• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Sober

Anyone know what's going on here? Are these side missions meant to be out in the sea?
Yep, get a boat and get over there.

sorry, im still very confused....

green missions = main story, right?

yellow ASSIST = side?

what about blue police ones? are they main or side?
Yes, although at certain points you have to clear the police cases (blue) before you can advance the story. A shame you can't replay them though.

Ranger X

Just played the demo and daaaaaamn. How to NOT make a demo.
I didn't have the chance to feel what the cars or what the city is like and this is at least 50% of what the game is. Bravo.

And what the fuck is up with 6 fps cut-scenes? Does the 360 version run a bit better? Don't really feel like plunging 60$ for such low quality standards.

I could have sworn one of the DLC packs that was listed on Steam was something like drunken master martial arts pack. That gives me hope they'll be giving us some new moves at least.

What I'd like to see in a sequel is style switching, straight up. Not just new moves, but multiple fighting styles you can't switch through on the fly with different schools/clubs for each one, and one big underground fight club where you'll find all types of fighters.

I think my dream sequel would involve Wei Shen and Hong Kong returning, with another protagonist (maybe go back to the original idea and have a female) and another Asian city. I feel like the Yakuza series has Japan well covered so maybe mainland China or somewhere more Southern Asian like Manilla or Bangkok. When the game told you to go to sleep that'd be when they switch. Then by the end the two storylines would converge.

kaskade

There's a demo out now? Nice, should hold me off until this weekend. I did kind of want to see how it would run on my machine as well. I'm assuming it won't have the hi res textures though so it should look a bit better.

What I'd like to see in a sequel is style switching, straight up. Not just new moves, but multiple fighting styles you can't switch through on the fly with different schools/clubs for each one, and one big underground fight club where you'll find all types of fighters.

funny enough, i recall in true crime NY you could learn different martial art styles at different dojos across the city.

Forkball

The ending is somewhat ironic because
Wei gets mad that he is being pulled after Tong dies, because he wants to get rid of the Sun On Yee and not "shuffle the deck." However, by the end of the game that's all he's done. The Sun On Yee still exists, but with a new chairman. Jiang did have that line about wanting to completely revamp the business, but still Wei didn't actually accomplish his ultimate goal.

Wei gets mad that he is being pulled after Tong dies, because he wants to get rid of the Sun On Yee and not "shuffle the deck." However, by the end of the game that's all he's done. The Sun On Yee still exists, but with a new chairman. Jiang did have that line about wanting to completely revamp the business, but still Wei didn't actually accomplish his ultimate goal.

well... there is only so much you can do to an organization by murdering 1000s of thugs for 20 hrs :p

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I don't think his ultimate goal was to get rid of the Sun On Yee entirely, because that would be impossible. Instead he knows that Big smile lee would be a bigger problem than Uncle Po and at least Jiang represents change in the organisation.

Also Uncle Po dying wasn't really part of his plans either.

Jiang was the lesser of the many evils, but you're right. All he did really was reshuffle the deck. Just turned out the hand dealt was better than it could have been otherwise.

He at least reformed the gang and, if Jiang sticks to her word, got them out of the business that killed his sister and ruined the lives of other innocent girls.
Getting rid of the gang completely would probably just lead to a rival triad taking their place.

EekTheKat

Got my plat a couple days ago, and by far the hardest part for me was
watching two virtual chickens peck and scratch each other to death for an hour to get The Gambler.

As much as I despise that "mini game", it's still by far faster than
mahjong poker, simply because of the higher payout per win in Cockfighting

anyway, tip for those short on Triad xp
wear the 15% triad xt bonus clothing, then redo missions with an emphasis on scoring.

By that I mean mix up your combat moves and play for the score instead of the easy kill. Instead of shooting a guy in the head in the shooting sections (30 points), run up to them, disarm, then turn it into a fist fight ( which usually nets you a whole lot more points).

Environmental finishers seemed to be a flat 20. So instead of dropping an engine on top of a guy using a variety of moves would get you around 60-80 per kill instead of a flat 20.

instead of shooting out tires in a car immediately, shoot the car a bit, the passengers, then the tires for more points.

the actual triangles on the mission replay page doesn't mean a whole lot really, your score seems to matter more. On some missions I had 2.75 out of 3 stars, replayed it with an emphasis on getting xp, and got a huge chunk of triad xp out of it.

I did it with no DLC, just revisited the missions trying to squeeze as many points as possible.

Neiteio

I'm about 16 hours and 18 missions in... This game is AMAZING. Definitely up there with Kid Icarus Uprising and Resident Evil Revelations as my favorite games of the year so far. (Otherwise I've been mainly preoccupied with games from years past: Saints Row: The Third, Demon's Souls, Just Cause 2, Alan Wake, etc.)

Anyone else always wash their hands, pee, wash their hands again, grab a drink and then go to sleep whenever they're at the apartment? And what's your favorite food to eat? The roast duck looks tastiest, I say. "Duck so fresh other ducks don't know it's gone yet!"

Also, Mrs. Chu is a terrifying woman. Holy shit at the things she does.

bitoriginal

Okay, so I've got 27/28 events and I've spent ages checking all the random event locations but nothing seems to trigger. Do I have to spend a prolongued period of time in an event location for the marker to appear?

I'm also, fairly sure I've done all the random events. Done all the drug busts too. Could it possibly be something else that I've forgotten?

rvy

Banned
I was hyped, but the demo didn't really sell me on the game, to be honest. Movement looks and feels really clunky. Almost in every area too, fighting, shooting and exploration.

Oh, and please, no more Junior member PMs telling me how I'm wrong and how Arkham City is a shitty game. Seriously.

jimi_dini

Okay, so I've got 27/28 events and I've spent ages checking all the random event locations but nothing seems to trigger. Do I have to spend a prolongued period of time in an event location for the marker to appear?

I'm also, fairly sure I've done all the random events. Done all the drug busts too. Could it possibly be something else that I've forgotten?

no, they don't trigger too late. They trigger immediately, if you are near them. I think at least the trunk rescues happen in some order though.

just check the yellow, orange and red locations on this map: Orange are trunk rescues, yellow are shoplifts, red are hit and runs.
2vVbS.jpg

(from ps3trophies.com)

there are 4 shoplifts, 3 hit and runs and 4 trunk rescues. Everything else are drug busts.

Maybe you hacked a camera, but didn't defeat the enemies at a drug bust spot. Check drug bust 6, those are heavily armed and I forgot about those (came at a time, where they weren't there and hacked the camera). And the other one that I was missing was trunk rescue 3.

KePoW

Banned
I was hyped, but the demo didn't really sell me on the game, to be honest. Movement looks and feels really clunky. Almost in every area too, fighting, shooting and exploration.

Oh, and please, no more Junior member PMs telling me how I'm wrong and how Arkham City is a shitty game. Seriously.

I have no idea what the demo is like, but I do know the full game kicks ass. Just like what plenty of other GAFers in this thread have said since it came out.

I don't think demos are good for a game like this.

EekTheKat

IIRC, some
shoplifts
happen only during the day.

AcridMeat

Banned
Finished the story
Why Jackie :(
Still a fantastic game, one of my favorites.

I am now one of the many stuck at level 9 of Triad while trying to complete everything. A fair amount of missions towards the end were nowhere near 3 tria(d)ngles, but I did a lot of counters, weapon attacks, environmental kills so I'm not sure what the hell else I could have done.

Oh and can someone help me with getting to the location for this drug bust? It's killing me.
tn1bv.jpg

I've looked under the freeway, both tunnels were blocked off, and the building you can turn off to's gate is closed and there's no way to get through.

wingz

Finished the story
Why Jackie :(
Still a fantastic game, one of my favorites.

I am now one of the many stuck at level 9 of Triad while trying to complete everything. A fair amount of missions towards the end were nowhere near 3 tria(d)ngles, but I did a lot of counters, weapon attacks, environmental kills so I'm not sure what the hell else I could have done.

Oh and can someone help me with getting to the location for this drug bust? It's killing me.

I've looked under the freeway, both tunnels were blocked off, and the building you can turn off to's gate is closed and there's no way to get through.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the locations where you have to take boat to get to the tunnel. It's says "Water Access" as the name.

EDIT: Beaten

The twist is: there is a third tunnel :p

damn it. was gonna say that. i remember doing the same thing. swimming manually over there.

speaking of which, anyone ever get the 'parking' of boats to work properly? Wei always seems to flop in the water no matter how close i park to the docks.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Lol@people not using the camera to scope the shores. I think I did that as soon as I found my first boat and *might've* found more than one tunnel. I can neither confirm nor deny since it might blow my cover. Shit, here comes the Sun on Yee.

Not sure how far you are through the story (since I saw someone mention cameras) but there is one last camera tied to a story mission later on.

As for the little yellow Face icons for the side missions, I've never had to be near one for it to appear on the map. I've pressed select and seen them appear on the other side of the island (EG: Look at that dudes image a few posts back asking what those locations were out at sea). It seems like it is either the time to give you a side mission, or it is not.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
There should a DLC where you can access the full sewer lines of Hong Kong; fight in a cesspool of defecation.

Finished it up. The ending felt a bit rushed (the cutscenes, not the missions). I agree with the people who said it'd be nice
if they had more scenes with Wei and the Sun On Yee, especially the Water Street Gang, considering Shen had been their Red Pole.

Timbuktu

I think my dream sequel would involve Wei Shen and Hong Kong returning, with another protagonist (maybe go back to the original idea and have a female) and another Asian city. I feel like the Yakuza series has Japan well covered so maybe mainland China or somewhere more Southern Asian like Manilla or Bangkok. When the game told you to go to sleep that'd be when they switch. Then by the end the two storylines would converge.

Just open up to Kowloon, NT and then mainland Shenzhen, with Macau on the side. HK triad movies often feature all those places as well as those south Asian cities when they need ta hide out, it wouldn't be a problem in terms of narrative. I think they'd struggle a bit to make all of them dstimctive enough for western gamers and still be credible though.

T.O.P

Banned
Just went through
Wedding Day

I was expecting shit to go down but holy crap :(

This game keep on being amazing me as time goes btw <3

Just played the demo and daaaaaamn. How to NOT make a demo.
I didn't have the chance to feel what the cars or what the city is like and this is at least 50% of what the game is. Bravo.

And what the fuck is up with 6 fps cut-scenes? Does the 360 version run a bit better? Don't really feel like plunging 60$ for such low quality standards.

360 version visually is a lot better looking than the PS3 version, but the framerate in cutscenes on both is really really stupidly low.

Lingitiz

After rewatching the Watch Dogs video from E3, I have to say that Sleeping Dogs PC at night looks every bit as impressive as what we saw there. Its crazy what UFG pulled off despite the troubled development history.

Top Bottom