• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Okay so redoing a Fight Club seems to unstick the progress percentage bug, in case anybody else gets hit with it.

So that's a Plat. Well done UFG on crafting a fantastic game. The only 2 things I could say I felt it needed was more involved romances, make me work for the ladies and their rewards a bit more. Also could have done with a few more story missions in the back half
to flesh out the Wei's relationships with the higher up Triad leaders. I don't feel I ever got the same handle on the likes of Broken Nose and Pockface as much as you did Winston, Jackie and Conroy. And as an antagonist Big Smile Lee didn't feel as involved when the rivalry was between Water Street and Dogeyes.

I love the nods to other martial arts films by getting custom outfits for completing the fight clubs. My favor has to be the "Manhattan Melee" outfit (Rumble In The Bronx Jackie Chan). Now I am running around getting into fights with thugs yelling, "I don't want no trouble!"

Bruce Lee Game of Death outfit is sweet too!

Cloudy

Banned
Wow, that white tux is stylish.
Too bad I can't wear it after that mission. RIP Winston and Peggy :(

This game is INTENSE!

Kerub

Banned
Finished the story now..
I'm a bit dissapointed that I didn't get to choose between staying loyal to the cops or staying a gangster.

damn i love the attention to detail in this game. i see stuff i haven't noticed in other games (altho im sure its there) like homeless people, and once i saw a drunk guy drunkenly trying to cross a street without giving a shit about getting hit.

Cloudy

Banned
Game is kinda hard.

Stole some fake watches with Jackie Ma and had to redo the mission several times due to getting my ass kicked by thugs. Stop mobbing me assholes!

In wide open spaces, grapple one and drag him away for a beatdown lol. That mission also has a lot of environment attack points. You need them

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
any way to stop the camera shaking while driving? is it an issue with my PC settings or is that as intended? really annoying. it feels like the framerate is hitching a lot but only while driving at high speeds otherwise everything is fine.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I kept doing the moves too fast and it wouldn't register. The 'Leg Break' was particularly hard to get tracked properly.

I had the same problem too, I beat the system.

DukeBobby

Just finished it. Absolutely fantastic, top 5 of this generation for me. Currently, it's my GOTY, and Dishonored and Hitman: Absolution will have do a lot to beat this. Well done United Front Games, very well done indeed.

mrpeabody

I paid a visit to a massage parlour early on in the game and don't recall getting any Face upgrade. I do remember the lady being amazingly slutty though.

Massage parlors give you a temporary boost in Face generation during fights (like food does for health). Doing yellow missions increases your "Face level" and grants permanent bonuses to various things.

The Chef

When you lose cop points, or whatever, when you crash into stuff driving or attack an innocent person, what does that actually mean? Im obviously not losing my upgrade bar progress.

Jimrpg

any way to stop the camera shaking while driving? is it an issue with my PC settings or is that as intended? really annoying. it feels like the framerate is hitching a lot but only while driving at high speeds otherwise everything is fine.

its annoying at first - but i got used to it. Stare into the distance if you can't handle it but there's no way to turn it off.

in the end I thought it was fine. maybe they'll include a way to turn it off in an update

When you lose cop points, or whatever, when you crash into stuff driving or attack an innocent person, what does that actually mean? Im obviously not losing my upgrade bar progress.

At the end of the mission, you're cop experience reward is less than what it would have been had you not killed innocent people. So less points to put into the upgrade, but it's not a huge difference so far from what I've seen.

It affects how much "cop" points you get at the end of a mission. Notice you don't get those pop ups outside of a mission.

EDIT: Welp, beaten.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

You are losing part of your upgrade bar progress, it depends on blue badges.
Every time you do something that the game deems unholy, say touch the next car, it chips away at your blue badges, and you lose progress. One mistake and you lose a badge.

This game was so uptight, what bitchy system.

Anyways, once you reach level 10 (Supercop), you won't have to worry about not causing public property damage, and or running people into the ground.

To become the biggest thug on the block: when you're doing a mission kill the enemies with headshots to get more points, and make sure to make their cars explode afterwards to get even more points.

I was trigger happy back then, and only formulated this strategy later in the game, I'm only level thug at the end :(

Jimrpg

I assumed that the higher your cop score (three blue triangles) the more points you receive for your upgrade bar progress.

Jimrpg

You are losing part of your upgrade bar progress, it depends on blue badges.
Every time you do something that the game deems unholy, say touch the next car, it chips away at your blue badges, and you lose progress. One mistake and you lose a badge.

This game was so uptight, what bitchy system.

Anyways, once you reach level 10 (Supercop), you won't have to worry about not causing public property damage, and or running people into the ground.

To become the biggest thug on the block: when you're doing a mission kill the enemies with headshots to get more points, and make sure to make their cars explode afterwards to get even more points.

I was trigger happy back then, and only formulated this strategy later in the game, I'm only level thug at the end :(

I thought it was a pretty good system - allows a little bit of replayability. I'm usually not worried about things like maxxing out my character when i'm playing the story as long as i'm powerful enough.

haikira

Cop experience is easy in my opinion. Maxed it out a while ago without trying and think i still have about 1/4 of the game left. Triad experience on the other hand, is going much slower for me. Think i'm only coming up to level 7. Any tips for that?

Found out early massages and racing = quick face leveling. Have it maxed out too.

Totally understand all the posts now, when people said they didn't want this game to end. It's so good. Easily making my top ten list, for the GOTY thread. I'd really written this game off too actually. If it wasn't for Square Enix talking up the PC version, I wouldn't have paid much attention. Or at least until i saw all the good word of mouth around here.

Man i suck at this game. I just died 6 times in a row at the same drug bust. I've only beaten the first story mission before it becomes open world though. I guess maybe i should keep playing the story and maybe the drug bust is too difficult for now.

LiK

Man i suck at this game. I just died 6 times in a row at the same drug bust. I've only beaten the first story mission before it becomes open world though. I guess maybe i should keep playing the story and maybe the drug bust is too difficult for now.

use environmental kills to quickly take care of a few dudes and just keep countering. don't attack too much or you'll be taken down quick.

use environmental kills to quickly take care of a few dudes and just keep countering. don't attack too much or you'll be taken down quick.

Yeah there was a dumpster and 3 phone booths. I still get destroyed though. 8 guys vs. 1. I'm good at environmental kills but after that i can't kill the other 4 guys and i can only counter for so long. Eventually i get picked up and thrown to the ground and then stomped on lol.

SRG01

Recognize which mobs do what and you'll do fine.

TIP: Don't try to grapple a guy with a weapon. Or the big guys. Also, grapple + punching puts you into a special sequence that prevents enemies from attacking you (like GOW with the special kills).

edit: If you get picked up, be patient. A QTE prompt should pop up to let you break out of the hold.

LiK

Yeah there was a dumpster and 3 phone booths. I still get destroyed though. 8 guys vs. 1. I'm good at environmental kills but after that i can't kill the other 4 guys and i can only counter for so long. Eventually i get picked up and thrown to the ground and then stomped on lol.

oh, the big burly grapplers. just spam attack them. you can't grab them but quick attacks will take them down. if they grab you, mash Y or Triangle as fast as you can to knock them away. if they try to stomp you just mash B or Circle. it's the same everytime.

DukeBobby

I had trouble with a lot of the drug busts too, as you often have to fight many guys at once. I actually found them to be much more difficult than the majority of the main story missions. Do some more missions (to get a better handle on the combat), unlock more moves (this will be explained in an early mission), and then tackle them later.

SRG01

oh, the big burly grapplers. just spam attack them. you can't grab them but quick attacks will take them down. if they grab you, mash Y or Triangle as fast as you can to knock them away. if they try to stomp you just mash B or Circle. it's the same everytime.

Better yet, attack the guys with a weapon, pick it up, and just spam attack everyone.

Oh, that reminds me, I think the only way to "grapple" a guy with a weapon is the running tackle.

LiK

Better yet, attack the guys with a weapon, pick it up, and just spam attack everyone.

Oh, that reminds me, I think the only way to "grapple" a guy with a weapon is the running tackle.

yea, not sure if he's at the drug busts with weapons yet, but if they have them, weapons pretty much make it easy to take them out.

Thanks for the help everybody!

And yeah no weapons yet. Just played the night market story mission and thats it. I gave up on the drug busts and am now doing favors to gain face and have found some collectibles on the way. I'm still enjoying the game and will return to drug busts eventually.

I actually think i did part 1 of some cop mission as well as the night market mission. Only melee so far still.

george_us

Goodbye
Big Smile Lee.

Just finished the game. Hell of a ride and unquestionably the best open world game I've ever played.

I had trouble with a lot of the drug busts too, as you often have to fight many guys at once. I actually found them to be much more difficult than the majority of the main story missions. Do some more missions (to get a better handle on the combat), unlock more moves (this will be explained in an early mission), and then tackle them later.

A lot of the drug busts are easy if you just grab a car and run most of the dudes over. Kinda cheap though, depends on how you look at it.

Creative use of game mechanics, maybe.

I had problems with drug busts, so i took a break and finished a few martial arts clubs. Perfect place to 'get the system'. After that, the only problem i had was that 1 drug bust on land with guns and you don't have access to a gun from teh ground, but that you you can sneak around and jump on a guy, take his gun, slide on something and slowmo shoot dudes.

My combat strategy for teh most part, is to take out the grapplers first. They are annoying but they have no defense abilities so you can pound them easily.

My probably most used combo is light light light heavy. That final hit has a good arc to strike many dudes when you unlock the upgrade.

flying kick + follow up is also great when you counter attack (counter a guy leaves them defenseless for a few seconds afterwards).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Best way to finish off thugs for me:

1. Keep grabbing them and breaking their goddamn legs and elbows, with some punches thrown in from time to time.

2. Which let's you gain face quickly so you can do the same to grapplers.

Everyone's crippled for life.

kiryogi

Banned
Also, I am developing a habit of kicking pedestrians in the back.

I have a habit of grabbing citizens and shoving them into a trunk XD

I had problems with drug busts, so i took a break and finished a few martial arts clubs. Perfect place to 'get the system'. After that, the only problem i had was that 1 drug bust on land with guns and you don't have access to a gun from teh ground, but that you you can sneak around and jump on a guy, take his gun, slide on something and slowmo shoot dudes.

My combat strategy for teh most part, is to take out the grapplers first. They are annoying but they have no defense abilities so you can pound them easily.

My probably most used combo is light light light heavy. That final hit has a good arc to strike many dudes when you unlock the upgrade.

flying kick + follow up is also great when you counter attack (counter a guy leaves them defenseless for a few seconds afterwards).

Actually if you really had trouble and justed to get it over with, you could always just drive into a drug bust with a vehicle and commit vehicular homicide :D

Just got this game. Loving it so far. How rewarding is just wandering around? Is it as extensive as GTA?
I've logged 20 hours and it doesn't even feel like it. The atmosphere really is great.

Wow, that white tux is stylish.
Too bad I can't wear it after that mission. RIP Winston and Peggy :(

This game is INTENSE!
:((

I like to runing-tackle them lol
Haha I always do this too. Looks so damn hilarious.

Where/What are the fight clubs? And the only moves i know are mash x repeatedly and push x once and then hold x.

Top Bottom