• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anso

80GB bundle is on sale here in Sweden, probably clearing out the stock before new models arrives. It's not much of a sale ($510 for 80GB + extra controller, Swedish prices are silly) but it's a sale nonetheless.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
BobTheFork said:
So, when the slim happens, is that it? Meaning, will that be the only SKU (after the olds are sold) or will we still have, 40gig slim, 160 gig slim, and with or w/o BC? I hope at least the old ones are sold for 299. I have damn a launch unit here and when it finally dies, I'm already worried there are no 20 gigs left for Sony to replace it with.

who knows, but the real question is, how often do you REALLY play PS2 games :D

g35twinturbo said:

Never on my 60GB, but Sony has the added incentive of being able to unleash hundreds of PS2 titles on the PSN Store and cashing in on them if they can get software BC working.

WasteLand Soldier said:
i could stop at every single target on the way home taking pics proving the 80g is not "out of stock" and even if it were out of stock that would further my main argument that going from the now left over $499 160g ps3s to the comparable 120g ps3 slim at $299 would represent a $200 price drop.

The 160 GB already got the 399 price. Read the thread.

not gonna happen unless sony thinks this is their last shot at saving this gen.

Or maybe they can actually allow themselves a price cut with the cheaper to manufacture Slim model.

Loudninja

WasteLand Soldier said:
dude...dont bother trying to make sense. i've gone at it at every angle from the currency exchange rates and the same reasons you list and no one listens. :lol

i could stop at every single target on the way home taking pics proving the 80g is not "out of stock" and even if it were out of stock that would further my main argument that going from the now left over $499 160g ps3s to the comparable 120g ps3 slim at $299 would represent a $200 price drop. not gonna happen unless sony thinks this is their last shot at saving this gen.

Do it than.

shinshero

Violater said:
If Sony release the slim for $399 then :lol
there is no hope for them.
Maybe older systems will be bundled with games, who the F knows at this point.
Right about now we need some solid leaks.

I'm guessing $299 80GB, $349 120GB Slim and $399 160GB + Game + Controller

jonabbey

Valkyr Junkie said:
Never on my 60GB, but Sony has the added incentive of being able to unleash hundreds of PS2 titles on the PSN Store and cashing in on them if they can get software BC working.

Thi$.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Valkyr Junkie said:

I had a 60gb since launch and maybe, played 3rd strike on it like 4 times. I sold that to a friend who plays PS2 and got the MGS4 80gb (which I have now), I have not played a single PS2 game on that thing. Shiiiiit I play PSone games more than PS2. I been toting software emulation for PS2 for a while, each game *package* would be its own self emulation. I see that happening.

TheExecutive said:
Well, I know for a fact I am going to run through and play GOW I & II before 3 comes out.

I see a Fatty BC PS3 in your future.

Valkyr Junkie said:

if they cant software emulate the ps2 games even on the PSN then all hope is lost. They will NOT add a feature to the PSN that all PS3's can't use. It will be software that drives BC on the PSN and it will be a firmware that provides it for ALL consoles.

g35twinturbo said:

A lot. I played through Yakuza 2 and Persona 4 on my PS3, and was in the process of playing Okami and Persona 3 FES before my 60 gig broke. I got it replaced with an 80 gig, and not I can't play any of them. Plus, I really want to play through the Ratchet and Clank games again before the new one comes out, but now I can't.

:(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
g35twinturbo said:
I know you know something Kagari, how about you share it with me :)

see :D

Why would it launch at 299Euro (which has been mentioned time and time again by reliable people) and not $299 for the US? Sense it does not make.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Tkawsome said:
A lot. I played through Yakuza 2 and Persona 4 on my PS3, and was in the process of playing Okami and Persona 3 FES before my 60 gig broke. I got it replaced with an 80 gig, and not I can't play any of them. Plus, I really want to play through the Ratchet and Clank games again before the new one comes out, but now I can't.

:(

I never played through the other R/C games. First one I played was Tools.

Kagari said:
Why would it launch at 299Euro (which has been mentioned time and time again by reliable people) and not $299 for the US? Sense it does not make.

that's true.... Well I guess Tuesday we will find out, everything points to $299. I just have a bad feeling on something maybe not the price but something.

g35twinturbo said:
I never played through the other R/C games. First one I played was Tools.

If you have a BC PS3, go find them, they're pretty cheap. Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal are among my favorite PS2 games. Quite a bit better then Tools (even though Tools is still a great game).

g35twinturbo said:
that's true.... Well I guess Tuesday we will find out, everything points to $299. I just have a bad feeling on something maybe not the price but something.
I'm just worried about when it's going to release in North America.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Tkawsome said:
If you have a BC PS3, go find them, they're pretty cheap. Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal are among my favorite PS2 games. Quite a bit better then Tools (even though Tools is still a great game).

I do, I heard they was pretty awesome. I heart tools though. beat it like 5 times already.

Guy Legend

I don't think there's enough supply (of fats) or time for Sony to launch the slim at $399, then drop it later in year to $299.

The slim should launch at $299. The old 80's will either be dropped to the same price or be almost out of stock. It looks like the 160gb fats will drop to $400. It will be interesting to see how long the fat models stick around.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Guy Legend said:
I don't think there's enough supply (of fats) or time for Sony to launch the slim at $399, then drop it later in year to $299.

The slim should launch at $299. The old 80's will either be dropped to the same price or be almost out of stock. It looks like the 160gb fats will drop to $400. It will be interesting to see how long the fat models stick around.

Didn't FYE just drop the price?

Somnia

Guy Legend said:

Fat will stick around for awhile if all that is left is 160gbs. Even at 400 that thing won't sell probably. My store sells 80gb's at a pretty good pace (has come to a crawl recently, but that is the same for every system), but we've had the same 160gbs forever. That thing just does not sell.

Why would the slim launch at $399? If the phat was going to be $299 with the slim at $399, wouldn't Fry just wait until the slim gets here to drop the price of the phat? Secondly, all they have to do is bundle a game or two to the phat and keep it at $299.

Phat 80GB w/ 1-2 games - $299
Slim 120GB - $299
Phat 160GB Uncharted Bundle - $399

DiGi-C

Banned
I agree with the $299 price, it would probably, almost defiantly kill the system if it isn't, but a very little part of my brain is pointing at the PSP Go reminding me that Sony still could be uber idiots...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CrayzeeCarl said:
Why would the slim launch at $399? If the phat was going to be $299 with the slim at $399, wouldn't Fry just wait until the slim gets here to drop the price of the phat? Secondly, all they have to do is bundle a game or two to the phat and keep it at $299.

Phat 80GB w/ 1-2 games - $299
Slim 120GB - $299
Phat 160GB Uncharted Bundle - $399

DiGi-C said:
I agree with the $299 price, it would probably, almost defiantly kill the system if it isn't, but a very little part of my brain is pointing at the PSP Go reminding me that Sony still could be uber idiots...

The Go's situation is completely different. It's not a replacement for psp 3k and being a dd only device, retailers are probably responsible for the steep price.

VegaShinra

H_Prestige said:
The Go's situation is completely different. It's not a replacement for psp 3k and being a dd only device, retailers are probably responsible for the steep price.
I do believe something came out stating the reason the price is $250 is so retailers are making money on it. I'm sure Sony would have launched it at $199 with no problem.

spwolf

Kagari said:

they might be going with reverse psychology and instead of doing it like everyone else would, pricing it at 299, Sony might price it at 599, just to fuck with us. Megatons all around.

And then when gaf is back at normal and 500's are things of past, drop it to $199 and win the holidays!

lol, cant help it, too many juniors swimming in these waters

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
80% it's $299. If they want to claw back some of the marketshare they've lost then there's no choice when you've got the top 360 sku coming out at $299.

The $399 price comes in when I think about their overall strategy. Obviously the manufacturing costs have come way down. They're still deep in the red for this generation. They could launch at $399 and probably make a healthy profit margin at that price. There are going to be a whole bunch of early adopters lining up to get their Slim @ $399, especially if marketing properly. That's a great way to eat into the losses that have amassed up to this point and when I look at the PSP Go pricing then it's not THAT far out of the question. What will probably happen is they'll look at the last 4 years as a sunk cost and just try to go after whatever market share they can @ $299 and try to win next generation.

As someone who desperately wants one I hope it's $299! :D

androvsky

Didn't some Gamestop receive both $299 stickers and $349 stickers? I think the fat pricing will be up to retailers, like it is in Europe; they'll be free to get rid of them however they want to. Since I doubt a new product requires big stickers to update the price, sounds like the 80GB will be $299 and the 160GB $349, at least at Gamestop.

I don't see how the Slim can launch at anything other than $299. The speculation that it might start at $399 and drop once the retail channels are clear of the old systems was plausible back when it looked like Sony was going to announce it at E3, but it's way too close to the holiday season now to inform the public of two different prices of the new model. Besides, retail has had plenty of warning to dump old systems, I think the early leak may have helped out somewhat in this regard. :) The awesome bundles were starting right after E3 after all.

Road

Kagari said:

Because €299 are ¥40,545 yen, US$399 are ¥37,852, Sony's bleeding money and the PS3 is dead last in NA anyway?

skulpt

I think the PS3 slim could be priced at $399 until they know the old stock really is gone. I mean who would want to buy a fat for the current price of $299 if the slim is the same price? They would probably need to sell the fat more for like $249 to clear stock when the slim is out, and I'm not sure Sony is willing to do that.

Sony might also be interested in seeing how many slims they can sell at $399. I mean if they sell say 350k (NPD) in September at a price of say $299, or 290k at $399? I'm not saying that's going to happen, but if Sony could manage that extra $100 more at $399 and still hit their 13 million unit target, they would do it in a heart beat. I personally think they need the slim + PC + maybe a GT5 holiday release for a huge impact, but you never know.

androvsky

skulpt said:
I think the PS3 slim could be priced at $399 until they know the old stock really is gone. I mean who would want to buy a fat for the current price of $299 if the slim is the same price? They would probably need to sell the fat more for like $249 to clear stock when the slim is out, and I'm not sure Sony is willing to do that.

Sony might also be interested in seeing how many slims they can sell at $399. I mean if they sell say 350k (NPD) in September at a price of say $299, or 290k at $399? I'm not saying that's going to happen, but if Sony could manage that extra $100 more at $399 and still hit their 13 million unit target, they would do it in a heart beat. I personally think they need the slim + PC + maybe a GT5 holiday release for a huge impact, but you never know.

That's the big question: How the heck are they going to hit their 13 million unit target at the current price? Consumers don't care if the slim only saves Sony money, and it's not like anyone really cares about how portable their PS3 is. They might get a bit of a bump with PS2 BC and cross-game voice chat, but it'd barely be measurable in the holiday onslaught.

StuBurns

Banned
PS3 Slim has to be $299, I'd be stunned if it's not. And I think they'll take the hit and do what it takes to clear the old stock, if that means $250/260 for the phats, so be it.

Xeke

Banned
I think the most plausible is a $399 Slim and a price drop before the holiday season. There are enough people that would buy it still at $399.

RSTEIN said:
80% it's $299. If they want to claw back some of the marketshare they've lost then there's no choice when you've got the top 360 sku coming out at $299.

The $399 price comes in when I think about their overall strategy. Obviously the manufacturing costs have come way down. They're still deep in the red for this generation. They could launch at $399 and probably make a healthy profit margin at that price. There are going to be a whole bunch of early adopters lining up to get their Slim @ $399, especially if marketing properly. That's a great way to eat into the losses that have amassed up to this point and when I look at the PSP Go pricing then it's not THAT far out of the question. What will probably happen is they'll look at the last 4 years as a sunk cost and just try to go after whatever market share they can @ $299 and try to win next generation.

As someone who desperately wants one I hope it's $299! :D

What you wrote is the only reason I think it's possible they could launch the slim at $399. Sony has mentioned quite a few times in the last year how their goal is not to win the console war, but to become profitable. The problem is, it's hard to become profitable if nobody buys the damn thing. Now that MS are going with a 299 price it's an even worse situation. How many early adopters will there be? Is Sony ok with selling a hundred thousand or so a month to make a profit? I guess that's the question. I don't think because the product is slim is enough for anybody to really care at 399. Needs BC or something.

299 or bust.

Road

Xeke said:
I think the most plausible is a $399 Slim and a price drop before the holiday season. There are enough people that would buy it still at $399.

And that makes sense. PS3 next heavy hitters are GOW3
not really, but people will kill me if I don't say it
, FFXIII and GT5. Neither is coming out this year in NA (maybe, maybe GT5).

So Sony will lose what? One million sales this holiday season without a price drop? You can dispute they could lose even more mind share and it'd be too late and the PS3 would have peaked in 2008, but at this point they might be more worried with not losing more money.

Being the last in the public mind with the GC didn't stop Nintendo from coming out on top this generation. People are fickle.

Xeke said:

I agree too. Squeeze the early adopters once again who will buy it anyway and ride the publicity wave of the new SKU and redesign. Then get more publicity and buzz by dropping the price on it prior to the big holiday season. Stay relevant and in the news (in the gaming industry at least) for longer.

____

SRG01 said:
If it's selling for $299 with no BC, I'm selling my 60GB. I hardly play PS2 games anyway.

Same here. I have a 60GB unit, but I'm paranoid of it ylod'ing on me (i had 2 before that gave me problems), and I know buying a newly launched slim might have it's problems too, but I fully plan on getting a warranty with mine...and hopefully I'll get more than 300 for my 60GB with a bunch of games which'll pay for the slim and the warranty.

Kagari said:
Different folks, different strokes, could be different SKUs, these things have happened before.

Slim needs to be £230 in the UK, as thats what the Elite is going down to. They are behind the 360 by ~1 million in the UK, so to stay competitive here, they need to at least match the 360 elites price.

SRG01 said:
If it's selling for $299 with no BC, I'm selling my 60GB. I hardly play PS2 games anyway.

I like this idea ... although ... I really really like my media card slots. I use them all the time. I still think I'm just going to get one more eventually when I get another TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom