• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I thought the Vivviene song was terrible, and I was hoping it was intentional so Wei would say 'your music is just terrible'

Toki767

I thought the Vivviene song was terrible, and I was hoping it was intentional so Wei would say 'your music is just terrible'

I think it was more of a reference to the Triad's control over the music industry in Hong Kong and how they could back pretty much anyone no matter how bad the singing or song was.

KePoW

Banned
I think it was more of a reference to the Triad's control over the music industry in Hong Kong and how they could back pretty much anyone no matter how bad the singing or song was.

Lol yeah, the Vivienne song is definitely terrible, and I also thought it was that way on purpose.

It's funny that some people actually think it's good...there's no accounting for taste in music I guess =P

Decided to buy the Limited Edition 360 version after reading the impressions in the thread. Reviews made it sound so-so.

How many different versions are there? Collectors Ed? Special Ed? Limted?

LiK

I used car valet all the time lol. Mainly because the cars you find parked on the curbside were the same and I love riding around in sexeeee cars :p

i like variety and the when i jack the NPCs, they say really funny stuff in Cantonese. :p

Decided to buy the Limited Edition 360 version after reading the impressions in the thread. Reviews made it sound so-so.

How many different versions are there? Collectors Ed? Special Ed? Limted?

there's a HK LE and it has every preorder/CE DLC released in other regions. they got the best one.

Neiteio

Go to a parking garage. You can set valet vehicle.
Yeah, just saw that as I worked my way backwards through this thread, lol. Thanks. :) I'll be sure to set my valet car to the Blast (I think that's the flashy yellow sports car I bought for $400,000; I like the black-and-white variant).

Also, I just very belatedly realized "Yellow Fever" is a reference to skin color, basically an Asian "Jungle Fever," if you would. But isn't yellow fever actually a real fever?

RiptideX

just finished the main story in 14 hours and 30 min.

GREAT game. Best open world game I have played since RDR.

I can't believe how low this was on my radar pretty much up until release

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ha yeah. I didn't know if I should have been insulted by the title or not, but the song was catchy so I didn't care too much. It did make me raise my eyebrow though.

Title isn't so offensive, its a catchy song.

The car valet is awesome. why jack a car when you have someone to bring the fastest awesome car you own to you?

Neiteio

I want a new DLC campaign featuring:

+ Multiple new triad missions, cop cases, favors and events you can trigger
+ A fifth district to explore in Hong Kong, with a new apartment
+ The addition of aircrafts and collectibles hidden on previously inaccessible rooftops
+ A full-fledged multiplayer mode where you and 15 others can explore all of Hong Kong
+ Co-op missions within the open world where you and other players can storm hideouts
+ More underground racing, as well as multiplayer compatibility with racing
+ All-new fighting styles, with all-new moves available within each discipline
+ A variety of new makeshift weapons, firearms and environmental finishers
+ Abundant new clothing, accessories and apartment appliances to buy
+ A variety of new vehicles to attain and food vendors to try
+ Several distinctive new enemy types, and a new martial arts club
+ New arcade location with a variety of arcade minigames to play
+ New radio tunes and tracks on the karaoke machine
+ Lots of new NPC banter and incidental detail
+ Fully explorable subway system

Hmm, what am I missing?

Toki767

+ The addition of aircrafts and collectibles hidden on previously inaccessible rooftops
+ A full-fledged multiplayer mode where you and 15 others can explore all of Hong Kong
+ Co-op missions within the open world where you and other players can storm hideouts

Hmm, what am I missing?

They could just add all this into a sequel and I'd probably buy it day 1.

Neiteio

They could just add all this into a sequel and I'd probably buy it day 1.
I agree, but at the same time I'm really attached to the city they've created here and would like to see it added to in DLC, which I imagine would also be quicker to make. Model a fifth district, make it accessible by bridge or boat; integrate the subway there and connect it to various points in the other district; and have many of the new missions start and/or end in the new district, though some missions may have you making jaunts over to the other ends of Hong Kong as well.

It's interesting watching the trade-in value at Amazon change daily. Most games' trade-in value drops over the first week or two, but SD is going up. Started off at 19, then low 20s, then sat at between 29-31.50 for a few days, and now it's 35.

Toki767

It's interesting watching the trade-in value at Amazon change daily. Most games' trade-in value drops over the first week or two, but SD is going up. Started off at 19, then low 20s, then sat at between 29-31.50 for a few days, and now it's 35.

Aren't some places reporting low stock of the game? I can see why the trade-in value would increase.

Aren't some places reporting low stock of the game? I can see why the trade-in value would increase.

Low stock combined with high demand will cause it to rise, yes. It's just good to see that word-of-mouth is working in this game's favor.

To add to this question: Can I do multiple drug busts en route to the appointment and then conduct surveillance on one after the other?

Yes.

Grimsen

Wei Shen needs to come back for a sequel. Him and the series are definitely bankable.

Just finished buying all clothes at stores, and going to continue the story missions... I figure I'm about halfway done. I wanted to stretch the goodness between story missions so much that I've done a lot more side stuff than I planned. This game took me completely by surprise.

Early last week all I wanted was G1 Prime and Transformers FOC, but I just skipped the game altogether.

The people that hold this game on the same level as RDR are right. They're both love letters to their respective cinematographic genre.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Probably getting this tomorrow after playing the demo. Quick question: in the full game can you make the shooting primaries L1/R1 instead of L2/R2?

Neiteio

The people that hold this game on the same level as RDR are right. They're both love letters to their respective cinematographic genre.
I love how you put that. RDR was a love letter to Westerns, and SD is a love letter to Hong Kong cinema.

Also, great to hear I can go around breaking up thugs and then head back to the apartment and just conduct surveillance on each spot one after another. Previously I'd break one group up, and then go straight to the apartment to spy, skipping other blue shields on the mini-map along the way.

KePoW

Banned

Jeez, that's all you want?

So I'm at a mission called Buried Alive.
I meet with Raymond, get a phone call about Jackie being taken and then....nothing. No place to go, no trail to follow, nothing.
Bugged or what?

It seems like the drug busts could have been a lot cooler if you really had to watch and figure it out, instead of them just dropping an icon above the guy's head after about six seconds. That's why I was asking if there's any reward to picking out the right guy before the icon just blatantly tells you. Seems like a real missed opportunity.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Yeah, when I was doing the stun and beatdown mission and the shaolin dojo, the players wouldn't get stunned, then I restarted the mission and they'd stun themselves.

One of the qualities I like about Wei Shen is that he's a smooth talker, whether it be talking his way through an obstacle, or really instructing the enemy on what they can do.

Reminds me of Samuel L. Jackson.

Neiteio

Man, I did a drug bust in Kennedy Town (I think) where I had to eliminate 20 thugs and nearly all of them were armed with knives. AND IT WAS FUN! I got into a rhythm and became a psychopathic stabbing machine.

I think I was able to grapple one of the few unarmed guys and do the awesome finisher where you drag him out to the streets and repeatedly slam his head in a car door. In Aberdeen's fight club, I used the grapple/wall slam combo to dispatch goon after goon. So fun!

Lol yeah, the Vivienne song is definitely terrible, and I also thought it was that way on purpose.

It's funny that some people actually think it's good...there's no accounting for taste in music I guess =P

I like it, it's a piece of fluff, but it's so fun to listen to.

Vivienne is based on some well known female artists from Hong Kong. The triads do have a strong hold over the entertainment business there.

Also, I just very belatedly realized "Yellow Fever" is a reference to skin color, basically an Asian "Jungle Fever," if you would. But isn't yellow fever actually a real fever?

Also used as a derogatory term towards foreigners who has preference for asian girls.

Like me.

Toki767

I like it, it's a piece of fluff, but it's so fun to listen to.

Vivienne is based on some well known female artists from Hong Kong. The triads do have a strong hold over the entertainment business there.

I would've loved it if they licensed more HK songs. Sammi or Kelly songs would've been great. Or even using some of Edison's songs.

Branson

Re installed the game from steam and still can't select my resolution because it thinks 170hz is an actual normal refresh rate for a tv. Yay. Best $50 spent ever. God dammit.

My friend has my correct resolution at 60hz and everything. Best port ever.

I'm still new to this and struggling to regenerate health.

I've bought food because it was suggested before but it seems only the first food i bought regenerated health and it only regenerated like 3 bars and all the others do nothing. I also randomly found a health shrine but i don't know if that did anything or not because i don't see my health bar right now. So maybe my health bar only shows up on low health?

How can i get my health back up easily?

Top Bottom