• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

sinnergy said:
Well it looks like the old models will be sold for 299, so I can't really believe SLIM is gonna be 299, it will be > 299 even perhaps the old 399 price tag.

it might even be 599.... BELIEVE!

Loudninja

sinnergy said:
Well it looks like the old models will be sold for 299, so I can't really believe SLIM is gonna be 299, it will be > 299 even perhaps the old 399 price tag.

The price you seen right now is not an official price drop,Sony would have said something by now.They are selling at that price right now.

Sascha23

Banned
sinnergy said:

But, they have stopped orders on the old models so they wouldn't have that many to sell at $299 if they apply it to just those models.

I think it's fair to assume that the new models will be cheaper than the current price point. Either way, it seems likely that there will probably be a model of PS3 available for $299 (that is not discontinued) after September 1st.

Man, I just want GamesCom to happen already.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I hate to be the negative one, but like I said sony has just not gotten it right once this gen. This is one of their final chances if not the last chance to get back in it, and now I will not be surprised one bit if its 449.99 for the slim. Why would the old fat model be more than the new "sleek" model? Look at the psp go if you think it's crazy to think that. 249.99 sounds like suicide on sony's part, but they did it anyway.

msdstc said:
Why would the old fat model be more than the new "sleek" model? Look at the psp go if you think it's crazy to think that. 249.99 sounds like suicide on sony's part, but they did it anyway.

Except that the old PS3 will disappear soon because it's no longer manufactured. You can't compare that situation to the PSP, where both models will coexist. The PS3 slim will be 299.

msdstc said:
I hate to be the negative one, but like I said sony has just not gotten it right once this gen. This is one of their final chances if not the last chance to get back in it, and now I will not be surprised one bit if its 449.99 for the slim. Why would the old fat model be more than the new "sleek" model? Look at the psp go if you think it's crazy to think that. 249.99 sounds like suicide on sony's part, but they did it anyway.

A) The PSP Go is priced as it is so that retailers can get a large cut of the sales of each unit, in comparison to the almost nothing they get for selling normal video game handhelds and consoles. If the PSP Go was priced in a similar manner, nobody would carry them period.

B) Whenever the Slim comes out, that is what the PS3 will be; the old units will essentially be disowned. Retailers that actually have stock (which is already very low in the large scheme of things) will do what they want with them. Sony will keep some for warranty replacement purposes, and liquidate the rest.

Grooski

Banned
You guys are batshit fucking insane if you think Slim launches at a higher price? Isn't the point of the slim in any of the generations is to reduce costs to enable price competition?

Although the meltdowns would be epic. Where's my marshmallows dammit??

Tom Penny

sinnergy said:

It will be $399 for the slim. It's a lock.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Grooski said:
You guys are batshit fucking insane if you think Slim launches at a higher price? Isn't the point of the slim in any of the generations is to reduce costs to enable price competition?

I think what people are saying is it might be $399 to help clear the old PS3 stock at $299

Nobody is going to buy a fat PS3 for $299 when the Slim is also $299 and it's been proven that early adopters are idiots with a lot of money so $399 is a very real possibility.

Maybe get it down to $299 for Christmas or something.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
D4Danger said:
I think what people are saying is it might be $399 to help clear the old PS3 stock at $299

Nobody is going to buy a fat PS3 for $299 when the Slim is also $299 and it's been proven that early adopters are idiots with a lot of money so $399 is a very real possibility.

Maybe get it down to $299 for Christmas or something.

Sony never launched a redesign console at a higher price. (the Go is a different platform)

Egmont

Neo Member
-Pyromaniac- said:
I could see the product being rolled out 2 weeks after it's announced at the earliest.

Though I don't know how that whole part of the retail industry works.

Yeah, but 2 weeks from next Tuesday is...

September 1st.

:lol

Hazelhurst

Sony will miss a golden opportunity if they introduce the Slim at $399.99.

I'm confident they will introduce the Slim at $299.99 and be the hottest item to get this holiday season. Wii hotness.

Erebus

It will only be rational for PS3 slim to be $399 in case it has some new premium features like for example the re-introduction of PS2 BC that can't be achieved on current models.

DeadGzuz

Banned
sinnergy said:

Last time they were selling the old stock for $399 people said no way the new SKU will be $399, of course it was. Otherwise you would effectively have a price increase in the public's eyes.

Carl

Tom Penny said:
Older inferior product $299
New better product $299

No...

As shown by pretty much every gaming site on teh internet tubes, there are hardly any phat PS3s left. So that situation will be even worse in 2 weeks time.

There wont be any units to cut the price of. The few units still lying around, SOny will probably just say to the retailer "Do whatever you can to clear them."

Tom Penny said:
New better product $299

No...

Older product to be discontinued
New product to replace it
One price

Seems coherent. Then again, it's Sony, but they just can't make it more expensive again. Not at this point.

Who the hell are you anyway? You don't seem like you really know anything.

plasmasd

You have to remember Sony doesn't really think of this as a console. Its a console/blu-ray player. New improved model = more monies. I say $399 and gaf servers borked for a few days.

[Nintex]

I think Sony will drop the regular PS3 to $299, introduce the slim at $399 and drop the slim to $349/$299 in time for the holidays once the normal PS3 is sold out. Otherwise they'll have a bunch of unsold PS3's in their warehouses that no one wants.

Piggus

Ardorx said:
You have information stating otherwise?

No, he has common sense.

Seriously. Look at what we've heard and seen so far. The current PS3 is bulky and expensive to produce given the features both inside and out. The Slim obviously uses less raw material and less "advanced" features as the old model (the power and eject buttons for example) AND didn't Sony already state that they had significantly cut down production costs? Why the hell would they clear out the current stock at $299 if they were planning on a $399 Slim? If the Slim were launching at $399, wouldn't it make sense to just clear the remaining stock at that price too? Keep in mind that this thing hasn't even been officially announced yet and most people know nothing of its existence.

LegoDad

Carl said:
As shown by pretty much every gaming site on teh internet tubes, there are hardly any phat PS3s left. So that situation will be even worse in 2 weeks time.

There wont be any units to cut the price of. The few units still lying around, SOny will probably just say to the retailer "Do whatever you can to clear them."

Concept doesn't work in the US, as everyone has 160gb PS3's left... Only the 80gb's are running short...

pswii60

D4Danger said:
I really hope this new PS3 brings a price drop with it. The cheapest 360 is (soon to be) £169 now.

I say hope because the PSP GO! pricing is a fucking disaster.
Why is the cheapest 360 soon to be £169? The Arcade isn't going anywhere.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Piggus said:
No, he has common sense.

Seriously. Look at what we've heard and seen so far. The current PS3 is bulky and expensive to produce given the features both inside and out. The Slim obviously uses less raw material and less "advanced" features as the old model (the power and eject buttons for example) AND didn't Sony already state that they had significantly cut down production costs? Why the hell would they clear out the current stock at $299 if they were planning on a $399 Slim? If the Slim were launching at $399, wouldn't it make sense to just clear the remaining stock at that price too? Keep in mind that this thing hasn't even been officially announced yet and most people know nothing of its existence.

but you do know Sony doesn't use common sense right?

trust, it makes sense that they would intro the slim @ $299 since they are clearing stock. So any old stock that is lying around would be $299 also but as we all know, Sony is good for fucking shit up.

I'm just saying, we all seen that shit too many times before. 1step forward and 1step back.

Loudninja said:
What how you not seen al the places that confirmed the PS3 80Gb out of stock . You guys are not making sense.

that's the problem, I've seen it but I can't believe it :lol

Tom Penny said:
New better product $299

No...

dude...dont bother trying to make sense. i've gone at it at every angle from the currency exchange rates and the same reasons you list and no one listens. :lol

Loudninja said:
What how you not seen al the places that confirmed the PS3 80Gb out of stock . You guys are not making sense.

i could stop at every single target on the way home taking pics proving the 80g is not "out of stock" and even if it were out of stock that would further my main argument that going from the now left over $499 160g ps3s to the comparable 120g ps3 slim at $299 would represent a $200 price drop. not gonna happen unless sony thinks this is their last shot at saving this gen.

Loudninja

So let me get this straight you guys think Sony is clearing out stock just to launch the 80GB again at a lower price, where as they could have did it without depleting the stock and causing them to lose sales? :lol

So, when the slim happens, is that it? Meaning, will that be the only SKU (after the olds are sold) or will we still have, 40gig slim, 160 gig slim, and with or w/o BC? I hope at least the old ones are sold for 299. I have damn a launch unit here and when it finally dies, I'm already worried there are no 20 gigs left for Sony to replace it with.

WasteLand Soldier said:
dude...dont bother trying to make sense. i've gone at it at every angle from the currency exchange rates and the same reasons you list and no one listens. :lol

i could stop at every single target on the way home taking pics proving the 80g is not "out of stock"

The 80GB is out of stock. Sony is no longer shipping them to anyone; anywhere. The units that are out there belong to the retailers, and they can do with them what they want. Sony will probably just workout some sort of incentive to help the stores get the remainders off the shelves if they are still there when the Slim arrives.

According to several members here, you could drive past every single EB/GS on the way home and most of them would probably NOT have any 80GB units, and they would tell you Sony has told them they are not receiving any more of them.

Violater

If Sony release the slim for $399 then :lol
there is no hope for them.
Maybe older systems will be bundled with games, who the F knows at this point.
Right about now we need some solid leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom