• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Azure J

SolarKnight, would you still be up for some games? Or is the lag just too bad for you today?

This hurt. Cut deep. Right down to the bone.

loljkbombs&shots

Haha, didn't mean for it to sound like that, but as someone who still doesn't get how OTGs work in the game, seeing Solar put strands and hands in ass was just whoa for me. All I had going for myself were the occasional tick throws into nothing in the air with Valentine. Fortune got spayed every time she got into the match.

Azure J

SolarKnight vs. Karsticles: New Age of Quotewalls

This is nothing, you should have seen Marvel-GAF when we didn't have the "Quote User" feature. :p

@SolarK: Restanding is like that thing I was attempting where I'd use a Fortune NOM to catch someone before they were registered as lying down on the ground, correct?

This is nothing, you should have seen Marvel-GAF when we didn't have the "Quote User" feature. :p

@SolarK: Restanding is like that thing I was attempting where I'd use a Fortune NOM to catch someone before they were registered as lying down on the ground, correct?
Hahahaha, I remember those days. I had walls of text with no names assigned to any one given quote.

I really wish you had a PS3 so we could play. :p

Ravidrath

Can you elaborate on how a Skullgirls 2 would work at all?

As in...?

If you're looking for gameplay systems, etc. that's something you'd have to ask Mike.

...Although I'm not sure he's the type to just throw in new gameplay systems into a sequel just because.

I also don't think he's the type to hold a good idea back from this version of the game, either, just because. Like the new "undizzy" combo limiting system he's been playing with recently, improved super presentation, etc.

You should tune into Salty Cupcakes and ask him questions, though!

As in...?

If you're looking for gameplay systems, etc. that's something you'd have to ask Mike.

...Although I'm not sure he's the type to just throw in new gameplay systems into a sequel just because.

I also don't think he's the type to hold a good idea back from this version of the game, either, just because. Like the new "undizzy" combo limiting system he's been playing with recently.
Would it be a new game from scratch, or more of a considerably large character expansion with "2" put on it to help generate interest?

How is next-gen publishing stuff affecting things? Wii U and PS4 allow self-publishing, while MS does not. Wii U and PS4 also (supposedly) have no patch costs, while MS does. I'm wondering how the team is taking those developments, because right now I'm wondering why the game hasn't been announced for a Wii U port yet.

Skullgirls might be unique in that you will want it to come out for next-gen systems, yet it might be at its core the same game as it was on the PS3. Yet the PS4 will not be BC, so people who own Skullgirls on the PS3 have to rebuy the game they own (to some extent) on the PS4.

That's all the stuff I've been wondering in terms of the game's future.

Criticize my play, Beats. Tell me what I could have done better and what you could have done better. I want to help, but I'm probably going to be terrible at it since I'm about as dumb as a rock when it comes to the minutia of fighting games.
I'm surprised that with all the training features, there's nothing in the game to teach me a basic combo with each character. That's a major oversight (or am I having one for not noticing where those are?).
I might be exaggerating, but Mike has never seemed keen on some sort of mission mode. Makes me sad because this and online training mode have been my two most wanted things besides lobby and spectator. Oh well... I'm two out of four so far. The other two could still happen...
Just call me the Evo 2014 champ (lol).
I'm glad you are enthusiastic. It's gonna be a long and hard trip with the players this game has got. SG is definitely new age Guilty Gear in terms of the playerbase it attracts. There are some monsters out there that make me look like the runt of the litter. :()
Lower air dashes into j.LP (or j.LK, I forget) into j.HK (or HP, I forget!) for a low double overhead. Over and over until your opponent breaks with occasional lows thrown in. That's what Duckator did to me. :-(
The trial by fire. I know this feeling. I once played MightyMar (one of top three Anaks in the world for sure) for forty straight matches in VSav. It was a salty night for me and Lei Lei. :p
Your Parasoul combos last a good long time. I'm the real problem.
Really? My combos are crap compared to those that Disco or Keninblack would put you in. The higher the combo number the more meter you get so those guys would have you tossing out level threes all day!
This makes me want to pick up Double. I want to experiment with Sentinel/CapCom/Blackheart first, though.
I'd suggest working with a pair for now. Three characters can be really overwhelming to learn at once in this game.
I don't see why you couldn't call assists that high!
She can't call assists in flight, right? I don't keep track of these things even though I should.
I'm not a big fan of SF, but I now somehow main charge characters in my two main games. The problem is that I use them under unfavorable circumstances. Parasoul is all alone, and so is Shuma-Gorath. I think it might be good for me to use one as a "point" character to get better at the motions.
You'd be better off putting her in the front for a while to get extra practice. You can switch down the road.
Does the stop have recovery, or did you just keep getting hit?
Like I said... I barely use the character so I wouldn't know. It definitely has recovery and animations that would suggest it. I was being really loose about my stops, though. I'm sure a better player would take FAR less damage.
I will become Superman in that comic you posted.
Maybe to everyone else except me lol. This game is a combination of three of my top five fighting series of all time. I'm in my element and I only get stronger with each opponent. Of course, it's not an exponential growth. :p
Sharkin' around.
I see what you did there.
I watched it, too. So unless the moves were lying, or I was seeing it wrong...
I don't know tbh. Have you tried using her standing light punch charged against the CPU?
Are they going to remake everyone, or just add a ton of characters? I hope for the latter. Just fix Filia's face.
Huh?

I'm pretty sure they'll add new characters. Money isn't exactly easy to come by in this industry and I figure they'll use it to make the best cast for SG2. They've got more inside data on popularity than they could possibly handle right now.
It would actually really be something if Sony picked their team up. They seem interested in getting into fighting games what with PSAS and S-Kill, but they don't have any knowledge base outside of him. MikeZ should proposition them.
I'd have no problem with it so long as it doesn't involve Skullgirls. I don't want that IP tied to consoles after the mess we've had on our plates for the last week.

I'd rather become a part of campaign for a sequel.

Ravidrath

Would it be a new game from scratch, or more of a considerably large character expansion with "2" put on it to help generate interest?

Definitely not an entirely new game - you don't just throw away 14,000 frames of super-high res 2D animation.

So probably new characters and features.

How is next-gen publishing stuff affecting things? Wii U and PS4 allow self-publishing, while MS does not. Wii U and PS4 also (supposedly) have no patch costs, while MS does. I'm wondering how the team is taking those developments, because right now I'm wondering why the game hasn't been announced for a Wii U port yet.

Too soon for us to know.

And Autumn Games owns Skullgirls and we can't afford just to port willy-nilly, so we'll pretty much put it on whatever platform we're paid to.

But I haven't seen any data that suggests that the Wii-U eShop is as strong a platform as PSN or XBLA, so I don't think Wii-U would be a likely target now, even if it's a better platform for indies than XBLA.

Skullgirls might be unique in that you will want it to come out for next-gen systems, yet it might be at its core the same game as it was on the PS3. Yet the PS4 will not be BC, so people who own Skullgirls on the PS3 have to rebuy the game they own (to some extent) on the PS4.

This has all occurred to us, which is all I can really say about that at this point.

GGs Sloth

Not gonna lie, the first 20 or so matches were pretty free.

Then DoubleCock appeared...yeah that's hard to deal with. The Peacock/Parasoul/Double team is great for zoning in theory, but the problem it had was the reduced amount of life which really hurt it :/

I might be exaggerating, but Mike has never seemed keen on some sort of mission mode. Makes me sad because this and online training mode have been my two most wanted things besides lobby and spectator. Oh well... I'm two out of four so far. The other two could still happen...
I'm not saying a full-blown mission mode, just one combo for each character to get someone started. Just an ABC thing.

I'm glad you are enthusiastic. It's gonna be a long and hard trip with the players this game has got. SG is definitely new age Guilty Gear in terms of the playerbase it attracts. There are some monsters out there that make me look like the runt of the litter. :()
Duckator took it easy on me and gave me space sometimes, but sometimes he also went full-blown on me. I felt so helpless...He kept saying "Why aren't you blocking that?", and I would say "I really am trying, I promise." - lol. Also, at the time I didn't know that throws are 7F. I assumed they were 1F like in Marvel, so I kept trying to use them in blockstring gaps and getting counterhit. >.>

Really? My combos are crap compared to those that Disco or Keninblack would put you in. The higher the combo number the more meter you get so those guys would have you tossing out level threes all day!
I've seen longer combos than yours, I just mean that mine are super short and are the real problem, likely.

I'd suggest working with a pair for now. Three characters can be really overwhelming to learn at once in this game.
I often perform better when overwhelmed.

She can't call assists in flight, right? I don't keep track of these things even though I should.
Wat. How can you not know this after playing 40 matches with me flying around you and calling Napalm Pillar?

You'd be better off putting her in the front for a while to get extra practice. You can switch down the road.
Ew no.

Maybe to everyone else except me lol. This game is a combination of three of my top five fighting series of all time. I'm in my element and I only get stronger with each opponent. Of course, it's not an exponential growth. :p
I have periods of burst growth. I always stagnate for a while and then - BOOM - something clicks.

I don't know tbh. Have you tried using her standing light punch charged against the CPU?
Too tired right now, but I have tons of stuff to test the next time I play.

Huh?

I'm pretty sure they'll add new characters. Money isn't exactly easy to come by in this industry and I figure they'll use it to make the best cast for SG2. They've got more inside data on popularity than they could possibly handle right now.
I mean would it be Super Skullgirls with a "2" slapped on to make it look like a sequel, or an actual sequel? To me, a new number means a new game engine. And usually newly designed characters, even if they're veterans.

I'd have no problem with it so long as it doesn't involve Skullgirls. I don't want that IP tied to consoles after the mess we've had on our plates for the last week.

I'd rather become a part of campaign for a sequel.
I respect that.

Definitely not an entirely new game - you don't just throw away 14,000 frames of super-high res 2D animation.

So probably new characters and features.

Too soon for us to know.

And Autumn Games owns Skullgirls and we can't afford just to port willy-nilly, so we'll pretty much put it on whatever platform we're paid to.

But I haven't seen any data that suggests that the Wii-U eShop is as strong a platform as PSN or XBLA, so I don't think Wii-U would be a likely target now, even if it's a better platform for indies than XBLA.

This has all occurred to us, which is all I can really say about that at this point.
Thanks for all that.

El Sloth

Banned
ggs, SolarKnight

Man, I'm really angry with myself. I absolutely hate that I had to rely on Peacock/Double in the end. I wanna make my Peacock/Parasoul work, but anyone who plays me can clearly see I have just not put in the proper amount of time into learning her properly. I just completely rely on reading my opponent (and failing) and attempting to train them to move like how I want them to (ditto). And god I was dropping so much stuff. Simple stuff like Light dp gun into super.

And my god damn shin hurts after that creepy laughed startled me and made me slip out of my chair.

I'm gonna have to stop being a baby and just spend a day or two devoted to learning Parasoul properly. I'm just so lazy.

Well, for starters, I'd definitely say that Napalm Shot is NOT the assist you want. Even though I think Napalm Pillar is better, Egret Charge does have things going for it too.

@Ken: Hey, he was the one with it :V

El Sloth

Banned
Doublecock name is too lewd.

I've made Napalm shot work in the past, but it's definitely no good in that matchup. I was just experimenting. It's more handy when I run into another peacock or parasoul. It's nice for some crossup teleport shenanigans, but that didn't really matter since I kept messing up my teleports for whatever reason. Sloth fingers.

E.Charge has that going for it too, but it's a bit slower and more obvious. I think pillar might be the way to go.

By the way, I notice you never tried to air grab me on incoming. I think that'd be a nice mixup to throw out every now and then when you're making me thing you're going for the crossup assist.

Oh yeah I can do that can't I?

Speaking of air grabs, I know that supposedly HK Airball should combo out of it, and yet I can NEVER get it to come out what the hell.

A question just popped into my mind, Peter. You guys have reached out to Yamane for new character themes. Does this mean you see yourselves working with Vincent Diamante again for SG2? I like Yamane's music, but most of my favorite tracks were his. I loved his music in flower and his work in SG was lovely. I'd love to see him back on SG even if only for a few tracks.
I'm not saying a full-blown mission mode, just one combo for each character to get someone started. Just an ABC thing.
I'd prefer more tbh...
Duckator took it easy on me and gave me space sometimes, but sometimes he also went full-blown on me. I felt so helpless...He kept saying "Why aren't you blocking that?", and I would say "I really am trying, I promise." - lol. Also, at the time I didn't know that throws are 7F. I assumed they were 1F like in Marvel, so I kept trying to use them in blockstring gaps and getting counterhit. >.>
I would have pissed him off. Lucky for him you look like a faster learner.
I've seen longer combos than yours, I just mean that mine are super short and are the real problem, likely.
Gotcha
Wat. How can you not know this after playing 40 matches with me flying around you and calling Napalm Pillar?
I told you I'm weird. I don't recall anything in detail. It all sits in my brain via flashes, feels and general gameplay ideas pertaining to a particular player. It's not like this is me all the time either. It is pretty fighting game specific. Your particular mixup approach is ingrained into my brain at this very moment along with your grab patterns, but I can't recall the visuals of your assist habits.

Don't look at me like I'm a freak!
I mean would it be Super Skullgirls with a "2" slapped on to make it look like a sequel, or an actual sequel? To me, a new number means a new game engine. And usually newly designed characters, even if they're veterans.
Ah, I'm used to playing smaller games backed by less money so I'm perfectly content with the same base system with new characters. If SG2 happens after we get the relevant story trio (Dahlia, Umbrella and Marie) that could put us at a total of 24 characters (hoping for eight new SG2 characters). That is a lot more assist variety than anything the versus style of games has ever seen. It'll have a gigantic story mode and more Yamane tunes than we could possibly imagine.

The amount of character variety alone would be something only rivaled by stuff like SFIV and Guilty Gear. I'd say BB, but ASW has taken forever to get that formula right...
You better get it to work so Solar will stop using DoubleCock.
Don't tell me SolarKnight is the best guy on the Xbox side of things. This will be amazing if so lol.

There can only be one.

El Sloth

Banned
Oh yeah I can do that can't I?

Speaking of air grabs, I know that supposedly HK Airball should combo out of it, and yet I can NEVER get it to come out what the hell.
I'm pretty sure that's a reset, not a combo. You shouldn't be able to grab anything in hitstun (unless it's one of those attack grab which I'm pretty sure she doesn't have).

In which case, you're just grabbing too soon.

I would have pissed him off. Lucky for him you look like a faster learner.
I'd like to think I'm fun to play with because I have a good attitude and laugh constantly. I laugh when I lose, I laugh when I win, and I laugh at other people, too. I just laugh and smile a lot in person. Somehow the internet makes me come off as an angry person, I think. I'm very argumentative IRL, but arguing puts a smile on my face. ;-D I even laugh while walking by matches and seeing people get bodied.

In one match, Duckator let me beat up his first character while I practiced a combo he taught me. Then we played normally, and I won. I told him I was going to go around telling everyone that I beat Duckator in a match after a day of playing, hahaha. He has a good sense of humor and smiles a lot, too - I hope to see him at locals one last time before I leave Chicago, if I get to go again.
I told you I'm weird. I don't recall anything in detail. It all sits in my brain via flashes, feels and general gameplay ideas pertaining to a particular player. It's not like this is me all the time either. It is pretty fighting game specific. Your particular mixup approach is ingrained into my brain at this very moment along with your grab patterns, but I can't recall the visuals of your assist habits.

Don't look at me like I'm a freak!
No worries, I can't even look at you,
freak

I learned some new resets today via youtube videos. I am going to turn Painwheel into a reset monster. Oh yeah, and on that note, you are amazing at blocking the Napalm Pillar cross-ups I do. You blocked more of those than anyone I fought against this weekend. How do you pull that off so well? I even wobble back and forth over your head sometimes to mess with you and you still block it.

Ah, I'm used to playing smaller games backed by less money so I'm perfectly content with the same base system with new characters. If SG2 happens after we get the relevant story trio (Dahlia, Umbrella and Marie) that could put us at a total of 24 characters (hoping for eight new SG2 characters). That is a lot more assist variety than anything the versus style of games has ever seen. It'll have a gigantic story mode and more Yamane tunes than we could possibly imagine.
I'm cool with that, too. I'm sure most fans of the game would as well. I just wonder how marketable that would be as a true sequel.

And how do we not have Marie as a character? She's the final boss, right? Which means she has a moveset.

The amount of character variety alone would be something only rivaled by stuff like SFIV and Guilty Gear. I'd say BB, but ASW has taken forever to get that formula right...
I'm curious to see how they continue to diversify the cast. The cast has a lot of unique ideas going on, and it's not easy to keep that ball rolling. BB characters are mostly GG rehashes.

El Sloth

Banned
What are arcade endings like? Do I get to see a healed Painwheel or anything cool like that?
It's been so long that I don't even remember if arcade mode had anything after beating it. I think it only had a thank you message?

I'm pretty sure they saved all the story stuff for, well, story mode. In which case
yeah you do see a, sorta, healed Carol. Just not in Painwheel's ending! You'll have to play Filia's for that I believe.

I'd like to think I'm fun to play with because I have a good attitude and laugh constantly. I laugh when I lose, I laugh when I win, and I laugh at other people, too. I just laugh and smile a lot in person. Somehow the internet makes me come off as an angry person, I think. I'm very argumentative IRL, but arguing puts a smile on my face. ;-D I even laugh while walking by matches and seeing people get bodied.

In one match, Duckator let me beat up his first character while I practiced a combo he taught me. Then we played normally, and I won. I told him I was going to go around telling everyone that I beat Duckator in a match after a day of playing, hahaha. He has a good sense of humor and smiles a lot, too - I hope to see him at locals one last time before I leave Chicago, if I get to go again.
No worries, I can't even look at you,
freak
Great stuff

I'm happy him playing with you managed to make you this interested. Lord knows I never could have done it over the net.
I learned some new resets today via youtube videos. I am going to turn Painwheel into a reset monster. Oh yeah, and on that note, you are amazing at blocking the Napalm Pillar cross-ups I do. You blocked more of those than anyone I fought against this weekend. How do you pull that off so well? I even wobble back and forth over your head sometimes to mess with you and you still block it.
Sounds like you are going to play the Painwheel that Mike intended.

The blocking just comes natural to me. You get used to it after a year of harsh Vampire Savior drills and scary fights against Painwheel. She was much faster in Vanilla SG to the point that she would have dominated the game if it weren't for hornet bomber.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PendulumCancel/videos?flow=grid&view=0

What my early SG days were like against one of the scariest Painwheels at first. I have no recent gameplay footage that would show how much I've evolved... but there is no way I'd get curb stomped like that again.
I'm cool with that, too. I'm sure most fans of the game would as well. I just wonder how marketable that would be as a true sequel.

And how do we not have Marie as a character? She's the final boss, right? Which means she has a moveset.
BlazBlue went on to sell 1.8 million copies worldwide as a series so I'd say this model will work wonderfully for Skullgirls.

About Marie... it is a matter of funding and time. Ultimately the time and money just ran out. Squigly would have been next in line had they had more space for the game, but work on her stopped one third of the way through thanks to last year's lawsuit that put Autumn's cash flow on hold. Marie's gameplay ideas are about as solid as Regina's at this point which isn't saying much. The boss version is just an entirely different type of character meant to dominate as a boss. Both Alex and Mike probably have an idea of how they'd want her to play competitively, but they'd still have to pick from hundreds of moves that the animators will give them so... every character is starting from a blank slate.
I'm curious to see how they continue to diversify the cast. The cast has a lot of unique ideas going on, and it's not easy to keep that ball rolling. BB characters are mostly GG rehashes.
It shouldn't be too hard if you've read their gameplay descriptions. I could hardly find a single character that overlapped with someone else.
What are arcade endings like? Do I get to see a healed Painwheel or anything cool like that?
Most of them are grim endings. Painwheel's ending made Mike cry. I gotta admit I caught some feels from that ending too. Also, Parasoul is the best.

It is sad that her standing overhead would turn some people off from the character so quickly. :/

DarkSloth

Finished my first ever matches of SG. Took my solo-PainWheel for a ride through ranked and instantly became an idiot who gets hit by everything. It was a little rough because it was taking a long time to find any matches. First match was against a solo peacock that was decent at zoning. I hit everything and anything. Ended quickly. After half an hour I found my third match. It was close, I completed about 1/3 of a combo. He was doing almost equally bad but at least he would random super me. He beat me and I felt pretty bad that I got knocked into tier 1.

After maybe 5-8 minutes of searching for another match, I get a message on my inbox. I was pretty excited. Maybe some of the guys I played would want to do some matches since it was so hard to find some ranked. Or even just a fellow SG fan wanting to say some kind words. Well of course it wasn't. The message was:

"Next time do some original combos! You copy + paste fuckin player"

God daaamn. This got me pretty good. First of all I don't know why that message took so long. He either types pretty slow or he was fuming for a while at my inferior skills. Secondly, I never even completed a single combo. I kept flight cancelling my cr. mk and landing on his punches. Who is pasting all these drops for me to copy. Thirdly, I don't want to be mean because I'm a terrible player, but he wasn't any good either. And i'm pretty sure i've seen hairball into super before. After all that, I did find 2 or 3 people I could connect to on ranked without much waiting. Worked my way up from tier 1 to the godlike tier 2, again.

Overall, fun time actually playing against people. I just want to get my sea legs in skullgirls before I go to salty cupcakes.

It's been so long that I don't even remember if arcade mode had anything after beating it. I think it only had a thank you message?

I'm pretty sure they saved all the story stuff for, well, story mode. In which case
yeah you do see a, sorta, healed Carol. Just not in Painwheel's ending! You'll have to play Filia's for that I believe.
I know all the endings. :p I just want to know if I get art. I'm curious about the face behind the mask.

Great stuff

I'm happy him playing with you managed to make you this interested. Lord knows I never could have done it over the net.
Naw, it wasn't Duckator that made me interested. I had played for a good 10 hours before he sat down. It was just me in training mode that got me into the game. Once I flew around with Painwheel, I knew I had to keep going.

Sounds like you are going to play the Painwheel that Mike intended.
Tell me all about what I'm supposed to be doing, hahaha!

The blocking just comes natural to me. You get used to it after a year of harsh Vampire Savior drills and scary fights against Painwheel. She was much faster in Vanilla SG to the point that she would have dominated the game if it weren't for hornet bomber.
Even in Marvel, you have really impressive blocking. You consistently block my Firebrand overheads.
https://www.youtube.com/user/PendulumCancel/videos?flow=grid&view=0

What my early SG days were like against one of the scariest Painwheels at first. I have no recent gameplay footage that would show how much I've evolved... but there is no way I'd get curb stomped like that again.
Which video?

BlazBlue went on to sell 1.8 million copies worldwide as a series so I'd say this model will work wonderfully for Skullgirls.
True.

About Marie... it is a matter of funding and time. Ultimately the time and money just ran out. Squigly would have been next in line had they had more space for the game, but work on her stopped one third of the way through thanks to last year's lawsuit that put Autumn's cash flow on hold. Marie's gameplay ideas are about as solid as Regina's at this point which isn't saying much. The boss version is just an entirely different type of character meant to dominate as a boss. Both Alex and Mike probably have an idea of how they'd want her to play competitively, but they'd still have to pick from hundreds of moves that the animators will give them so... every character is starting from a blank slate.
It just seems like it would have been a better idea to make her into a normal character with a "boss" mode version a la SSFIVAE. With so little cash flow, every character counts. Who really cares about an arcade mode boss? That's not the audience for this game.

Most of them are grim endings. Painwheel's ending made Mike cry. I gotta admit I caught some feels from that ending too. Also, Parasoul is the best.
I thought Painwheel's ending has her seeking revenge (?).

It is sad that her standing overhead would turn some people off from the character so quickly. :/
What's wrong with her standing overheadS?
I know you only use the b.HK one!

Finished my first ever matches of SG. Took my solo-PainWheel for a ride through ranked and instantly became an idiot who gets hit by everything.
Solo Painwheel FTW.

Ken

Finished my first ever matches of SG. Took my solo-PainWheel for a ride through ranked and instantly became an idiot who gets hit by everything. It was a little rough because it was taking a long time to find any matches. First match was against a solo peacock that was decent at zoning. I hit everything and anything. Ended quickly. After half an hour I found my third match. It was close, I completed about 1/3 of a combo. He was doing almost equally bad but at least he would random super me. He beat me and I felt pretty bad that I got knocked into tier 1.

After maybe 5-8 minutes of searching for another match, I get a message on my inbox. I was pretty excited. Maybe some of the guys I played would want to do some matches since it was so hard to find some ranked. Or even just a fellow SG fan wanting to say some kind words. Well of course it wasn't. The message was:

God daaamn. This got me pretty good. First of all I don't know why that message took so long. He either types pretty slow or he was fuming for a while at my inferior skills. Secondly, I never even completed a single combo. I kept flight cancelling my cr. mk and landing on his punches. Who is pasting all these drops for me to copy. Thirdly, I don't want to be mean because I'm a terrible player, but he wasn't any good either. And i'm pretty sure i've seen hairball into super before. After all that, I did find 2 or 3 people I could connect to on ranked without much waiting. Worked my way up from tier 1 to the godlike tier 2, again.

Overall, fun time actually playing against people. I just want to get my sea legs in skullgirls before I go to salty cupcakes.

at least you get games

i get rejected at input delay screen

Naw, it wasn't Duckator that made me interested. I had played for a good 10 hours before he sat down. It was just me in training mode that got me into the game. Once I flew around with Painwheel, I knew I had to keep going.
It's too bad you couldn't get your hands on it sooner. You would have been here a year ago and maybe you'd actually have a chance at winning the EVO tournament this year. :p
Tell me all about what I'm supposed to be doing, hahaha!

Which video?
Watch anything on that channel involving Skyking and you'll be on your way there. The earliest videos were painful for me to watch, but I don't mind uploading a one sided match if I'm on the losing side.
Even in Marvel, you have really impressive blocking. You consistently block my Firebrand overheads.
My best Mahvel match regarding blocking was probably a fight against a Spencer player in Vanilla who had a Shin Megami Tensei avatar(iirc). He is a gaffer too. That was around the time that defense became the ultimate goal for me thanks to VSav. My blocking against Beats earlier was on point as well. If I uploaded that footage(which I didn't capture) you'd be AMAZED at how well the blocking turned out against Filia.

Edit: The Spencer post...

Edit#2: That page really takes me back haha.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31178949&postcount=1716
It just seems like it would have been a better idea to make her into a normal character with a "boss" mode version a la SSFIVAE. With so little cash flow, every character counts. Who really cares about an arcade mode boss? That's not the audience for this game.
True
I thought Painwheel's ending has her seeking revenge (?).
Seeking revenge after being seen as a monster by her loved ones.

Yeah...
What's wrong with her standing overheadS?
I know you only use the b.HK one!
I use both, but her b.hk shows her pantsu. I find it perfectly natural considering she is a leggy 5'10" woman, but I remember people making a big deal out of it when SG launched.

:/

This thread being active again is nice to see. :)

Everyone is talking about Skullgirls 2? But all the Skullgirls 1 content isn't out yet.

Really a Super Skullgirls is what I would go for, but you have to think about the PC version. Do you have a whole new game? DLC updates?

In any case, it is cool that a game that six months ago was dead in the water now has a bright future ahead of it!

Jintor

Hi i don't play the videogames but I do like the skullgirls

here is a lady dressed as beowulf

tumblr_mnh18oZyJl1rq54h8o1_r1_500.jpg

Kioshen

I don't want to sound like I'm insulting you, but I remember our first fight now. It feels like you spend more time practicing combos than spacing and fundamentals. Also, I think you really got shaken up after three or so matches, didn't you?

Don't get shook, man. GG btw

That's also my problem. How do you practice spacing and fundamentals? Combo are straight forward you just do drills until it's learned.

El Sloth

Banned

Well, that sucks. If anything, you should look at this as proof that you're doing the right things so far.

Will look forward to seeing you make Mike Z nerf Painwheel live on stream after trouncing him with your copy&paste combos!
Hi i don't play the videogames but I do like the skullgirls

here is a lady dressed as beowulf

http://25.media.tumblr.com/15bbdaaa845a281ff24c5f6d256ac1bf/tumblr_mnh18oZyJl1rq54h8o1_r1_500.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
Hello. Don't let the great wall of texts between Karst and Solar intimidate you.

Beckx

I'm sure they see the need for that too, it's just like the other items they are adding over time.

Skullgirls |OT| Home of the DoubleCock

5000 replies
10 posters

LOL.

One of the endings has this. I just can't remember if it's Filia's or Painwheel's.

*online salt story*

Man, this is why I hate XBL. The idea of getting "you suck" mail makes me anxious (it shouldn't, I know). So I end up limiting myself to playing only people I know, which makes for more fun but also means I hardly ever play.

It's too bad you couldn't get your hands on it sooner. You would have been here a year ago and maybe you'd actually have a chance at winning the EVO tournament this year. :p
Haha, I wouldn't go to Evo anyway. Too expensive with all the travel and such.

Watch anything on that channel involving Skyking and you'll be on your way there. The earliest videos were painful for me to watch, but I don't mind uploading a one sided match if I'm on the losing side.
K.

Seeking revenge after being seen as a monster by her loved ones.

Yeah...
Sounds like a good story.

I use both, but her b.hk shows her pantsu. I find it perfectly natural considering she is a leggy 5'10" woman, but I remember people making a big deal out of it when SG launched.

:/
LOL. Well, people get upset about all kinds of things just to see if other people will get upset with them. Sometimes I think that in our fractured society, where many people's closest friends exist only in digital form, the one way the isolated can try and feel some semblance of community is by bonding over the things that offend them.

That's also my problem. How do you practice spacing and fundamentals? Combo are straight forward you just do drills until it's learned.
I'm the opposite. :p Spacing comes naturally to me, I just have poor execution to pull it off.

One of the endings has this. I just can't remember if it's Filia's or Painwheel's.
Like, full-on art of her face and such? I don't just want a text story. That's what I'm curious about. I know it's Filia's.

Beckx

Like, full-on art of her face and such? I don't just want a text story. That's what I'm curious about. I know it's Filia's.

Yep.
You can see the scars where she had the mask removed but she's drawn with a sweet, charming smile. It was a nice bit.

Just finished Painwheel's story. LOL @ these endings having more effort put into them than Marvel's.

Can someone explain the HSD system to me?

Beats

You scared the crap out of me with Filia's first combo, mang. I went from regular Solarpowered to a Kryptonian powered by motherfucking Rigel in the span of ten seconds and everything went black until we hit a certain number of matches that I won't disclose.

I don't even

I don't want to sound like I'm insulting you, but I remember our first fight now. It feels like you spend more time practicing combos than spacing and fundamentals. Also, I think you really got shaken up after three or so matches, didn't you?

Don't get shook, man. GG btw

Yeah, I definitely wasn't thinking properly after the first few matches. I mostly practice combos and resets in training, but I'm not entirely sure where I could practice my spacing/fundamentals outside of real matches. Don't worry I don't feel insulted lol. It was a bit of a blur for me.

- Parasoul's j.HP seems to stuff my air approaches. I feel like I should use my DP more and stick to the ground if you're coming from the air. Or distance myself.
- I dropped a bunch of combos when I was facing left..I'm not sure what was going on there.
- I need to get better at blocking. You caught me a number of times with a dash in low after a jump in attack or after a blocked Napalm shot.

- There were a number of times where you made some bad assist calls which let me combo both your characters.
- You did a lot of up back in the corner with Peacock. I blame myself for not air grabbing you when you were doing that. >.<

I think that's all. There's probably more, but eh. You've gotten better though (Or I've gotten worse haha). First time I fought you I went 15-15, but this time I was 0-15 lol.

Kioshen

Just finished Painwheel's story. LOL @ these endings having more effort put into them than Marvel's.

Can someone explain the HSD system to me?

Here's the IPS (Infinite Prevention System) in a nutshell : "Don't start a chain with something you've already hit with" is the only rule. The exception is your first jumpin sequence, first ground chain and first air combo. - MikeZ

There's no HSD system in SG like Marvel. There's plenty of ways to do infinites in SG but you can get out of it. Also you get nothing for free when you start a combo from a throw. The IPS is alive and active right from the get go.SRK's wiki has a pretty good summary of it. Things changed for the better in the slightly different edition :

• The IPS now counts standing, crouching and command normal attacks of the same button strength as the same attack.
  • The IPS now counts all strengths of a given special move as the same attack.
  • The IPS Infinity Breaker hit-sparks no longer show up on anything except the point character.
  • The IPS now counts Tag-In attacks.
  • All tags and DHCs now start you at the correct IPS stage when comboed into.
  • IPS now correctly handles 1-frame links. For example, in Parasoul's s.LK->s.HP xx LP Napalm Shot, s.LK->s.HP, tear explosion, s.LK, the last s.LK is now correctly flagged by IPS every time.
  • IPS state no longer continues across zero-frame resets.
  • Without a jump-in attack, your first ground combo no longer erroneously counts as your jump-in chain.

Beckx

Along the newbie question line, can I get confirmation whether I'm understanding SG's definition of chains right? A "chain" is a series of connected moves from a certain state (grounded or jumping). So c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lp, j.hp contains four chains: the first ground chain, the first air chain, the second ground chain, and the second air chain.

Is that right?

Kioshen

Along the newbie question line, can I get confirmation whether I'm understanding SG's definition of chains right? A "chain" is a series of connected moves from a certain state (grounded or jumping). So c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lp, j.hp contains four chains: the first ground chain, the first air chain, the second ground chain, and the second air chain.

Is that right?

Short answer : Yes

Long answer : A chain is a sequence of commands that you input that cancels itself while you input it. You can't chain a ground sequence to an air sequence because you need to get up there to do it and you can't cancel the "jumping part" if you know what I mean. It does work because the hit stun is lenient enough to leave you enough for your character to get up there and continue with another chain. This is why most combos you see written for SG splits up chains one per line. Easier to read, easier to develop resets and branch out if needed be. Like so :

cr.LK, cr.mp, cr.hp jump
j.lk, j.HK land
cr.LK, cr.MK jump
j.MP, j.HK land
cr.mp, cr.HP jump
j.LP LP LP LP LP LP land
s.LP, s.LP, s.MK, s.HP xx qcf+LP xx qcf+PP

Azure J

All the activity in here has me kinda pumped to do like a week of Skullgirls and see if I can finally get down some BnBs in the process.

Sloth, I'm very curious about something I forgot to mention before. How did my neutral and movement (especially movement) look to you? I still have things to iron out like how I use my triggers with a two punch macro (leading to the numerous raw knives/Furzerker Purrages in that set) and how to keep Fortune's head somewhere between a half way distance between the opponent and myself so I keep my options available at all times.

Top Bottom