• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonabbey

elrechazao said:
I agree too. Squeeze the early adopters once again who will buy it anyway and ride the publicity wave of the new SKU and redesign. Then get more publicity and buzz by dropping the price on it prior to the big holiday season. Stay relevant and in the news (in the gaming industry at least) for longer.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Sony needs to immediately increase their relevance and pop up on the NPDs. Sell some Blu-Ray discs, sell some games, get some more people buying from the PlayStation store.

jonabbey said:
Not. Going. To. Happen.

Sony needs to immediately increase their relevance and pop up on the NPDs. Sell some Blu-Ray discs, sell some games, get some more people buying from the PlayStation store.

Sony needs to not throw away all of their cost savings on price cuts, and return to actually making money.

elrechazao said:
Sony needs to not throw away all of their cost savings on price cuts, and return to actually making money.
They're not going to make money on the hardware for a long time and they just need to accept that. They need to increase the install base and the attach ratio by lowering the price and continuing to make AAA games.

jonabbey said:
Not. Going. To. Happen.

Launching at 399 then dropping 100 bucks two months later is a huge waste of an opportunity. Just to squeeze out a few bucks from early adopters? What a waste of a relaunch that is.

Dragnet

Galvanise_ said:
Slim needs to be £230 in the UK, as thats what the Elite is going down to. They are behind the 360 by ~1 million in the UK, so to stay competitive here, they need to at least match the 360 elites price.

They were selling 80gb PS3s with a game for £230 in Makro earlier in the week. Damn fine deal!

Road said:
Because €299 are ¥40,545 yen, US$399 are ¥37,852, Sony's bleeding money and the PS3 is dead last in NA anyway?

Yep, there is some VAT included in the Euro price, but it still does not make up for all the difference. If people actully grasp this fact a different price point for NA may not be so hard understand.

Cowie

Where did all you Negative Fucking Nancies come from? I'm not saying it's impossible for the slim to come out at $399, but I still say you're delusional if you think it's a good idea.

Cowie said:
Where did all you Negative Fucking Nancies come from? I'm not saying it's impossible for the slim to come out at $399, but I still say you're delusional if you think it's a good idea.

Thinking sony might do something =/= thinking it's a good idea.

Will the same 399 crowd give it a rest? It's been the same shitty argument for the last 10 pages. This thread is just repeating itself over and over now.

vicissitudes said:
Will the same 399 crowd give it a rest? It's been the same shitty argument for the last 10 pages. This thread is just repeating itself over and over now.

This thread just keeps going in circles :lol

Do people find it really hard to accept that a slim ps3 can be sold for $299 and break even?

Cowie said:
The nancies are coming to take care of the crack-smokers. :D

I am not saying there wont be a price drop in NA, but things may be done differently compared to other markets due to exchange rates, bla bla.

The-Warning said:

Launching at 399 then dropping 100 bucks two months later is a huge waste of an opportunity. Just to squeeze out a few bucks from early adopters? What a waste of a relaunch that is.

relaunch is when ps3 waggle comes out. just like 360 relaunch is natal. or do you 299 hopefuls expect the ps3 to be 199 by waggle time or back up to 399 bundled? sony not only needs to profit but they need wiggle room for next year. you guys seem to be forgetting that too. Kagari if the slim launches at $299 US, Lunch on me and i will paypal you $15.

Cowie said:

At this point every single person in this thread is delusional. I mean we are arguing over a price point of a rumored, yet to even be seen, console relaunch from SONY of all companies. I am not say that I am an unbeliever of the Slim but i mean we are all treating the slim's existence as a FACT. I mean knowing Sony's inability to keep any secrets at all and not actually seeing or have any confirmation from any retailer makes me a skeptical believer all by itself.

Omg are people seriously considering that the PS3 slim to be 399?

Oh yeah, that would definitely help them ... I dont have enough rolling eyes smileys to express the fail.

Machado

highluxury said:
Omg are people seriously considering that the PS3 slim to be 399?

Oh yeah, that would definitely help them ... I dont have enough rolling eyes smileys to express the fail.

what if it's $399? what would you do?

Woo-Fu

Banned
H_Prestige said:
This thread just keeps going in circles :lol

Do people find it really hard to accept that a slim ps3 can be sold for $299 and break even?

They probably believe the world is flat too.

Xeke said:
I think the most plausible is a $399 Slim and a price drop before the holiday season. There are enough people that would buy it still at $399.

That is flat out factually not true. :lol

elrechazao said:
I agree too. Squeeze the early adopters once again who will buy it anyway and ride the publicity wave of the new SKU and redesign.

There is no publicity wave to ride without a price drop.

Machado said:
what if it's $399? what would you do?

Never, ever stop laughing.

charlequin said:
That is flat out factually not true. :lol

There is no publicity wave to ride without a price drop.

Never, ever stop laughing.

You really don't think a slim with any accompanying new features (redesign, more power efficient, accompanying firmware update, maybe BC, etc) wouldn't spark any publicity at all?

androvsky

elrechazao said:
You really don't think a slim with any accompanying new features (redesign, more power efficient, accompanying firmware update, maybe BC, etc) wouldn't spark any publicity at all?

Redesign... this offers what to the consumer? Fits in their pocket better?

More power efficient... yay? It won't save that much over current PS3s.

Firmware update and BC that'll work in the now cheaper fat PS3s?

Can you imagine the shitstorm Sony is going to get from the press (gaming and mainstream) if the Slim launches at $399? There would be such negative buzz they wouldn't be able to clear out the old fats at a discount.

nib95

Banned
If there is a slim (which I'm not even sure there is, could have been a Chinese knock off or something, the leaked pics that is), I could totally see it being $399. When in the history of Sony products has a smaller, more compact, technologically advanced piece of hardware come out and been substantially cheaper than it's bigger, older counterpart?

I still think it will be the regular model that gets the price drop to $299 (that everyone has wanted and talked about for aeons) and the Slim at $399 or slightly less. It's going to be the PSP Go all over again. I think some of you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

The big news here is that the PS3 (regular model) is getting a price drop. people have wanted and talked about a rumoured price drop for so long, but now suddenly with rumours of a new slim model, it appears the price drop isn't enough. No, the price drop has to be on the newer model to boot. lets be real. It's asking a lot just for Sony to drop the price on the fat by a $100 (not exactly a small number).

nib95 said:
If there is a slim (which I'm not even sure there is, could have been a Chinese knock off or something, the leaked pics that is), I could totally see it being $399. When in the history of Sony products has a smaller, more compact, technologically advanced piece of hardware come out and been substantially cheaper than it's bigger, older counterpart?

I still think it will be the regular model that gets the price drop to $299 (that everyone has wanted and talked about for aeons) and the Slim at $399 or slightly less. It's going to be the PSP Go all over again. I think some of you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

The big news here is that the PS3 (regular model) is getting a price drop.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic....

I honestly can't tell anymore.

H_Prestige said:

I like how you guys are acting so incredulous and outraged at perfectly reasonable speculation. If you're sure what will happen, why even come to the thread and be annoyed by those of us who aren't privy to your time traveling?

nib95

Banned
H_Prestige said:

Not at all. Prior to these Slim rumours, I think most people just wanted the PS3 to get a price cut. To that golden $299 figure. There was no talk of a new and improved PS3 model, or a slim. People just wanted the price drop. Why is it so difficult to comprehend the Slim could be more expensive, when past experience (PSTwo, PSP Go etc) show it's perfectly plausible. As far as I can remember, the PS2 Slim on release in the UK at least, was more expensive than the fat. Smaller more compact things generally do cost more money.

