• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
axiomnightmare said:
I don't know, that picture on the Best Buy ad looks fake. It looks like one of the pictures that was posted in this topic.
It is...... >_>

noah111

Still Alive
MadOdorMachine said:
Is this old?

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/playstation-3-slim-spotted-in-upcoming-best-buy-ads/6924

Best Buy add claims:

299.98 PS3 slim
Full Backwards Compatability
160GB HDD
4 USB ports
All in one memory card reader
September release - Maybe 9/8?
Limited Quantaties - No Reservations?
Dude... duuuuuude. What have you done.

0) Yes it's fuckin old.
A) It's .99 not .98
B) It's 120GB not 160GB
C) It's 2 USB ports not 4.
D) It's 1/9/09 not 8th.
E) Best Buy ad is fake, uses cakefoo's concept image.
F) K-mart ad is more fake, fellow gaffer whipped it up..
G) It was all posted like a dozen pages ago.
H) You fail.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Sentry said:
Dude... duuuuuude. What have you done.

0) Yes it's fuckin old.
A) It's .99 not .98
B) It's 120GB not 160GB
C) It's 2 USB ports not 4.
D) It's 1/9/09 not 8th.
E) Best Buy ad is fake, uses cakefoo's concept image.
F) K-mart ad is more fake, fellow gaffer whipped it up..
G) It was all posted like a dozen pages ago.
H) You fail.
Sorry dude, I haven't been following the thread!!! I laughed my ass off when I saw someone on here made the adds though.

Edit - There are over 6200 posts in this thread. Crazy.

scotcheggz

Ettenra said:
Fantastic. I'll be sure and leave both this thread and that liveblog up that day. It's gonna be like Christmas or something.

34r8tc2.jpg

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think if it's 299 going to sell quite a bit, almost like a relaunch of the console, but it won't lose its steam especially with all the games. Like I've said before, sony has had its chances very similar to this to really get back in the game, but it never happens.

This is all of course if it's the slim. There will be a spike at 299, but bringing it up to 399, especially if the 360 elite is 299, then there will be a problem.

Carl

Ettenra said:
Fantastic. I'll be sure and leave both this thread and that liveblog up that day. It's gonna be like Christmas or something.

I'm going to be out all day with my family. Hoping i can find an excuse to be home by conference time :D

Oh and Gaming cons >> Christmas

noah111

Still Alive
MadOdorMachine said:
Sorry dude, I haven't been following the thread!!! I laughed my ass off when I saw someone on here made the adds though.

Edit - There are over 6200 posts in this thread. Crazy.
:lol I know what you mean bro, before jumping on gaf this morning I checked my usual feeds to see "PS3 slim kmart ad", got all excited thinking it could be legit, next thing I know I see chubigans was behind it. :lol was like 'FUUUUU-'!!

The last dozen pages have been pure hilarity though, you should catch up just for kicks. :D

Been following it since the very beginning lol. The first 10 pages or so were awesome. It goes from sure fire fake, to maybe not maybe yes, to hmmm looks kinda real, to confirmed, to no way thats real you people that think it is are idiots, and back to confirmed, and finally, to hilarity.

zero2000

Banned
Sentry said:
:lol I know what you mean bro, before jumping on gaf this morning I checked my usual feeds to see "PS3 slim kmart ad", got all excited thinking it could be legit, next thing I know I see chubigans was behind it. :lol was like 'FUUUUU-'!!

The last dozen pages have been pure hilarity though, you should catch up just for kicks. :D

Whenever I see anything about the PS3 Slim, I jump on Gaf and Ctrl-F mutliple pages to see if it came from one of the users here, lol.

noah111

Still Alive
pseudocaesar said:
Been following it since the very beginning lol. The first 10 pages or so were awesome. It goes from sure fire fake, to maybe not maybe yes, to hmmm looks kinda real, to confirmed, to no way thats real you people that think it is are idiots, and back to confirmed, and finally, to hilarity.
Well, to be totally fair the OP only posted this image at first (and a link to the forum it was posted on);

PS3_Slim_5.jpg

I also thought it is probably a fake when I saw that for the first time, most people ddidn't even bother to click the link. Once I saw the other photos though, I knew there was at least a 70% chance of it being real, just too many photos and evidence that it's legit for it to be fake. Especially since it's not like some photo of a PS3 next to their TV, where it can obviously be a fake.

Plus that is the general process of how GAF works afterall (predictable). :lol

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
If they add back the PS2 compatibilty and it's not a software thing my PS3 is getting thrown through the window of the local Sony shop with a fuck you note attached it.

How much would it realistically add to the cost of the ps3 to just put in the darn ps2 chip? It doesn't look like full software emulation is even possible. And even if Sony were able to pull it off somehow, you know the compatibility would be all over the place. It's going to be really pathetic several years from now when the only way to reliably play a ps2 game will still be through a ps2.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
H_Prestige said:
How much would it realistically add to the cost of the ps3 to just put in the darn ps2 chip? It doesn't look like full software emulation is even possible. And even if Sony were able to pull it off somehow, you know the compatibility would be all over the place. It's going to be really pathetic several years from now when the only way to reliably play a ps2 game will still be through a ps2.

Full software emulation is entirely possible

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
H_Prestige said:
Would the compatibility be worth talking about? I wouldn't care for something like the crappy xbox emulation.

your talking about Sony

they managed to make near perfect PSX emulation on a fucking psp, when the bedroom emulation authors could barely get 15fps out of their emulators (in a similar timeframe)

noah111

Still Alive
dogmaan said:
Full software emulation is entirely possible
Indeed. IF BC is coming this year it won't be hardware exclusive to the slim, that's not to say Sony won't make it a slim-only thing to boost sales, but it's doubtful it will be via specific hardware. If BC is coming it will be through software, thus a FW update.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Sentry said:
Indeed. IF BC is coming this year it won't be hardware exclusive to the slim, that's not to say Sony won't make it a slim-only thing to boost sales, but it's doubtful it will be via specific hardware. If BC is coming it will be through software, thus a FW update.

i agree, although it's a 50/50 chance it will be full emulation or PS Store specific titles

noah111

Still Alive
dogmaan said:
i agree, although it's a 50/50 chance it will be full emulation or PS Store specific titles
True, if we don't get BC then we will definitely have the ability to DL PS2 games via PSN, sooner or later. I'm still hopeful that it can be done with dscs as well, perhaps all the PS2 downloadable titles in the store would be BC via disc as well, since we have seen they can do that with SingStar IIRC).

Would really suck though since I would have to pay to play PS2 titles, my PS3 library would be pointless.. it would be so awesome if they did something like whatever is planned with the PSPgo and old UMDs.

msdstc said:
I think if it's 299 going to sell quite a bit, almost like a relaunch of the console, but it won't lose its steam especially with all the games. Like I've said before, sony has had its chances very similar to this to really get back in the game, but it never happens.

This is all of course if it's the slim. There will be a spike at 299, but bringing it up to 399, especially if the 360 elite is 299, then there will be a problem.

Yeah it feels as if Sony is definitely at a crossroads now with the PS3. With the Slim 299 release we'll see if those fabled fence sitters actually exist in any great numbers. Even if the initial numbers aren't massive, I think the sales will obviously be better over the longer term with all the anticipated releases coming up, into next year.

Or, did Sony wait too long to drop the price and people have generally lost interest? It could be that the 360 has entrenched itself too strongly, especially in America where it has become more a part of American culture, like the PS2.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
The-Warning said:
Yeah it feels as if Sony is definitely at a crossroads now with the PS3. With the Slim 299 release we'll see if those fabled fence sitters actually exist in any great numbers. Even if the initial numbers aren't massive, I think the sales will obviously be better over the longer term with all the anticipated releases coming up, into next year.

Or, did Sony wait too long to drop the price and people have generally lost interest? It could be that the 360 has entrenched itself too strongly, especially in America where it has become more a part of American culture, like the PS2.

It would be a megaton if fake/real jaffe was invoking reverse psychology with us on Twitter, and the new ps3 is actually $199, that would shake things up

....but thats not what's going to happen

spwolf

VOOK said:
If they add back the PS2 compatibilty and it's not a software thing my PS3 is getting thrown through the window of the local Sony shop with a fuck you note attached it.

now i kind of want hardware emulation :-(. Am I eveil?

Are you going to youtube it?

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
spwolf said:
now i kind of want hardware emulation :-(. Am I eveil?

Are you going to youtube it?

Hardware Emulation........erm that's almost an oxymoron if I didn't know it was done often with FPGA's.

but seriously there is not enough bandwidth in usb2.0 to emulate a SNES let alone a PS2

Sentry said:
True, if we don't get BC then we will definitely have the ability to DL PS2 games via PSN, sooner or later. I'm still hopeful that it can be done with dscs as well, perhaps all the PS2 downloadable titles in the store would be BC via disc as well, since we have seen they can do that with SingStar IIRC).

Would really suck though since I would have to pay to play PS2 titles, my PS3 library would be pointless.. it would be so awesome if they did something like whatever is planned with the PSPgo and old UMDs.

If there is a broad emulation, either hardware or software, you would obviously be able to play your ps2 discs. Just like with ps1 emulation. Sony wouldn't just limit you to ps2 games via the ps store. It's not like classic games are big sellers.

It would be a megaton if fake/real jaffe was invoking reverse psychology with us on Twitter, and the new ps3 is actually $199, that would shake things up

....but thats not what's going to happen

That would truly be a game changer.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
H_Prestige said:
If there is a broad emulation, either hardware or software, you would obviously be able to play your ps2 discs. Just like with ps1 emulation. Sony wouldn't just limit you to ps2 games via the ps store. It's not like classic games are big sellers.

If i was sony, i would not copy Nintendo's virtual console

i think it would be more advantageous to copy steam, Sony should put as many titles as possible on the PSN store at launch of the ps2 classic service, and charge around $15-20 a game

then each week have 1-2 games on special at around $5-10 and advertise them on the front page of psn store a la Steam

at least then we wouldn't have the slow and boring trickle of shit that is the virtual console

gcubed

The-Warning said:

my vote is they blew their shot and people generally lost interest. Look at the PSP, its still wallowing in nothingness everywhere except for Japan. If the PS3 picked up steam and started consistently selling well it would be the first time that happened in the US (i believe)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Stumpokapow said:
There's a Canadian Sony rep conference call by the end of the week / early next week to discuss info on major new product launch. Such conferences are only called when there's a major launch and they can't just distribute the information normally.

Finally, some North American news.

gcubed said:
my vote is they blew their shot and people generally lost interest. Look at the PSP, its still wallowing in nothingness everywhere except for Japan. If the PS3 picked up steam and started consistently selling well it would be the first time that happened in the US (i believe)

Almost NONE of their best selling franchises from the ps2 have hit excluding GTA. FF13, GT5, GOW3 come to mind right off the bat.

Truespeed

We now have people swallowing the regurgitation of this thread. The price is going to be $299 and those Chinese factory pictures were the real deal. And those fake ads are just pathetic - as if they would have official images before the launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom