• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im pretty much SOL with progressing the police missions any further on the gambling one.

Problem is that using a Japanese system with how it default changes the buttons from X to O with the whole cancel / accept thing, it screws up the selection in the gambling minigame now seems like I cant progress with it. :/

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
This might've been mentioned before, but incase it hasn't....

For those struggling with maxing out their Triad to Level 10 after completing the game
there is an endless battle up at the Temple. After you kill around 10 Monks your Triad bar is full. Let the Monks kill you and you get around 10%, maybe 7% of the bar in points. Rince and repeat.

I'm not sure if this is a similar amount that you get from replaying missions, but otherwise, it doesn't seem as bad as some people were making out and definitely doable if you weren't too low. (I was at Level 9 when I started the (near end name of level)
Election

Just beat the story... ending spoiler stuff:

That ending.. was very satisfying. Great way to end it. Though it got my mind thinking about a possible sequel, where Pendrew gets away and moves up through INTERPOL, and the next game takes place in a European City (or more than one) and you have to take him down/get revenge. Was cool how Jiang and Pockmark are letting Wei walk, too.

Fantastic game, definitely my game of the year, by FAR. Can't wait for DLC!

Edit: Credits are rolling now. REALLY hope I get experience for that last mission after they are over. I maxed out the triad bar in a pretty spectacular way, should put me over the top to level 10.

This might've been mentioned before, but incase it hasn't....

For those struggling with maxing out their Triad to Level 10 after completing the game
there is an endless battle up at the Temple. After you kill around 10 Monks your Triad bar is full. Let the Monks kill you and you get around 10%, maybe 7% of the bar in points. Rince and repeat.

I'm not sure if this is a similar amount that you get from replaying missions, but otherwise, it doesn't seem as bad as some people were making out and definitely doable if you weren't too low. (I was at Level 9 when I started the (near end name of level)
Election

How do you trigger this? Because I hit a monk or two and have to run away from the cops every time.

EDIT: Do you have the martial arts DLC?

- J - D -

If that's a spoiler, then I've been spoiled about 40 times reading through the thread.

The actual mission is pretty cool though, having to
drive Peggy
around to
buy her dress
and to steal
some Orchids
from the
temple
. I didn't feel good about having to
beat up
a bunch of
monks
though.
;P ;P

- J - D -

They were hard to fight, not easy to reverse everything like with the average street thug.

Yes, surprisingly so. Didn't expect them to be so much tougher than the fodder I had been fighting thus far.

Enough joking about the pre-
wedding
mission. Was the
actual wedding mission
tough for anyone else in terms of getting max triad points? I think you needed to
have gotten a head shot on every enemy

Sojgat

Monks will only counter your first grapple attempt, repeat the attack straight away and they stand there and let you break their legs like anyone else. It makes them extremely easy and boring to fight. I had to fight them to bring my Triad score up to 10 after the end of the story. I got up to 225 kills before I just got sick of it and let them kill me.

MY computer crashed and restarted overnight while downloading and installing the high resolution texture pack. How can I be sure if it installed or not? I never played the game, so I have no point of reference.

haikira

MY computer crashed and restarted overnight while downloading and installing the high resolution texture pack. How can I be sure if it installed or not? I never played the game, so I have no point of reference.

Downloading and installing it, enables you to tick an option for it in custom graphics. Just go in there and see if you can enable it. When it's not installed, it can only be set to off.

Dilly

Banned
It's been answered before, so I'm sorry for asking but I can't find it.

What are must see movies if you like the setting/style/story of Sleeping Dogs? I assume "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", but what else?

Here we go again.....

Well my game crashes during the second mission, now my game only starts in windowed mode, and I can't disable it.

Tried reseting the resolution, disabling an re-enabling full screen; nothing works.

Any help?

legbone

What are must see movies if you like the setting/style/story of Sleeping Dogs? I assume "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", but what else?

infernal affairs. just watch infernal affairs and call it a day.

Sojgat

Yeah definitely Hard Boiled, the Killer, Time and Tide, Breaking News, Exiled, Election (ok just any Johnnie To movie), and The Man From Nowhere (which is Korean but see it anyway). Trust me on these movies.

Im pretty much SOL with progressing the police missions any further on the gambling one.

Problem is that using a Japanese system with how it default changes the buttons from X to O with the whole cancel / accept thing, it screws up the selection in the gambling minigame now seems like I cant progress with it. :/

I have the X O button swap thing too and I can pass that mission. Whats your problem? Can you choose play again after you win/lose the first match? I encounter a glitch where whenever I choose 'play again' the camera didn't go to the play view and I couldnt play.

I had to cancel mission and restart the mission since the beginning of that mission.

Once you can play a rematch after the first game, you have to keep playing until you win a couple times, then the story will continue.

BigDug13

Just a quick question - are the favors in this game procedurally generated or are they all set?

I don't think so because under stats, there is "completed favors x/y". Any stat that shows that you've completed x number of y total probably means a set number.

The only thing that seems to be generated so far are the car jack missions.

Clevinger

I just gotta say, what a fucking tragedy it would have been if this never came out. I think this ties with Dark Souls and Red Dead Redemption in my favorite games of the generation.

Man, I'm so torn on whether or not to go after the platinum.

The award trophies are going to be the worst.

I think I'm only at like, 7 people disarmed, when I need 50 for gold, and 3 "free running kills/disarms", and I need 50? Hell, there weren't that many opportunities in the story to do that stuff.

Bleh.

Oh god, no. These are not in the same vein. Its a good movie but its nothing like Sleeping Dogs.

A lot of people posted good suggestions but I would also recomment The Raid, its a Indonesian movie but its good. And Flashpoint with Donnie Yen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think I'm only at like, 7 people disarmed, when I need 50 for gold, and 3 "free running kills/disarms", and I need 50? Hell, there weren't that many opportunities in the story to do that stuff.

Three replays of the
hospital
stage unlocked that for me. Lots of cover, lots of combat. Even if you die a lot I'm pretty sure the disarms count towards the medals.

KAOS

Can't state enough how awesome Derek Zhao (this outsource composer) music is. No relation to the game other than me using him in my custom soundtracks but please check him out and his soundcloud page for free downloads. http://www.derekzhao.net/

eshwaaz

I just gotta say, what a fucking tragedy it would have been if this never came out. I think this ties with Dark Souls and Red Dead Redemption in my favorite games of the generation.
So true. It's a miracle Sleeping Dogs got a second chance, and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving game. Most reviews don't give it enough credit - it's one of the most purely fun games I've played in ages.

Umm, I had the girl from K-Bar
Ilyana
call and say her friend
went missing
It doesn't have a quest marker or anything though.

When I called back hoping to get a hint, Wei organized a date :lol

What do I do?

T.O.P

Banned
Umm, I had the girl from K-Bar
Ilyana
call and say her friend
went missing
It doesn't have a quest marker or anything though.

When I called back hoping to get a hint, Wei organized a date :lol

What do I do?

Is linked to the Cop missions, follow that tracker when the case will be available

Three replays of the
hospital
stage unlocked that for me. Lots of cover, lots of combat. Even if you die a lot I'm pretty sure the disarms count towards the medals.

Thanks EC.

Will give that a shot.

Realized that I need to do the races first, though, since I'm most terrible at racing in these open world games, and if I can't beat those, there's no point in doing anything else.=P

Thanks EC.

Will give that a shot.

Realized that I need to do the races first, though, since I'm most terrible at racing in these open world games, and if I can't beat those, there's no point in doing anything else.=P
Driving is easier in this than GTA for me, especially if you have the most expensive vehicle in each class.

I'm still trying to find out if the endless monk fight only comes with the Martial Arts DLC.

Top Bottom