• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

iNvid02

just finished it, enjoyed it more than max payne and mass effect, so goty so far.

the driving, freerunning, shooting and combat all remain fun throughout the whole game, the story genuinely interested me right until the end, and the voice acting was excellent all round. not to mention it looks and runs superb on PC.

well done UFG

trinest

Someone keeps changing the radio station on my bike when I leave it for a second!

18K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really annoyed that half the channels I don't like the majority of the music on it so every time I switch it I just get ads :/

Frillen

Central Martial Arts took me a few tries, but fun regardless. Those fat fighters are a pain though.

North Point and Aberdeen Martial Arts were pretty easy. How's Kennedy's compared to Central's?

Spirit3

Just finished this gem earlier. What a ride for the last couple of hours, really good stuff. May not reinvent the wheel or change anything dramatically but its just darn fun and what else could we ask for in a video game. Driving reminds me of how much fun burnout paradise was and how eager I am for most wanted.

Gta has a fun contender, especially considering how personally disappointing gta iv was.

Ken

After ending spoilers:
Seems weird that Wei gets out of the Sun On Yee so easily at the end, despite everything about the Brotherhood and traitors. Must be awkward for Wei to see Conroy and his other triad buddies. Would have liked a little something at the end about his final interactions with the Sun On Yee than Jiang deciding that he was "loyal enough."

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Seems weird that Wei gets out of the Sun On Yee so easily at the end, despite everything about the Brotherhood and traitors. Must be awkward for Wei to see Conroy and his other triad buddies. Would have liked a little something at the end about his final interactions with the Sun On Yee than Jiang deciding that he was "loyal enough."

You should probably write before the spoiler what the spoiler is about or people dont know whether they should highlight it or not.

Like "Post game/Ending spoiler:" before or something.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Well he singlehandedly propped Jiang up to be chairwoman.

Would like to see more interactions with his personal gang though. With Conroy I think?

Ken

You should probably write before the spoiler what the spoiler is about or people dont know whether they should highlight it or not.

Like "Post game/Ending spoiler:" before or something.

Oh yeah good idea.

^
Even still I wonder how people like Conroy would feel after finding out that this person they trusted for however many days/weeks turned out to be something else completely and was lying to them the entire time. I mean, Conroy seems "closer" to Wei than Jiang did, if you understand what I'm trying to get at.

Also, been awhile since I really liked the characters in a video game. Sleeping Dogs had many.

jimi_dini

I've died quite a few times in melee combat, especially when there are dudes with knives and i don't pay attention.

I don't know if that's a locked move, which needs unlocking - probably so. But simply run towards them and press X or O (fucked up asian PS3 controls, that's why I'm not sure, for me it was O), so that you get them to the ground. Most of the time, they will get disarmed that way. That's also a nice way to disarm enemies that got guns.

And if you time it right and press Aim at the right moment, you will GET the enemy's gun and ENTER slow-mo.

I really love those controls. Totally badass.

Ken

I don't know if that's a locked move, which needs unlocking - probably so. But simply run towards them and press X or O (fucked up asian PS3 controls, that's why I'm not sure, for me it was O), so that you get them to the ground. Most of the time, they will get disarmed that way. That's also a nice way to disarm enemies that got guns.

And if you time it right and press Aim at the right moment, you will GET the enemy's gun and ENTER slow-mo.

I really love those controls. Totally badass.

That's a locked move.

There's also a Face level perk that lets you disarm with counters or grabs while in Face mode.

Antiwhippy

Oh yeah good idea.

^
Even still I wonder how people like Conroy would feel after finding out that this person they trusted for however many days/weeks turned out to be something else completely and was lying to them the entire time. I mean, Conroy seems "closer" to Wei than Jiang did, if you understand what I'm trying to get at.

Also, been awhile since I really liked the characters in a video game. Sleeping Dogs had many.

Honestly, while I like the overall story alot of it comes off as half-baked.

But yeah, I do like the characters too.

I've decided to finish the story before I clean up the rest of the stuff, can someone tell me, without spoilers, how the game handles the post-game? Do I just get dumped back in the world?

Zaptruder

Banned
Oh yeah good idea.

^

I don't think anyone in the triad wants to fuck with Wei after what he's proven himself to be capable of.

I mean Conroy? Guy's a mid level punk!

legbone

Central Martial Arts took me a few tries, but fun regardless. Those fat fighters are a pain though.

North Point and Aberdeen Martial Arts were pretty easy. How's Kennedy's compared to Central's?

if i remember right, kennedy was easier for me than central. i actually did it before central and before some crucial upgrades.

Chairhome

I thought someone in this thread mentioned that you could use an actual microphone for Karaoke. Imagine my disappointment when I tried yesterday :-/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, this game is really quite remarkable thus far. I've had a really difficult time getting into just about any sandbox game for the past few years. Mafia II was, perhaps, one of the only ones that held my interest and Sleeping Dogs is right up there.

They've created a highly immersive world with engaging characters backed by mechanically sound gameplay that is genuinely fun.

The use of Hong Kong definitely gives the game a unique flavor that we haven't seen much of in this style of game. I suppose it's not unlike Mafia's Lost Heaven in that it delivers a world that isn't commonly experienced in games. This really does feel like a Western take on Ryu ga Gotoku or Shenmue in some ways.

