• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Dennis

Banned
Game is kinda hard.

Stole some fake watches with Jackie Ma and had to redo the mission several times due to getting my ass kicked by thugs. Stop mobbing me assholes!

What are people playing this on? I want to get it so bad, but right now I'm waiting to get my new laptop and play it on that. I see myself caving and just playing on PS3, though.

I'm still new to this and struggling to regenerate health.

I've bought food because it was suggested before but it seems only the first food i bought regenerated health and it only regenerated like 3 bars and all the others do nothing. I also randomly found a health shrine but i don't know if that did anything or not because i don't see my health bar right now. So maybe my health bar only shows up on low health?

How can i get my health back up easily?

Your health bar is the red bar in the lower left. Usually when you take damage it'll only refill to half health. To get it to refill all the way you need to eat food. That's what the 3 bar circle is showing on the right of the sceen. It's a timer indicator as the effect of food will eventually wear off.

Health shrines boost your overall health by 10% for every five you found. You can check you progress by going to the upgrade menu and going to the furthest category on the right.

Your health bar is the red bar in the lower left. Usually when you take damage it'll only refill to half health. To get it to refill all the way you need to eat food. That's what the 3 bar circle is showing on the right of the sceen. It's a timer indicator as the effect of food will eventually wear off.

Health shrines boost your overall health by 10% for every five you found. You can check you progress by going to the upgrade menu and going to the furthest category on the right.

Ohhhh thanks! I always thought my health was the thing on the middle right side of the screen and it makes sense that you said it's 3 bars because i've never seen it higher than that. Thats why when i eat 2 foods back to back, i said the second food does nothing because it was still 3 bars. So i'm actually not close to dying. It's just my food is close to wearing off. And once i went to the health shrine, my food wore off and thats why the thing disappeared. I'll pay attention to the red meter from now on haha. I feel like such a noob now.

I am loving this game. I seriously cannot fathom how GTA IV has a score of something like 98 and Sleeping Dogs only has a measly 82 in comparison; it makes no sense to me. It's a fun game, but manages to keep the tone somewhat level-headed without straying too far into the absurd or the gritty. The sheer amount of variety in activities available, the joy of exploring an exotic locale like Hong Kong in a sandbox game, the Yakuza-lite combat with does just enough to keep it from becoming repetitive... to think this was canceled at one stage. My mind boggles.

Also, I'm addicted to the Softly radio station. Some really lovely instrumental tunes on that one.

Mindlog

Yeah, when I was doing the stun and beatdown mission and the shaolin dojo, the players wouldn't get stunned, then I restarted the mission and they'd stun themselves.
I kept doing the moves too fast and it wouldn't register. The 'Leg Break' was particularly hard to get tracked properly.

Sober

It probably helps that a good portion of the cast are Chinese American, and can actually, you know, speak Cantonese. Rather than the usual choice of getting a bunch of whities to voice everyone.
I think someone else pointed it out, but the VO for Wei is Korean-American but he doesn't sound Korean in his accent, or maybe it's just enough that he sounds vaguely Chinese-American (or what you'd associate with them typically sounding).

My current quandry:

What the hell is a girl like
Peggy doing marrying a dude like Winston? Strange times.
If you haven't warmed up to Winston by now or next mission then I dunno what's wrong with you. Sure he started out as a giant roided thug but there's more to him than that.

I am loving this game. I seriously cannot fathom how GTA IV has a score of something like 98 and Sleeping Dogs only has a measly 82 in comparison; it makes no sense to me. It's a fun game, but manages to keep the tone somewhat level-headed without straying too far into the absurd or the gritty. The sheer amount of variety in activities available, the joy of exploring an exotic locale like Hong Kong in a sandbox game, the Yakuza-lite combat with does just enough to keep it from becoming repetitive... to think this was canceled at one stage. My mind boggles.

Also, I'm addicted to the Softly radio station. Some really lovely instrumental tunes on that one.

It didnt get above a 90 because it was pretty much a sleeper title with relatively no hype.

also, didn't have a Rockstar logo.

If it had a Rockstar logo, would be instant 90+ no doubt.

Darklord

Banned
Somehow I have one of those classic martial arts outfits unlocked. He looks so badass now. I love the setting of this game. This is a GOTY contender for me.

Crap. I've done everything there is to do but the Completionst medal is still at 98.63%. I checked the trophy list and there's a trophy that says 'complete 100% of all missions, cases, favors, events, jobs and races', but when I go to the ingame stats I've done everything. Anybody know what gives?

Neiteio

Regarding Winston: It's not a spoiler to say the game has you warm up to him, and it works because the game is so good at depicting the kind of kinship that occurs in a gang. But I just can't regard him fondly when I read the police report on what he did to the -other- undercover cop. Fucking horrifying on every level. Still... I guess that's the point. These are terrible people, evil in many ways, but they still have love for their own. It's humanizing.

If you haven't warmed up to Winston by now or next mission then I dunno what's wrong with you. Sure he started out as a giant roided thug but there's more to him than that.

He's still a roided out thug.

