• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

AEREC

I'm enjoying the story, characters, and combat in this game but can't help but feel the actual city is pretty bland (reminds me of Mafia 2). Every street pretty much looks the same to me. I'm about 10 hours and just met
Uncle Po

Finished it! Really enjoyed it the whole way through and I hope they're making a sequel.

Also, I decided to hop out of a boat as it slammed into the beach, and, well...

imGdpjTEh6jhq.png

Blurred out some spoilers.

Neiteio

I haven't reached the end yet, but does something happen at some point in the game that adds a new element to the HUD? That dragon symbol looks annoying...

Jimrpg

I finally finished the game after 25 hours. (Don't worry no spoilers in this post) I should preface this by saying I grew up in Hong Kong until I was 7 and I grew up watching Jackie Chan, Chow Yun Fat movies. I love beat them ups, love the Yakuza series, Uncharted and GTAIII was pretty cool. Sleeping Dogs is one of the best games I've ever played... everything about it was just so damn fun and perfect. Its a little on the easy side but I still died plenty of times during the hand to hand combat which is easily the most 'interesting' gameplay part of the game. That doesn't mean the other parts are weak but the gun play parts are a bit overpowered compared to other games - its almost impossible to die.

I love everything about the game, the characters, the narrative (what a perfect narrative to set in Hong Kong), the pacing of the game, the length of the game, the mechanics, the graphics, the world, the soundtrack, the quirks.

I was a bit worried at first when Hong Kong was NOT a 1:1 recreation, but UFG's version is just ALOT of fun to play in. I'd like to see them retweak the map a bit and have more straight roads rather than have roads that go round and round. Also I'd like them to differentiate each of the roads a bit more maybe with different signs and things, most of the roads feel a bit samey and its a bit hard to navigate. More Mcdonalds signs please. Would love to see more shopping centres, arcades to go through, subways, scenes set in office buildings. I loved how alot of missions would take you to somewhere you hadn't seen if you hadn't explored the map by yourself. It felt like entire levels were unlocked.

I've said plenty about the hand to hand combat in this thread already, the shooting is a bit easy but its damn fun, the driving really impressed me (its not racer quality) but there was a lot of driving in the game and I always enjoyed getting on the bike or in the car. The handbrake completely makes the driving fun. I haven't played that many open world games lately so driving is pretty fresh for me.

It was also awesome to see so many homages to movies, asian pop culture. I grew up with a lot of the movies like Police Story, A Better Tomorrow, The Killer, Hard Boiled, Rush Hour even the later stuff from Johnnie To is pretty good like Election and Throw Down and the Ringo Lam stuff used to kick ass Prison on Fire etc. And there's plenty of cool costumes form movies and things and clothes to buy which are all part of the game Day 1, NOT DLC. My god I even saw an Eastern Promises homage... Freaking Amazing.

I'm so surprised by the quality of this title from UFG. The PC port is just about perfect - it crashed on me twice in 25 hours and everything worked great and no hiccups on my Macbook Retina. I'm going to play this on the big screen for my next play through. And the first ten hours or so looking at this game was godly - im pretty sure they kept that quiet so that people wouldn't cancel their console pre-orders. Fair enough I suppose.

If I were to review games - the qualities I would look for are, what design choices did the developers make in order to make the game. Did they compromise in areas? Did they make the best possible game they could make? Sometimes its not about having the biggest budget or the most original idea. For me its about the effort and how well the developers treat the gamer.

Thats why Sleeping Dogs is a gem. Just about every part of the game has been designed with real thought and love. The devs were super passionate to make the best game they could make. You can see this everywhere in every corner of the game. All the alleyways, overpasses, shortcuts, little store stands has been gone through with a fine tooth comb. All the details in this game just breathe life into the city, things like roast duck shop with duck hanging outside, pork bun carts, hong kong citizens with crazy things to say, ambulance drivers that come up to check on the dead, lots and lots of touches to keep it real. Things like hiring George St Pierre from UFC fame to do the mo cap for the hand to hand combat was inspired. When people say it doesn't do anything original its not true - the shooting has never been better, the hand to hand combat likewise and the driving is great, this is uncharted territory for an open world game. I'd like to see more interaction with people on the street (a bit like Yakuza where you can talk to random NPCs). I'd love to see an arcade with games to play. More mini games would be great. Reviews that say this is a GTA clone are simply ignoring one of the best titles going around.

I also feel the devs are in touch with what the gaming community wants and omits ego and personal touches to keep it as streamlined as possible. The narrative is short sharp and to the point. Wei Shen is an undercover cop, and its personal and the player is immediately invested in what happens to him because one slip up will be the end of him. But he's such a badass that he can destory 10 guys at once and he can date random girls. In short he's a freaking hero. He's also so badass when he leans out of the car window to shoot, he breaks the window with his head. Nice touch.

Here's what needs to happen with the sequel

Sleeping Dogs 2
- Kowloon side (Mong Kok, Tsim Tsa Shui, Jordan and Yau Ma Tei) plus linking it back to a new Hong Kong Island side with Causeway Bay North Point Wan Chai and Central
- New martial arts styles, branching so you can develop your guy and have more replayability
- More interaction with the city itself and the people (so many open world games are forget this)
- Faster combat closer to Jackie Chan style which will make the counters even more crazy
- More mini games
- More girls to date
- More police cases
- 3 Laps for the races and better AI
- Missions or side mission where its more like old school beat them ups like maybe beat everyone up in an office building or shopping mall.
- I'm not going to ask for a cantonese track cause the english version was pretty sweet. The voice actors were amazing - ALL of them... to balance and 'get' how to do such a good cantonese english track first time round.

If they can get that out within two years - it will be magnificent and I'll be day 1 again.

Looking forward to the modders in the mean time and DLC! And if you haven't guessed I would give this game a 10 (out of 10)

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Hello GAF, it's been a while.

Supposedly the devs are talking about patching in the police car and SWAT outfit so you can run around with them in the open world but who knows if/when that'll happen.

This is true.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

RiverBed

Banned
Grinding doesn't really work.
You should replay the missions that you don't have all 3 triad symbols on and get those. Then you will get plenty of XP.

I reached level 10 both police and gangster, then the meter doesn't fill anymore no matter how much more points I get (or is that the moral meter?).
What should I be doing?

I reached level 10 both police and gangster, then the meter doesn't fill anymore no matter how much more points I get (or is that the moral meter?).
What should I be doing?

level 10 is the max level :)

anyways, I only have 8 more trophies to get before getting the platinum trophy. question, what's a good way to get stealth kills?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just played the demo on PS3 and it was great but is there any way to not has L2/R2 as primaries while shooting in the full game? Really annoying that in 2012 there are still devs that do that.

luokyl

I finally finished the game after 25 hours. (Don't worry no spoilers in this post) I should preface this by saying I grew up in Hong Kong until I was 7 and I grew up watching Jackie Chan, Chow Yun Fat movies.

Does some of the Cantonese sound off to you? I'm a Cantonese speaker, and it might just be the mixing of English and Cantonese that's messing with my brain, but some of the Cantonese voice acting sounds a little off to the point where I have to strain to think about what they said before I understand it.

EDIT: Might add, I only played the PSN demo, will be purchasing the full game soon.

LiK

Does some of the Cantonese sound off to you? I'm a Cantonese speaker, and it might just be the mixing of English and Cantonese that's messing with my brain, but some of the Cantonese voice acting sounds a little off to the point where I have to strain to think about what they said before I understand it.

EDIT: Might add, I only played the PSN demo, will be purchasing the full game soon.

Cantonese sounds perfectly fine to me. Maybe a few guys are probably are off because they're going by a English script. But none of it was bad like Cantonese in Hollywood movies and TV ads.

BigDes

The only thing I want (other than mod tools) is someway to give the car valet more lines because

"A Car? Duck Laaaaa I'll be right there" kind of grates now

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It probably helps that a good portion of the cast are Chinese American, and can actually, you know, speak Cantonese. Rather than the usual choice of getting a bunch of whities to voice everyone.

Toki767

The only thing I want (other than mod tools) is someway to give the car valet more lines because

"A Car? Duck Laaaaa I'll be right there" kind of grates now

I feel bad when I use him and then bash his head on my motorcycle and toss him off because I press the button too quickly.

It probably helps that a good portion of the cast are Chinese American, and can actually, you know, speak Cantonese. Rather than the usual choice of getting a bunch of whities to voice everyone.

Still surprised they got Edison Chen to voice a major character in the game. Also I believe Wei's voice actor is actually Korean American.

That's racist.
and also true

Still surprised they got Edison Chen to voice a major character in the game.

I was more surprised to see Emma in it, and in such a non-essential role. I wonder what led to that appearance.

LiK

best dude is Old Salty. he was flipping between Canto and English very smoothly unlike everyone else. they didn't even let you know when he was saying Canto in the subs. I wouldn't be surprised if he was adlibbing the English script. I really wish he was in the game more. he was the most natural sounding to me.

Lesath

Yes. I lot of the actors in the game are from Vancouver, and people like Winston, Dogeyes, and Ratface have a noticeable (North) American accent. From the main cast, I think only Jackie, Mrs. Chu, Broken Nose Jiang, Salty Crab, and Uncle Po speak flawless Cantonese. Most street NPCs speak it just fine, except for that one girl whose pronunciation is so incredibly terribad.

Can't remember what radio station it was on, I checked when it was playing but it didn't show the name of the song.

Kind of jazzy, female vocals.. anyone know it?

(Not much to go on, I know!)

Why doesnt the valet let me choose the car I want? Or at the very least bring the best car in my garage? I've tried to kill him for it, but the game wont allow me.

Toki767

Can't remember what radio station it was on, I checked when it was playing but it didn't show the name of the song.

Was it the song that Lucy Liu's character had? Not sure if Lucy actually sang the song, but her character Vivienne Lu was a singer. I'm guessing you were talking about this?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like the valet because I can have instant access to the fastest sports cars and bikes from almost anywhere on the map.

Was it the song that Lucy Liu's character had? Not sure if Lucy actually sang the song, but her character Vivienne Lu was a singer. I'm guessing you were talking about this?

No, wasn't that one. Though that is an awesome song. Haven't heard that on the radio yet. =P

This one was slower, a little more mellow. Nice beat tho.

EatChildren

I just met with
Uncle Lo
Is there quite a bit more to the game or have I crossed the half way point?

Still have ~60% of the game to finish at least.

Toki767

the Yellow Fever title still makes me laugh. Great track. Very catchy song.

Ha yeah. I didn't know if I should have been insulted by the title or not, but the song was catchy so I didn't care too much. It did make me raise my eyebrow though.

see5harp

I was about 2 hours from getting 100% but driving at top speed for 15 more minutes and the terrible gambling mini game (that would have probably taken 2 or 3 hours) wasn't worth the time or effort. On to Darksiders II finally!

see5harp

It was probably Cinematic Orchestra. They were really cool in the late 90's, early 2000's back when Ninja Tune was actually a big indie label. They had a song featuring Roots Manuva that was mind blowing at the time.

EDIT: It could have been Daptone or Ninja Tune I suppose.

ezekial45

Banned
I do find it funny that after you complete the game
you're basically just playing as a dirty cop for the remainder of the missions and side objectives that have to be completed.

Top Bottom