• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

man... would love for actual boss battles in a sequel. Give them some uncounterable 'super moves' and high mobility or something.

These guys are clearly a fan of hong kong cinema. Outside of
the ending
all the boss fights... aren't even boss fights, you take them down in like 2 counters and punching.

see5harp

I've 100% completed it, and what a game. It feels like GTA and Yakuza's good parts combined into 1 imo. Being a Honkie myself adds a lot of funny moments with the NPC dialogues. (some bad accents, script readings, some actually funny and local)

I would like to clarify tho, the game is not accurately modelling the 4 suburbs in Hong Kong at all if you assume it is. There's some atmosphere and some look alike landmarks that appear in random places, but that's about it.

I hope there will be a sequel. Do the right thing for once please Square Enix?

It's an approximation. I think it would have been really cool if they just focused on a few cool areas with high detail. There's the small Lan Kwai Fong area with the clubs and bars but it's seemed so small in the game. Victoria Peak there was no gondola and like a single street.

To people who have 100%...how the fuck do you get from level 9 to 10 for Triad? Do I really have to replay a ton of missions and just make sure I do every move? The exp I'm getting, even with the special outfit, with replays is painfully small.

Just finished the ps3 demo ..
Very nice game indeed ..i hate the slide over cover mecanic and some textures are very weak...

but damn if this doesn't seem fun ...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There has to be some kind of system to cockfighting I'm missing. If it really is a 50/50 gamble, it's by far the dumbest, gruelling, boring shit in the game, and signifies why I feel people who enjoy this kind of crap either have more money than sense or a legitimate mental retardation.

Because I'm Hitler.

It was a joke, it's not in the review.

But seriously, the only score you give that I disagree with is for Narrative. I thought that was one of the game's high points along with all the new open-world mechanics they introduced.

I did like the narrative, but I thought it got a bit too busy towards the end. I felt it needed a good couple of hours more of story to really flesh out motivations and involvement from some of the crew.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
To people who have 100%...how the fuck do you get from level 9 to 10 for Triad? Do I really have to replay a ton of missions and just make sure I do every move? The exp I'm getting, even with the special outfit, with replays is painfully small.

Are you wearing the Mountain Gear that gives you 15% Triad bonus? I know you said you're wearing am outfit but there are three I think, one for 5%, one for 10% and the one I mentioned.

Sanjay

So I just started playing this game, I'm getting this weird problem where the game stutters when the FPS is fine. Is there a certain setting that will get rid of this problem? thanks.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I am not so far in the game but far enough that I can tell that is objectively and rationally speaking a 9/10 or 10/10 game.

If GTA4 can get 10s for a game with janky and unpleasant controls, then Sleeping Dogs deserves 10s too.

I know it's only been a week but I am hanging out for some dlc mission pack announcement.

Couldn't resist any longer, picked it up on PS3 from Best Buy. Plus I'm happy to give SE my money for bringing this out.

I suppose it would be a futile effort to try trading this GSP pack DLC for the Police Protection pack? =P

Couldn't resist any longer, picked it up on PS3 from Best Buy. Plus I'm happy to give SE my money for bringing this out.

I suppose it would be a futile effort to try trading this GSP pack DLC for the Police Protection pack? =P
The Police Protection pack sucks. It's one mission where another dude drives a police car and you're riding shotgun in a SWAT outfit, shooting other cars/bikes. Nothing carries over into the open world.

see5harp

Are you wearing the Mountain Gear that gives you 15% Triad bonus? I know you said you're wearing am outfit but there are three I think, one for 5%, one for 10% and the one I mentioned.

Yea I'm wearing the puffy vest one. I guess it's just going to be a grind then.

LiK

The Police Protection pack sucks. It's one mission where another dude drives a police car and you're riding shotgun in a SWAT outfit, shooting other cars/bikes. Nothing carries over into the open world.

so basically similar to the mission where you're shooting bikers on a highway for score. very lame.

LiK

Yeah it's bad. Supposedly the devs are talking about patching in the police car and SWAT outfit so you can run around with them in the open world but who knows if/when that'll happen.

seems like an easy patch to allow that option. hope it's available for everyone.

Article explaining why the PC port is so good (spoiler: strong publisher support).

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...unlikely-champion-of-modern-pc-games-is...-sq

Between this and DXHR, they're building a reputation.

I don't know about that. They're touting multi-monitor support yet I have to use arrow keys, backspace, and enter to navigate the menus (Something Borderlands got skewered for if I recall).

They deserve credit for graphics options and high res textures but why am I stuck with FXAA and a narrow FOV?

It's a decent port but nothing more.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't know about that. They're touting multi-monitor support yet I have to use arrow keys, backspace, and enter to navigate the menus (Something Borderlands got skewered for if I recall).

They deserve credit for graphics options and high res textures but why am I stuck with FXAA and a narrow FOV?

It's a decent port but nothing more.
Narrow FOV? I think increasing the FOV much more than that would almost result in a negative effect. Besides, they constantly shift the FOV depending on what's happening so you can't just increase it across the board as it's not using a single setting.

They clearly put a lot of effort into making a great PC version.

Derrick01

Banned
so much more fun after getting all the moves.

I didn't feel like there was a ton so I hope they can give us more through DLC, or some expansion thing if they go that route.

Also want a lot more environment kills, maybe some more music options on each channel and more side quest stuff. They'd probably have to make some decent sized expansion to get all of that in though.

LiK

I didn't feel like there was a ton so I hope they can give us more through DLC, or some expansion thing if they go that route.

Also want a lot more environment kills, maybe some more music options on each channel and more side quest stuff. They'd probably have to make some decent sized expansion to get all of that in though.

yes,i hope we get a nice big expansion with new moves,,music and a new section of HK.

About 6 hours in this may very well be my GoTY. And I can already say I'm having more fun than I did with SR3. The city feels so alive, the combat is smooth and keeps you on your toes, voice acting is great, and Wei is a very like able guy. Brav-fucking-o UF.

I'm only loosely following this thread because of spoilers but this would be awesome. Let me learn all kinds of martial arts and shit. Drunken fist + ragged clothes Jackie Chan wore at the end of Drunken Master 2 *swoons*

Derrick01

Banned
I'm only loosely following this thread because of spoilers but this would be awesome. Let me learn all kinds of martial arts and shit. Drunken fist + ragged clothes Jackie Chan wore at the end of Drunken Master 2 *swoons*

I could have sworn one of the DLC packs that was listed on Steam was something like drunken master martial arts pack. That gives me hope they'll be giving us some new moves at least.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh damn I got my car stuck on both sides and Wei kicked the front windshield out and climbed out from the front. I don't know why that impressed me so much, I guess because in most games like this when both sides of the car are stuck your guy just usually teleports out of the car.

jimi_dini

Oh damn I got my car stuck on both sides and Wei kicked the front windshield out and climbed out from the front. I don't know why that impressed me so much, I guess because in most games like this when both sides of the car are stuck your guy just usually teleports out of the car.

I wonder what he would do, if another car would be on top of his own car :p Although I guess pretty hard to do without multiplayer.

Yes, I liked that too.

EDIT: Damnit, I just tried to play the Limited Edition mission. It said "rewards bla bla mission". Now I look at my map and the mission is nowhere to be found. Where is it?
EDIT: Ah, it's in north point. And it's a yellow shield mission, which doesn't show up in your mission circle. It's only shown on the large map or when you are near it.

Just completed it 100%, took about 28 hours according to the in-game clock. Great game, hope it does well enough in sales to get them to make a sequel.

derFeef

Love details like this. Little chance for it to happen, but made an extra animation for it, and a badass one.

haikira

Anyone know what's going on here? Are these side missions meant to be out in the sea?

2012-08-22_00010yblzk.jpg

2012-08-22_00011xfxrp.jpg

vaelic

Banned
sorry, im still very confused....

green missions = main story, right?

yellow ASSIST = side?

what about blue police ones? are they main or side?

AcridMeat

Banned
sorry, im still very confused....

green missions = main story, right?

yellow ASSIST = side?

what about blue police ones? are they main or side?
Think of them as Side - as polished missions as the main line. Like in GTA where you'd have multiple people you could work for.

Top Bottom