• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Mario007

...so long as nothing goes awry, the above is true.

Epic! I've been holding off buying anything from PSN to keep the funds in wallet exactly for SD DLC. I actually can't remember when was the last time I was this excited to buy DLC for a game (well apart from the days of expansion packs on PC and the W3: The Frozen Throne)

Dries

Can anyone reccomend some good Hong Kong action films? Prefereably with a bunch of night-time neon light scenes :) I've already seen The Killer and Hard Boiled.

Also, the common framerate question. How would I do?

i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz stock
8 GB RAM
ATI 6970 2 GB
will be playing at 1920 x 1080p

Also, can you get the hi-res texture pack with the retail version?

qazqaNii

Wow, just finished it.. Wei fucking shen man, really interesting story imo, can't wait for a sequel if that is even possible with my lovely aunt Jiang.

Broken heart when
Jackie died T_T

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
And credits are rolling...

What a fantastic game! GOTY so far and a surprise of the year. One of these rare games which put me into a much better mood upon completion.

24 hours clocked.

Seronei

Can anyone reccomend some good Hong Kong action films? Prefereably with a bunch of night-time neon light scenes :) I've already seen The Killer and Hard Boiled.

i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz stock
8 GB RAM
ATI 6970 2 GB

I have the same except a 6950 and it runs like butter with everything maxed except AA and SSAO.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz stock
8 GB RAM
ATI 6970 2 GB

Try Saat Po Long with Donnie yen. Don't remember the American title, something silly like Killtown.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the only weak thing about the ending is how they handled
Pendrew. Should have left him working for Interpol. Would bode well for the sequel.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
And credits are rolling...

What a fantastic game! GOTY so far and a surprise of the year. One of these rare games which put me into a much better mood upon completion.

24 hours clocked.

Hey, so Sleeping Dogs has been nominated in the Best Action-Adventure Game short-list in the incredibly prestigious Golden Joystick awards. As you're no doubt aware, these are the annual videogame awards voted for by gamers for gamers.

Sleeping Dogs shares the category nomination with some other seriously amazing games, so please cast your vote for us only if you think we're worthy of the award. In any event, you really should be voting anyway so that the overall community can make its collective opinion known. You can cast your votes by following this link: www.goldenjoystick.com

Andrew.

Banned
Hey, so Sleeping Dogs has been nominated in the Best Action-Adventure Game short-list in the incredibly prestigious Golden Joystick awards. As you're no doubt aware, these are the annual videogame awards voted for by gamers for gamers.

Sleeping Dogs shares the category nomination with some other seriously amazing games, so please cast your vote for us only if you think we're worthy of the award. In any event, you really should be voting anyway so that the overall community can make its collective opinion known. You can cast your votes by following this link: www.goldenjoystick.com

Voted!

Mario007

Voted! Now spill the beans on that DLC ;)

Thrakier

I will vote for you when you fixed the daylight stuttering issues.

Absolutely deserving - voted!

I'm looking for a Sleeping Dogs montage set to "BATTLE WITHOUT HONOR OR HUMANITY" (the music from Kill Bill). Can anyone point me to a good one? And if there aren't any... why not? :p

DemonNite

Enjoyable Hong Kong romp Sleeping Dogs will be expanded in a slew of DLC packs due to launch in October.

There will be a free content pack for the community, as well as the game's first proper helping of extra story content.

Publisher Square Enix describes the ongoing delivery of Sleeping Dogs DLC as a "campaign" in itself, which is accurate in its almost militaristic tone. A bewildering array of player-boosting packs, extra costumes and additional in-game money are already available (although most of this is unlocked fairly easily as you progress through the game).

Coming up in the next month or so is: more street racing (and boat racing too?) in the Street Racer Pack, twenty new cop missions in the SWAT Pack, and a new ultra-powerful weapon and armour set in the Tactical Soldier Pack.

That's on top of the free Community Gift Pack (no word on what that contains) and the first story-driven game expansion, set to be unveiled fully on 14th October at New York Comic Con.

• adrenaline-fuelled street racing across the island of Hong Kong in the Street Racer Pack
  • twenty new cop missions unfold on the streets of Hong Kong via the SWAT Pack
  • the Tactical Soldier Pack empowers players with the game's most powerful weapon and armor
  • the Community Gift Pack – free, tailor-made content from United Front Games
  • Sleeping Dogs' first story-driven game extension: details to be revealed at a special panel at New York Comic Con Panel on October 14

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-21-sleeping-dogs-dlc-schedule-includes-free-content

buhdeh

Just finished this last night. Last few missions were amazing.

Thank god Square Enix saved this game. Great job UFG - represent Vancouver :)

Anson225

walked by this today... thought u guys might recognize it haha

photo.JPG

Monkeythumbz

Awesome. Ill be at NYCC.

Make sure you come on the Sunday! I'll be revealing more about our plans on the Sleeping Dogs community site next week.

Also, you can find screens and a trailer for the newly announced DLC here.

Also, just for laughs, this:
sd_comm_site_email_final.jpg

More Global stats can be found through here, if you're interested.

Monkeythumbz

Can you tell us more about the next patch?

We've a title update in the works for consoles and another PC patch in development as well, but no release date has been confirmed for either one yet I'm afraid. This is a "when it's done" situation for both just at the moment.

Thrakier

We've a title update in the works for consoles and another PC patch in development as well, but no release date has been confirmed for either one yet I'm afraid. This is a "when it's done" situation for both just at the moment.

But what do you guys want to fix? I read somewhere that daylight stuttering is probably on the fixlist?

Monkeythumbz

But what do you guys want to fix? I read somewhere that daylight stuttering is probably on the fixlist?

If I say what we *want* to fix and it turns out we can't, could you imagine the backlash? For this reason I'm personally keeping schtum until we've a confirmed patch list.

Monkeythumbz

It was probably me who said that we're "constantly working and tweaking the PC version of Sleeping Dogs and that a patch will be released soon", 'cos we are, but I don't specifically recall talking about the stuttering daylight issue. I'm not saying that we're *not* though... I'm just trying to be as vague and non-committal as possible! Managing expectations and all that.

Essentially, software development - while scientific - isn't an exact science, so it's incredibly foolhardy to publically commit to stuff before you *know* you can achieve it.

Dries

First impressions:

- Holy crap, dat atmosphere. Amazing. Neon signs at night = win.

- The rain effects at night are just breathtaking.

- Overall the graphics are jaw-dropping. Especially with the hi-res texture pack.

- The cars sound like vacuums and control really arcadey.

- Wei Shen is pretty badass.

Also, during daytime I get some kind of weird stuttering. Is there a fix for this yet?

Thrakier

It was probably me who said that we're "constantly working and tweaking the PC version of Sleeping Dogs and that a patch will be released soon", 'cos we are, but I don't specifically recall talking about the stuttering daylight issue. I'm not saying that we're *not* though... I'm just trying to be as vague and non-committal as possible! Managing expectations and all that.

Essentially, software development - while scientific - isn't an exact science, so it's incredibly foolhardy to publically commit to stuff before you *know* you can achieve it.

I hope you will because independent from the results and the quality output of the "not exact science", videogamecompanies tend to charge the same amout of money from customers.

Is anyone having problems with this game on Steam? When I try to play it off steam, i get an error message that says "this game is currently unnavailable (this game is already running). Others are having this problem with this game and there are varios fixes that have been posted on the web. I've tried these fixes and still wont work. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? I'ld love to know how this was done. Really want to play this game. thanks

Monkeythumbz

Is anyone having problems with this game on Steam? When I try to play it off steam, i get an error message that says "this game is currently unnavailable (this game is already running). Others are having this problem with this game and there are varios fixes that have been posted on the web. I've tried these fixes and still wont work. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? I'ld love to know how this was done. Really want to play this game. thanks

We're working to find a solution to the HKship.exe issue that's affecting some PC players and I hope to have an update about that to share soon.

In the meantime, some users have posted three possible solutions on the SD forums, which you can find by following the links below.

1. One
  2. Two
  3. Three
Let me know how you get on (PMing me is probably best as I'm not on GAF all the time).

Blablurn

man, i tried everything to make it run today. tried out a shitton of drivers, tried out a shitton of possibles fixes. but the gama keeps crashing and crashing on me :( its a fucking shame cause from the bits i played i already knew i would love it. no idea, man!

sometimes it's the HKship.exe thing, sometimes it just crashes directly to the desktop! for no reason. soooo frustrating.

I just finished the game. And what a great game it is! Haven't had time to play in a week or so and just marathon-ed the last part of it, still got some stuff to do and it's nice knowing that there is content on the way. Before release I was worried the story would be a bit silly, it always tend to be that way when developers says they've focused on it, but not in this case. I thought it was great and I really cared for all the characters, I mean I hated Wilson and Conroy at first but they quickly grew on me and Jackie Ma is just an awesome character.

I 1000'd this a few nights ago. So good! It's currently tied with Kid Icarus for my Game of The Year, which is saying something because Borderlands 2 is awesome.

But Sleeping Dogs is the best open world game I've ever played. I can't wait for the DLC! I spent two hours yesterday just mindlessly zipping around the city on my bike, it was great fun.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Just beat the game. Sleeper hit of the year.

Main thing for me was the well written dialogue and how everything just goes nicely with each other. Also it is the only game in a long time where I actually cared about the characters. Wish the game went more in depth with them and the core game was too short for something so good.

Hope there is a sequel on next-gen consoles and they up everything.

Also I need some high quality versions of crystal dawn and east world. My two favorite tracks in the game.

I've just unlocked the ability to get guns from police cars. What's the best way to get said guns? Should I be visiting police station car parks, or car jacking passing police cars? Or something else?

Hahaha!

Aren't they already planning on giving away a free clothing pack?

And almost no one will want to wear a UFG shirt. There are so many badass looks for your character that pimping the logo of the developer in game seems like something that will only appeal to an incredibly small number of people. It's a nice sentiment I guess, but something most gamers will realistically never use.

Still liking the facebook page though because the game is absolutely amazing

Top Bottom