Don't get me wrong, the PS3 Slim (if there is going to be one this year) could release at $299. But I can totally see it being $399 as well. If the PS3 fat in Europe will be dropping price to 299 Euro's (100 Euro drop) where does that leave the Slim? To come in and around the same time at the same price point? Why would anyone go for the fat over the slim at the same price? Unless you expect them to throw in free games with the fat along with the 100 Euro price drop in a similar time frame (within only a few months). It's just not plausible. Based on the leaked Euro price drop figures, it's a safer guess to assume that the fat will get the price drop, and the slim will be a higher price.

elrechazao said:
I like how you guys are acting so incredulous and outraged at perfectly reasonable speculation. If you're sure what will happen, why even come to the thread and be annoyed by those of us who aren't privy to your time traveling?

Yeah, I'm a time traveler. That must be it. Good one :lol

Ah well, carry on with your rational speculations.

H_Prestige said:
Yeah, I'm a time traveler. That must be it. Good one :lol

Ah well, carry on with your rational speculations.

Do you have another explanation besides time travel for your ability to halt all discussion of the topic based on your explicit knowledge of what will happen in the future?

nib95 said:
Not at all. Prior to these Slim rumours, I think most people just wanted the PS3 to get a price cut. To that golden $299 figure. There was no talk of a new and improved PS3 model, or a slim. People just wanted the price drop. Why is it so difficult to comprehend the Slim could be more expensive, when past experience (PSTwo, PSP Go etc) show it's perfectly plausible. As far as I can remember, the PS2 Slim on release in the UK at least, was more expensive than the fat. Smaller more compact things generally do cost more money.

Don't get me wrong, the PS3 Slim (if there is going to be one this year) could release at $299. But I can totally see it being $399 as well. If the PS3 fat in Europe will be dropping price to 299 Euro's (100 Euro drop) where does that leave the Slim? To come in and around the same time at the same price point? Why would anyone go for the fat over the slim at the same price? Unless you expect them to throw in free games with the fat along with the 100 Euro price drop in a similar time frame (within only a few months). It's just not plausible. Based on the leaked Euro price drop figures, it's a safer guess to assume that the fat will get the price drop, and the slim will be a higher price.

Pretty much what I've been trying to say. But apparently we're completely off the wall loons.

nib95

Banned
elrechazao said:
Do you have another explanation besides time travel for your ability to halt all discussion of the topic based on your explicit knowledge of what will happen in the future?

Every one of his posts thus far have been relatively pointless. He could at least add something fruitful to the thread instead of criticising other people's "rational" theories without so much of a sentence of explanation or an opposing constructive point. I've yet to actually hear why my explanation above is so un-believable.

Rikyfree

elrechazao said:
I don't rent out my TARDIS to just anyone, so you'll just have to make do.

:D

elrechazao said:

If you really want to know, then read this entire thread from start to finish. All the relevant info and insider 'confirmations' have been posted in here at some point. Otherwise continue living in magic land where it is financially intelligent for Sony to not only continue manufacturing fat ps3's, but to also sell them at an extra $100 loss for the remaining fiscal year, all while selling a much cheaper to make slim ps3 at a price point it will never sell at.

You guys are completely correct. With as unresponsive and slow Sony has been this gen, a $399 Slim is entirely possible.

I thought they were pretty ready to turn the boat around, but then they killed any hopes I had for them with that $250 PSP Go announcement.

I just have a feeling this company is content with laying low and not being aggressive for the time being. Hopefully for their sake, they're putting energy into being more competitive in the future.

nib95 said:

The big news here is that the PS3 (regular model) is getting a price drop. people have wanted and talked about a rumoured price drop for so long, but now suddenly with rumours of a new slim model, it appears the price drop isn't enough. No, the price drop has to be on the newer model to boot. lets be real. It's asking a lot just for Sony to drop the price on the fat by a $100 (not exactly a small number).

But there's been evidence in this thread that they're phasing out the 80gb. So when that's gone, do you think they're going to drop the price of the slim to 299 or keep it 399?

nib95

Banned
H_Prestige said:
If you really want to know, then read this entire thread from start to finish. All the relevant info and insider 'confirmations' have been posted in here at some point. Otherwise continue living in magic land where it is financially intelligent for Sony to not only continue manufacturing fat ps3's, but to also sell them at an extra $100 loss for the remaining fiscal year, all while selling a much cheaper to make slim ps3 at a price point it will never sell at.

