• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

With all the outfits in the game I pretty much only used the Amazon.com pre-order incentive since it added melee damage. I would have loved to use Mr Black, but it had no bonuses other than looks. I ended up looking very Bruce Lee-like in the final missions with the Amazon bonus.

Neiteio

"You've got guts to wear that"

WELL FUCK YOU, MISTER.

I thought Wei looked boss.
"You've got GUTS to wear THAT," yelled quickly offscreen on exiting a clothing store, is honestly my favorite meme-esque quote in the game, followed by "My curry fish balls will blow your mind" and the fan favorite "A man who never has pork bun is never a whole man."

They should have DLC where you get to finally confront the mysterious clothing critic.

BigDug13

I feel like the "face required to buy" part of clothes is pretty dumb personally. By the time you have enough face to piece together an outfit to add triad or police experience, you're already beyond the point of needing that exp.

mrpeabody

"You've got GUTS to wear THAT," yelled quickly offscreen on exiting a clothing store, is honestly my favorite meme-esque quote in the game, followed by "My curry fish balls will blow your mind" and the fan favorite "A man who never has pork bun is never a whole man."

They should have DLC where you get to finally confront the mysterious clothing critic.

What about during the drug bust surveillance. "THE SUSPECT...HAS BEEN SIGHTED!!" The guy sounds like he's about to have a stroke.

Neiteio

I feel like the "face required to buy" part of clothes is pretty dumb personally. By the time you have enough face to piece together an outfit to add triad or police experience, you're already beyond the point of needing that exp.
Not if you focus on the favors first! :)

- J - D -

I prefer clothing that gives Triad exp bonuses, but the outfit that gives the highest bonus looks so dumb. It's a puffy red vest thing particularly.

Neiteio

I love the Game of Death homage jumpsuit (aka The One That Makes You Look Like The Bride in Kill Bill), but it's awkward taking screens of Wei wearing it since the... erm, bulge stands out more than all the pretty high-res textures. Wearing it also made the scene where
Vivienne grabs Wei's crotch
especially awkward!

I think the pants we all wanted to be in were Sandra's, though.

Wait, that doesn't count as clothing.

x3sphere

Just ran into a funny bug... was starting a race, two cars slammed into me at the same time and my car went flying in the sky. Game crashed afterwards. It was like the giant clubbing you in Skyrim, haha.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just got the Platinum Trophy for this!
I was surprised it was so easy, I was at least expecting to have to grind money to be able to afford all the cars - but ended up finishing with $1.7m to spare.

28h 38m play time.

Wish there was more to do, loved this game :(

I must be doing it wrong then. I'm *guessing* around 40hrs and just have about 3-4 grinds left like free running attacks, throwing items to kill people. Everything else is done.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If I bought the gps in a store, I'd take it back and ask for a working one.

Great game though!

If I bought the gps in a store, I'd take it back and ask for a working one.

Great game though!

The problem with it, from my experience, is that if you take a wrong turn it automatically recalculates a new route instead of giving a moment to ask you "What are you doing? Turn around"

The actual path finding assuming that you went where it told you in the first place is fine.

Neiteio

Took me forever to figure how to get to the back alley with the Central Martial Arts Club. You access it through a door that is grey and appears inconspicuous like a texture on the storefront. I love the martial arts clubs -- they ensure I always have a place to quickly go when I want to kick ass (without replaying missions, I mean).

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The actual path finding assuming that you went where it told you in the first place is fine.
I thought it was okay until I hit Cheaters Never Prosper Part 3. There's no way in hell to get to the location in the time limit by following the GPS' directions.

BigDug13

I thought it was okay until I hit Cheaters Never Prosper Part 3. There's no way in hell to get to the location in the time limit by following the GPS' directions.

It's possible but difficult. I always use the GPS (unfortunately) and I got there as the clock ticked down to 1 second. Really not a second to spare by using the GPS on that one.

Loving it so far. The only problem I have with it is the lack of a dedicated jump button. I like jumping over things in games and the current system isn't predictable enough that I know what I'm going to do when I'm messing around and trying to do silly things.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a way to call a taxi in the game? I don't mean using one by holding Y but actually calling one. I feel like I keep looking around to find one but there's not that many (not as many as in GTA4 anyway).

LuchaShaq

Banned
Is there a way to call a taxi in the game? I don't mean using one by holding Y but actually calling one. I feel like I keep looking around to find one but there's not that many (not as many as in GTA4 anyway).

I don't think so, I feel like I can never find one when I need one.

Cloudy

Banned
LMAO. So I stole a cab today and was driving around thinking it'd have been nice if they let you pick up passengers and do dropoffs for cash. Suddenly the cab stops and a guy gets in and gives a location. Wei's like, "Do I look like a cab driver to you?". Amazing lol

Ramirez

Can't believe there wasn't an achievement for getting all of the statues, seemed like an important fetch quest. :p

There's a favor where you have to defend a car while being swarmed by a billion motorcycles and it's really FUCKING MAKING ME MAD

Shoot for the tires, you eventually get to the point to where you kill them without them getting close to you. I was shooting the guys on the first couple tries & ended up dying every time until I went for the tires instead.

Quick

Banned
Shooting the tires also make the cars and motorcycles wipeout in the most awesome way.

I shot the tire off one of the cars chasing me and that car flipped over me, barely missing.

While shooting out tires is efficient, it doesn't net you much XP. What I do is shoot the dudes inside a little, then the tires, then shoot the underside of the cars until they explode.

I just hit level 10 Triad after redoing a couple missions and got that stupid clean drive achievement. My god, I can't count the number of times I fucked it up at 1:40

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Holy shit I feel like I'm going to get nuts the next time I hear someone saying the word "Packs"

So many goddamn packs. Packs this. Packs that. Packs these. Packs those.

Packs, packs, packs, packs, packs. Goddamnit I hate packs.

Ken

Holy shit I feel like I'm going to get nuts the next time I hear someone saying the word "Packs"

So many goddamn packs. Packs this. Packs that. Packs these. Packs those.

Packs, packs, packs, packs, packs. Goddamnit I hate packs.

There's a way to turn it off:
packs packs packs packs.

When you exit a high-end fashion store, he'll say "Cutting edge!!" instead.
The mysterious clothing critic is voiced by Edison Chen, same guy who voiced Jackie Ma, I don't have proof but I know that voice, he used to be on Hong Kong television all the time.

Future

Story is keeping me oddly entertained. Every undercover story anywhere has the moment where there is a reveal to the bad guys. I'm wondering how thats gonna unfold, and how the character is gonna take it.

I'm not lovin it like some people here though. The missions are getting a bit repetitive, and every combat scenario plays out the same way for me now. Traveling around the map is a little tiring (why are taxis so damn hard to find). Unlike some of the old gtas, this game is not opening up sweet new sections of the world as I play. I mean, technically it is as I'm going to other places on the map. But besides new area with more lock boxes and shrines, these areas dont feel that unique or special in any way.

But the core mechanics are definitely fun, and even though they repeat often I still enjoy them. But the story is definitely the surprise hook...I actually want to know how this ends!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There's a way to turn it off:
packs packs packs packs.

Seriously though, of all the DLC Packs (urgh) available in this game, which one that will net you things that you cannot do legitimately through the game itself?

Because if its about money and experience, I'd rather get it through playing the game itself.

Ken

Seriously though, of all the DLC Packs (urgh) available in this game, which one that will net you things that you cannot do legitimately through the game itself?

Because if its about money and experience, I'd rather get it through playing the game itself.

Don't know. I'd assume some of the costume packs would only be DLC like that Retro Triad thing?

saladine1

Finished the game.

Absolutely loved the shit out of it!

I decided that I wanted to play another open world game so I popped in GTA4. Wow.
Honestly, after the driving and combat in Sleeping Dogs, GTA feels archaic. So much so, I am now playing through Sleeping Dogs for a second time instead...

Bring on Sleeping Dogs 2 you sons a beeches!

Nome

The radio commercials in this game are too well-made. They sound like real commercials. if there's one thing I liked more about GTA (there's not many), it's that they put humor in places that needed it.

Feature

Banned
I've beaten a martial arts club, but it's still showing up on the map and when I cycle trough my objectives it's one of them in the list. Do they ever go away or can you just do them as much as you like?

GlamFM

Banned
I've beaten a martial arts club, but it's still showing up on the map and when I cycle trough my objectives it's one of them in the list. Do they ever go away or can you just do them as much as you like?

I did all 4 (?) of them and got an achievement so I guess I´m done with it.

They still show up on my map though.

leng jai

I restarted today and was just as excited to get to the next mission this time around. That's rare for me, especially in an open world game.

So I got back from vacation yesterday and was really in the mood to buy a new game. Wal-Mart was the only place open so I went in with the intention of picking up either Sleeping Dogs or Darksiders II. I got to the point where I was totally going to go for Sleeping Dogs until I saw this cover (not my picture):

iRsOgbTuFW25B.png

I'm guessing it's been discussed here already but I couldn't believe how stupid this was. That huge Wal-Mart logo isn't a sticker, it's actually printed on the cover itself. It was literally a deal-breaker for me so good job, Wal-Mart.

Is it just me or is this really stupid on their part?

So I got back from vacation yesterday and was really in the mood to buy a new game. Wal-Mart was the only place open so I went in with the intention of picking up either Sleeping Dogs or Darksiders II. I got to the point where I was totally going to go for Sleeping Dogs until I saw this cover (not my picture):

iRsOgbTuFW25B.png

I'm guessing it's been discussed here already but I couldn't believe how stupid this was. That huge Wal-Mart logo isn't a sticker, it's actually printed on the cover itself. It was literally a deal-breaker for me so good job, Wal-Mart.

Is it just me or is this really stupid on their part?
That is horrid. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. I can't believe they would ruin the box art to that extent.

Finished the game (which was pretty damn good) but I can't seem to find the last 2 favors I need to do. There are no more favor icons anywhere on the map (I've done the 2 on the gambling barges). Are you supposed to do Roland missions or something to unlock more favors?

Finished the game (which was pretty damn good) but I can't seem to find the last 2 favors I need to do. There are no more favor icons anywhere on the map (I've done the 2 on the gambling barges). Are you supposed to do Roland missions or something to unlock more favors?

You are probably missing two of the random hidden ones.

Edit: I guess Tinypic is banned. Weird.

Anyway, search 'sleeping dogs random events map' on google images and use the second image that pops up. Best tip I can give you is look for the ones that aren't orange during the day. They didn't show up for me at night. I think the orange ones are any time.

Top Bottom