• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

RS4-

Is there any difference you notice between the two versions?

Nothing that really really stands out. I'm not one to be able to give you something like a DF type of look into things.

Granted I'm only 2-3 hours into both. Load times are about the same, game feels smooth (aside from the issue I mentioned in previous posts)

Last sandbox type game I played was SR3 and this feels/controls/moves a lot better than that.

Fighting, like others have mentioned is like Batman AA/AC. There isn't as much leeway when it comes to the counter move in SD though, there is more recovery and you can't always use it when you're doing a heavy attack. Then again, I don't remember much of the counter system from the Batman games other than it was really easy.

M.W.

Nothing that really really stands out. I'm not one to be able to give you something like a DF type of look into things.

Granted I'm only 2-3 hours into both. Load times are about the same, game feels smooth (aside from the issue I mentioned in previous posts)

Last sandbox type game I played was SR3 and this feels/controls/moves a lot better than that.

Fighting, like others have mentioned is like Batman AA/AC. There isn't as much leeway when it comes to the counter move in SD though, there is more recovery and you can't always use it when you're doing a heavy attack. Then again, I don't remember much of the counter system from the Batman games other than it was really easy.

Thanks for the info. I have the PS3 version paid for right now, so it's good to hear it's not gimped.

yes, check out some HK films in the triad/cop genre.

iWpkspOBezPer.gif
If you want I've seen a disturbing amount and can recommend a metric fuckton and while this is the end of the movie....it's worth seeing now
Johnny Wangs fucking EPIC Hong Kong Godfathers staring Lar Kar Yan aka Beardy, Norman Chu, and the director as the boss motherfucker with the sun glasses. Also look for Palo Tocha the dude Van Damne fights in Bloodsport!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHfhKsLPQ8g

RS4-

Oh yeah, one thing I really hated about the collectathon bullshit in sandbox games is that there's no way to know what you already picked up unless you're keeping track of it manually.

In SD? It shows up on your map!

MRORANGE

If you want I've seen a disturbing amount and can recommend a metric fuckton and while this is the end of the movie....it's worth seeing now
Johnny Wangs fucking EPIC Hong Kong Godfathers staring Lar Kar Yan aka Beardy, Norman Chu, and the director as the boss motherfucker with the sun glasses. Also look for Palo Tocha the dude Van Damne fights in Bloodsport!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHfhKsLPQ8g

ooh might check it out, does seem a bit too unrealistic to my taste though lol.

I really liked Elections really loved how deep it was in triad culture, Elections 2 is also great, there's one scene with the meat grinder which makes my stomach churn.

1lB2y.jpg

Just read somewhere that when the game was still True Crime, Wei was meant to become more and more worn out as the game progressed. Wonder if that's still the case.

true-crime-hong-kong1.jpg

ooh might check it out, does seem a bit too unrealistic to my taste though lol.

I really liked Elections really loved how deep it was in triad culture, Elections 2 is also great, there's one scene with the meat grinder which makes my stomach churn.

1lB2y.jpg
HKG can be OTT but it's a lot of fun and full of heroic bloodshed.

Johnnie To's Election films are very nice. I got to met and interview Simon Yam, man is so nice wind so GQ. I even have the HK poster with everyone doing triad signs.

However while I love To's films you need to experience the Golden Age of HK cinema from thru 1980s to 1997. Let me know if you want recs so many movies were made there are so many hidden gems.

Kirk Wong's The Club is good, like I said I can give a lot more if you want.

MRORANGE

HKG can be OTT but it's a lot of fun and full of heroic bloodshed.

Johnnie To's Election films are very nice. I got to met and interview Simon Yam, man is so nice wind so GQ. I even have the HK poster with everyone doing triad signs.

However while I love To's films you need to experience the Golden Age of HK cinema from thru 1980s to 1997. Let me know if you want recs so many movies were made there are so many hidden gems.

Kirk Wong's The Club is good, like I said I can give a lot more if you want.

Sure would be nice to have a movie list, I could add the list to the op if you want.

I've mostly been checking out HK cinema from >2000 and upwards and some classic Chow Yun-fat films, before I moved over to Korean films.

I watched the dev walkthrough on GT, this looks really cool.

Got some GTA III vibes down by the docks and then some Vice City vibes with the boats.

It lacks the crispness of GTA IV but I like the art style/direction much more.
Feels more vibrant and less soulless. Don't want to turn it into a GTA debate but I'm very impressed.

I'll have to pick it up after I finish Darksiders II.

I watched the dev walkthrough on GT, this looks really cool.

Got some GTA III vibes down by the docks and then some Vice City vibes with the boats.

It lacks the crispness of GTA IV but I like the art style/direction much more.
Feels more vibrant and less soulless. Don't want to turn it into a GTA debate but I'm very impressed.

I'll have to pick it up after I finish Darksiders II.

Any idea if there are any comedic radio stations? I just played Gay Tony tonight and just sat in a car for an hour listening to Jason Sudeikis on the Fox News-inspired conservative radio station. Lazlo is awesome as well.

Karak

Any idea if there are any comedic radio stations? I just played Gay Tony tonight and just sat in a car for an hour listening to Jason Sudeikis on the Fox News-inspired conservative radio station. Lazlo is awesome as well.

I don't know if a full station is, but during the first car bits I heard some crazy ass commercials that were most definitely tongue in cheek.

The 360 version, playing it from a disk, is still smooth as hell. Really impressed. Only got to play 4-6 hours before returning it to the game store but I liked it more than I thought. Combat was just a bit "off" but less so than the video's sometimes showed. That was the major worry point for me. I will be going with the PC version myself but that's not a ding on the 360 version as it ran really well even from a disk.

Combat had some cool points like your spin kicks and backfists hitting 2-3 opponents if they were in the range perfectly. That was cool, showing that it wasn't locked to just the enemy you were fighting at the time. The countering was shorter than batman...in fact it really doesn't feel that much like batman aside from the blinking counter(red outline on the enemy). Probably because Batman felt so slick and was really smooth. This has a bit more delay between strikes in a combo or a counter...its odd. It reminded me of a b movie's fight scenes where attacks are just a bit slower than in some of the excellent choreography of other movies. Hitting guys while they were on the ground was cool, if a bit hit and miss. But all in all pretty cool.

Voice acting was SPOT on! Loving some of the dialogue and aside from 1-2 cheesy moments emotion was handled pretty well compared to other Open world style games.

They also made the world seem pretty active, even in the begining parts with lots of NPC's, lots of random jobs to do, lots of people offering powerups(food) and such. It was pretty cool actually.

Kicking a dude into a telephone booth and almost curb stomping him was good fun!

Salsa

from the Kotaku Q&A:

From some of the gameplay trailers, it looks like their is "snap/auto-aim." Can this be disabled?

- No it can't be disabled. But there is a healthy balance between the assist and manual aim that feels very satisfying.

that's.. disappointing. Specially if he's talking about the PC version as well.

Some more interesting stuff from the Kotaku thing

Hey. Been looking quite forward to this game. Just wondering, what were some of your influences and inspirations in the making of this game?

All of HK Cinema!!
Infernal Affairs from a story tone standpoint (obviously also the Departed)
Other movies like Old Boy (Korean), Donnie Brasco, Blade Runner - even Point Break:)

Did you find any funny glitches or bugs during development? What was it?

In open world games you find so many glitches as you develop the game. All the systems are so interconnected you change something somewhere - and the ripple effects are insane. One of my personal favorites was when you could grab a vendor (anyone who sold stuff to you) - put him in the trunk of your car - drive anywhere in the world (to a mission or something) - pull him out and then buy stuff from him to eat and replenish your health. That one was quite handy actually. We contemplated leaving it in as a feature.

from the Kotaku Q&A:

that's.. disappointing. Specially if he's talking about the PC version as well.

I got the impression that the shooting will be minimal in the game, knives and stuff function like pickups rather than inventory and wear out so I half expect guns to be used in a similar throwaway fashion. Will be mainly hand-to-hand with weapon powerups to mix it up and do some slow-mo action stuff jumping over cover. Makes sense to use autoaim for the shooting when driving at the very least. Maybe they will end up patching the option to use freeaim into the PC version.

Salsa

Don't mind, I'll be playing this on a 360 controller.

I got the impression that the shooting will be minimal in the game, knives and stuff function like pickups rather than inventory and wear out so I half expect guns to be used in a similar throwaway fashion. Will be mainly hand-to-hand with weapon powerups to mix it up and do some slow-mo action stuff jumping over cover. Makes sense to use autoaim for the shooting when driving at the very least. Maybe they will end up patching the option to use freeaim into the PC version.

I'll probably end up playing with a 360 pad as well, but I hope im able to do the "headshot to continue the slow-mo" thing on a regular basis, love that from the previews.

LobLob

Banned
Ugh, the more i watch fighting videos of this the more i am concerned i can't use the keyboard and mouse and will have to use a gamepad.

This is pretty amazing to me actually:

In all the of promotional videos leading up to release showing off the 360 version of the game, I've noticed that screen tearing has been pretty prevalent.

From watching a bunch of walk through videos of folks that got the retail 360 version "Urleh", however, it looks like a whole hell of a lot of the that tearing has been diminished exponentially.

For those that missed the stream, here is the 4 hours of footage I recorded!

I spent some of the early hours of the morning (here in Australia) the last couple of nights watching you play, the game really looks pretty dang cool.

Just remembered that I tuned in at like 2am last night and you were just getting out of a boat that you'd parked on top of a pier. You arrested a dude via CCTV in your pad, took a nap then got on the boat and started playing "On a boat" while punching and kicking the air. :p

RS4-

So can anyone confirm if there is a vsync option on this for consoles?

Uhh pretty sure there wasn't. Just the usual console stuff like brightness, resize, etc

I the low frame rate is, I had whmissions sing in a car or on a bike usually happened when the wall is behind me. Anywhere else its fine.

Maybe its all in my head but I think the more experience you get in terms of fight upgrades, the faster Wei initiates and recovers from the counter. I should have kept an early save file to check of that was really the case.

Its nice that the whole city is unlocked. Did some driving around, tried to do some shopping but I think it was Aberdeen? Where I needed level 5+ Face meter just to get a minor thing like shoes.

I haven't shot any guns yet, so I can't comment on that. Did try cock fighting once, lost the minimum bet which was 50k lol. That was a quarter of my money.

Trying to think of anything I didn't like.

edit - console display settings: brightness & UI scale.

RS4-

What's the radio like? Talk radio? DJ's? Fake commercials?

Haven't really paid attention to it :( I'll pay more attention to it when I play again later.

In re: to PC, I guess it depends if you were comfortable playing AssCreed or the Batman games on KB+M.

lexi

Banned
voucher for greenman gaming

PCGMR-GREEN-SUMMR

That'll knock it down to $40.

Thanks, just grabbed for $35 AUD. :)

Only in the last hour or so have I heard about this game and from what I've seen in this thread, damn it looks good.

Sweet. Just sent you a DM asking for your master list. ;)
Oh trust me that list will be done in its entirety, so you'll get to see it all with YouTube links. I'll be out at the pool it's my wife and daughter so I'll have some time to draft all of it.

Come for Chan Wai Man, stay for Chan Wai Man's hair and that ending!
Chan Wai Man is GOD!

Oh don't forget all the random full frontal nudity too!

SJRB

Gold Member
What is the GAF policy on streams?

There are some solid streams going at the moment, and the streamers have permission to stream as long as they don't do any story missions or show cutscenes, but I'm not sure if there is a GAF policy regarding livestreams.

Top Bottom