• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

Kagari said:
Hmm, mine's never gotten that loud. D:
keep in mind that that is only gear 3, gear 4 is...
Gear 4 is easily about as loud as 3 powerful dustbuster handvacs at once. You can hear it audibly from 3 rooms away. :(

Not all PS3s are loud, but when it does get loud, it means LOUD!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Kagari said:
I've been getting on really late at night recently :lol

:lol uh huh!

jiggle said:
isn't the fact that it's dropping that price NOW indicative of slim is coming?
why else are they doing that before the official price drop announcement?

Well they can just be dropping the price to drop it. I'm not saying its 100% not coming ,shit I wish with one of my three wishes that it comes out.

KillJade

Banned
The PS3 itself is almost completely silent. When I turn it on, the only way I know it's on, is because the light tells me so.

But it doesn't take long before the fans kick in, and like others have mentioned, while watching a movie, it's annoying as hell. The highest speed of the fan pumps out some serious heat, it's definitely doing it's job well, but there's no denying how loud it is at that point.

If the Slim eliminated that issue, I'd also consider replacing my 60 (320) GB unit, as long as the features were similar/the same.

Kagari said:
Who says the slim won't be loud? I have a launch unit 60GB that gets used almost every day and it's still quiet.
My launch 60gb was so quiet. Then it died (actually, just the disc drive's motor stopped working), and they sent me a refurb 60gb that's noisy as fuck. After a few minutes of playing it goes up to level 2 or 3 fan speed, something like that, which is noticeably loud. After 10-15 minutes of playing, it goes to the highest level, which is SO LOUD.

HUELEN10

KillJade said:
The PS3 itself is almost completely silent. When I turn it on, the only way I know it's on, is because the light tells me so.

But it doesn't take long before the fans kick in, and like others have mentioned, while watching a movie, it's annoying as hell. The highest speed of the fan pumps out some serious heat, it's definitely doing it's job well, but there's no denying how loud it is at that point.

If the Slim eliminated that issue, I'd also consider replacing my 60 (320) GB unit, as long as the features were similar/the same.
The worst part with the loudness issue, is that it is NOT a fault according to SCEA. After getting a refurb from them, I noticed that it got loud. Everyone I talked to said the same thing, that it is NOT a defect as the unit wasn't technically overheating. I ended up selling to fucker for about 375 if I am correct, though I may be mistaken, a small profit. I kept all my games though, and I want to play my newly-acquired copy of VC so bad!
makingmusic476 said:
My launch 60gb was so quiet. Then it died (actually, just the disc drive's motor stopped working), and they sent me a refurb 60gb that's noisy as fuck. After a few minutes of playing it goes up to level 2 or 3 fan speed, something like that, which is noticeably loud. After 10-15 minutes of playing, it goes to the highest level, which is SO LOUD.
There's no sense in hiding it, gear 4 is a fucking train in your room.

KillJade

Banned
Mine hits the highest fan lvl if it's really warm in the house and I'm watching a movie. Rarely will it ever hit that lvl while playing a game.

But yes, the highest fan lvl is extremely loud and it pumps out some serious heat.

HUELEN10

KillJade said:
Mine hits the highest fan lvl if it's really warm in the house and I'm watching a movie. Rarely will it ever hit that lvl while playing a game.

But yes, the highest fan lvl is extremely loud and it pumps out some serious heat.
Mine went to gear 3 within 5-10 minutes of startup, and went straight into gear 4 whenever Flower or MGS4 was played, my 2 fav games in my collection at the time. I'm surprised more people don't talk about the noise issues, it's like few really know.

I heard on AVS awhile back that there was an issue with some 40gb systems that had fans that emitted a sort of high pitched whine when it hit top speed. A guy managed to get Sony to replace his as a result.

Upon a close listening to my fan a few times, it sounds as if it's partly the flow of air making the noise and partly a mechanical a whine of sorts. Maybe these bad fans are making their way into refurbed ps3s?

KillJade

Banned
Mine isn't a bad fan, quite the opposite.

What we have here is a hella good fan, that does it's job almost too well. It's like a mini jet turbine at lvl 4, but give it credit, it's doing it's job, and because of it, I've never once had any overheating issues with my PS3, even on the hottest of days with it running for hours on end.

The fan does what a fan is meant to do, keeps the inside cool.

DrXym

I find fan speed on my PAL launch PS3 is greatly affected by ambient temperature. At the moment its probably 21C in my house. If I set the PS3 to play a video, the fan will be whirring audibly (but not offensively so) after a while. I've never heard anything close to the jet engine noises that exist in a few video clips. In cooler temperatures the thing doesn't make much noise at all. I expect people who confine their PS3 (or 360), or obstruct the vents, or live in high heat / humidity conditions will suffer louder consoles than those who don't.

There are also quite a few variations of the PS3 already. Newer models have less components and smaller, less power hungry / heat disappating chips. The fat has even already gone through at least 3 heat sink revisions (http://www.gamingblog.org/entry/iii-generation-heatsink-for-ps3-makes-its-grand-debut/)

I think slims will probably make less noise simply through virtue of using smaller scale & less power hungry parts. There will be less heat generated and therefore less to disappate. Less heat to disappate means fans can be smaller and maybe kick in later only when passive cooling doesn't work. On the flip side, a small case probably means less shielding so the noise may be more noticeable. And if the console weight is reduced it might cause vibration which makes it resonate through whatever the console rests on. And a reengineered BD drive could be louder too.

So judgement should be reserved until the slim appears. In theory it should be quieter but who knows?

HUELEN10

Shadowlink said:
Is it louder than the 360 fan?
360 fan isn't loud, at least mine isn't, though I have heard Jaspers are loud. Look at the vid I posted if you wanna see how loud a PS3 is. I think it has to be louder though.
DrXym said:
I find fan speed on my PAL launch PS3 is greatly affected by ambient temperature. At the moment its probably 21C in my house. If I set the PS3 to play a video, the fan will be whirring audibly (but not offensively so) after a while. I've never heard anything close to the jet engine noises that exist in a few video clips. In cooler temperatures the thing doesn't make much noise at all. I expect people who confine their PS3 (or 360), or obstruct the vents, or live in high heat / humidity conditions will suffer louder consoles than those who don't.

There are also quite a few variations of the PS3 already. Newer models have less components and smaller, less power hungry / heat disappating chips. The fat has even already gone through at least 3 heat sink revisions (http://www.gamingblog.org/entry/iii-generation-heatsink-for-ps3-makes-its-grand-debut/)

I think slims will probably make less noise simply through virtue of using smaller scale & less power hungry parts. There will be less heat generated and therefore less to disappate. Less heat to disappate means fans can be smaller and maybe kick in later only when passive cooling doesn't work. On the flip side, a small case probably means less shielding so the noise may be more noticeable. And if the console weight is reduced it might cause vibration which makes it resonate through whatever the console rests on. And a reengineered BD drive could be louder too.

So judgement should be reserved until the slim appears. In theory it should be quieter but who knows?
Pretty much. At first I was all like "day one", but now I think it is prudent to wait and see if loudness is an issue with this upcoming model. Worst comes to worst, I'll make it a Hanukah present to myself. :D

nib95

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Wait man, wait. Do you really want to chance getting a loud PS3? It's up to you, but I say waiting would be most prudent.

This is stupid advice. If you thought like that all the time you'd be years waiting to own any of the next gen consoles, since after all the 360 (even the newest versions) are louder than the PS3. Does that mean you will wait until the even newer and more quiet 360 comes out too?

This...

picture.php

Imo is further evidence to suggest that if the Slim is in-coming any time in the very near future, it probably ISN'T going to be $299. My guess is at their conference, they will announce just the price drop. Once stock clears properly world wide, I'd imagine only then will they release the Slim and at that $299 mark. Otherwise it's coming out at a higher price. In any case, those of you who wanted the PS3 at $299, finally you have it. If the Slim isn't announced during this conference, I wouldn't wait around for it.

DrXym

nib95 said:
This is stupid advice. If you thought like that all the time you'd be years waiting to own any of the next gen consoles, since after all the 360 (even the newest versions) are louder than the PS3. Does that mean you will wait until the even newer and more quiet 360 comes out too?

I don't think its stupid at all. It's obvious that the second the slim hits shelves there will be many dozens of people in gaf & elsewhere sharing their opinion about its noise, build quality, performance etc. If noise is a major concern it wouldn't hurt to wait a few days or weeks to find out what people think.

HUELEN10

DrXym said:
I don't think its stupid at all. It's obvious that the second the slim hits shelves there will be many dozens of people in gaf & elsewhere sharing their opinion about its noise, build quality, performance etc. If noise is a major concern it wouldn't hurt to wait a few days or weeks to find out what people think.
Exactly. A few hundred USD for an investment to your hobby is not something that you should merely piss away, you have to know what to expect from said investment. That being said, I am totally optimistic, yet still will wait a bit.

HUELEN10

Thrakier said:
Will look like shit next to the old ones. :(
Yeah, if there is one thing that really sucks, is having a console's library have no unified design. It sucked with Dreamcast and Playstation, and it sucks now.

reKon

Banned
I'll be happy if I get what I want out of Sony, but if they pull a 180 on us and announce completely underwhelming and unexpected ( like the slim debut at $399 and as ONLY sku available, pink brand new psp 2 bundled with hannah montana, ps wand motion controller coming out with this christmas, god of war 3 being delayed until june) I think the gaming portion of the internet will explode and I will shit myself.

pswii60

Thrakier said:
Will look like shit next to the old ones. :(
I think that's only a temporary problem. Probably in less than a year's time there'll be far more consistency - and obviously 100% consistency in the new releases/chart sections.

That's if its not some Amazon dude getting overexcited with his image tools.

Seems like Sony could be doing a full-on brand refresh - something I was surprised MS didn't do after the worst of the RROD fiasco.

Puck

Banned
Place your bets now!

Slim PS3 announced at Gamescon?

Yes/no

----

i'm thinking no, later in the year. price drop on existing models now.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I hope they pull a last-minute swerve with EyePet and it turns out to be a horror-comedy game.

Right, it starts to chew off your hand, digitally editing it out of the picture, complete with a blood fountain... :lol Come to think of it, camera-based horror games could get really freaky. I could even see one using it randomly, just cut away from the game's visuals suddenly to a feed of yourself, with something behind you. It does a little bit of tracking beforehand to make sure it's actually pointed at a person, or else it doesn't try the trick.

So they're got for a relaunch of the PS3 of sorts, then. At least they're not doing it half-hearted, that's good. And $299 is the magic price, so long as they don't sabotage that model with unnecessarily missing features.

Spydy

Banned
I think the Slim is on it's way. All stocks of PS3 are being cleared for a Xmas run up. If Sony can get the Slim out with GT5 (a la PSPGo!), Sony could have a decent December.

reKon

Banned
So if Hasting's is going to have a price cut on the 8th of September, where does that leave the Slim in the US?

hastingsps3_01.jpg

A $300 slim (newest sku) and a $400 fat 160 gig...? Wtf

Vlodril

I like the new case redisgns. It actually shoves that its a blue ray more in your face (always wondered why they didnt mention it before in the case live the movies) and its clear. As for the slim i also think its going to go for 300. If they manage to update the firmware and release gt this year it will be a great move from sony (something of a change this gen :lol ).

noah111

Still Alive
Is that EyePet boxart official? If that's the new layout then im not too sure I like it... the "PLAYSTATION 3" spidey logo is still on there as well, so not sure what it even proves... but fixed for fun;

532w3.png

Also, it's looking more and more likely that the PS3 Slim will be indeed $399, with the 80GB phat at $299..

HUELEN10

Sentry said:
Also, it's looking more and more likely that the PS3 Slim will be indeed $399, with the 80GB phat at $299..
Pretty much. Due to something that just came up though, I will no longer be able to get the slim launch month anyways. More time to save up! As for spidey font, keep in min that it is part of the plastic case. For all we know future cases might be different.

I said it once and I will say it again. The PS3 80GB and 160GB for $300 and $400 and the Slim will be $350 to $400 and I am still leaning more towards $400.

PS3 80@ 30000 yen (which means I could get a used one probably for 25000 yen) equals me finally getting a PS3, so I sure hope Japan goes that way.

I'm not counting on a price drop on the Slim for the first little bit though.

shinshero

stuburns said:
PS3 Slim has to be $299, I'd be stunned if it's not. And I think they'll take the hit and do what it takes to clear the old stock, if that means $250/260 for the phats, so be it.

Nah. They can have the 80GB at $299 with the PS3 Slims being $349/$399. That way the PS3 is still at a $299 price-point during fall. And once the 80GB's are gone, they can drop the Slim to $299. It makes sense and its what they did with the 80GB when they came out (60Gb dropped to $499 and the 80GB was intorduced at $599 and then dropped to $499 when the the 60GB dissapeared.)

Darkangus

In Portugal (It's in EU lol) all the SKUs in the market are now on the 299€ price point.

You can´t find any PS3 80GB alone, all the versions are being sold with games, if you are lucky you can get the 80Gb with up to two games.

What you all make of that? :D

spwolf

Darkangus said:
In Portugal (It's in EU lol) all the SKUs in the market are now on the 299€ price point.

You can´t find any PS3 80GB alone, all the versions are being sold with games, if you are lucky you can get the 80Gb with up to two games.

What you all make of that? :D

so slim is coming at 399? Because doesnt make sense that it is priced the same as Phat.

spwolf said:
so slim is coming at 399? Because doesnt make sense that it is priced the same as Phat.

It now looks like Sony will market the Slim as the premier SKU, a similar tactic to the PSP Go. If this is the case, it's absolute suicide.

Darkangus

spwolf said:

Don´t know but if:

PS3 80Gb (old) + Games = 299€
PS3 ???GB (Slim) = 299€

It isn't so far fetched... I think its a good possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom