• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
highluxury said:
I think alot of you are forgetting that the new SKU & price cut info was (and still is untill its officially announced) rumorage. Would a company like Microsoft really pull the trigger just on rumor?

Come on.
Hmmmm... holiday season coming up, sales stagnating, production costs likely lowering on a system that's nearly four years old, desire to continue to expand the user base...

Just sounds like an anti-Sony conspiracy to me! Good job, soldier. Expect your Helghan medal to arrive in the mail in 10-12 weeks.

KAL2006

Banned
highluxury said:
Thats a very evident strategy from Microsoft thats been pretty goddamn clear since the start of the generation.

Even how they moved Halo Wars around Killzone 2 to steal the limelight, is a prime example of it.

And now they're making a pre-emptive move by cutting the pricetag on their console, comments like that really bring them out as awful hypocrites.

But Im mostly curious HOW they knew Sony was going to cut the price. Hate to make conspiracy theories but there could be a chance for industrial espionage here.

It's all good. Remember competition and price wars is good for us consumers. Bring on the 360 Slim.

neptunes

I'm pretty sure a company like microsoft has contacts that are privy to whats happening in the tech industry. This includes suppliers, distrbuters etc... Maybe MS' own R&D department knew of something coming before this was a rumor

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope this new PS3 brings a price drop with it. The cheapest 360 is (soon to be) £169 now.

I say hope because the PSP GO! pricing is a fucking disaster.

Lambtron said:
Hmmmm... holiday season coming up, sales stagnating, production costs likely lowering on a system that's nearly four years old, desire to continue to expand the user base...

Just sounds like an anti-Sony conspiracy to me! Good job, soldier. Expect your Helghan medal to arrive in the mail in 10-12 weeks.

All the hur-hur joking aside, dont tell me youre forgetting that Microsoft is still ahead of Sony by a few good miles. Their sales are far from stagnating as youre implying.

Seriously, I doubt Microsoft just went along with it just like that and said "OMG this is true! I just know it! cut the prices, pronto!"

...besides lets be honest here, Microsoft has had a shady past with a pretty controversial history on eliminating the competition/rivals.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
highluxury said:
All the hur-hur joking aside, dont tell me youre forgetting that Microsoft is still ahead of Sony by a few good miles. Their sales are far from stagnating as youre implying.

Seriously, I doubt Microsoft just went along with it just like that and said "OMG this is true! I just know it! cut the prices, pronto!"

...besides lets be honest here, Microsoft has had a shady past with a pretty controversial history on eliminating the competition/rivals.
They are. They had a year head start and to this point they have had a sizeable price advantage. They aren't selling way ahead of the PS3 at this point. And really, it's not like the PS3 is just supposed to get marketshare; it has to earn it. To this point it hasn't. Sony outsold everyone last generation by a wide margin, and are still a powerful force. Microsoft would be idiotic to rest on their laurels thus far.

Look I want the PS3 to sell more in order to entice more developers to create for the system in order to make more games I'm interested in, because 3 or 4 a year is a bummer. I'll maybe buy a slim, even though I (stupidly) bought a 20 gig at launch for $500. But really, to cry foul because MS is cutting their price is just unneccessary. Sony not really having any competition during the PS2 era lead to their arrogance, which lead to many of the issues which have held back the PS3 from gaining a ton of marketshare. MS doesn't have a huge presence, all things considered, in this market. They have a good product, and they want to gain marketshare. They've worked hard on it thus far (I was extremely disappointed in my Xbox purchase, but I've been very happy with my 360). It's just good business sense to not ease up.

Wizeguy21

neptunes said:
I'm pretty sure a company like microsoft has contacts that are privy to whats happening in the tech industry. This includes suppliers, distrbuters etc... Maybe MS' own R&D department knew of something coming before this was a rumor

M$ didn't see FF14 Coming!

noah111

Still Alive
offshore said:
MS and Sony are probably talking to Square about FF15 exclusivity as we speak
Nah that's already in the hands of MS, launch title exclusive for the X3. FF16 will be multiplat probably, but that's after Square has taken both Mr.Sony and Mr.Microsofts money, of course. Though by the time FF17 is out you'll be living the post apocalypse genre, so get training with some Fallout and whatnot.

WinFonda

offshore said:
I wonder how much it would cost to secure the exclusivity rights to say, FFXXVII for Dreamcast 2.

Exclusivity could turn into something as simple as buying up a bunch of URL addresses far in advance. One day, it could pay off!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sentry said:
Nah that's already in the hands of MS, launch title exclusive for the X3. FF16 will be multiplat probably, but that's after Square has taken both Mr.Sony and Mr.Microsofts money, of course. Though by the time FF17 is out you'll be living the post apocalypse genre, so get training with some Fallout and whatnot.

I doubt even FF16 will come out before December 2012.

FF15 might have a chance, though.

