• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Grumbul

Can anyone tell me where i can find the chicken van? I am on that stage of the police mission but its not marked in my map or at least i can't see it.

Wierd, I've just done that and it was right on the road at the mission start point.

Game is great so far and the combat is tons of fun. Not even picked up a gun yet.

Vlodril

Wierd, I've just done that and it was right on the road at the mission start point.

Game is great so far and the combat is tons of fun. Not even picked up a gun yet.

yes but i dont see a mission start point on the map. I have a green one a yellow one (high speed chase) and a bunch of blue ones that are all drug busts.

SJRB

Gold Member
Hold down Left trigger while moving.

Thanks a million.

Performance-wise I had to turn shadows off to get decent framerates, but it pretty much kills the atmosphere of the city. Hell there are no shadows whatsoever, not even from the sun or when standing under lights. I don't understand why I can't deactivate anti aliasing at all, I'm sure that would boost my performance greatly.

I'll go look up some gameplay videos of the PS3 version. The atmosphere in this game is way, way too good to get butchered like this.

GlamFM

Banned
Turned on my XBOX and all my progress is lost.

Happened to anyone else?

Think I´m gonna sell the game right now.

Pollux

Just finished the main story...the game was great. By the time the story ended I kinda wished that there was more haha

Vlodril

So there is no marker for the chicken van so i guess its bugged. I am running around town trying to find it but i don't see it anywhere. So i either have not to do any cop missions or start the game nearly from the beginning. Disappointed.

bitoriginal

So there is no marker for the chicken van so i guess its bugged. I am running around town trying to find it but i don't see it anywhere. So i either have not to do any cop missions or start the game nearly from the beginning. Disappointed.

Have you tried dying and seeing where it restarts you?

Vlodril

Have you tried dying and seeing where it restarts you?

Tried it nothing. Tried a save i had that went back a couple of hours nothing. I only have one other save thats from almost the beginning of the game. Good thing is i started today bad news is wasted 5 hours or so..

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The game looks pretty good on any system.

The lighting in particular. For an open world game, I definitely would say it's upper tier in terms of looks, but not the absolute best.

Truant

Gaf, is it good? Darksiders is great, but I can only play it for an hour before I get fatigued from that style of game. I need some light driving/action/open worldy fun.

Seriously considering buying it now.

kiryogi

Banned
I love some of the random crap that can happen....it's one of the things I love about open world games:

There are these side missions where you have to tap into these cameras to catch criminals slinging drugs but you have to beat up the gang dudes that are around the panel you need to get to in order to hack into the camera.

These are spread out throughout the city so it can take a few mins to drive to one of them. So I get one of my cars from my garage and make the trek to one of them.

There were 10 guys there or so and I beat the shit out of 6-7 of them and the other 3-4 got scared and started running away....two of them hopped into my car and took off, leaving me with no ride....as I saw them drive off in my car, it started pouring rain....it was pretty funny.

:p

Also, nobody photo bombs Wei's photos....NOBODY.

I love the fact that citizen arrests still exist in some form here. After you do a drug bust, you can go back to a camera and totally get an innocent arrested. The reactions from the cops were funny. . . They'd be all like "wow, we never thought to pick that one" or "why did we arrest them? They seem innocent" (something like that). Its unfortunate tho I haven't seen any ladies on the camera for a police takedown. . .

(It was hilarious nailing old innocent ladies with drug or sex toy allegations in the True Crime games, reactions were often hilarious)

golem

Cant cancel or restart the mission?

bitoriginal

Gaf, is it good? Darksiders is great, but I can only play it for an hour before I get fatigued from that style of game. I need some light driving/action/open worldy fun.

It's definitely worth it in my opinion. It's very ambitious and for the most part is pretty successful. Decent story, vibrant interesting world, good melee and driving mechanics and fairly standard gunplay. If you're a GTA fan, I'd say get it now.

Truant

It's definitely worth it in my opinion. It's very ambitious and for the most part is pretty successful. Decent story, vibrant interesting world, good melee and driving mechanics and fairly standard gunplay. If you're a GTA fan, I'd say get it now.

Alright, it's done. How do I get the texture pack? I did the VPN trick for unlocking the game, but the texture pack isn't showing up anywhere. Is there an alternate download?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

The lighting in particular. For an open world game, I definitely would say it's upper tier in terms of looks, but not the absolute best.
I was shocked by how much better the character models are in Sleeping Dogs compared to GTA and Saints Row, or even Max Payne 3. Particularly the faces.

Vlodril

In the ESC menu there should be a Cancel Mission or Restart from Checkpoint option

In the Social Menu you can access missions youve completed to replay them (this probably wont help you though)

Maybe i can replay the second part of the mission. good advice thank you. Unfortunately both restart checkpoint and mission are greyed out. Also can't replay the mission (because its a side mission?). I guess ill just have to bite the bullet and start again.

I was shocked by how much better the character models are in Sleeping Dogs compared to GTA and Saints Row, or even Max Payne 3. Particularly the faces.

Saints Row The Third character design pretends to be more cartoony and I think it suits a lot the game.
I hope they stay that way for the next also, and never try to do what the did with SR and SR2 character models again.

What do you find the best looking open world game on console? Red Dead Redemption? I hope you don't say GTA IV because that game is not so pretty anymore (on console).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What do you find the best looking open world game on console? Red Dead Redemption? I hope you don't say GTA IV because that game is not so pretty anymore (on console).

Red Dead or Mafia 2. Just Cause 2 looks great too, but it's such a boring setting to me that I'm biased against it.

lol i finally did it. i finally hit the race girl at the start

LiK

HAHAHAHA, just did a sidequest where I had to take a photo of a sunset. A NPC decided to pose in front of my camera cuz he was in the frame and Wei told him to get out and he said he couldn't help it. Then the game told me to beat up the drunk.

I laughed so hard at what happened...LOL

AcridMeat

Banned
HAHAHAHA, just did a sidequest where I had to take a photo of a sunset. A NPC decided to pose in front of my camera cuz he was in the frame and Wei told him to get out and he said he couldn't help it. Then the game told me to beat up the drunk.

Oh man, I did that mission but just cropped him out myself. CURSE MY PHOTOGRAPHER W(EI)AYS

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

That was hilarious, the pose he did was funny too

dreamfall

Wow! Street Races really improve your Face meter like whoa! And nothing beats Class A bike races against the pink skies and glimmering neons of Hong Kong. This game is so wonderful- 14 hours in, and not stopping anytime soon. I haven't even done much of the story, just exploring and doing side stuff. So goood.

ekim

Played my first hour now until you first get to wake up in your apartment. Just drove a little bit - the fov seems a little small imho plus there is too much blur for distant objects. :(

I play on Xbox

Derrick01

Banned

It's solid. From a mission standpoint I just made it to the 2nd section of the city. Up to the point I'm at I don't think there's very much content though. A lot of collectibles to collect but not a ton to spend a lot of time to actually do. I'm kind of bored with the combat, I'm not learning new moves at a fast enough rate to keep me interested. I can only press X so many times before I get bored.

Yopis

Tried it last night at a friends. Dont like the driving at all. Seems like mario cart where the car never moves just the screen around it. Loved gta driving.....game is awesome though gonna grab it on my day off tomorrow.

B-Dex

It's solid. From a mission standpoint I just made it to the 2nd section of the city. Up to the point I'm at I don't think there's very much content though. A lot of collectibles to collect but not a ton to spend a lot of time to actually do. I'm kind of bored with the combat, I'm not learning new moves at a fast enough rate to keep me interested. I can only press X so many times before I get bored.

You can do drug busts, street racing, favours, chop shop, debt collection, finding collectibles, karaoke, gambling.... But there is nothing to do?

Derrick01

Banned
You can do drug busts, street racing, favours, chop shop, debt collection, finding collectibles, karaoke, gambling.... But there is nothing to do?

I'm already fed up with the drug busts and I don't think I've cleared even half of them. There's too many and it's the same thing with the same minigame every time. Karaoke is nice but the minigame isn't even as hard or fleshed out as Yakuza 4's (sorry but I've just put 45-50 hours into that before this came out so it's all fresh in my head that's why I keep bringing it up).

Haven't found gambling or chop shop stuff yet. Same with debt collecting. Is it the same thing as the very early game mission? Because that was pretty boring. Walk up to a vendor and beat up a couple of guys.

Salsa

c'mon, it's pretty limited and repetitive. They've even talked about choosing to make a good story and focus on the linear missions rather than making the open world a playground

Top Bottom