• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm bummed out that I'm done with this game. It's been the only game this year that I've stayed up late playing, and from the looks of the rest of the year, outside of Most Wanted, it's probably the last one.

Ranger X

Can someone give me impressions on the car driving feel?

The demo didn't let me drive a car and honestly, this comes right after "main character feel" in my "to check before buying" list of a game like that. I would like to know if it's weighty cars like GTA4 (wich I like very much) or is it more like GTA San Andreas?

For more pointers, I didn't like the Saint's Row series car feel so far. Always prefered GTAs.

The developers may just have another purchase. Just played the PC demo and it's good. The graphics are very nice and surprisingly the gameplay is solid. The fighting feels fun and the shooting is "okay", I'm guessing once you get the unlocks it'll be more engaging, I 'd like to take guys out with 1-2 shots, the enemies in the short shooting section seemed a little bullet-spongey. This is definitely once of those games where the videos I watched weren't engaging but actually playing it makes the difference.

Are there choices you have to make in the game or situations where you can disarm/detain rather than kill?

Mystic654

Having Problems Finding the Final two lockboxes in North Point. I'm Just not seeing them. anyone find all 40 in North Point yet?

Are their any lockboxes Related to the Story?

*Note* The One at the Gambler's Den, and the Two on the Shore I have not opened yet. I'm aware of those Three.

2012822213429tssnapshot.jpg

Sober

Are there choices you have to make in the game or situations where you can disarm/detain rather than kill?
Not really in any sense like it's a branching RPG or like in AP where they track kills/knockouts/orphans made based on how you KO an enemy.

But the story does a pretty good job of psyching you up to kill people even if you are hesitant against it, at least for me I found.

clear31

I'm bummed out that I'm done with this game. It's been the only game this year that I've stayed up late playing, and from the looks of the rest of the year, outside of Most Wanted, it's probably the last one.

yeah, i'm completely done with it and wish there was more. I did all the collectibles, etc and now all I can do is wait for DLC

Not really in any sense like it's a branching RPG or like in AP where they track kills/knockouts/orphans made based on how you KO an enemy.

But the story does a pretty good job of psyching you up to kill people even if you are hesitant against it, at least for me I found.

Thanks, game bought, if GMG will take my money.

lexi

Banned

The demo didn't let me drive a car and honestly, this comes right after "main character feel" in my "to check before buying" list of a game like that. I would like to know if it's weighty cars like GTA4 (wich I like very much) or is it more like GTA San Andreas?

For more pointers, I didn't like the Saint's Row series car feel so far. Always prefered GTAs.

It's very arcadey. I personally like it.

jett

D-Member
I load up the PS3 demo and the first I think I notice is you shoot with R2. What the fuck, man? This developer has even made PS3-exclusive games.

Amagon

It's very arcadey. I personally like it.
Probably the only negative I have with this game is the driving. Especially when using a bike. I prefer the driving mechanics from GTA but I can see why people like the arcadey style that is present in Sleeping Dogs.

Apples and oranges.

leng jai

The driving is passable but to be honest I don't really like it. The turning is just weird and the car's feel like they have zero suspension.

Jimrpg

GTAIV was so long ago that ive forgotten - but i would say that was quite weighty.

This is more like burnout and even ridge racer where you can throw the car around corners etc. Also its like burnout cause there's a melee car button where you ram other cars and goes into a slow mo.

I LOVE the handling in this game but there's a few others on here that like the weightiness of GTA

Loved the
Hospital
mission. Very "Hard Boiled."

One of my favourite missions too... quite a few memorable missions in this game!!! most of them were the shooting ones for me despite the lack of challenge.

jb1234

I just tried the PS3 demo and had a blast. Was a little sad that it ended so soon. :( Can't afford to buy another game this month so I might have to Redbox this sucker.

I hated the driving at first, but grew to love it. Especially once you learn how to properly time the handbrake turns in a really fast vehicle. It's got nothing on GTA4's driving, but it's really fun nonetheless in an arcadey way. Add in the car takedowns and the car-to-car hijacking and it's really really great.

bryehn

So, I'm cleaning up everything and it occurs to me I have no idea what "jobs" are. I've done 28/30, but no idea what I should be looking for.

kaskade

I really did enjoy the demo. The game looks way better than I felt the screens showed (besides the PC ones from this thread). I didn't even have the texture pack installed so I imagine it'll look even better.

Even though the demo was linear I feel like this game could have some of the best mechanics in an open world game. I'm definitely going to get it this weekend.

lexi

Banned
Cheaters Never Prosper side quest spoiler:

This is the 3rd time you help this guy and Wei goes 'Again? Are you sure you didn't just lose?' and I lost it.
KuGsj.gif

Just started playing this game tonight.

How do i restore my health? Like is there some sort of health pack?

I'm on half a bar of health now because after several battles i've been slowly losing health and i'm not sure how to regain it. I've yet to die but i'm scared i will soon and have been saving often because there aren't many autosaves.

Chairhome

Just started playing this game tonight.

How do i restore my health? Like is there some sort of health pack?

I'm on half a bar of health now because after several battles i've been slowly losing health and i'm not sure how to regain it. I've yet to die but i'm scared i will soon and have been saving often because there aren't many autosaves.

Either find a food vendor on the street that sells food or do well enough in a fight to get your face meter to max. When its maxed out and flashing, you'll regain health.

I posted this in the PC SS thread, but have to cross post it here cause of how awesome it was. Just randomly fooling around + slowmo motorcycle dismounts = good times.

The car missed me by like an inch. PS: I did not expect it to explode and careen at my face.

LiK

it's super arcadey. very quick and responsive if you pick up the sports cars and bikes. i liked it.

I LOVE the handling in this game but there's a few others on here that like the weightiness of GTA

I like both! GTA's attempt for more realism made sense in the world they were trying to create. In Sleeping Dogs, the arcadey-hold x-no braking approach just works with the way they designed Hong Kong.

LiK

I like both! GTA's attempt for more realism made sense in the world they were trying to create. In Sleeping Dogs, the arcadey-hold x-no braking approach just works with the way they designed Hong Kong.

yup, it made the driving missions fun. can't imagine some of the sidemissions with GTA driving, they would be super frustrating.

The Chef

I am ALL about romance in games. Mass Effect has some serious hotness. But I just cant get into it in this game because Amanda looks like a freakin cave troll. The hell is up with that face? Its like they spent 20 minutes modeling it and called it good. And I am going to spend side missions with that? No thanks horse face.

Either find a food vendor on the street that sells food or do well enough in a fight to get your face meter to max. When its maxed out and flashing, you'll regain health.

Thanks! Does the food automatically restore my health or do i have to find it in my items somewhere and then use it?

LiK

I am ALL about romance in games. Mass Effect has some serious hotness. But I just cant get into it in this game because Amanda looks like a freakin cave troll. The hell is up with that face? Its like they spent 20 minutes modeling it and called it good. And I am going to spend side missions with that? No thanks horse face.

don't worry, it's not super involved. worth it to unlock one of the collectible locations on the map.

RiverBed

Banned
I am selling my US copy, if anyone is interested. Ship anywhere, best offer, free shipping.
I posted this in the sell thread, but I think a game's official thread is also good.

leng jai

I would have liked some weight to the cars but it doesn't necessarily have to be like GTA. NFS Most Wanted handling would have been perfect.

Is there an ability to tighten the aiming reticule for handguns?

The circle feels really strange to me. The smgs/assault rifles are a lot easier to use just because they have a cross

Jimrpg

I hated the driving at first, but grew to love it. Especially once you learn how to properly time the handbrake turns in a really fast vehicle. It's got nothing on GTA4's driving, but it's really fun nonetheless in an arcadey way. Add in the car takedowns and the car-to-car hijacking and it's really really great.

Yep its important to get the handbrake right so that you can get out of the corner really quickly, otherwise you slow down too much. Using just the brake is far too slow.

Something funny occurred last night - I was in North Point and fighting some dudes on top of an overpass then grabbed him and we both fell about 3 stories down onto the road. We continued to fight on the road stopping traffic. I beat him up of course. Then the ambulance came and two guys got out and said... "yep dead on arrival".... was pretty funny. they didn't pick up the body though which would have been extra cool. That stopped all the traffic for a good while.

finished 28/30 missions... will finish the story tonight... its been a great ride... pity I accidentally spoiled the story for myself when I clicked on one of EatChildren's spoiler covered posts, but oh well. its been great all the same.

yup, it made the driving missions fun. can't imagine some of the sidemissions with GTA driving, they would be super frustrating.

There were only a handful of cars in GTA4 that handled like a dying walrus - most were pretty quick and easy to use. In SD, the cars basically handle the same (except for the ultra sports ones, which are twitchy) - which makes things pretty vanilla, but makes races easier to jump into.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So how's the story? Serious stuff or light-hearted like Saints Row?

Can you customize your dude in a significant way? Character customization is one of the highest selling points in an open world game for me.

Also, there is romance in this game....?

antitrop

Can you customize your dude in a significant way? Character customization is one of the highest selling points in an open world game for me.
Serious and dark, but a little goofy sometimes. Not nearly as goofy as GTA and the completely opposite of Saint's Row.

LiK

Also, there is romance in this game....?

serious but there are some pretty funny main and side missions.

customization is restricted to clothing and accessories.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Serious and dark, but a little goofy sometimes. Not nearly as goofy as GTA and the completely opposite of Saint's Row.

serious but there are some pretty funny main and side missions.

customization is restricted to clothing and accessories.

Hmm... sorry if I am asking too much here, but what about the side content? Fun? For those of you who have finished/bored/done with it, what's your game clock stands at? As for the customization... hmmm I suppose it's okay so long as the game ensure that my customizations shows up in cutscenes and such. Not too robust eh... well that's a bit disappointing but not really a gamebreaker.

I just recently finished Saints Row 3rd and having a blast with it. Interested in this game since atmospherically speaking this one seems so in contrast with Saints Row 3rd.

LiK

Hmm... sorry if I am asking too much here, but what about the side content? Fun? For those of you who have finished/bored/done with it, what's your game clock stands at? As for the customization... hmmm I suppose it's okay so long as the game ensure that my customizations shows up in cutscenes and such. Not too robust eh... well that's a bit disappointing but not really a gamebreaker.

I just recently finished Saints Row 3rd and having a blast with it. Interested in this game since atmospherically speaking this one seems so in contrast with Saints Row 3rd.

side missions are basically races, chases, beating up dudes etc. some different stuff here and there but mainly those. i didn't do all of them and it took me 20+ hours to beat the game.

Lingitiz

I rushed through it and did only a few side missions, but finished under 20 hours. I'd say about 20-30 if you did everything. The core mechanics are so fun in comparison to other open world games, so I can see it as a game I'll replay every now and again.

Top Bottom