Doc Evils

offshore said:

After the bombs SE had, do you really think they would even consider the idea of making a main stream FF only on xbox?

onken

WinFonda said:
I wonder how much it would cost to secure the exclusivity rights to say, FFXXVII for Dreamcast 2.

Exclusivity could turn into something as simple as buying up a bunch of URL addresses far in advance. One day, it could pay off!

Every finalfantasy--.com URL right up to XXII has already been bought, someone should go and buy finalfantasyxxiii.com now and really screw over SE :lol

noah111

Still Alive
Danthrax said:
I doubt even FF16 will come out before December 2012.

FF15 might have a chance, though.
Who said anything about 2012? :D Common misconception, world actually ends more around 2013.
\0/

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sentry said:
Who said anything about 2012? :D Common misconception, world actually ends more around 2013.
\0/

wait, what? I was really looking forward to the world ending a day after my birthday.

lastinline said:
September 8th is quite a bit away. It's a Texas based retailer, so it's about time that we hear more from retailers in North America about price drops and such. All I have to say is that I hope the Playstation 3 Slim doesn't release no later than September 1st in North America, cause already waiting for next Tuesday is long enough.
Cease and desist?

Shit just got real.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
According to Hastings' director of merchandising, the ad is "blatantly false," although we have good reason to believe otherwise. SCEA's Patrick Seybold also offered a rare comment, saying the ad "is fake." Thankfully, he did not do this to us.

Well there ya go...it's fake. Maybe we should believe the PR for a change. :p

LegoDad

Here is the cease and desist picture...

hastingsad98.jpg

Dre

caliblue15 said:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/08/hastingsad98.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That's probably just chubigans' second work. :D

Cowie

caliblue15 said:

hastingsad98.jpg

I can't really imagine anyone going out of their way to fake something nobody really wants.. a $399 160gb? Big deal. Of course, if it's true, it may point to a later US release on the slim than originally anticipated..

LegoDad

Cowie said:
I can't really imagine anyone going out of their way to fake something nobody really wants.. a $399 160gb? Big deal. Of course, if it's true, it may point to a later US release on the slim than originally anticipated..

Well if it goes to $399, the new model has to go to $299... only 4 days till judgment day..

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Man, I actually have a few standing bets on a price drop at work. Not money, but drinks are riding on this. Do me proud Sony.

Tailzo

demosthenes said:
Closer this gets I have a feeling that the Slim will be launching in Europe first before the other 2 main regions.
Why? Ps3 (fat) was released last here. I'm not saying you're wrong, I am just curious as to why you think so.

THE:MILKMAN

demosthenes said:
Closer this gets I have a feeling that the Slim will be launching in Europe first before the other 2 main regions.

I doubt it, but would be nice to get something first.

I'd much rather have gt5 this year TBH.................

No45

Tailzo said:
Why? Ps3 (fat) was released last here. I'm not saying you're wrong, I am just curious as to why you think so.
I assume because most of the anecdotal evidence is coming from Europe, and because it's expected to be announced here next week.

caliblue15 said:

hastingsad98.jpg

I've never seen "Price Cut" used in an ad before. It isn't the type of language you would want to use in an advertisement. "New Low Price" is something I would expect to see.

Loudninja

No45 said:
I assume because most of the anecdotal evidence is coming from Europe, and because it's expected to be announced here next week.

Nope

Stumpokapow said:
There's a Canadian Sony rep conference call by the end of the week / early next week to discuss info on major new product launch. Such conferences are only called when there's a major launch and they can't just distribute the information normally.

gcubed

the sku rearrangement had to happen as soon as Sony moved on the PS3 price point. MS would look foolish with an Elite in the market at its current price point if the PS3 was priced at $299. It was clearly a card that has been held on to by MS exactly for this time, its been rumored at for a while. The Elite was the same as the PS3 $499 system, a net cost of 10 bucks or so to the price of the system for a $100 premium. Win/win even if they only sold 10 a month.

HUELEN10

DoctorWho said:
I've never seen "Price Cut" used in an ad before. It isn't the type of language you would want to use in an advertisement. "New Low Price" is something I would expect to see.
I have seen "Price Cut" before, though it is rare.

Egmont

Neo Member
I suppose that the Sony Rep conference dashes all of my (admittedly rather far-fetched) hopes of seeing the Slim launch in North America before September 1st. If they don't know about it already, it probably won't be launched anytime within the next couple of weeks, right? The orchestration seems like it would just be too much..

I could see the product being rolled out 2 weeks after it's announced at the earliest.

Though I don't know how that whole part of the retail industry works.

sinnergy

Well it looks like the old models will be sold for 299, so I can't really believe SLIM is gonna be 299, it will be > 299 even perhaps the old 399 price tag.

Erebus

sinnergy said:
Well it looks like the old models will be sold for 299, so I can't really believe SLIM is gonna be 299, it will be > 299 even perhaps the old 399 price tag.
That would be an epic fail on the part of Sony, especially after the rumored 360 Elite price cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom