• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
derder said:
What should I do with my broken 20gig ps3? It doesn't read discs anymore and I would love to get me one of deez.

Do you smoke? If so your eye might be dirty. This happened to mine when I lived with my parents, the eye was so dirty that when we used a regular white cotton swab it turned brown!

jakncoke said:
Do you smoke? If so your eye might be dirty. This happened to mine when I lived with my parents, the eye was so dirty that when we used a regular white cotton swab it turned brown!

:lol

Cancer inbound.

DiGi-C

Banned
On the BC subject, what if they don't do software BC but do what they've done with the PS1 games and have them as downloads, afterall now theres no new games etc coming out the only places to make money from such a thing would be used game sellers

onken

DiGi-C said:
On the BC subject, what if they don't do software BC but do what they've done with the PS1 games and have them as downloads, afterall now theres no new games etc coming out the only places to make money from such a thing would be used game sellers

This has been discussed already, and is most likely what will happen imo.

Gravijah

DiGi-C said:

Maybe I'm not getting your point, but all PS1 games are already backwards compatible, so they'd have to make all the PS2 games BC too... Unless they went on a per game basis? That would be stupid, imho.

spwolf

Zhuk said:
All I know is that whoever made it had access to manufacturing facilities that can create mould injected plastic. It's also very interesting that while they took pictures of the plastics the components were not anywhere to be seen. Furthermore, I am still not sold on the font style on the Slim, it just doesn't make sense for Sony to use that font style when they have consistently used another in their advertising. Finally seeing the overall aesthetics of the device, I don't think it is up to Sony's usual standard in console design.

We won't really know until Cologne either way, but I still think it is plausible that this is not a Sony PS3 slim.

thats gonna be hard anyway :lol

onken said:
This has been discussed already, and is most likely what will happen imo.

But the PS1 games are simply isos of the original games. The PS3 and PSP are able to play them because they emulate it. So there is a PSX BC, and the proof is that a custom firmware PSP can play any PS1 game.

So, even if they want to sell PS2 games through the store, they need software PS2 BC. Another option, of course, is porting the games to PS3 API, but that would need some effort from the original developers of the game (and going through all the testing procedure), and not so many companies would spend time and resources in this.

noah111

Still Alive
Boy are some of the people at MS defensive or what;

“We are in a good place in terms of the value we offer,” the Xbox EMEA VP told MCV.

“We have a plan and a rhythm we are marching to – and we won’t be knocked off that cadence in terms of what the opposition might do.”

It doesn't help that the site says "Sony is preparing to unveil its brand new PS3 Slim next Tuesday at the Gamescom show in Germany" as if it is a confirmed fact. :lol

Even MS are commenting on their competitions rumors and speculations, come on Sony!!

onken

DangerousDave said:
But the PS1 games are simply isos of the original games. The PS3 and PSP are able to play them because they emulate it. So there is a PSX BC, and the proof is that a custom firmware PSP can play any PS1 game.

So, even if they want to sell PS2 games through the store, they need software PS2 BC. Another option, of course, is porting the games to PS3 API, but that would need some effort from the original developers of the game (and going through all the testing procedure), and not so many companies would spend time and resources in this.

Ye gads man, read the thread. Sony have submitted patents for emulating the PS2 CPU & GPU on Cell/RSX. A software emulator is in the works, whether it sees the light of day or not remains to be seen.

Yeah, I knew, but then, if they emulate it by software, why don't allow the PS3 to read physical PS2 games, even if they offer them in the PSN? Sony is still gaining money for each PS2 game sold, and disc-based BC compatibility will give more value to the console.

One think that I wonder is why Konami announced, one week ago, that they will relaunch a lot of PS2 games (Zone of Ender 2, MGS2 and 3, probably Silent Hill series) next month, in UK. It has sense 2 years ago, when the PS2 sold more units, and the PS3 was still BC, but now?

DangerousDave said:
Yeah, I knew, but then, if they emulate it by software, why don't allow the PS3 to read physical PS2 games, even if they offer them in the PSN? Sony is still gaining money for each PS2 game sold, and disc-based BC compatibility will give more value to the console.
Emulation is never perfect, releasing emulated games that they know would work on PSN would be much easier than having people constantly call their technical support regarding their disc-based games having problems.

Of course, just by proclaiming BC with PS2 would get them a lot of good publicity too, so I think it depends on what Sony wants to do.

Ettie

Gravijah said:
Maybe I'm not getting your point, but all PS1 games are already backwards compatible, so they'd have to make all the PS2 games BC too... Unless they went on a per game basis? That would be stupid, imho.

I think, his point is that the tech will be there, but they're gonna make you pay again. I think?

I...wouldn't be on board with that. Not even a smidgen.

EDIT: I'll be in the market for a well kept OG bc model if the new solution is not to let the PS3 read physical media but instead force PSN downloads.

offshore

and we won’t be knocked off that cadence in terms of what the opposition might do.”

The irony here is that they are....they're responding to the slim and the impending price cut. And you can guarantee that in the next few months we'll see a 360 slim.

offshore said:
The irony here is that they are....they're responding to the slim and the impending price cut. And you can guarantee that in the next few months we'll see a 360 slim.

We all know what happened the last time they rushed a piece of hardware to market. I think MS is going to go into cruise control until Natal.

Valkyr Junkie said:
We all know what happened the last time they rushed a piece of hardware to market. I think MS is going to go into cruise control until Natal.

Yeah, I dont see a 360 slim until next holiday season if at all.

Lyonaz

DangerousDave said:

You make no sense man. :p

I think you misunderstand the concept of BC by software, it's not like it can only read software that are downloaded on your harddrive.
BC software simply means the PS3 is emulating the PS2 by software using the Cell and RSX, the old BC PS3 has either both the Emotion Engine PS2 chip and Graphic Synthesizer or just the GS and the EE chip emulated by software. Since the new PS3's don't have those it can't do PS2 BC, it can only read PS2 games if it was emulated completely by software. It's not emulating PS2 games but rather the GS and EE of the PS2 to you know read and play PS2 games.

onken

DangerousDave said:

Because they know that they can put MGS3 on the store at 15- 20$ a pop and even people that have the disc will buy it because of the upscaling/smoothing/wireless controllers/disc-free convinience.

onken said:
Because they know that they can put MGS3 on the store at 15- 20$ a pop and even people that have the disc will buy it because of the upscaling/smoothing/wireless controllers/disc-free convinience.
What makes you think they would do that? They haven't restricted PS1 emulation to PSN titles only.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
offshore said:
Yes because MSFT has been known to do these kinda of things. Let them worry about not letting systems break before a HW redesign.

Massa

derder said:
What should I do with my broken 20gig ps3? It doesn't read discs anymore and I would love to get me one of deez.

Just replace the BD laser with a new one. You can get one on eBay for about $60, and there are several tutorials online showing you how to do it.

offshore

Valkyr Junkie said:
We all know what happened the last time they rushed a piece of hardware to market.

I don't think they'll need to rush a redesign...the 360 will be using 45nm chips soon, so it will probably be a lot easier to scale the hardware down.

iceatcs

Sentry said:
I can see the suicides already.
Pre-warmup
bunny-suicides.gif

CrayzeeCarl said:
No it isn't

CrayzeeCarl said:

"Over at my local GameStop (where I work), our Sony rep stopped in earlier today to update the PlayStation 3 kiosks and check in with us. I decided to ask him about all the rumors going around on the PlayStation 3 slim. When I asked him about whether or not is coming he told me this"

Yeah that sounds really reliable

offshore said:

Thats a very evident strategy from Microsoft thats been pretty goddamn clear since the start of the generation.

Even how they moved Halo Wars around Killzone 2 to steal the limelight, is a prime example of it.

And now they're making a pre-emptive move by cutting the pricetag on their console, comments like that really bring them out as awful hypocrites.

But Im mostly curious HOW they knew Sony was going to cut the price. Hate to make conspiracy theories but there could be a chance for industrial espionage here.

highluxury said:
But Im mostly curious HOW they knew Sony was going to cut the price. Hate to make conspiracy theories but there could be a chance for industrial espionage here.
Or they're just hedging their bets. I'd say their odds are pretty good.

androvsky

highluxury said:
Thats a very evident strategy from Microsoft thats been pretty goddamn clear since the start of the generation.

Even how they moved Halo Wars around Killzone 2 to steal the limelight,

And now they're making a pre-emptive move by cutting the pricetag on their console, comments like that really bring them out as awful hypocrites.

Seriously, is there anyone in the last month that didn't know Sony was planning to cut the price around early fall?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
highluxury said:

Even how they moved Halo Wars around Killzone 2 to steal the limelight,

Ah, come on, everyone tuned in for the last couple of months saw this coming.

And MS is probably even more tuned in than us, in terms of what they pick up from retail contacts etc. All these companies have a good idea what the other is up to most of the time.

noah111

Still Alive
highluxury said:

Even how they moved Halo Wars around Killzone 2 to steal the limelight, is a prime example of it.

It's not that hard to see it coming brother, let alone the fact that they are a huge company with many strings. If a normal forum gaffer gamer can see it coming a mile away with simple facts and common sense, then im sure MS would have even more to go on.

But I agree, their strategy is quite clear this gen. I'm surprised that not many caught on to how HWs release date kept shifting around along with KZ2s, was pretty odd at first but then it become obvious.. not sure if I like that kinda shit either, but hey it's serious business right?

By the way, I think we should make a bet on here, does the majority think (not hope!) the slim will be in the ballpark of $400 or $300 (USD)? Just curious.. :D

SoccerGoaliePro said:
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac84/teva-/357ioau.jpg[IMG]
:D[/QUOTE]
Nice, same thing was happening here in the states but with 2-3 games, DS3, and PS3 at but at $400.. Where is that btw?

Sentry said:
It's not that hard to see it coming brother, let alone the fact that they are a huge company with many strings. If a normal forum gaffer gamer can see it coming a mile away with simple facts and common sense, then im sure MS would have even more to go on.

But I agree, their strategy is quite clear this gen. I'm surprised that not many caught on to how HWs release date kept shifting around along with KZ2s, was pretty odd at first but then it become obvious.. not sure if I like that kinda shit either, but hey it's serious business right?

By the way, I think we should make a bet on here, does the majority think (not hope!) the slim will be in the ballpark of $400 or $300 (USD)? Just curious.. :D

What exactly does halo wars have to do with kz2? They're not even on the same system :lol

I think alot of you are forgetting that the new SKU & price cut info was (and still is untill its officially announced) rumorage. Would a company like Microsoft really pull the trigger just on rumor?

Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom