• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
elrechazao said:
You really don't think a slim with any accompanying new features (redesign, more power efficient, accompanying firmware update, maybe BC, etc) wouldn't spark any publicity at all?

At $399? Not unless "Sony fucks up holiday season generation forever" is "publicity."

nib95 said:
If they release the Slim at $299 and 299 Euro's, nobody will buy those remaining fat PS3's and they'll be losing a whole lot more than $100.

There are no remaining fat PS3s to speak of. The channel stopped getting new hardware weeks ago.

nib95 said:
Just recently thanks (see the buy a new PC thread). You're not thinking rationally in this. You only have to look at the PSOne, PSTwo, DSi (to a lesser degree) and PSPGo as examples to what I am getting at.

Your evidence that the Slim is going to be priced $100 higher than the existing system is two redesigns that came in at the same price their fatter versions were selling at the day of their release plus a boutique model that doesn't replace the other PSP model and that everyone understands has an additional retailer margin priced in? This is why people think your position is ludicrous.

nib95 said:
I didn't mean cost in regards to manufacturing process. I meant to the end consumer. We always end up paying more for the newer, smaller product. That's just the way it is. The PSP Go likely costs Sony less to manufacture. But guess what, we're getting charged MORE for it.
your getting charged more for it so retail can make money off it because they aren't selling games for it anymore. it costs more because retail needs a reason to sell it, if its not for the games anymore. PS3 slim won't have that problem. I bet retail pays $150 for it but sells it for the $250. the wii, 360, ps3 gets sold for a slim margin because they sell games with it.

nib95 said:
When in the history of Sony products has a smaller, more compact, technologically advanced piece of hardware come out and been substantially cheaper than it's bigger, older counterpart?

Never, but at the same time their consoles have never been more expensive than the bigger versions. The PSone was released at $99, which was the same price as the bigger model, and the PS2 slim was released at $149, which was also the same price as the bigger model. In both cases the point of the new smaller model was to replace the older model. I'm pretty sure that's going to be the same case with the PS3 slim, as there's no reason to keep it around once the slim is released. So I can't see them dropping the price of the bigger model while placing the slim model at a higher price.

HUELEN10

highluxury said:
Omg are people seriously considering that the PS3 slim to be 399.
I think it will be 400 USD, maybe 350, but not 300. That's why I have 400 USD saved up, better to be safe than sorry right?

Egmont

Neo Member
HUELEN10 said:
I think it will be 400 USD, maybe 350, but not 300. That's why I have 400 USD saved up, better to be safe than sorry right?

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. A good motto for this thread, I think. :lol

nib95 said:
I didn't mean cost in regards to manufacturing process. I meant to the end consumer. We always end up paying more for the newer, smaller product. That's just the way it is. The PSP Go likely costs Sony less to manufacture. But guess what, we're getting charged MORE for it.
We don't pay more for smaller products, we pay more for products that use flash memory instead of magnetic, or OLED instead of LCD, touchscreen instead of non-touch, etc. Not just for a smaller case and a more efficient processor.

kuYuri

Old?

30bdwmw.jpg

Via CAG

yeah me too im so damn paranoid thanks to gaf in that, so can someone please confirm if this is true not another happy moment made by gaf

gtj1092

elrechazao said:
I'm curious why anyone would do that at this point, since everyone is so 100% certain that the slim will be 299?

To get one sooner, plus not everyone likes the slim design. And since you can swap the hard drive the difference between 120GB and 80GB doesn't matter.

gtj1092 said:
To get one sooner, plus not everyone likes the slim design. And since you can swap the hard drive the difference between 120GB and 80GB doesn't matter.
Swapping the HDD to a decent size 300+ GB right from start is good idea as well IMO, saves you some trouble later on. You can find them dirt cheap these days.

gtj1092 said:

The slim design that we really know nothing about in terms of features at this point?

HUELEN10

elrechazao said:
The slim design that we really know nothing about in terms of features at this point?
We know it runs cooler, therefore should be quieter. This only makes sense, and it is more than a good enough reason to get it for some people, people like me who had a 60GB that was loud as a train and had to sell it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
g35twinturbo said:
thats exactly what I was thinking :(

Here's that bad feeling kicking in.

I'll chime in again that this is what's going to happen, the harsh realization about how sony keeps dropping the ball in these situations. 299 is nice, but it's only temporary until the stock clears out. Then the 399 160gb will clear out and probably drop to 299 and the slim settles in at 399, or it might be the slim at 499 I really wouldn't be shocked at all.

VegaShinra

HUELEN10 said:
That's no slim.
I think the FYE sale is starting this weekend or in the very near future. So it should be before the slim. The Slim is happening. There is way too much evidence of it coming.

HUELEN10 said:
We know it runs cooler, therefore should be quieter. This only makes sense, and it is more than a good enough reason to get it for some people, people like me who had a 60GB that was loud as a train and had to sell it.

well, I was responding to the idea of people not liking its features, and I'm not really sure how they know enough to know that they prefer a phat a tthe same price theoretically, which was what he said.

I was presuming that the slim would be more desirable, maybe even have great features like BC, so it didn't and doesn't make sense that someone would prefer to pay the same price for an old model. Other than wanting one right now of course which would make perfect sense. But again...if you believe any of the rumors, a month or three isn't long to wait for what most people think will be an upgrade...

gtj1092

elrechazao said:
well, I was responding to the idea of people not liking its features, and I'm not really sure how they know enough to know that they prefer a phat a tthe same price theoretically, which was what he said.

I was presuming that the slim would be more desirable, maybe even have great features like BC, so it didn't and doesn't make sense that someone would prefer to pay the same price for an old model. Other than wanting one right now of course which would make perfect sense. But again...if you believe any of the rumors, a month or three isn't long to wait for what most people think will be an upgrade...

Where did I mention features I said design. As in the shell. Do you think they would add BC via hardware? Wouldn't that cause a rise in manufacturing cost, thats hustling backwards. You can't determine what is or isn't a long wait for someone. Do you believe the 120gig slim and 160gig phat are both going to $399 since you feel that the 80gig and 120gig can't possibly be the same price.

Can someone point to one instance since its inception that Sony raised the price of the Ps3 when changing SKUs. I'd believe the Slim would be $399 if sony hadn't stopped manufacturing 80gigs.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Kagari said:

:( indeed.

msdstc said:
I'll chime in again that this is what's going to happen, the harsh realization about how sony keeps dropping the ball in these situations. 299 is nice, but it's only temporary until the stock clears out. Then the 399 160gb will clear out and probably drop to 299 and the slim settles in at 399, or it might be the slim at 499 I really wouldn't be shocked at all.

i doubt a 499 slim though but I can totally see there whoa method of price drop and clearing stock.

HUELEN10

ZZMitch said:
Ugh, to get the PS3 "phat" now for 300$ or wait for the Slim...
Wait man, wait. Do you really want to chance getting a loud PS3? It's up to you, but I say waiting would be most prudent.

gtj1092 said:
Where did I mention features I said design. As in the shell. Do you think they would add BC via hardware? Wouldn't that cause a rise in manufacturing cost, thats hustling backwards. You can't determine what is or isn't a long wait for someone. Do you believe the 120gig slim and 160gig phat are both going to $399 since you feel that the 80gig and 120gig can't possibly be the same price.

Can someone point to one instance since its inception that Sony raised the price of the Ps3 when changing SKUs. I'd believe the Slim would be $399 if sony hadn't stopped manufacturing 80gigs.

I can't really imagine design not including the feature set, but ok, you meant aesthetic appearance. Again though, are you that confident in the design...since it hasn't been shown yet?

Like I said though "other than wanting one right now which makes perfect sense". To each his own. I'm pretty happy with my 60 gig original model, so enjoy, whether it's a phat or a slim.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HUELEN10 said:
Wait man, wait. Do you really want to chance getting a loud PS3? It's up to you, but I say waiting would be most prudent.

Who says the slim won't be loud? I have a launch unit 60GB that gets used almost every day and it's still quiet.

ZZMitch

HUELEN10 said:

Is it really loud? I have never owned a PS3 and currently own a 360. Is it louder then the 360?

I am going to wait until Gamscom at least.

HUELEN10

Kagari said:
Who says the slim won't be loud? I have a launch unit 60GB that gets used almost every day and it's still quiet.
I'm not saying the slim won't be loud, what I am saying is that when you get a current-style PS3, there is a chance your unit will get loud. Ask around here, lot's of people get the fans up and kicking a few minutes after startup.
ZZMitch said:
Is it really loud? I have never owned a PS3 and currently own a 360. Is it louder then the 360?
PS3s in general are silent, but when they get loud, they get LOUD. It sounds like a train, especially when the fans kick into 4th gear. That's why I would wait for the slim to come out, ask people how silent/noisy it is and how cool it runs, and then decide.

ZZMitch

HUELEN10 said:
PS3s in general are silent, but when they get loud, they get LOUD. It sounds like a train, especially when the fans kick into 4th gear. That's why I would wait for the slim to come out, ask people how silent/noisy it is and how cool it runs, and then decide.

Ya, I am waiting until Gamescom at least.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Kagari said:

true, my 60gb never was super loud but of course I never see you online so your ps3 is probably mint condition :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
g35twinturbo said:
true, my 60gb never was super loud but of course I never see you online so your ps3 is probably mint condition :D

I've been getting on really late at night recently :lol

jiggle

g35twinturbo said:
thats exactly what I was thinking :(

Here's that bad feeling kicking in.

isn't the fact that it's dropping that price NOW indicative of slim is coming?
why else are they doing that before the official price drop announcement?

gtj1092

Kagari said:
Seems that FYE deal starts Sunday. Perhaps other retailers will have something then.

Its almost certain. No one likes to be under sold especially the likes of best buy and wal-mart and once they do the rest must follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom