• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Tiktaalik

Had a look at my stats for the first time:

66% through the story
12h playtime

but I've done very little of the side missions. Only two races and only one job! Where are all the jobs? Do they show up on the map? I gotta hunt these down!

Is linked to the Cop missions, follow that tracker when the case will be available

Yup that was it. Pretty interesting series of events. A bit disappointing that that was the last one.

I'm starting to feel like the game is a bit stingy on actual missions. Not that what's available isn't great, but I dunno. I'm 5 missions away from the end after 18 hours and I was dicking around, looking for health shrines and beating up goons for at least 6

Is the graphics option menu in the PC version really weird for anyone else? Every time I try and select 'On' for the high-res textures it clicks back to 'Off' as soon as I move to the next option. It does the same for one of the shadow effects, doesn't want me to turn off V-Sync, and keeps clicking AA up to High. I've got no idea what's going on with it. I've been turning on the high-res textures and then saving and backing out before moving to another setting, but I have no idea if it's sticking.

Claude

Catalina's bitch

66% through the story
12h playtime

but I've done very little of the side missions. Only two races and only one job! Where are all the jobs? Do they show up on the map? I gotta hunt these down!

Yes.

- J - D -

66% through the story
12h playtime

Use your phone to call Roland or Tran. That's how you get jobs.

Future

Skimmed this thread and pretty hyped. Want to buy for a console now, are there any reasons to go with 360 or PS3. Trying to look through this thread for the answer but I'm worrie about accidental spoilers, and it seems like tons of you have it on PC

Tiktaalik

Skimmed this thread and pretty hyped. Want to buy for a console now, are there any reasons to go with 360 or PS3. Trying to look through this thread for the answer but I'm worrie about accidental spoilers, and it seems like tons of you have it on PC

LensOfTruth says X360 is a bit better graphically.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I broke down and got the PS3 version. I had some games (and an old PSP), that I wasn't ever going to do anything with, so I traded them in and got Sleeping Dogs, Jak and Daxter HD, and Fallout 3: GOTY Edition for my wife.

I'm currently just starting the opening cutscene, so I'll report back in a bit, when I've sunk more time into it.

I wanted to wait and pick it up for the PC, but dammit, I just couldn't hold off anymore.

EDIT: Graphically, the game is looking really good on my PS3. I'm playing on a 40" Samsung, 720p, if that means anything. I'm not really seeing any crazy graphical shortcomings at the moment. But then, I don't have the 360 version running side by side. I'm not really a big follower of graphical comparisons, however.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Is the graphics option menu in the PC version really weird for anyone else? Every time I try and select 'On' for the high-res textures it clicks back to 'Off' as soon as I move to the next option. It does the same for one of the shadow effects, doesn't want me to turn off V-Sync, and keeps clicking AA up to High. I've got no idea what's going on with it. I've been turning on the high-res textures and then saving and backing out before moving to another setting, but I have no idea if it's sticking.

this should be in OP:

1)turn your graphics to EXTREME in NOT ADVANCED graphics menu
2)when the request to save settings appears answer NO
3)after that you can go to advanced settings and your changes will stick.

Here we go again.....

Well my game crashes during the second mission, now my game only starts in windowed mode, and I can't disable it.

Tried reseting the resolution, disabling an re-enabling full screen; nothing works.

Any help?

In case anyone is curious, I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and that did the trick. Now I'm back to full screen mode.

Cloudy

Banned
I feel a bit dumb... but after finishing the game... I'm still not seeing what the meaning behind the title is.

I haven't finished it but I guess it's a strained reference to not poking a sleeping dog? Or maybe sleeping dog is some sort of slang for an undercover agent?

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
I've been meaning to ask, has it been confirmed 100% that there will be more DLC coming?
Yes, there will be moar DLC coming. Most will be premium and a small proportion will be free. We do have plans for substantial SP mission content (obvs SP... dur). All post-launch DLC is currently in development - this isn't gameplay cut from release and repackaged to nickle-and-dime you, but rather original, fresh content.

Just a quick question - are the favors in this game procedurally generated or are they all set?
All favors are set, but random events are generated dynamically. You can find a gudie to the random events here.

I'm missing the bottom left Jade statue, where is it?
Sleeping Dogs jade statue locations guide. Have a look there.

I feel a bit dumb... but after finishing the game... I'm still not seeing what the meaning behind the title is.
Take a look at this post. That's how it was explained to me (if I recall correctly).

LiK

It doesnt mean anything to me either in either English or Cantonese. Seem like its just some random title to replace the old True Crime Hong Kong title.

Cloudy

Banned
Yes, there will be moar DLC coming.

I never noticed till now but it seems like you worked on/are affiliated with the game. Can you say what your exact role is/was?

Anyways, I have to say this is the most fun I've had gaming in YEARS. And I don't even like the genre. Kudos and Thanks :D

Monkeythumbz

I never noticed till now but it seems like you worked on/are affiliated with the game. Can you say what your exact role is/was?

Anyways, I have to say this is the most fun I've had gaming in YEARS. And I don't even like the genre. Kudos and Thanks :D

Sure, check out the Occupation descriptor in my public profile.

This isn't my first time with GAF, I just haven't hung out here for a few years and it was under a different handle/e-mail address back then (obviously).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yes, there will be moar DLC coming. Most will be premium and a small proportion will be free. We do have plans for substantial SP mission content (obvs SP... dur). All post-launch DLC is currently in development - this isn't gameplay cut from release and repackaged to nickle-and-dime you, but rather original, fresh content.

You're probably unable to elaborate much further, but are you able to clarify to what extent 'substantial' is in relation to SP DLC? Are we talking content on par with any of the missions in the game (eg: polices cases), or quick replayable missions not unlike the pre-order DLC bonuses?

LiK

This ins't my first time with GAF, I just haven't hung out here for a few years and it was under a different handle/e-mail address back then (obviously).

welcome back to GAF, tell the devs we want more story DLC! personally, i need the dates to be fleshed out.

So the demo ran at a buttery smooth 60fps on my rig after playing with the settings for a bit.

Really enjoyed it but it's probably not very representative of the performance I'll encounter in the full game, right? I mean, there were no open world parts in the demo. :(

Monkeythumbz

You're probably unable to elaborate much further, but are you able to clarify to what extent 'substantial' is in relation to SP DLC? Are we talking content on par with any of the missions in the game (eg: polices cases), or quick replayable missions not unlike the pre-order DLC bonuses?
There will be what you'd consider story content, although not necessarily a continuation of the game's campaign (as in, I'm not 100% sure). I'm sorry, I really can't elaborate further right now.

welcome back to GAF
Thanks dude, it's nice to be back (...especially in a professional capacity, if I'm being honest. It's pretty co0o0o0l.)

Are there a couple hidden lockboxes that don't show up on your minimap?
I still need one in Central and there is nothing left to collect!
Try this: Sleeping Dogs Lockbox Locations Guide

Cloudy

Banned

This ins't my first time with GAF, I just haven't hung out here for a few years and it was under a different handle/e-mail address back then (obviously).

Nice. Is there anyplace to leave suggestions and what not for upcoming DLC on the SE forums? I would join to do that lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There will be what you'd consider story content, although not necessarily a continuation of the game's campaign (as in, I'm not 100% sure). I'm sorry, I really can't elaborate further right now.

Cheers.

subversus

The more I play the game the more I like it. Very nice pacing so far.

Just imagine that it was cancelled once.

remember this?

truecrimeemotion.jpg

this is why game's footage is usually shown very late in development cycly (even thought a vertical slice can be rather polished).

BY2K

Membero Americo
Played for an hour. Great voices, nice story. Combat feels like Arkham City, but a tiny bit less fluid. Cars control like heaven. I like this game a lot.

Smash88

Banned
Man, I really wish I could continue on with the story, but I had to send my headphones back for warranty, and I don't want to experience the game without the nice booming sounds and crisp clear voice acting (since it is central to the game itself) on some earphones of crappy Apple quality.

Acheteedo

Picked up the game today, it's really impressing me, the cutscenes are gripping and the developers totally nailed the combat. Biggest downside is the motorbike handling, I wish Rockstar would outsource their "the Lost and Damned" bike handling, that was perfect.

Zeliard

Something about the running jumping back kick is so satisfying. I just run around kicking random pedestrians in the head. Can't help myself.

subversus

I like Wei Shen as a character. It seems that he'll be more developed the further the story goes.

Played for about two hours. Gotta say wow, if it stays this good throughout it may very well be one of the best for the year.

Is this how Europeans felt playing GTA games, driving on the "wrong" side? It feels very strange and I've gotten into a few accidents going in the wrong lane so far...

Showed the game to a couple of friends and they were pretty impressed. Guessing that's a couple more sales for the game at some point. :p

Played for about two hours. Gotta say wow, if it stays this good throughout it may very well be one of the best for the year.

Is this how Europeans felt playing GTA games, driving on the "wrong" side? It feels very strange and I've gotten into a few accidents going in the wrong lane so far...
Actually, it's kind of weird for us too, because we're so used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road in most games. :p So I think a lot of us encounter the same problem of gravitating to the right side of the road at first, or getting into vehicles on the wrong side. It's kind of bizarre considering the game reflects how we drive in real life. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got it today and I'm really enjoying it so far. Played 4 hours in one sitting, haven't done that in a long time. All of the side stuff is surprisingly high quality, which is nice. Not much of the annoying open world game jank either. I'm really loving the melee combat so far. Super satisfying and brutal. I can't wait to get more moves. One of the rare games I've actually enjoyed driving in as well. Surprisingly great first impression.

Neiteio

Sunk many hours into this game today. I think I'm a half-dozen missions from the end, in terms of the main storyline. It's not a spoiler to say that Vivienne and Sandra are two of the most smoking hot videogame vixens ever (even if they leave you feeling kind of dirty). Also, I just came across the Fish Market (in Alberdeen, I believe?), and I loved hopping and climbing across the different boats. I also love the favors where you free-run for the photographer. So much cool stuff in this game. I also tried playing the PC version on an HDTV... Mother of god...

Derrick01

Banned

This is good to hear. I'd prefer something like the GTA 4 expansions as far as amount of content goes (but with Wei returning, he's too good of a character!) but if it's just mission packs and the missions are of a high quality then that's great too.

Neiteio

I think it's fairly reasonable to expect:

+ Multiple new triad missions, cop cases, favors and events you can trigger
+ A fifth district to explore in Hong Kong, with a new apartment
+ The addition of aircrafts and collectibles hidden on previously inaccessible rooftops
+ A full-fledged multiplayer mode where you and 15 others can explore all of Hong Kong
+ Co-op missions within the open world where you and other players can storm hideouts
+ More underground racing, as well as multiplayer compatibility with racing
+ All-new fighting styles, with all-new moves available within each discipline
+ A variety of new makeshift weapons, firearms and environmental finishers
+ Abundant new clothing, accessories and apartment appliances to buy
+ A variety of new vehicles to attain and food vendors to try
+ Several distinctive new enemy types, and a new martial arts club
+ New arcade location with a variety of arcade minigames to play
+ New radio tunes and tracks on the karaoke machine
+ Lots of new NPC banter and incidental detail
+ Fully explorable subway system

LOL, am I right?

Mung

Just finished the game and now feel safe to enter this thread!

This game is bloody excellent. The combat is really fun, nice to have a sort of batman type combat in a sandbox game.

The narrative is good, makes you appreciate the main character and his moral dilemmas.

This was a really good surprise for this summer. SE deserve a lot of credit. Hope it sells well.

Top Bottom