I'm genuinely shocked that this title was cancelled by Activision. I'm not entirely sure how much additional work was put into the game after it was initially dropped but what they have is absolutely fantastic. Certainly miles beyond anything else with the True Crime name attached. In a way, I'm glad the game was pulled from the grasp of Activision and given the chance to live as a new IP.

leng jai

OK, this game is really quite remarkable thus far. I've had a really difficult time getting into just about any sandbox game for the past few years. Mafia II was, perhaps, one of the only ones that held my interest and Sleeping Dogs is right up there.

They've created a highly immersive world with engaging characters backed by mechanically sound gameplay that is genuinely fun.

The use of Hong Kong definitely gives the game a unique flavor that we haven't seen much of in this style of game. I suppose it's not unlike Mafia's Lost Heaven in that it delivers a world that isn't commonly experienced in games. This really does feel like a Western take on Ryu ga Gotoku or Shenmue in some ways.

I'm genuinely shocked that this title was cancelled by Activision. I'm not entirely sure how much additional work was put into the game after it was initially dropped but what they have is absolutely fantastic. Certainly miles beyond anything else with the True Crime name attached. In a way, I'm glad the game was pulled from the grasp of Activision and given the chance to live as a new IP.

I generally can't get into sandbox games but occasionally one just really pulls me in. RDR, Skyrim and Sleeping Dogs pretty much.

I wouldn't class Mafia II as a sandbox game at all though.

Antiwhippy

To be fair Mafia 2 was a pretty decent linear mob shooter but happened to be in a city you could drive around in and do nothing else between missions.

(Am I confusing godfather 2 and mafia 2 bah!)

Didn't godfather 2 have some weird management sim in it?

Kritz

Banned
To be fair Mafia 2 was a pretty decent linear mob shooter but happened to be in a city you could drive around in and do nothing else between missions.

And was a fantastic game because of it!

It's unlikely I would have finished Sleeping Dogs, or even enjoyed it as much, if it was filled with as much shitty filler as your usual open world game. It still had side activities to do, but most of it was integrated into the world, such as drug busts and finding bullshit and the gaining face sidemissions.

I do feel like Sleeping Dogs would have benefited from some slow motion dodge attacks, like in True Crime. I mean, it's not like I was never not in slowmotion during the gunfights anyway, due to exploiting the vaulting + headshot chaining mechanics, but I think just being able to straight up enter slow motion arbitrarily would have been so much more fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
After ending spoilers:

Yeah, this is the only part of the story I felt didn't make that much sense.
Yes his main enemies are technically eliminated, and he's on Jiang's good side, he's still a fucking cop who deceived the Sun On Yee. Even under the protection of Jiang, there would be a good few thugs more than happy to hunt him down for revenge. Staying in Hong Kong as a cop seems like suicide, and though I can understand him feeling it's the first place in a long time he's felt at 'home', I cant imagine him lasting long.

Astery

I've 100% completed it, and what a game. It feels like GTA and Yakuza's good parts combined into 1 imo. Being a Honkie myself adds a lot of funny moments with the NPC dialogues. (some bad accents, script readings, some actually funny and local)

I would like to clarify tho, the game is not accurately modelling the 4 suburbs in Hong Kong at all if you assume it is. There's some atmosphere and some look alike landmarks that appear in random places, but that's about it.

I hope there will be a sequel. Do the right thing for once please Square Enix?

LiK

Yeah, this is the only part of the story I felt didn't make that much sense.
Yes his main enemies are technically eliminated, and he's on Jiang's good side, he's still a fucking cop who deceived the Sun On Yee. Even under the protection of Jiang, there would be a good few thugs more than happy to hunt him down for revenge. Staying in Hong Kong as a cop seems like suicide, and though I can understand him feeling it's the first place in a long time he's felt at 'home', I cant imagine him lasting long.

sequel!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Score too low.

I am not so far in the game but far enough that I can tell that is objectively and rationally speaking a 9/10 or 10/10 game.

I clearly stated towards the end that I had to dock a point or two because it wasn't made by Rockstar. Gosh.

I bloody well hope so.

I clearly stated towards the end that I had to dock a point or two because it wasn't made by Rockstar. Gosh.
This is the kind of honesty missing from so many professional reviewers, quite frankly I find it refreshing.

Guys I'm so bummed out, finished the game with only like halfway to go to being a level 10 Triad and no real good way to get there. I need some mission DLC, pronto.

Arcteryx

This is the kind of honesty missing from so many professional reviewers, quite frankly I find it refreshing.

Guys I'm so bummed out, finished the game with only like halfway to go to being a level 10 Triad and no real good way to get there. I need some mission DLC, pronto.

Buy the Shaolin Showdown(Gamestop preorder bonus) dlc if they make it available. It isn't exactly fun, but it rewards Triad xp like crazy.

Dennis

Banned
listen to the women outside your apartments, they say some interesting stuff

the contrast between the excellent voice acting for the major characters vs the funny broken english of other npc's is a great touch

All they seem to talk about is sex though. How they like it when their boyfriend gets forceful with them.

Thats just embarrassing so I just run past as fast as I can.

I squeezed out a quick review.

You marked it down because it ends?! You're the worst reviewer on the planet. I big you good day, sir. I said good day!

But seriously, the only score you give that I disagree with is for Narrative. I thought that was one of the game's high points along with all the new open-world mechanics they introduced.

Top Bottom