You get that one conversation about
taking care of his family if anything happens to him,
but that's it. I can't warm up to him after one conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I like him, but it just seems an odd match. But as mentioned before, it seems standard.

Toki767

Crap. I've done everything there is to do but the Completionst medal is still at 98.63%. I checked the trophy list and there's a trophy that says 'complete 100% of all missions, cases, favors, events, jobs and races', but when I go to the ingame stats I've done everything. Anybody know what gives?

Did all the random events? Also some races don't unlock if you don't have the right vehicle for that class. And collecting all of the cars for Tran is another one.

Play it on a gaming PC if at all possible. Best version by a mile.

Alright I think I'll wait then. I'll be getting either a Sager NP9130 with a gtx 670m or a lenovo y580 with a 660m, so I think I'll be able to play it on mid to high settings. It'll be my first gaming PC, so I'm excited!

Darklord

Banned
Regarding Winston: It's not a spoiler to say the game has you warm up to him, and it works because the game is so good at depicting the kind of kinship that occurs in a gang. But I just can't regard him fondly when I read the police report on what he did to the -other- undercover cop. Fucking horrifying on every level. Still... I guess that's the point. These are terrible people, evil in many ways, but they still have love for their own. It's humanizing.

The whole point of them is they care deeply for each other and hate nothing more than a traitor. They actually do have some morals like mentioning things they refuse to do but the 18k will like selling drugs to schoolgirls.

Quick question about how much of the story is left...

I just
finished the funeral mission and the last police case, how much many more story missions are left?

And does anyone know of a way to increase your face level? I've maxed out my cop level and nearly maxed the triad level, but I'm still level 7 in face. Seems to be the hardest to increase/upgrade.

Marleyman

Banned

I just
finished the funeral mission and the last police case, how much many more story missions are left?

And does anyone know of a way to increase your face level? I've maxed out my cop level and nearly maxed the triad level, but I'm still level 7 in face. Seems to be the hardest to increase/upgrade.

Buy the face upgrade before doing any missions/side missions is the only way I know how to maximize it.

Neiteio

He's still a roided out thug.

You get that one conversation about
taking care of his family if anything happens to him,
but that's it. I can't warm up to him after one conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I like him, but it just seems an odd match. But as mentioned before, it seems standard.
You get more than that one conversation. You get an entire mission with
his bride-to-be, who tells you how Winston's a good guy at heart
, and then at the
wedding itself, there are some genuinely warm exchanges before all goes to hell
. I think they did a remarkable job at adding this new wrinkle to his character while keeping the brisk pace. But like I said, Winston -also- horrifically tortured and killed Wei's predecessor, so... Yeah. Guy's still kind of a jerk!

bryehn

Did you do the fight clubs?

LiK

I just

you have a few more main missions to go

for Face, do the yellow sidequests

Well for one thing reviewers probably had more than one day to play this game. It was really quite brilliant of Rockstar to do that especially considering how strong that game starts.

Portugeezer

Loving this game so far, playing on PC with M/KB is not so good, my friend has my 360 controller I will soon get it back and enjoy this game in all it's glory!

Did all the random events? Also some races don't unlock if you don't have the right vehicle for that class. And collecting all of the cars for Tran is another one.

According to the ingame stats I have.

Events Completed 28/28
Favors Completed 36/36
Jobs Completed 30/30
Missions Completed 30/30
Cases Completed 4/4
Races Completed 18/18
Story Progress 100%

Winning races gives you a ton of face experience.

Just heard something funny while walking through the hospital on a mission. Nurse talking to a doctor asking him why all of a sudden so many pedestrians are being hit by cars. I can't help but think that's a reference to me.

Buy the face upgrade before doing any missions/side missions is the only way I know how to maximize it.

Face upgrade? Had no idea there was one, where can I buy it?

you have a few more main missions to go

for Face, do the yellow sidequests

Nice, felt like it was drawing to a close so it's good to know there are still a few more missions left.

Yeah, I'm doing the sideq-uests and the various stranger missions but it's still taking an absolute age to upgrade compared to the others.

Dyno

Game is kinda hard.

Stole some fake watches with Jackie Ma and had to redo the mission several times due to getting my ass kicked by thugs. Stop mobbing me assholes!

1. Counter then punch (like others have said.) Just like Batman video games.

2. You get a knife or a cleaver, you throw that shit! Thugs just hate that.

3. DIM MAK ATTACK! Collect your jade statues. Rabbit statue is pure win.

Missed opportunity that the
monks
'enemy type' isn't used anywhere else. Having 1 baddy that can counter your attacks would really help freshen up melee combat some.

Seriously, if you finish 1 martial arts club, you pretty much seen all the melee combat the game offers.

I personally didn't find any of sifu's moves to be much used in my normal rotation. Grabs doesn't work on everyone and other stuff... idk. Some of them you can't counter attacks mid animation i think. I do love the flying kick extention, and the knee stun extention. Both look so brutal when you finish someone off with it in face mode.

The final move is pretty underwhelming imo. Most counter finishers look way more brutal :/

I paid a visit to a massage parlour early on in the game and don't recall getting any Face upgrade. I do remember the lady being amazingly slutty though.

Top Bottom