• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Hargenx

I'm done guys, just four achievements left, I want a 100% but is not fun find this random events. LOL

OK, game of the year so far for me.

Mindlog

I usually don't like the new GTA model of 'open world' games where every mission is as scripted and linear as any COD or Uncharted, but I find the basic gameplay so fun in this I think I'll be OK with it.
That's what I was saying earlier. In an open world game the scripted corridor just sticks out even more. Thankfully it's a good script.

Warning end-game spoilers.
Given that this was once a true crime game, the only reason Pendrew got busted was because of your thug and cop levels, at least that was what I thought initially..

See how the cutscenes played out in segments, I'm of the opinion that initially the ending segments were varied and alternates were available.

If you got a low thug level, Broken Nose Jiang wouldn't have given you that folder, if you had a low cop level, you wouldn't have been spared by Raymond, etc..
I hope they can do these things in the sequel, because this is obviously a game deserving of one.

Also count me in the 'Bikes for Life' camp.
This was the inspiration for 沈偉 and the title.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
I haven't finished the game either, but I imagine it's a play off the "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie" saying, which means just leave things as they are.

Could be that Wei is a sleeping dog and by putting him in the Triads, you've woken him, when you should've just left him alone.

Who knows!

It was described to me as reflecting Wei's own motivations to go after the Triads. After all, it was Dog Eyes who got Wei's sister hooked on junk, which ultimately led to her death... but the Triads are a powerful and ruthless criminal organisation (to say the least), and so rather than embarking on a risky path of vengeance, perhaps it would have been better if Wei (and Pendrew) had let 'sleeping dogs' lie.

Or I think that's how it went. I hadn't had my first cup of coffee that morning, so I might be misremembering.

Anywei, I heard you like memes, so I put a meme in your thread etc etc.

b846012ee0e5d49aaac49e10f10d4309-d5c7mai.png

garath

Why did I highlight :(

Only got a peek but I'm slightly spoiled now. Must leave this thread till I'm done with the game. No idea how far I am.

just finished showing the American music producer around town
but I must be getting close.

Yeah, I haven't been a victim of accidentally highlighting something yet, but I wish you had to actually hold down the mouse button to reveal a spoiler, and not just hover.

Mindlog

Minor mission spoiler ahead.
Why did I highlight :(

Only got a peek but I'm slightly spoiled now. Must leave this thread till I'm done with the game. No idea how far I am.

just finished showing the American music producer around town
but I must be getting close.
I'm very sorry. I'm normally more careful about labeling spoilers, but forgot I was quoting one. Thanks for the heads up though I edited to make sure it's properly labeled.

I just got a call from
Not Ping!

This pleases me. Now I just need
Amanda
to call. I miss her. :(

Edit: Gah, nevermind, I can't call them back. Now I'm sad. :(

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
fixed the bug with some voodoo magic. They should patch this shit asap.

Did the first mission on the market. I like how the game makes it personal right away.

Does anyone else get terrible LOD loading? I tried playing Sleeping Dogs yesterday and had LOD pop up like maybe 20 m from where I was, driving at maybe 40 km/h (little bit faster than traffic maybe).

I try rebooting my comp to see if it fixes that

Thrakier

I've been playing the game on the PC but I decided to give the PS3 demo a shot just for kicks and I came away duly impressed.

Yes, the PC version is obvious a step up, but the PS3 version still looks fantastic and runs fairly smoothly. It's very clearly the same game and much of the visual panache remains in tact. Impressive work. It's definitely one of the best looking sandbox games to date.

I'm really sick of the driving camera, though. The way it faces down all of the time is just beyond irritating. You have these massive structures stretched before you and the camera wants to tilt down the entire time. I wish this could be adjusted.

Well, that's kinda funny. I played the PS3 demo and thought "god damn that's horrible looking and plays like shit in comparison".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally.

sleepm6o8f.jpg

Pretty sure this is the first game I've ever 100%'d in achievements.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm jealous.

I don't have any Platinum trophies on PS3 and I was thinking about making this my first. Any particular achievements give you any issues?

Nope. If you aim to complete 'everything', as in do every mission and find all the collectables, it's easy to unlock a massive chunk of the achievements throughout the game. By the end you'll have so much money that you'll be able to easily buy all the clothing and cars, as long as your face is level ten.

Silver/Gold stat grinding is a bit tedious, but it teaches you mastery of the mechanics and, again, you'll chew through a lot of them through normal. There's a few you're unlikely to get unless you try, like massacring cops and maybe vault disarms, but you can replay levels or just focus on getting them in the sandbox easily enough.

Most annoying was, by far, the gambling one. You have to make $1million net profit from gambling. The cock fighting at the Kennedy port is the best place to do it in terms of profit, as you can make $100,000 from a win. But because cock fighting is bullshit, and losses take you a step back from the goal, you better get used to saving after each win, and reloading after each loss.

Level ten triad was also kind of annoying, simply because it's ten times easier to make level ten cop thanks to drug busts than it is level ten triad. But I enjoyed the missions enough to replay a good few aiming for max triad points. Helps if you're wearing clothing that gives a triad bonus.

Marleyman

Banned
Another thing that is buggy but cracks me up is when you break up a drug bust, win, and the guys scatter. They not only scatter but always seem to take whatever vehicle I used to get there, leaving Wei all alone and on foot.

Another thing that is buggy but cracks me up is when you break up a drug bust, win, and the guys scatter. They not only scatter but always seem to take whatever vehicle I used to get there, leaving Wei all alone and on foot.

Hahaha yes, This happened to me on my first drug bust and a guy took my bike and I was like....wtf just happened? =)

I think Sleeping Dogs will probably be the only game of the year (besides premium pass for BF3) that I'll buy DLC for =)

foxdvd

the main problem I had was the button for using a taxi and for stealing a taxi is the same...only you hold it longer to use the taxi...well if the car moves an inch or you slide a bit, you end up stealing it...

I just realized that I've never been able to successfully do a car environmental attack (like with the car door). Anything special involved in that? Every time I drag them to the car I just slam them into it. Is it one of the ones that isn't automatic (i.e. you have to press B to do it)?

Lingitiz

I just realized that I've never been able to successfully do a car environmental attack (like with the car door). Anything special involved in that? Every time I drag them to the car I just slam them into it. Is it one of the ones that isn't automatic (i.e. you have to press B to do it)?

I think its contextual. There will be a B button prompt to do it.

It's contextual, but you might also be sprinting with them towards the car which automatically does the head slam move. Pull them to the doors/trunk slowly, and watch for the button prompt.

Hargenx

Silver/Gold stat grinding is a bit tedious, but it teaches you mastery of the mechanics and, again, you'll chew through a lot of them through normal. There's a few you're unlikely to get unless you try, like massacring cops and maybe vault disarms, but you can replay levels or just focus on getting them in the sandbox easily enough.

That's why I stop without my 100%, I found this been SOOOOO FUCKING LAME, I just made some more, but after some time I realize I wasn't have fun anymore, and no fun no game for me. LOL

But we gonna have DLC, and then we come back to the fight!

Cloudy

Banned
I just played the mission with Johnny Rat Face. That chick he was talking to was HOT. Why not use that model for one of the "dates" instead of the trolls I've seen so far? lol

That's why I stop without my 100%, I found this been SOOOOO FUCKING LAME, I just made some more, but after some time I realize I wasn't have fun anymore, and no fun no game for me. LOL

But we gonna have DLC, and then we come back to the fight!

I've been meaning to ask, has it been confirmed 100% that there will be more DLC coming?

Great game. Damn, such a great game.

One thing that is driving me nuts is how terrible the AA is. Even the high option is still jaggy as shit. I'm running that and SMAA ultra setting which drops my fps quite a lot, and still the jaggies remain. One of the worst aliasing solutions I've come across. :/

JoeBoy101

It was described to me as reflecting Wei's own motivations to go after the Triads. After all, it was Dog Eyes who got Wei's sister hooked on junk, which ultimately led to her death... but the Triads are a powerful and ruthless criminal organisation (to say the least), and so rather than embarking on a risky path of vengeance, perhaps it would have been better if Wei (and Pendrew) had let 'sleeping dogs' lie.

Or I think that's how it went. I hadn't had my first cup of coffee that morning, so I might be misremembering.

I was under the impression the title referred to
Pandrew and his relationships with Uncle Po and Sonny Wong. Their history and how he wanted to tie everything up before leaving Hong Kong, and where you fit in to everything. But given what you said, its really all over the place. The relationship between Winston and Dogeyes. Big Smile Lee's maneuvering. etc.

TheExecutive said:
Is this a sandbox game or open world like Mafia 2?

Think Mafia 2, but with side content. I'd say a sandbox game, but it hones towards Mafia 2 with its more serious atmosphere, plot, and characters.

Top Bottom