• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

UrbanRats

Yeah that GI review was discussed plenty.
From what i understood though, gunplay should be a minimal part of the combat side of the game, compared to other open world games.

M.W.

Yup. And he hasn't won yet.

"My cock is the best."

I guess he wasn't pumped for Sleeping Dogs. Because if he was a true fan:

The dev stated there's a tell before every cock fighting match, figure it out and you'll win every time.

RS4-

Ugh trying to find the so called "pattern" the devs mentioned in re: to cock fighting. Testing a few things out, if I find a solid pattern, will post.

If both chickens die, you still lose the bet

sephi22

Both Darksiders 2 and sleeping dogs (PAL) got street broken in UAE yesterday. On my way to buy DS2. Sort of want Sleeping Dogs too. Whats the media's consensus on it?

SJRB

Gold Member
I guess he wasn't pumped for Sleeping Dogs. Because if he was a true fan:

The dev stated there's a tell before every cock fighting match, figure it out and you'll win every time.

I've been tuning into this guy all weekend, he's been streaming the game pretty much non-stop for about 3 days now.

He finished the main story, all sidemissions and is currently at 98% and trying to figure out where the last 2% is at. That's why he keeps doing certain things.

Watching the Slayer feed and the pop-in is pretty noticeable, but what's really making me laugh is the running animation. Who the hell runs like that? =)

Game looks fun though and I love the sound of the punches/kicks.

brogan

Neo Member
I was certain I was going to buy this, but the more I've seen I can tell that it just isn't for me. get the feeling it's just very unpolished from what I've seen and there doesn't appear to be enough to do in the city.

Oh and the driving looks horrible. Pretty much my worst nightmare. I love GTA IV's driving though so..

Edit: Might pick it up down the road for cheap. The fighting does look fun. I love the Arkham free flow fighting and this looks similar, but just worse.

haikira

Any UK folk get their Green Man Gaming code yet? I don't have it yet, which i find strange since they've already sent my Darksiders II code, and it's released a few days after Sleeping Dogs.

RS4-

No luck with the ladies, huh?

Its bad when even games friendzone you lol

lolol. Well I suppose it was "story" related as they initiated the call, but after that, there has been nothing so far, not even a mention. Going to keep on going with the story to see what happens.

In re: to the dates
yeah I've only had one with the Emma Stone character and that was really early in the game

RS4-

Ffs, had to replay quite a few missions because the game is glitched and I can't get any story progress lol.

Reminds me of GTA when you'd get some game breaking glitch and put a stop to things. Keep extra save files just in case!

Twinduct

Sure I'll try and send you a rough draft tonight, it's funny how many HK films are on YouTube in full versions, I never expected to see Nobody's Hero on there, such an absurd gem, a mix of Taxi Driver and The Killer, and also answers the question of what an industrial power drill does to the human face!

At least your computer is working!

Send me them links too if you don't mind :p

Grisby

Ffs, had to replay quite a few missions because the game is glitched and I can't get any story progress lol.

Reminds me of GTA when you'd get some game breaking glitch and put a stop to things. Keep extra save files just in case!
Urg. What platform are you on RS4? Sorry if you've mentioned it numerous times.

edit- bonus, is the framerate alright?

bjork

I saw a trailer for this yesterday and knew nothing of it beyond the name before then. Seems pretty cool, and if a game can make me cringe from things that happen in it (the guy drilling the dude's leg in the trailer), I think that's a sign of something I'll find interesting. Wish I had the scratch to pick it up, maybe my Redbox will have it or something?

Any guess on main story game length?

Karak

Couldn't help myself and ended up taking the offer to play the PS3 version this weekend after time time with the 360. Traded off the with the store owner for a good portion. Beat the game in 29 hours and had a ton of stuff I skipped.

360 and PS3 seem to be identical though the colors did seem...more vibrant on the 360 and I couldn't seem to get them the same on the PS3 even with HDMI and both on the same system.

Well worth it.

Couldn't help myself and ended up taking the offer to play the PS3 version this weekend after time time with the 360. Traded off the with the store owner for a good portion. Beat the game in 29 hours and had a ton of stuff I skipped.

360 and PS3 seem to be identical though the colors did seem...more vibrant on the 360 and I couldn't seem to get them the same on the PS3 even with HDMI and both on the same system.

Well worth it.

If you were to rate it: Buy/Rent-borrow/Pass?

Karak

If you were to rate it: Buy/Rent-borrow/Pass?

Buy. Its at a good price in many places, it performs well, has a great story(as games go), good voice acting, does the consoles some justice and overall is a very good open world game. Only caveats I had were the fighting(not very smooth and some technical issues), the driving I was fine with but its not perfect. Little bugs here and there with 1 quest bug that never happened again. I had all those in my copy of RDR so that wasn't too bad. The only thing that bothers me about the bugs is I know that some will have none and others will have plenty. Luckily I didn't have many but that is the one true thing that scares me.

Lots of stuff to do, lots of really amazing looking areas. For 40 its not a bad price at all really.

For example I am still buying it on PC for play on Tuesday.

iNvid02

following this game has given me some martial arts craving, gonna watch this first

3IImQ.jpg

ekim

Well worth it.

Any other difference like different amounts of pedestrians/cars in a scene?
I've read you can push the number in of version with a slider - is this true?

Karak

Any other difference like different amounts of pedestrians/cars in a scene?
I've read you can push the number in of version with a slider - is this true?

There was a UI slider and a brightness slider(GFX) settings. I didn't even check for this. The game has a good number of peds. I messed more with the 360 version as I got to play that first and don't remember seeing it.
The PS3 version we just turned on and played. I am supposed to talk to him on IM tonight I will ask him to check. No real clue on that. Perhaps not on the consoles or something.

Other difs were pretty small. Seems to be very close. Textures were good on both for console)except for some street vendors items. DAMN some looked fucking terrible. I didn't think the peds looked that good. I would have liked them to have better poly counts. Some tearing in both but I didn't notice too much.
Again the color was "off" on the pS3 version. The only way I could describe it would be to say it was like the contrast was weird and couldn't get it set back to what looked as rich as the 360. Same tv too which was really odd.
A tiny bit of slowdown but honestly pretty good to go on both consoles. I don't think this is pushing either system at all. There isn't any "oh wow!" moment that makes you wonder how they did it.

Again I have to say I loved the voice acting. Main actors, street vendors. I didn't cringe more than 2-3 times which is rare for me. The best was a vendor who keeps trying to get you to buy clothes and her damn shrill voice and her odd "Invite" made me laugh every time.

iNvid02

That's one of Jackie's worst movies. Police Story 2... now that's where it's at.

for sure, but i already marathoned them not too long ago, along with most of his best flicks.

now its time for the not so great stuff - i still find it highly entertaining though

for sure, but i already marathoned them not too long ago, along with most of his best flicks.

now its time for the not so great stuff - i still find it highly entertaining though

Fair enough, I can understand that. City Hunter is a terrible movie by anybody's standards, but it's soooo freakin' batshit crazy/fun all the same.

Jackie Chan dressed up as Chun-Li is deeply unsettling however.

That's one of Jackie's worst movies. Police Story 2... now that's where it's at.
Police Story 2 is mostly a bore 1 and 3 and even First Strike are where it's at.

Rumble in the Bronx is objectively meh, but it's the first Jackie and HK movie I saw in a theater so for that reason it still occupies a fond memory for me.

Also features the Bronx Mountain range! lol

Fair enough, I can understand that. City Hunter is a terrible movie by anybody's standards, but it's soooo freakin' batshit crazy/fun all the same.

Jackie Chan dressed up as Chun-Li is deeply unsettling however.

Wong Jing baby!

Flunkie

Banned
Emailed GMG to cancel my preorder, guess its in their hands if it actually goes through or not now. Would much rather spend the money on BL2 after seeing the streams.

Top Bottom