• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Neiteio

Man, someone needs to upload a high-quality copy of "On Buddha's Land" to YouTube. There's one video with the song, but the volume is so low. C'mon, now, where's the love for the game's best song? (Other favorites: Two Brothers, Love is Heavy, and Fuse.)

Zeliard

How many of you kicked this guy in the face?

hkship2012-08-2503-37t2iz5.png

Neiteio

How many of you kicked this guy in the face?

hkship2012-08-2503-37t2iz5.png
"I can't resist having my picture taken."

I lost my shit at that point. XD

Also, I love when thugs congregate near streets, I always take the opportunity to acquaint their skulls with the doors of passing automobiles.

pikablu

The motor cycle racing in this game is so good that I'd love it if these devs worked on a Road Rash title. While driving around the city I felt like just bashing people off their bikes.

- J - D -

The police npcs in this game aren't really a threat even once you reach the highest threat level. I stole two cars and barricaded myself inside a convenience store and proceeded to wipe out the entire police force of Hong Kong, though they kept coming like clowns out of a clown car. When I ran out of ammo, I just vault disarmed the unlucky cop that got too close to the barricade, took his weapon and mowed down the rest in slow-mo. Rinse, repeat. Sometimes a civilian would randomly pop up inside the store, so I just used them as a shield.

I did it to see how much it would escalate. Sadly, no tanks. I hope in the sequel they're equipped with smoke grenades and tear gas and better AI that would allow them to vault over things.

I am about 9 hours in so far, and 26% through the story. I am absolutely loving this game. One of my all time favourite sandbox games :D

I am doing a yellow/side quest atm at the Temple. I have to defeat as many
Monks
as possible. How many do you actually need to beat?? I have killed 53 so far and they just keep coming haha.

My only issues with the game so far (360 version):

1) What's with open world games no longer having lightning during storms??

Ever since GTA 3, I have always loved the atmosphere generated in the games. Be it with streets filled with people, or the different times of day/night. But the one thing I have always loved was playing during storms. I always loved seeing the cities get lit up by lightning, whilst driving or running around on foot.

Yet for some reason, the last few open world games seem to have forgotten to include it. First Saints Row 3 (which I still find strange given that even SR2 had it) , and now Sleeping Dogs. They still include thunder and rain...but no longer include lightning in the storms.

It's kind of disappointing in that it takes away just that little bit of atmosphere that I love most in open world games.

2) Lack of public transport. I used to love riding the trains/trams in Mafia as well as the other public transports (excluding Taxi's) in other games. I wished Sleeping Dogs included the ability to ride the Trams/buses.

3) The perks that show the Shrines/Statues. I really wish you could have the option to turn them off. I love spending hours searching for hidden collectables..and it ruins the fun for me by highlighting them on the mini map.

Aside from that, I am having a field day with it. The combat is so refreshing, especially since every game focuses just on guns.

Derrick01

Banned
Hmm.

Then I guess I'm missing a random event somewhere then. Thanks. :)

As far as jobs go I think there's only those, the car deliveries and the
Roland jobs
. If there's anything left after that I can't think of any, and there wouldn't be much. The car deliveries alone probably account for more than half of the total you need.

Random events are the pain in the ass ones because you have to find them manually. I don't even think they're random, they're just hidden in pre-determined locations and some don't show at night or if it's raining apparently.

As far as jobs go I think there's only those, the car deliveries and the
Roland jobs
. If there's anything left after that I can't think of any, and there wouldn't be much. The car deliveries alone probably account for more than half of the total you need.

Random events are the pain in the ass ones because you have to find them manually. I don't even think they're random, they're just hidden in pre-determined locations and some don't show at night or if it's raining apparently.

Yeah, I found the last random event I needed. Now I just need to grind triad experience to 10 and do the Karaoke stuff, and I'll have my first plat. =P

Setre

Just beat the game and really enjoyed it, probably the most fun I've had in a while. I hope they make another Sleeping Dogs, even if it's not the same cast and takes place somewhere else.

So by my estimation, I'm going to have to replay 20-30 missions to get enough experience to get from Triad Level 9 1/2 to 10.

Any better ways of grinding experience or is this it?

I went from lvl 9-10 triad in the last 4 missions. Before that I replayed the shaolin showdown mission a bunch.

One of the few times that an amazon preorder bonus wasn't complete garbage.

wingz

So by my estimation, I'm going to have to replay 20-30 missions to get enough experience to get from Triad Level 9 1/2 to 10.

Any better ways of grinding experience or is this it?

You only have to play around at most 5 missions. Play missions with a lot gun battles / melee fights. Take your time and concentrate in getting as many points as you can. Always go for headshots. If possible Vault towards your enemy and disarm them when their in cover. In melee battles, DON'T do environmental kills, because they grant less points. Do combos that stun enemies and then knock them out for more added points.

I went from lvl 9-10 triad in the last 4 missions. Before that I replayed the shaolin showdown mission a bunch.

One of the few times that an amazon preorder bonus wasn't complete garbage.

Thank GOD for that pre-order bonus. I have no idea how anyone maxed out Triad during the initial playthrough without it. I just kept replaying it until I went from level 5 to 9. I was sick of wearing the Triad bonus outfits. Suit Wei Shen is Wei Cool Wei Shen.

You only have to play around at most 5 missions. Play missions with a lot gun battles / melee fights. Take your time and concentrate in getting as many points as you can. Always go for headshots. If possible Vault towards your enemy and disarm them when their in cover. In melee battles, DON'T do environmental kills, because they grant less points. Do combos that stun enemies and then knock them out for more added points.

I did that.

I did the
Wedding
mission, which is an absolute bloodbath, and only got maybe 1/20th of a level out of it.

12 hours in, 56% complete.

I am having a ball! I played maybe 3 hours of GTA4 to figure out what all the hoopla was about. It never grabbed me, and honestly no open world crime game has. But this game has me hooked! I have it from Red Box & am seriously considering buying it even though I could beat it with the rental.

I'm not much for games stories (they're usually so hamfisted & cheesy). Sleeping Dogs may riff & borrow from a lot of places, but it manages to do so with its own style & execute them all very well. I for one am impressed.

Highly recommended if you're on this about this one!

How come my health bar has the bottom half being colored blue/purple sometimes and the top half red, while other times it is just fully red?

The red meter is 100% health.

The blue is your upgraded health, it goes up 10% for every 5 health shrines you find.

So eventually when you have "full" health, you'll have a blue AND a red bar to burn through.

The red meter is 100% health.

The blue is your upgraded health, it goes up 10% for every 5 health shrines you find.

So eventually when you have "full" health, you'll have a blue AND a red bar to burn through.

Thanks for the quick answer! I've found just over half the shrines so i guess the blue has become noticeable now since it's like 50% extra health :D

SeriousApes

I drove my motorcycle into my apartment. Aaah yeah.

Do I need to worry about choosing upgrades? Or is it possible to get all of them?

I drove my motorcycle into my apartment. Aaah yeah.

Do I need to worry about choosing upgrades? Or is it possible to get all of them?

You will easily get all the cop and face upgrades.

And most of the Triad ones.

Though, pro-tip, find and wear anything that will give you extra triad experience as early as possible. You don't want to be grinding out the last level replaying missions. =P

Neiteio

Just finished the game at 34 hours. Still have lots of side stuff to do. AMAZING ENDING. The last four or five levels were exceptional, and that's saying something since I thought all of the levels were fun in their own right. Great melee, shootouts, free-running, driving, hacking, etc. And the narrative is thorough and well-done in the way it wraps everything up, which is appreciated on top of the fact it told a coherent and compelling tale throughout. Good stuff -- MOAR! I WANT MOAR!

Also, found my favorite radio song on Amazon. Will loop endlessly.

Oh, and the final finishing move of the game... Damn.

finished the game, really amazing game, gameplay is just perfect, it'll be hard going gta's slower control after this. I wish Rockstar games are more responsive to control, although looking at gta 3 to rdr, they do keep improving the control every time, hopefully they nailed it in gta 5.

the story is engaging and keep making you want to continue playing, but I wish they pick a different direction of where the story go. here's some of my complaint regarding the story and how imo it could be better (even if it's cliche)

18k gang felt like it comes out of nowhere, I think, rather than have big smile lee as the big bad boss working with 18k, it'll be much better if they just flesh out 18k more, more 18k general with their own boss really trying to take out sun on yee. rather than have big smile lee as the scumbag that he is, it'll be much more dramatic if they introduce him as an asshole at the start, but when winston is killed, have Lee to actually upset since they've mention several times how Lee used to be friends with Winston.

I also think they took the easy way out in regards of Wei's status as a cop,
none of Wei's friend ever found out he's a cop, and if they found out about it after the ending, it was shown offscreen. I was really looking forward for the confrontation about Wei's cop status, especially from Jackie or Conroy. I felt it's such a missed opportunity, the confrontation and them overcoming that could have made such a nice moment.

Thinking of picking this up. Hows the performance on ps3?

it's solid, anyone saying it's shit or unplayable is exaggerating, I think it run better than many other games like rdr, max payne 3 or darksiders 2 as comparison if you ever played those titles on ps3.

Top Bottom