• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Andrew.

Banned
No no no.... i didn´t mean that multiplayer is necessary. I meant said that in case of borderlands the 4 player co-op surely was the reason the game had such long legs.

I know a bunch of people that played Borderlands and neither of them played it for 4 player co op. I think what gave it legs was its artistic approach, timely release of DLC and the fact it was a FPS looting game that played well. The MP function was just icing on the cake for some.

Who else gets distracted by all the side quests before doing the main story line? I want to do all the side stuff before I finish the last mission. Knowing me, I would just finish the story and not bother to do the side quests if I just beat the main game first. I got ADD.

I found the game world so compelling (best open world game ever made imo) that I went back to do most of the side stuff after the credits rolled (and they rolled for about an hour...sheesh). The only reason I haven't 1000/1000ed it yet is because I let a co-worker borrow the game.

Andrew.

Banned
I still play it every night besting my mission scores and making sure no one tops them and Ive never, NEVER done this with any game before. Indeed Baconsammy, the best open world game Ive played this gen.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Plus, imagine how ballin' it would be to slow-walk down the street with your Hong Kong pimp music playing.

Wait a minute.

Oh my gosh.

Just wait.

Imagine eating pork buns while jamming out.

IT MUST BE DONE. MAKE IT SO, MONKEYTHUMBZ, MAKE IT SO.
That is a goddamn genius idea... although my opinion doesn't mean anything ;)

It's too bad they didn't release a soundtrack.. would have probably bought it by now *cough*monkeythumbz*cough*
For those who have Spotify, a user created a playlist of The Sleeping Dogs Soundtrack.
I don't know if it was already posted, but I thought it could be interesting.

Sleeping Dogs Soundtrack

Source : Sleeping Dogs Community

And you can throw weapons?! Damn this game is so good!!
Left trigger to target (optional), right trigger to throw.

Missed this earlier, it was made by Gaffer "Laserfrog" so if you really wanna ask him, go for it :) But I'm confident he'll be happy to have it!
That videos no longer online! I went to do that today! Must've missed it?

I think marketing really dropped the ball on this game
Have you seen this? http://nightmarket.sleepingdogs.net/ It's pretty rad IMHO - zilch to do with me, though.

Question: is anybody here going to NYCC?

Missing one Jade statue, and I know where it is, but I'm pretty sure I can't get back to that area unless I replay a story mission. So my question is,
what mission do you go inside Two-Chins house?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Missing one Jade statue, and I know where it is, but I'm pretty sure I can't get back to that area unless I replay a story mission. So my question is,
what mission do you go inside Two-Chins house?

You can't complete that mission without taking the statue, you sure that is the one you are missing?

You can't complete that mission without taking the statue, you sure that is the one you are missing?

Hmmm...I thought it was, but I just discovered you can use the map to highlight the collectibles, so I'm guessing what I saw was just a marker where one had been. It doesn't differentiate between ones you have grabbed and ones you haven't then eh?

Hmmm...I thought it was, but I just discovered you can use the map to highlight the collectibles, so I'm guessing what I saw was just a marker where one had been. It doesn't differentiate between ones you have grabbed and ones you haven't then eh?

It shows them all, but the one you're missing should be greyed out.

Facism

bought from shopto yesterday, arrived today, had to download about 5 gigs of shit before i could play the game.

Is good though.

I started following this game back when it was still True Crime and bought it the week after release. I finally had time yesterday to start playing it and damn if it isn't fun. I've been reading this thread on and off since I don't wanna get to spoiled but I'm really enjoying it. I played The Amazing Spider-Man right before this as well, and while that had one of the most boring open worlds I've ever came across Hong Kong is just so great. Just wanted to drop in and say that.

Oh and the game topped the sales charts in Sweden as well, not that it is a big market but still.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Just walking around listening to people is entertaining in itself. The dialogue really makes the game.
Like after I went shopping for a car and I leave. Guy says "What? Stolen cars is not good enough for you all of a sudden?" LOL.

Another example. Seeing a civilian on the ground and the reactions of people walking by.
http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/331883622

Just walking around listening to people is entertaining in itself. The dialogue really makes the game.
Like after I went shopping for a car and I leave. Guy says "What? Stolen cars is not good enough for you all of a sudden?" LOL.

Another example. Seeing a civilian on the ground and the reactions of people walking by.
http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/331883622

Haha, I've never seen that reaction. Best one I had was when I killed someone and a passerby stopped, looked concerned, then snapped a cellphone pic and walked off.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah. Dialogue is worth playing the game alone.

For the civilian mini-quests, do they appear by themselves or something? Do I have to keep doing main ones for it to appear? I want to get my face level up.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
boooo, London gets nothing like this :( well except the Eurogamer Expo and even then nothing gets revealed here.
I'll be at EG Expo... I think. You going? I'll bring some swag with me, if I can.

Monkey. I'm foaming at the mouth for singleplayer DLC. No races. Help me please.
It's all still being built - we'll have some concrete announcements to make about that soon, but the packs aren't just days away or anything like that.

Sotha Sil

Well, just finished it and can't wait for the sequel. Didn't give a damn about the story, but SD's Hong Kong and the arcadey gameplay were just excellent. Pure fun, no filler. Best GTA-like in ages.

Kjellson

I don't get it. I have purchased all the cars and bikes in the game and got the Auto Enthusiast trophy but there are still three races left. Anybody knows how to get them?

OG Kush

Anyway to store cars I find on the streets? Or Do I have to buy them?
And GODDAMN this game is beautiful on PC. How is it on consoles?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Who else gets distracted by all the side quests before doing the main story line? I want to do all the side stuff before I finish the last mission. Knowing me, I would just finish the story and not bother to do the side quests if I just beat the main game first. I got ADD.

same here :(

I am a true financial dope in every sense of the word, because I just got back from Best Buy where I purchased the undoubtedly amazing Sleeping Dogs. This wouldn't be as huge of a deal, except I'm buying Borderlands 2 on launch day and that will suck up all of my time for a good solid month.

I'm sure I can breeze through this game in a few days though, because I love well-done open world action titles and I have a knack for playing long marathon sessions.

Anyway, I'm getting all of my work done for the day at the moment (ya know, except for posting on GAF right now), and then I'll have all night tonight and all day tomorrow to kick some ass, Hong Kong style.

Andrew.

Banned
Thanks. Just got 'em.

Anyway, there is a trophy where you have to kill someone with a fish to get. How does one find a fish and kill someone with it?

In the missions "Club Bam Bam" and "Final Kill".

In Bam Bam, use an enviro kill with someone and the large aquarium. It'll burst and fish will be flopping on the ground. You can pick one up and use it to beat someone. In "Final Kill", you're in a fish market and while I didn't get the trophy there, I'm pretty sure my buddy did.

edit: beaten. damn.

Kjellson

For me it was the fight in the club, throw someone into the fish tank and pick up the fish.

In the missions "Club Bam Bam" and "Final Kill".

In Bam Bam, use an enviro kill with someone and the large aquarium. It'll burst and fish will be flopping on the ground. You can pick one up and use it to beat someone. In "Final Kill", you're in a fish market and while I didn't get the trophy there, I'm pretty sure my buddy did.

edit: beaten. damn.
Thanks!! Just got it.

Kjellson

I just finished the game but I have one more level to go in the Triad bar. Anyone got some good tips where you can gain som XP quick?

OG Kush

That Softly radio is amazing. Love the atmosphere, so glad I didn't read any previews/reviews on this game. Still only in the first area, haven't explored out yet. I'm going to wait till missions start expanding there.
and for PC users, density settings definietly need to be extreme (or whatever the highest option is). Really gives it that more Hong Kong feeling, more dense etc.

And for people who know Hong Kong, how accurate is it?

pikablu

These Fight Clubs are too damn hard from me. I just suckkkk. Did finally get the achievement for unlocking all cars though so I guess tonight playing wasn't a complete waste.

ManeKast

So how demanding, hardware wise, is the PC version?

I wanna run it on my notebook @ 720p with better than console performance. Otherwise, get it on console.

Have Asus G73SW (2.2ghz i7 mobile sandy bridge + 1.5gb Gefore 460m + 8gb RAM).

M.W.

Finally got all the collectibles minus the last statue (which I assume comes from a mission). Now time to finish the last 7 or so missions. So fun.

I wanna run it on my notebook @ 720p with better than console performance. Otherwise, get it on console.

At 720p it should be easy to get it looking and performing better. You don't have a top of the line GPU, but most of mid-range GPUs and above today can eat a game at 720p for breakfast and have it be better than on consoles in both aspects.

I have a similar laptop to yours - you'll be fine - probably 1080p with low SSAO low shadows, low population setting for 30-40 FPS. You could also just run it at 900p (1600x900) if really needed.

Top Bottom