• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

BooJoh

My Wham-Shell arrived today, and wow, he's a LOT bigger than I expected ingame.

I'm having an issue with the Dragon Treasure item from Pirate Seas in the Lair of Kaos. It seems to be spawning in one set location, which is behind the magic portal, right in the middle of the 3 big steps that move up and down. The problem is, the treasure box won't actually pop up so I can open it.

They just posted this on the Skylanders facebook page:

pQHt0l.jpg

I was wondering what a flocked Stump Smash looked like, now I know.

Double D

Any news on the stupidly hard to find Wave 5 figures, yet?

I would probably have the last 3 I need by now if I put forth a little more effort. I've literally done no hunting at retail. I look at gamestop.com pretty regularly, but that's about it. The ridiculous availability of everything else (short of Dragon's Peak) that I spent who knows how long hunting for kind of puts a dent in my motivation. I'm just hoping the same will happen to these figures in a week or so.

you can win him by buying chips, or calling 1-800-646-2904 less than 1/2 of the prizes are stumps, the rest are random figures.

Heh. Called the number and was a winner as well. Either we're having having good luck or everyone wins. It'll be fun to see what I get.

I missed it though where you can keep winning or if you win once, you can't win again. I heard that you can call once per day... just not what happens if you are considered a winner.

Edit: I looked up the number... seems like lots of people are winning right now. Skylanders Flocked Stump Smash Frito-Lay Promotion: Everyone Winning

BooJoh

That article lists two numbers:
To take a shot at Flocked Stump Smash, call 1-800-646-2904. To go after a random Skylander, call 1-866-599-3907. You can enter once per day on each up until Saturday, May 5.
What's the deal with that? The wording makes it sound like the first number is just for the Flocked Stump Smash and the second is for a random Skylander.

I called the first one and it said I won.

EDIT - My brother called from his house and won too. I wonder if they're just sitting on a bunch of prizes and trying to get rid of them before the promotion ends, or if something's bugged out or what.

Zing

Banned
So far, everyone has won. Theory is that there are just a certain number of figures available and everyone "wins" until they run out.

As for the "wave 5" figures, all stores are getting them on a regular basis now. Best Buy has had several shipments of the three-packs so far. EB games gets them several times a week. TRU has had at least two shipments.

Just tried and it said I won a "Skylander" -- is that the same as everyone else is getting? Or will it specifically say "Stump Smash" ?

BooJoh

GameStop.com has the Warnado/Camo/Ignitor pack listed now (wasn't there when I checked earlier today.) It says out of stock, but if you add it to your wishlist it says in stock. Just placed my order and it went through, so hopefully that means they're in stock and the main listing just isn't updated yet.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
GameStop.com has the Warnado/Camo/Ignitor pack listed now (wasn't there when I checked earlier today.) It says out of stock, but if you add it to your wishlist it says in stock. Just placed my order and it went through, so hopefully that means they're in stock and the main listing just isn't updated yet.

Looks good to me. Grabbing this and Pirate Sea's to wrap up my original collection! Thanks!

mclem

Amazon (UK) have done me proud.

I bought the original game in February this year, and thought I'd make a go of trying to get a complete collection - even though I'd heard lots of stories about how so much stuff is hard to find now.

I wandered down to Asda, and did okay; got two triple-packs there. Then I started browsing online for the earlier packs - and boggled at the prices people were charging for a £18 product.

I thought I'd be patient and see what happened if I just placed an order with Amazon UK for everything they had, even though it wasn't in stock - five triple packs, four adventure packs (one of each not being released at the time I made the order - at the start of March).

Fast forward to now, and the patience has paid off. In drips and drabs over the past two months I've been sent all five of the triple packs and two of the four adventure packs; Empire of Ice and Dragon Peak are all I'm waiting for. There's still a bit of a question over Wham Shell and the final (Camo, Warnado and Ignitor) triple pack, so I'll have to keep my eyes open for them on these shores, but if I can track them down - and Amazon manages to find me an Empire of Ice - I should have been able to get a full collection of the basic units without having spent the significant surcharges charged from some of the more mercenary sellers.

(As a quick aside: Can you get silvers or golds in a triple pack, or are they singles only?)

Edit: While I've only been going for the basic units, that Blue Bash *is* tempting. I've a soft spot for Bash, he's the one I got the "Beat the final boss with only one character" achievement on.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gamestop (online) has Dragon's Peak in stock (I managed to snap one up). Not sure if it's still available.
They also had the Camo, Ignitor and Warnado triple pack (as well as the Camo and Warnado singles) but they're sold out now. Speedy.

Does anyone know if it's possible to just get the portal and game for the 360? I have the Wii version, but it appears that the portal only works on the Wii/PS3/PC, but not on the 360.

Hale-XF11

Sweet, got an instant win after calling that first 800 #.

btw, when it first asks for your street address, just give the street number and street name. It will ask for city, state and zip in the following question. That way you're not repeating yourself like I did without realizing it.

BooJoh

As of a couple minutes ago GameStop.com shows Camo and Warnado singles as in stock.

Does anyone know if it's possible to just get the portal and game for the 360? I have the Wii version, but it appears that the portal only works on the Wii/PS3/PC, but not on the 360.

That's odd... probably because the 360 portal is wired. I've been using my 3DS portal with the usb cable (PC-mode) for my PS3 since my PS3's portal's batteries died. If you want just the portal and game you're probably going to have to buy it used.

That's odd... probably because the 360 portal is wired. I've been using my 3DS portal with the usb cable (PC-mode) for my PS3 since my PS3's portal's batteries died. If you want just the portal and game you're probably going to have to buy it used.

I believe it's simply because the 360 portal needs some kind of id chip to interface with the 360.

Apparently all the other versions are plug and play, with a few exceptions.

Sweet, got an instant win after calling that first 800 #.

btw, when it first asks for your street address, just give the street number and street name. It will ask for city, state and zip in the following question. That way you're not repeating yourself like I did without realizing it.

Haha... I did that too. :p

A heads up... I went to the grocery store tonight and figured what the hell when it came to one of those Skylanders marked Frito sets.

Offer expires 5/5/12.

So yeah, looks like tomorrow/today is your last day if you're interested. I hope that phone call thing didn't screw me over cause this one told me I was a non-winner. :\

SaberVulcan

Finally got my final three Skylanders. :D

540085_10101353331295094_6312708_43589591_640815575_n.jpg

533441_10101353331943794_6312708_43589593_915592948_n.jpg

Impressive sir. Every store here has nothing but stuff like Legendary Trigger and Hex.

Kind of stopped paying attention to this after initial release, but some of the newer releases are cool enough to make me look for them (like Warnado :3 )

BooJoh

Warnado is a lot of fun. One of my favorite characters already.

My set is complete for now. The only things I'm really concerned with between now and Giants are the sidekicks, Whisper Elf in particular, all if possible.

I have:
-PS3 game version
-3DS game version
-All 32 basic Skylanders
-All 4 Legendary Skylanders
-Dark Spyro
-All 4 Adventure Packs
-Blue Bash
-Doubles of Cynder, Ignitor, and Double Trouble

All of my figures are opened (including Blue Bash) with the exception of my extra Double Trouble, which is a single pack sent to me by Walmart as a consolation prize for my canceled Empire of Ice order.

I'd take a picture of my collection, but since my 3DS and DSi are the only readily available cameras I have atm it would just be a blurry mess.

My go-to characters for each element are:
Life - Stealth Elf
Air - Warnado/Sonic Boom
Tech - Drobot
Fire - Sunburn/Ignitor
Magic - Wrecking Ball
Undead - Hex
Water - Wham-Shell
Earth - Dino-Rang/Terrafin

TheGrue

Only need Wham Shell to complete my collection, but having no luck finding him (without paying a stupid amount on eBay or Amazon).

392382_441771282515976_224606124232494_1691469_410842863_n.jpg

Nice close up of the two special edition Cynders for you all (not mine unfortunately).

On a completely unrelated note. I'll be recording a podcast with Jeff Gerstmann (Giant Bomb), John Davison (Gamespot) and Andy Robertson (Wired) at 8pm GMT, talking to Mike Stout (Activision) and Alex Ness (Toys For Bob). If you have any questions for them, drop them in this thread and I'll try and squeeze them in if I find a suitable moment.

Zing

Banned
I sold my extra Wham Shell to a local for $20. I would have offered it here, but I didn't think anyone would want to spend the ~$7-9 for shipping from Canada. I personally refuse to spend more than $10 for a figure. I wouldn't even order online unless it would be free shipping.

I still need Camo and Warnado, but I am holding out for the three-pack. I do have a single unopened Ignitor, but I am going to return it if I find the three-pack.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I made lots of changes to the collection, including the order in which the pics come.

I wanted to put more emphasis on the actual collection itself. The variants are now the bottom set of pics.

About variants. I did add more variants to my collection. I now have the Nuremberg Toy Fair Hex, as well as the three glow-in-the-dark Skylanders. I am only missing the 3 crystal-clear ones.

Without further ado -

Left side of my Skylanders shrine -

P1010197.jpg

Right side of my Skylanders shrine -

P1010148.jpg

Main Skylanders display -

P1010154.jpg

Here is a close-up of the sealed single packs -

P1010155.jpg

P1010156.jpg

Here is a close-up of the sealed triple packs -

P1010179.jpg

Here is a close-up of the sealed adventure and legendary triple/single packs -

P1010057.jpg

Here is a close-up of some of the silvers, golds, glow-in-the-darks, Toy Fair 2012 Cynder & Hex, Blue Bash, and store exclusive Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant variants -

P1010199.jpg

Skylander game case display, which also houses the Skylanders Tower Case. The bottom shelf houses my strategy guide and free shirt from the Best Buy promotion -

P1010181.jpg

Here is a group shot of the character cards -

P1010159.jpg

Here are both sets of my personal Skylanders collection. One set is for the first upgrade path. The second set is for the second upgrade path -

P1010164.jpg

Here is a group shot of my kids' collections, as well as my own, together. Top-left is my daughters. Top-right is my sons. Bottom two sets are mine, and the 17 Skylanders at the very bottom, are my two year olds -

P1010189.jpg

Here is a pic of the extra sets of cards and stickers accumulated by buying multiple figures -

P1010163.jpg

Here are the Toy Fair 2012: New York: Cynder and Toy Fair 2012: Nuremberg: Hex -

P1010196.jpg

Here are the 3 silver Skylanders: Dino Rang, Boomer, and Eruptor -

P1300396.jpg

Here are the 3 gold Skylanders: Chop Chop, Flameslinger, and Drill Sergeant -

P2010423.jpg

Here are the 3 glow-in-the-dark Skylanders: Wrecking Ball, Warnado, and Zap -

P1010194.jpg

Here is a group shot of the 3 silvers, 3 golds, and 3 glow-in-the-dark Skylanders -

P1010205.jpg

Here are the three glow-in-the-dark Skylanders, glowing -

P1010208.jpg

Here are my "ONLY AT" exclusive Skylanders. These are actually different than the mass retail versions. Whirlwind has a solid white base, while Drill Sergeant has a deeper metallic red and glossy base -

P1010387.jpg

Here are the Volcanic Vaults I have accumulated from getting copies of the game or through various promotions -

P1230384.jpg

Strategy Guide -

IMGP0081.jpg

Here are three pics of ALL of the Skylanders toys and how they fit into three "Stanley Sortmaster Jr." cases. THIS is the best casing for Skylanders merchandise, as it can fit all 37 Skylanders, 8 magical items, and 4 expansion levels. Take note of how I place them, in order to place them in your Sortmaster Jr. cases, with little to no intrusion -

TOP CASE -

P1010162.jpg

MIDDLE CASE -

P1010160.jpg

BOTTOM CASE -

P1010161.jpg

Here is a shot of my Starter Packs -

P1230386.jpg

More to come, when I nab those crystal-clear Skylanders.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I'd go with both. However, if you can only choose 1 right now, I'd roll with the 360 version.

It seriously is the Gauntlet of this generation, made better, but only lacking in difficulty (I want to die more darnit). I can't wait for Giants. I bet Toys for Bob can't wait, either. :p

EDIT: I am editing my collection with this pic, but I will post it here.

Here is a pic of my three glows, doing their glow-thang (blatant slang) -

P1010208.jpg

GameMaster78

Neo Member
They do. And, the more you look at glow-in-the-dark Wrecking Ball, the more he's telling you he wants to eat your brains while you sleep. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

SaberVulcan

Did you find all of them yourself GameMaster or did you resort to eBay and such to get such an awesome collection?

Im just curious how shitty my luck is compared to you :p

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I surely hope it is.

Toys for Bob will have to understand, that this game does have an adult audience. At the same time, kids will be getting older.

If they want this to be an annual franchise, they need to keep setting the bar higher.

I have so many ideas, that could make Skylanders rock, people would take notice and buy it due to the sheer amount of content alone.

I would give the players a reward for collecting all Skylanders for that particular game. It wouldn't be something like an XP boost. Let's say Skylanders 3 came out, and it had a further 24 Skylanders to collect (3 per element). I would give the incentive of getting all figures, not only because they unlock new Heroics, but there could be a super secret chapter at the end of each game, for registering all of that game's Skylanders.

I would make the Hub full of secrets itself, ala Super Mario games. That would be another idea.

I would add something called Elemental Challenges to the Hub. Scattered throughout the hub, is 8 elemental gates. They could also be paired together in some "Hallway of Elements." Each gate takes the player to a level tailored to a specific element. These would be super hard - harder than Dark Souls. Okay, I'm just kidding. It would be tough, however.

These Elemental Challenges could only be completed by having all Skylanders of that element. So, let's say they did this in the first game. Let's say the Air Challenge needed Whirlwind, Lightning Rod, Warnado, and Sonic Boom to finish. The level would make you think about neat ways to utilize each Air Elemental Skylanders moves. However, they wouldn't need to be upgraded past the 4 basic moves.

One part of the level, could be switches in a circle. No Skylander in the Air Element has the ability to hit all switches at once. BZZT! WRONG! One would need to use Lightning Rod's Zapper Field to hit all switches at once.

Whirlwind could need to have 3 clouds shot into some holes, all within the span of a few seconds, before the clouds disipate, to open a door. Those are just some ideas.

Another thing I would build up to, is a seamless (or semi-seamless) world. The game would still feature levels to go through, but they would be gotten to via traveling. Certain parts of the world would be empty until you bought an adventure pack. Buying those fills out an area with a new level, some challenges from nearby NPC's. Perhaps one of the challenges in the game, could be based on magical items.

I have so many ideas that would make Skylanders rock awesome.

It is still a mighty fine game, that invokes the feeling of Gauntlet, only more fun. However, there does need to be increased difficulty game after game. The games need to be longer, as well.

Bottom line, Giants needs to be tougher, because we have characters that are already level 10. I hope our Skylanders can go up higher in level, as well as learn some new moves.

Top Bottom