• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
spwolf said:
so slim is coming at 399? Because doesnt make sense that it is priced the same as Phat.
couldn't they just sell the remaining 80GBs at the 299 price point and then release the Slim the same price?
it's not like people would stop buying the fat PS3 is they're bundled with some nice games
Why would they clear the channels of the cheap 80GB with games simply to fill the store shelves up with a more expensive Slim? that's financially stupid.
edit: what he said ^^^

shinshero

Opus Angelorum said:
It now looks like Sony will market the Slim as the premier SKU, a similar tactic to the PSP Go. If this is the case, it's absolute suicide.

Eh...I don't think Sony is dumb enough to keep producing the money draining fat PS3 SKU.

Opus Angelorum said:
It now looks like Sony will market the Slim as the premier SKU, a similar tactic to the PSP Go. If this is the case, it's absolute suicide.

Why would you think that? The PSP Go is a premium system because Sony is going to keep the bigger PSP around. There's no reason for them to keep the bigger PS3's around. And going by the price drops and game pack ins that continue to pop up for the big PS3, it seems very much like retailers are trying to get rid of them as fast as they can.

shinshero said:
Eh...I don't think Sony is dumb enough to keep producing the money draining fat PS3 SKU.

I never suggested they would. Introducing the Slim (even temporarily) alongside the Phat is a mistake, in my opinion.

onken

Opus Angelorum said:

The premier SKU with no added features what-so-ever? The Go has a 16GB internal card and is designed to be a premium product. Slim is the total opposite, it's designed to be cheap.

Slim WILL launch at 299 euros. 80GBs are already 299 with bundled games and that won't change. The customer still has a viable choice, slim with no game or fat with 2 games at the same price point.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Isn't the whole point of the PS3 slim to have a cheaper produced unit which they sell for a cheaper price. What is this talk about no pricecut? Makes no sense whatsoever...

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
RamzaIsCool said:
Isn't the whole point of the PS3 slim to have a cheaper produced unit which they sell for a cheaper price. What is this talk about no pricecut? Makes no sense whatsoever...

What pisses me off is that Sony did the EXACT same thing with their two previous consoles, and it seems it doesn't enter the mind of some folks.

The 80GB is a premium, not the Slim.

AndyD

aka andydumi
HUELEN10 said:
B002K8Q93C.01._SX581_SCLZZZZZZZ_V233873371_.jpg

PS3 game packaging appears to have changed drastically!

Maybe that new style for PSN games only? Maybe this is one of those where you just DL from the network and this is just the voucher.

Opus Angelorum said:
I never suggested they would. Introducing the Slim (even temporarily) alongside the Phat is a mistake, in my opinion.

Waiting until all of the current PS3 units are gone, having a few weeks or months with nothing to sell and then introducing the Slim is a lot smarter, isn't it?

The current systems will be very scarce by the time it's introduced. Retailers are claiming their stock is on the low side right now, and that is previous to the price cut. Even some people here working at retailers have been saying this.

If Sony have cut supplies of 80GB and retailers have slashed the prices and bundled games with them then they definitely won't be around for long - which is why the PS3 Slim will hit so soon.

cakefoo

The 80GB at $299 and the 160GB with UC+Pain being $399 cause me to think a 120GB Slim must be less than the 160GB and more than the 80GB. So an initial $349 price makes sense, at least until the other sku's are cleared out.

noah111

Still Alive
RamzaIsCool said:
Sure, but then who the hell would buy a $400 fat PS3?? I know I would certainly take a Slim PS3 at $299 over a phat at $399. Either way the money goes to the same bloody place, doesn't really matter what is priced what, it can be flipped.

Question is will the 80GB or 160GB PS3 phat models be depleted by the time of early Sept? If not at least one of them will be staying alongside the 120GB slim.. then we have to ask is there only a 120GB slim model? Or will there be another storage capacity SKU of the slim... fucking questions.

AndyD said:
Maybe that new style for PSN games only? Maybe this is one of those where you just DL from the network and this is just the voucher.
No, IIRC EyePet is a retail disc game, not a voucher box, unfortunaltely.. (won't be buying it if it's not on PSN)

AndyD said:

Won't work as a download standalone because you need this Card thing (and I don't think Sony will put it on PSN and then just say "print the card yourself")

AndyD

aka andydumi
SolidusDave said:
Won't work as a download standalone because you need this Card thing (and I don't think Sony will put it on PSN and then just say "print the card yourself")

I understand. What I meant was get the card in the box, but the game is DL from PSN so its always available to play without disc swapping.

I could see them publishing more games this way, Wipeout would be a great candidate. Fat Princess...

-Winnie-

The "new" boxart style takes up too much vertical space, imo. The boxes are already shorter than normal DVDs, so less vertical space is the last thing they need.

Darkangus said:
In Portugal (It's in EU lol) all the SKUs in the market are now on the 299€ price point.

You can´t find any PS3 80GB alone, all the versions are being sold with games, if you are lucky you can get the 80Gb with up to two games.

What you all make of that? :D

Well, it could also be that the retailers are trying to get rid of these sku's by treating the 299 ps3 as a 'sale'. If Sony comes out and offers the slim at 299 the retailers will have no choice but to sell the remaining fat ps3's for cheaper.

Everyone ought to remember that Sony doesnt seem to be shipping the 80gb ps3's anymore. All remaining stock belongs to the retailers to do what they want. SONY will determine the price point by unveiling the slim at the price they will.

The current prices of consoles shouldn't be any indication to what they should cost coming up this Tuesday. I wouldn't hold too much water in what the retailers are charging now.

Massa

spwolf said:
so slim is coming at 399? Because doesnt make sense that it is priced the same as Phat.

The small stock of fats left by September will be sold for 299 with bundled games and the slim will be (I hope) 299 with no bundled games.

Philanthropist said:
Waiting until all of the current PS3 units are gone, having a few weeks or months with nothing to sell and then introducing the Slim is a lot smarter, isn't it?

The current systems will be very scarce by the time it's introduced. Retailers are claiming their stock is on the low side right now, and that is previous to the price cut. Even some people here working at retailers have been saying this.

Correct. They appear to be draining the remaining ps3 fats. This is a good move and should pave the way for the slim. Also, if someone is waiting for GREAT deals on the ps3 wait until after Tuesday and possibly into early september. I would expect after the announcement that retailers will get what they can for the fats and as a result we should see some great firesales.

shinshero

Opus Angelorum said:

They can't wait forever for the PS3 "phat" supply to dry up. I mean, Sony has not shipped a console for 3 months. Not to mention fall is a perfect opportunity to relaunch the PS3.

reKon

Banned
reKon said:
So if Hasting's is going to have a price cut on the 8th of September, where does that leave the Slim in the US?

hastingsps3_01.jpg

A $300 slim (newest sku) and a $400 fat 160 gig...? Wtf

I'm re-quoting myself because no one has explained this...

AndyD said:
I understand. What I meant was get the card in the box, but the game is DL from PSN so its always available to play without disc swapping.

Yeah ok, but I don't see them doing download-vouchers for games which you can't buy online.

reKon said:
I'm re-quoting myself because no one has explained this...

Well, I guess my question would be: are we seeing shortages of the 160gb too or just the 80gb?

Besides that question there could be a couple of explainations:

1.) the 160gb actually has A LOT more bells and whistles than the slim which would justify the $100 difference.

2.) If the 160gb stock is dwindling too this could be just a regular promotion and we will see much lower prices after tuesday.

Like I said in my above post I wouldnt count on current promotions to determine the price of the slim. I doubt retailers know too much more than the rest of us.

reKon

Banned
TheExecutive said:
Well, I guess my question would be: are we seeing shortages of the 160gb too or just the 80gb?

Besides that question there could be a couple of explainations:

1.) the 160gb actually has A LOT more bells and whistles than the slim which would justify the $100 difference.

2.) If the 160gb stock is dwindling too this could be just a regular promotion and we will see much lower prices after tuesday.

Like I said in my above post I wouldnt count on current promotions to determine the price of the slim. I doubt retailers know too much more than the rest of us.

What concerns me is the date. Starting September 8th? Why would a retailer do that?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
One theory I was entertaining was that Sony was retooling existing 80GB inventory to 160GBs that they could continue to sell, with games, for $399 while pitching the Slim at some point under that.

Would fit with the Ars mole's information that the 80GB would dry up but 160GB supply would remain unconstrained for the time being.

Reboxing 80GBs as 160GB bundles would let them keep selling those machines at $399 - i.e. without a massive extra loss.

abrasion

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

Do you even know how retail works or how things need to be kept in stock? of COURSE there's going to be the 2 products side by side for a short period.
Your post is just plain embarrassing to read.

reKon

Banned
gofreak said:
One theory I was entertaining was that Sony was retooling existing 80GB inventory to 160GBs that they could continue to sell, with games, for $399 while pitching the Slim at some point under that.

Would fit with the Ars mole's information that the 80GB would dry up but 160GB supply would remain unconstrained for the time being.

Reboxing 80GBs as 160GB bundles would let them keep selling those machines at $399 - i.e. without a massive extra loss.

where is the bundled game in that ad above?

reKon said:
What concerns me is the date. Starting September 8th? Why would a retailer do that?

Well, I doubt they know much more than we do. If they did more would be leaked. Like I said, this may be a normal promotion and it may be null and void after Tuesday.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
reKon said:
where is the bundled game in that ad above?

There's none, I think it'll be left to retailer's discretion to do whatever they need to do to keep the system's moving. The FYE ad has a uncharted bundle, other retailers have been bundling other games with the 160GB recently too. I don't think Sony is going to have one official 160GB bundle, I think they would like the flexibility to change deals with retailers easily and to have different offerings in different places depending on the response and whether machines are clearing at the pace they would like.

Cowie

TheExecutive said:

According to some pictures of Best Buy's inventory system, they don't have any more 80gbs on the way, but the flow of 160gbs seems unconstrained.

Cowie said:
According to some pictures of Best Buy's inventory system, they don't have any more 80gbs on the way, but the flow of 160gbs seems unconstrained.

If this is indeed the case and the price of the 160gb console remains 399 they would bundle the fat 160gb as the premium console with a game or two and sell the slim for 299.

If I really wanted to get batshit insane and the slim was completely stripped down they may be able to sell it for 249. It all depends on how much money they are saving.

Ettie

Tuesday cannot come soon enough. I just grin from ear to ear thinking about what this thread is gonna be like after the details come out.

Much as I hate to admit it, the 399 "premium" BS sounds like Sony of late. However this:

"It's targeting an early adopter, a tech enthusiast. We're hearing great things about the product. People are really excited about it. There's not much more to say. "

http://kotaku.com/5278359/sony-psp-go-priced-right-games-shipping-on-street-dates

Was their reasoning for the PSP Go. Are there really anymore early adopters for the PS3?

LegoDad

Sentry said:
Also, it's looking more and more likely that the PS3 Slim will be indeed $399, with the 80GB phat at $299..

How is that going to happen, if nobody has 80gb PS3's... I've said this three times now... the 80gb PS3's are running dry EVERYWHERE, and the US has tons of 160gb PS3's left... They aren't holding the 80gb's back for a price drop, they are holding it back for an entire new sku...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

noah111

Still Alive
caliblue15 said:
How is that going to happen, if nobody has 80gb PS3's... I've said this three times now... the 80gb PS3's are running dry EVERYWHERE, and the US has tons of 160gb PS3's left... They aren't holding the 80gb's back for a price drop, they are holding it back for an entire new sku...
You're right, but the thing is why the hell would Sony shelf a 120GB slim and a 160GB phat @ $299 and $399 respectively?

Unless they plan on an 80GB slim model at $299 and the 120GB slim at $350 instead...

Sentry said:
You're right, but the thing is why the hell would Sony shelf a 120GB slim and a 160GB phat @ $299 and $399 respectively?

Unless they plan on an 80GB slim model at $299 and the 120GB slim at $350 instead...

That all depends on what is included in the slim. If the slim is 120gb then the 160gb will be bundled possibly with U2 or GT5 or R&C. You get the picture...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think if you guys are not getting a PS3 'cause you think the slim is just around the corner, then you're going to be waiting for a long long time.

Wait for a price cut by all means but don't wait for a slim because it's not going to happen anytime soon...

LegoDad

Sentry said:

They might start bundling a different game, or 2 games with it.. So extra 40gb, a free game and a free download game... Game = $60 (if uncharted its only $30), Download = $10, extra 40gb = $50 (but to most people like $20)... ($120 of extra stuff for a $100 value.)

Its a value bundle... Most consumers will go with the $299 slim, as its the cheaper console.

But Personally Sony would have to offer 2 greatest hits titles or 1 greatest hit and a newer game like Uncharted and Killzone 2, to really make consumers even look at a 160gb or 120gb, at least in my eyes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom