• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

El Sloth

Banned
That bomb super combo Chilldog does should also be possible with Parasoul's egret charge super instead of cerebella's, right? I need to go into the lab later.

Ravidrath

First Beowulf cosplay at Fanime!

tumblr_mndbw4iWFz1rq54h8o1_500.jpg

Masaki_

Good stuff from Duckator. Not only did he win, he also provide the most insightful SG commentary in a while. Game could definitely use better commentators, to be honest.

So tragic that Ultradavid prefers SFxT over SG, but oh well.

El Sloth

Banned
Good stuff from Duckator. Not only did he win, he also provide the most insightful SG commentary in a while. Game could definitely use better commentators, to be honest.

So tragic that Ultradavid prefers SFxT over SG, but oh well.
Was this a troll on RabidDuckie? Well done, if so.

So am I right in thinking that we're in a weird limbo between this thread and the DLC character voting thread for Skullgirls news?

Might as well report the news in the other thread here: the person who owned the rights to Juju finally got their contract sorted for passing the rights to LZ, only to immediately break the contract by blabbing about it. Ravidrath (and therefore LZ) has now given up on Juju entirely.

What I actually came in here to ask:

Given that Version 3, or Squigly Edition, or whatever we're calling it is out in two months or so, I'm kinda experimenting with teams beyond Team Chris G at the moment. Innovatively I've stuck Double at the back, so my current team is now Fortune/Parasoul/Double.

I'm really new to Double though, so I'm wondering how much I actually need to know with the character to do okay? At the moment I'm just mucking around with catheads and her BnB stuff, but as she'll be playing the role of anchor in a game with double snapbacks, I kinda need to know if she has really good solo strategies given her lack of an air dash.

El Sloth

Banned
I'm personally leaning to the name "Squigly Edition."

Why not try playing her solo for a while, Huw, to give you a better idea on what to do as the anchor for your team proper.

Kioshen

Double seems better at the back really. Abuse her butt assist then abuse her cat head lv1 super with all the meter you've build up FTW.

El Sloth

Banned
If I'm going to buy this game, it should be on the PS3, right?

Also, all the DLC characters will be free I heard - true?
Oh, wow. Cool. I'm guessing you played some casuals at UFGT and liked what you saw?

PSN version is the one with the largest playerbase and higher quality players at the moment. Steam version may very well end up being the definitive version though.

All the DLC characters funded through the IndieGoGo campaign will be free on all platforms for the first three months after they're released. That's 5 free characters. The first one, Squigly, is coming this Summer along with a big new balance patch.

Kioshen

Guess I'll repost it here but that was my response the fgc weekly thread :

Oh man that's a real bummer about the stick Karst but glad you liked Skullgirls ! Right now every version is now patched to the latest version and should be that way for a while. Actually the better version will probably end up being the PC version because you'll have access to the test versions and less hassle waiting for patches. You can pre-order it on lab zero's store. In any case, you can't go wrong right now with any version of SG.

Free forever for anyone who downloads them during the first three months(time is subject to change) after release. The important thing is to snap each one up right after they pop out the oven.
Big Band Cosplay at ComiCon Puerto Rico!
This guy should have put out a video of himself performing Big Band's inevitable first move.

Dat 2x standing light punch

*honk honk*

El Sloth

Banned
Haha, I just noticed the loafers that the Beowulf cosplayers has on. Nice attention to detail. Now I'm wondering how the hell he fights in those though.

Guess I'll repost it here but that was my response the fgc weekly thread :

Oh man that's a real bummer about the stick Karst but glad you liked Skullgirls ! Right now every version is now patched to the latest version and should be that way for a while. Actually the better version will probably end up being the PC version because you'll have access to the test versions and less hassle waiting for patches. You can pre-order it on lab zero's store. In any case, you can't go wrong right now with any version of SG.

Slight disclaimer for this: it's the Backer option you want, the Pre and Pro-orderer tiers are intended for "pre-ordering" the DLC, whereby each character is going to be free for three months after release anyways.

NEO0MJ

Double seems better at the back really. Abuse her butt assist then abuse her cat head lv1 super with all the meter you've build up FTW.

Also use the funny car on reaction to everything.

Haha, I just noticed the loafers that the Beowulf cosplayers has on. Nice attention to detail. Now I'm wondering how the hell he fights in those though.

I true gentleman always handicaps himself against weaker opponents. Kinda like how Oro ties a hand behind his back.

Alright SolarPowered, let me have it - any and all feedback is appreciated. I clearly don't know what to do with Parasoul beyond j.HP for spacing and throwing out charge moves. Yours is amazing, though.

Also, it's ironic that I came all the way from Marvel to Skullgirls to find that Spiral Swords is still in the game. What do I do when Double does the road car hyper?

El Sloth

Banned
jesus

The poor spelling was a creepy/nice touch.
Also, it's ironic that I came all the way from Marvel to Skullgirls to find that Spiral Swords is still in the game. What do I do when Double does the road car hyper?
Spiral Swords? Hahaha, I'm guessing you mean Double's catellite heads super? I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison.

All you should do is block when Double does her car super. The player can control which side it comes from, so beware of shenanigans. It's not a bad idea to start off blocking as if it's coming from behind you first and then appropriately adjust from wherever the car is coming at you from.

Double will always appear right in front of you after the car super, hit or block, leaving her open to a full combo punish, throw, etc.

Beats

Like if the Double player just threw it out there outside a combo and you have to block/avoid it? The direction of the dust indicates which side the car will come from. I think if it goes the opposite direction the car will be behind you.

Alright SolarPowered, let me have it - any and all feedback is appreciated. I clearly don't know what to do with Parasoul beyond j.HP for spacing and throwing out charge moves. Yours is amazing, though.

Some key things before we touch upon your own game.

*Cerebella's level 3 (diamond punch) absorbs all damage and gives it right back to her opponent. I don't think it can be stopped at all so that should be avoided at all costs. I can't be arsed to use her diamond dynamo level 1 super either and it is the most damaging level 1 in the game. Beware those two supers. They'll ruin your day.
*Peacock's big bomb level 1 hits both opponents and users. Best be careful with that when your life is low. If someone uses it recklessly throw all the projectiles you can since it'll move the bomb and it'll take enough damage to blow up in their face instead. I like tossing it out and DHC'ing into inferno brigade against a low health Ms.Fortune who lost her head. It's the easiest chip win in the game.
*Parasoul can beat Peacock's Argus agony if she uses sniper shot after blocking the initial laser. Also, RC soldier can absorb the laser or the volley of tiny pellets, not both at the same time.
*Parasoul's level 3 can be roman cancelled using her light kick RC soldier. Very useful for some extra damage. Use it to set up some tears or overhead game with an assist at the very least.
*Double's cat heads makes most of Double's moves pretty safe. This is especially true for her hornet bomber. Don't try to beat it unless you have three bars with Parasoul or Peacock with a big bomb super up your sleeve.
*Parasoul's egret charge motorcycle soldier hitting means you better start dashing forward like hell. He'll drag the opponent across the stage. Easiest hit confirm in the game.
*Parasoul's motorcycle super isn't very good if you ask me, but it has the distinct advantage of protecting you from the left and the right sides so it'll come in useful against teleporters like Peacock. Don't expect it to save you from Double's Bionic car and don't use it unless you are going to hit or DHC into a safe super. Sniper shot and that motorcycle super are both horribly unsafe on block.

Now... to move onto the part I'm horrible at. Your Painwheel is really good for a day 2 Painwheel. You just have to be conscious of one fact, though. Skullgirls is a game full of exaggerated characters. Each of these characters represents some of the best you'll see in their archetype. Parasoul has amazing normals so she won't take no guff from Painwheel's aerial dominance. You made excellent use of Painwheel's ground grabs, air grabs and Buer Reapers in the air, but you could definitely benefit from some more combo practice. Painwheel probably hits the second or third hardest in the entire game. You could literally wipe out seventy percent of my point character's health with a good starting combo and a reset. Don't use Pinion dash. It is not very good. Disco will tell you more about that. Also, be mindful of the opponent you are fighting when you want to take to the air. Painwheel can't flight cancel safely like Morrigan so she is a sitting duck in the air against someone like Parasoul with her sniper shot super. Most other characters don't have an immediate answer to her flight so you are good there.

Your Parasoul reminds me of Chris G's Parasoul. She seems ornamental like she is just there to make Painwheel work. She is no Captain Commando. She is like the valedictorian of charge characters, napalm corridors and Guilty Gear Roman cancels. The only characters safer than Parasoul are Filia, Ms.Fortune and Double with meter (this doesn't count Peacock paired with Double... run for your life if you see that team). Make better use of her light punch in all instances. It is good in the air and on the ground. It'll beat out most anything if you use it correctly and hit confirming into combos afterwards is a joke. A key thing for the corner gameplay is to try and use crouching short+crouching medium kick since it causes an automatic restand even after throws. It's very useful with the right assists in the corner. When you are in the corner abuse the living hell out of her overheads as well. Parasoul has two excellent overheads in forward light punch and backwards heavy kick and Painwheel's multi hitting crouching medium punch complements this aspect of Parasoul's game very well(sorta like a mini cerecopter assist which you saw at work in a few of our matches). Your combos off her grab were non existent. You gotta hit those combos. It is valuable damage, but you already know that. Also... did you ever DHC into Parasoul's Inferno Brigade level 3? I could have sworn that there were some instances where you could have called out Parasoul's inferno brigade, but you didn't. All level 2 supers and above cost one bar less as a DHC so go nuts with that if you want to kill a dangerous character.

Now go bug Disco so you can make my life a living hell with Painwheel.
Oh my God

Pls... renegotiate the contract, Ravi.

I didn't need to see that.

El Sloth

Banned
Solar, can you still roman cancel Parasoul's level 3 if you DHC into it? I keep trying and failing and I'm not sure if it's just me or if she just can't do it if I DHC into it.

Like if the Double player just threw it out there outside a combo and you have to block/avoid it? The direction of the dust indicates which side the car will come from. I think if it goes the opposite direction the car will be behind you.
Oh, I never realized that. Sweet.

Ken

Sometimes I feel like I should get the game in PS3 but then I would be introducing the horror of my connection to PSN so Idunno.

Spiral Swords? Hahaha, I'm guessing you mean Double's catellite heads super?I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison.

All you can do, or should do, is block when Double does her car super. The player can control which side it comes from, so beware of shenanigans. It's not a bad idea to start off blocking as if it's coming from behind you first and then appropriately adjust from wherever the car is coming at you from.

Double will always appear right in front of you after the car super, hit or block, leaving her open to a full combo punish, throw, etc.
Spiral Swords ends sooner. :p

Are those little heads doing chip damage? I was in constant panic mode and didn't even look at my life bar while those are out. At first I thought they all hit low so I really freaked out, haha.

Is the car hyper invincible during its entire duration?

When dust the dust appear?

*Cerebella's level 3 (diamond punch) absorbs all damage and gives it right back to her opponent. I don't think it can be stopped at all so that should be avoided at all costs. I can't be arsed to use her diamond dynamo level 1 super either and it is the most damaging level 1 in the game. Beware those two supers. They'll ruin your day.
I've been wondering about how slow that move is. I'm pretty good at avoiding the command grab in most situations. A Cerebella I played used it every chance he got this weekend.

*Peacock's big bomb level 1 hits both opponents and users. Best be careful with that when your life is low. If someone uses it recklessly throw all the projectiles you can since it'll move the bomb and it'll take enough damage to blow up in their face instead. I like tossing it out and DHC'ing into inferno brigade against a low health Ms.Fortune who lost her head. It's the easiest chip win in the game.
Won't Peacock's projectiles push it more than I could ever hope to, though? She can fire out so many compared to my characters.

*Parasoul can beat Peacock's Argus agony if she uses sniper shot after blocking the initial laser. Also, RC soldier can absorb the laser or the volley of tiny pellets, not both at the same time.
Oh right, I forgot that. Everyone overloaded me with information this weekend, I could only retain so much.
*Parasoul's level 3 can be roman cancelled using her light kick RC soldier. Very useful for some extra damage. Use it to set up some tears or overhead game with an assist at the very least.
I know, I just always forget to do it until it's too late. :p I only started playing Parasoul yesterday.

*Double's cat heads makes most of Double's moves pretty safe. This is especially true for her hornet bomber. Don't try to beat it unless you have three bars with Parasoul or Peacock with a big bomb super up your sleeve.
What's Hornet Bomber?

*Parasoul's egret charge motorcycle soldier hitting means you better start dashing forward like hell. He'll drag the opponent across the stage. Easiest hit confirm in the game.
Hey now, that's just not fair. I comboed off of that a good 50% of the time. I'm just getting used to multiple ground dashes with Parasoul. No wavedashing or plink dashing is killing me.

*Double's Bionic car is a tricky one. There are different ways to beat it. Invincible supers can power through it if done right(Parasoul's inferno brigade level 3), but I usually walk forward since that'll make me block my back first. If I see that I was wrong and it's charging from the front I usually have time to block normally instead. So... hold forward if you see it activating and switch your block if it is bearing down from the front? It's too fast to block from behind if you weren't dedicated to that first.
Is it invincible all the way through? I kept trying to do Painwheel's crawl hyper to beat it out, but I kept getting the input direction wrong (behind me vs. in front, etc.).

*Parasoul's motorcycle super isn't very good if you ask me, but it has the distinct advantage of protecting you from the left and the right sides so it'll come in useful against teleporters like Peacock. Don't expect it to save you from Double's Bionic car and don't use it unless you are going to hit or DHC into a safe super. Sniper shot and that motorcycle super are both horribly unsafe on block.
Are you sure the motorcycle hyper is unsafe on block? I felt like I actually had frame advantage. That means I don't really have a way to DHC Painwheel out...I thought it was just a nice, safe move. I know the sniper shot is unsafe, but you know me - I like to try and predict stuff. Sometimes I put it out there because I think you'll do something. You're a far safer player than most of the people I played this weekend, though. I was good at catching them. I usually only go for those punishes when the opponent is low on health or I want to DHC Painwheel back in, though (Sniper shot to crawler hyper combos from anywhere).

Now... to move onto the part I'm horrible at. Your Painwheel is really good for a day 2 Painwheel.
Thank you.

You just have to be conscious of one fact, though. Skullgirls is a game full of exaggerated characters. Each of these characters represents some of the best you'll see in their archetype. Parasoul has amazing normals so she won't take no guff from Painwheel's aerial dominance. You made excellent use of Painwheel's ground grabs, air grabs and Buer Reapers in the air, but you could definitely benefit from some more combo practice.
Duckator taught me a new bnb, and I keep messing it up. It was something like:
c.LK, c.MK, s.HP, fly, f.LK, c.MK, s.HP...and then something else. I still am not used to the input timing in this game, so I tend to mash the c.LK after f.LK and get the spinning wheel (which is a POS move that I hate - Painwheel might a well shout "swiss cheese" when she does it because it's such a troll).

Painwheel probably hits the second or third hardest in the entire game. You could literally wipe out seventy percent of my point character's health with a good starting combo and a reset.
I wish she could fire her daggers in the air for harassment.

Don't use Pinion dash. It is not very good. Disco will tell you more about that. Also, be mindful of the opponent you are fighting when you want to take to the air. Painwheel can't flight cancel safely like Morrigan so she is a sitting duck in the air against someone like Parasoul with her sniper shot super. Most other characters don't have an immediate answer to her flight so you are good there.
Well, what else can I do but fly? :p

Your Parasoul reminds me of Chris G's Parasoul. She seems ornamental like she is just there to make Painwheel work. She is no Captain Commando. She is like the valedictorian of charge characters, napalm corridors and Guilty Gear Roman cancels. The only characters safer than Parasoul are Filia, Ms.Fortune and Double with meter (this doesn't count Peacock paired with Double... run for your life if you see that team).
Why is Peacock + Double so bad? The butt slam move helps with keepaway? I thought Peacock's anti-air assist was really annoying. It made me consider picking her up, though, because Painwheel/Parasoul/Peacock (lots of Ps...) is basically Sentinel/CapCom/Blackheart in terms of team structure.

That brings up a few questions I have, though:
1) Why is Napalm Corridor so much better for Painwheel than other anti-air assists?
2) What do I do about that run behind + finger butt move Cerebella does?
3) Why did Peacock's AA assist sometimes charge up a bit before it landed, but not always? Can you hold the assist button like its point version?
4) Why is Painwheel the only character in the game without any good assists? :-( Why do the characters I like never have good assists? :-(

Make better use of her light punch in all instances. It is good in the air and on the ground.
Duckator kept telling me to use her j.LP, j.HP after jumping, but j.LP never hits for me - what am I doing wrong?

It'll beat out most anything if you use it correctly and hit confirming into combos afterwards is a joke. A key thing for the corner gameplay is to try and use crouching short+crouching medium kick since it causes an automatic restand even after throws. It's very useful with the right assists in the corner. When you are in the corner abuse the living hell out of her overheads as well. Parasoul has two excellent overheads in forward light punch and backwards heavy kick and Painwheel's multi hitting crouching medium punch complements this aspect of Parasoul's game very well(sorta like a mini cerecopter assist which you saw at work in a few of our matches).
Yeah, you hit me with the b.HK almost every time. She's very hard to block consistently. Which team of those you used is your main team? It felt like Parasoul is your main, since you were much better with her than any of the others.

Your combos off her grab were non existent. You gotta hit those combos. It is valuable damage, but you already know that. Also... did you ever DHC into Parasoul's Inferno Brigade level 3? I could have sworn that there were some instances where you could have called out Parasoul's inferno brigade, but you didn't. All level 2 supers and above cost one bar less as a DHC so go nuts with that if you want to kill a dangerous character.
There were a ton of instances where I could/should have DHCed into Inferno Brigade. Every time I DHCed into her bikes I winced because I remembered that level 3s only take 2 bars to DHC into (which is weird).

To combo off of Parasouls grabs, I should RC soldier, dash forward c.LK to OTG?

Now go bug Disco so you can make my life a living hell with Painwheel.
I don't know who this person is. ;-P

I forgot to ask. How was the online compared to Mahvel?
It felt the same as offline play except for a few matches toward the end. Things got a little jumpy and I got lost for a moment or two.

Beckx

Argh. I can't get timing down at all.

Cerebella's basic combo goes

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.mk, j.hp

What's throwing me is that c.mp needs to follow up instantly from c.lk, but c.hp seems to need a bit more delay, but then if I don't hit that j.lk almost instantly, they can block. And I think I've gotten the second c.lk to hit less than 33% of the time. It's the cadence that's killing me. Marvel has trained me to just go bop bop bop bop (with easy chars like Frank) but this seems like bopbop bopbopbopbopbop bopbop bop (if that makes sense).

I guess I'll get used to the timing eventually. Or just switch to zoning with Peacock. :p

Ken

Argh. I can't get timing down at all.

Cerebella's basic combo goes

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.mk, j.hk

What's throwing me is that c.mp needs to follow up instantly from c.lk, but c.hp seems to need a bit more delay, but then if I don't hit that j.lk almost instantly, they can block. And I think I've gotten the second c.lk to hit less than 33% of the time. It's the cadence that's killing me. Marvel has trained me to just go bop bop bop bop (with easy chars like Frank) but this seems like bopbop bopbopbopbopbop bopbop bop (if that makes sense).

I guess I'll get used to the timing eventually. Or just switch to zoning with Peacock. :p

I don't think there's a delay, at least, I've never consciously included one when doing it.

Yeah, only delay is in the jMP->jHK restand. Also, for the second part of the combo isn't it better to just do cLK->cMK? cHP launches them higher making the restand harder I think.

Beckx

I guess the problem is I'm trying to play it like Marvel 3. Never played much of Marvel 2.

I mean, I only know what a restand is because I'm assuming it's self-defining, it restands a falling opponent before they hit a grounded state so that you can continue the combo without using an OTG. Right?

Yup, that's it.

My BnB right now is

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk (restand), c.mp, c.hp, j.lp (mash)

the j.lp restands them, which then allows me to either reset into a 360, or do one last simple ground chain into super.

Top Bottom