If they release the Slim at $299 and 299 Euro's, nobody will buy those remaining fat PS3's and they'll be losing a whole lot more than $100.

I still think it's a better guess that they'll drop the price of the fat PS3 as suggested, and launch the slim at a higher price point, but only until stock of the fat PS3's have properly been cleared. Right now only a few areas have cleared their supply of the 80GB's or fats. In Europe, the big news is the 100 Euro price drop. This is the only thing that will help clear the excess stock of the fats. A PS3 slim at 299 Euro's would kill those chances immediately.

H_Prestige said:

I've read the thread from day one thanks. I'm not sure where anyone that you're arguing with here said that the fats would continue to be produced, or that the 399 price point theory requires such an event.

androvsky

nib95 said:

Oh for the love of...

It's a chip shrinkage! It's why electronics get cheaper over time. You can stuff more of them per wafer, wafers are largely a fixed cost. When you can put more, smaller chips on the same wafers, the cost per chip drops, it's quite simple.

nib95

Banned
androvsky said:
Oh for the love of...

It's a chip shrinkage! It's why electronics get cheaper over time. You can stuff more of them per wafer, wafers are largely a fixed cost. When you can put more, smaller chips on the same wafers, the cost per chip drops, it's quite simple.

I didn't mean cost in regards to manufacturing process. I meant to the end consumer. We always end up paying more for the newer, smaller product. That's just the way it is. The PSP Go likely costs Sony less to manufacture. But guess what, we're getting charged MORE for it.

androvsky

nib95 said:
I didn't mean cost in regards to manufacturing process. I meant to the end consumer. We always end up paying more for the newer, smaller product. That's just the way it is.

We do? Ever buy a PC?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
nib95 said:
I didn't mean cost in regards to manufacturing process. I meant to the end consumer. We always end up paying more for the newer, smaller product. That's just the way it is.

That's not really how it worked with the PS1/PS2 hardware redesigns. The PSPGo is the first that has cost more as far as I can remember, and it's previous re-designs did not.

nib95

Banned
androvsky said:
We do? Ever buy a PC?

Just recently thanks (see the buy a new PC thread). You're not thinking rationally in this. You only have to look at the PSOne, PSTwo, DSi (to a lesser degree) and PSPGo as examples to what I am getting at. I'm not sure about in the US, but I remember the PSTwo for example costing more than the PS2 (fat) in the UK upon release.

nib95 said:
If they release the Slim at $299 and 299 Euro's, nobody will buy those remaining fat PS3's and they'll be losing a whole lot more than $100.

Were you asking yourself this question when the 40gb was phased out in favor of the 80gb ps3? There won't be any remaining stock. Retail is already on it's final stash of 80gb units and Sony isn't taking any more orders. The deep discounts and bundles that have been in effect for the past several weeks are simply to clear the inventory for the next ps3 sku. If a retailer has some stray 80gb ps3's, they'll do whatever they need to get rid of them if nobody is buying them.

nib95

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Were you asking yourself this question when the 40gb was phased out in favor of the 80gb ps3? There won't be any remaining stock. Retail is already on it's final stash of 80gb units and Sony isn't taking any more orders. The deep discounts and bundles that have been in effect for the past several weeks are simply to clear the inventory for the next ps3 sku. If a retailer has some stray 80gb ps3's, they'll do whatever they need to get rid of them if nobody is buying them.

Whilst I appreciate this point (which is why I said I could also see the PS3 slim releasing at $299) it depends on just how much of that inventory has cleared. Like I said, I know there have been reports that some places have. But then others have not, especially in Europe. Where substantial price drops or game bundles STILL have not come in to effect (whereas crazy bundles have been on-going for a few weeks/months now in the US/Canada). So if they want to clear that stock, they better act now. Because if the slim is a reality, and IS to release at a lower price point, many retailers, at least in parts of Europe, are going to get royally stuffed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If the PS3 Slim lacks BC, but is quieter in Blu Ray mode, I will trade my immaculate, barely used 60 Gig for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom