• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

Sentry said:
Wow.. are you serious? I suggest re-reading the entire history of this thread, and if you still think it's all rubbish, then I must say you're a fool bro.

Would you like to bet a ban that it exists? You'll be proven wrong within a months time anyways.

This is the only way to resolve this issue.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
MassiveAttack said:
neogaf1.gif

LOL. It would be cool if it were true. I just don't think so. Not this year.
I think I'll be sticking to my launch 60Gb with BC for now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cyberheater said:
Really. Then show me the evidence. All i've seen are whole load of blurred pictures and photoshops...

There is no evolution here, you can't magically shrink everything into a smaller case at a cheaper price without having the history of die shrinks, combining multiple chip functions etc... It doesn't work like that.

You should have a look at the motherboard revisions since 06.

edit - here's one comparison...one of the older mobos, and one of the more recent ones. The one on the right isn't a million miles from the kind of size necessary to fit into form factor suggested by the leaked slim pics.

a3oahs.jpg

based on these new flyers and the old gamestop info i'd say the most solid bet is 299 80 to clear and lure people to stores, 349 slim as the new hotness/bait and switch since step one is the lure, 399 160 to clear those. this would still allow sony to not bleed as much and still drop price.

Nah, dude. Sony will launch the slim at $499 in order to clear the channel of 80gb and 160gb ps3's. Then once those are gone next summer, they'll drop the slim to $450 and bundle it with Lair.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
gofreak said:

edit - here's one comparison...one of the older mobos, and one of the more recent ones. The one on the right isn't a million miles from the kind of size necessary to fit into form factor suggested by the leaked slim pics.

a3oahs.jpg

I just came across this image a few minutes ago. They could definitely shrink this to ps2 slim pcb dimensions. Cooling is going to be critical and of course a half height bdrom is already available. The power supply would have to be external (like the slim). It's doable for sure. I just don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

Loudninja

H_Prestige said:
Nah, dude. Sony will launch the slim at $499 in order to clear the channel of 80gb and 160gb ps3's. Then once those are gone next summer, they'll drop the slim to $450 and bundle it with Lair.

I never thought of this brilliant :0

H_Prestige said:

Just keep posting ridiculous things because you can't believe that your theory isn't the only one people believe.

cyberheater said:
I just came across this image a few minutes ago. They could definitely shrink this to ps2 slim pcb dimensions. Cooling is going to be critical and of course a half height bdrom is already available. The power supply would have to be external (like the slim). It's doable for sure. I just don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

...and why don't you think it's going to happen very soon, now that you've gone from "it's years away because they haven't shrunk the dies" to seeing that they have in fact made great strides already?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well we're not talking about something that's the same volume as the PS2 Slim.

The machine in the leaked pics is probably halfway between a current ps3 and a ps2 slim, somewhere a bit smaller than an original ps2.

gofreak said:

a3oahs.jpg

The slim should be using 45nm chips, so maybe the mobo is even smaller now.

Superman00

Liverpool01
cyberheater said:
Really. Then show me the evidence. All i've seen are whole load of blurred pictures and photoshops...

There is no evolution here, you can't magically shrink everything into a smaller case at a cheaper price without having the history of die shrinks, combining multiple chip functions etc... It doesn't work like that.

You do know Sony is a huge electronic hardware company right? They spend billions on the R&D of the PS3 tech.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
hirokazu said:
WTF that's so NORMAL. And too much like Xbox 360... This better be only for PSN titles.

Eyepet = Blu-ray release only .

You can't just use the PS Family logo - what is this for, PSone? PS2? PSP? Oh... PS3!

there is big PLAYSTATION 3 on the blu-ray case

elrechazao said:
Just keep posting ridiculous things because you can't believe that your theory isn't the only one people believe.

Oh, trust me. I have no doubt that you actually believe in the theory of the $399 slim. I'm just having a little fun.

cyberheater

elrechazao said:
...and why don't you think it's going to happen very soon, now that you've gone from "it's years away because they haven't shrunk the dies" to seeing that they have in fact made great strides already?

Because I don't think Sony would spend the cash to develop it. They can't afford it.

cyberheater

Superman00 said:
You do know Sony is a huge electronic hardware company right? They spend billions on the R&D of the PS3 tech.

And at some point they need to make that money back. They need to reduce the cost of manufacture to the existing PS3 and sell it as cheaply as possible to increase the user base.

DrXym

cyberheater said:
On common sense. Sony should be spending all there effort and resource in trying to make the existing PS3 as cheap to manufacture as possible. When they have completed on all die shrinks, combined as many chips as possible and reduced cost to the barest minimum, well, then you'll see your slim. I think we talking a couple of years time.

Utter nonsense. You only have to look at the mainboard in the later PS3s to see how much space there was inside the big case. The mainboard in the white model is easily 2/3 the size of the original board. Reduced die sizes also mean reduced heat sinks, fans. And slim BD drives have been kicking around for some time too. It would be emminently achievable to package the whole lot in a smaller form factor. It also has the knock on effect of reducing packaging, materials, shipping and stocking costs since the weight & volume are lower.

In other words going slim is a cost saving all by itself.

Superman00

Liverpool01
cyberheater said:
Because I don't think Sony would spend the cash to develop it. They can't afford it.

What are you even talking about? You act like this is something that is just happening now. Hareware release don't work like that, you don't just make it and then release it right away. Once they get things working, they get the fabrication and everything down. This isn't something that just happening now. Sony most likely already got this down last year. Now they are manufacturing it.

cyberheater

gofreak said:
Well we're not talking about something that's the same volume as the PS2 Slim.

The machine in the leaked pics is probably halfway between a current ps3 and a ps2 slim, somewhere a bit smaller than an original ps2.

Yeah. I think your right on the size thing. Definitely doable but would it automagically make it cheaper to manufacture?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cyberheater said:
And at some point they need to make that money back. They need to reduce the cost of manufacture to the existing PS3 and sell it as cheaply as possible to increase the user base.

That's exactly what this would be doing. Any upfront r&d cost on this would be more than made up for by the manufacturing savings on this unit (and savings on shipment and storage etc. thanks to reduced weight and shelf footprint). Some of that design cost was already happening anyway on an ongoing basis with revisions to the internals.

Superman00

Liverpool01
cyberheater said:

Now I have no idea what you are trying to prove. This statement just basically cancel out your earlier statement.

cyberheater said:

The immense savings they will get by going down to 45nm chips and reducing the size of the chassis will more than make up for whatever r&d they had to do designing the slim. They really can't afford not to slim down the ps3 at this point.

ZZMitch said:
Can't we all just.... get along?

You would think so. Some people have already come back from the future, know the answers, and do nothing but post sarcastic shit in response to every post that disagrees with their theory.

Doc Evils

H_Prestige said:
The slim should be using 45nm chips, so maybe the mobo is even smaller now.

They went 90 > 60> and now 45nm

cyberheater said:

Tip: If you don't have clue how manufacturing works and I'll be kind here, please refrain from commenting.

H_Prestige said:
Oh, trust me. I have no doubt that you actually believe in the theory of the $399 slim. I'm just having a little fun.

Actually, I believe it's one of several possibilities. Have you ever worked at a corporation, worked with people on launching a product or a service, a price point for it? People within the organization even disagree on a strategy to take things to market. You seem to want to preclude all possibility that anything but what you decided "makes sense" is possible however long ago you decided it. That's your bag though, enjoy it man.

cyberheater

H_Prestige said:
The immense savings they will get by going down to 45nm chips and reducing the size of the chassis will more than make up for whatever r&d they had to do designing the slim. They really can't afford not to slim down the ps3 at this point.

Yeah. You have a point. I've gone from thinking that this is definitely not going to happen to thinking it's going to happen sooner rather then later.
The only think that bothers me is that this should be announced at a huge show like E3 and that has passed this year. What other event could they use to launch it?

cyberheater

Doc Evils said:
Tip: If you don't have clue how manufacturing works and I'll be kind here, please refrain from commenting.

I've been involved with high tech manufacturing across multiple sites and different companies for the last 12 years so, you know..

cyberheater said:
Yeah. You have a point. I've gone from thinking that this is definitely not going to happen to thinking it's going to happen sooner rather then later.
The only think that bothers me is that this should be announced at a huge show like E3 and that has passed this year. What other event could they use to launch it?

Sigh. Any of a number of them that are coming up this year and next, all of which have been discussed here. Very gracious of you to accept reality though :)

cyberheater said:

E3 is not the only big show of the year. A lot of announcements has been done in other shows, like Tokio Game Show or Games Convention.

Superman00

Liverpool01
cyberheater said:
I've been involved with high tech manufacturing across multiple sites and different companies for the last 12 years so, you know..

:lol , no offense, but from your post. You don't sound like you do.

cyberheater said:
That is the main reason for the theory there is going to be a slim! And i'll pre-empt your next question, the pro-slim theory is also based on the belief sony stopped producing the fat ps3 a while back so there's not many fats left in the distribution channels, backed up by the image of a slim chasse in may.

cyberheater said:

GamesCon in 3 days. Europe is Sony's largest market and GamesCon is the largest convention. It makes sense. We will all see on Tuesday.

THE:MILKMAN

SolidusDave said:
jokepost?

Nah........just taking the piss.............

In other news, asda in the uk have reduced the 80gig ps3 with 2 games(some are claiming 3) for £250.

If the high street stores are now getting rid of the ps3 fats, you know something is up......

deepbrown

cyberheater said:
GamesCom will be huge this year. What better place to announce a new console revision than in the region that has seen the most growth? Especially in PlayStation terms.

Cyberheater is like the Intermission Clown rolled out to keep us entertained until like 3 days time when the thing is fucking revealed and released within weeks :lol

edit: jesus christ he doesn't even know about gamescom! Read threads you clown! You might have half a clue whats going on then!

Raist

Banned
cyberheater said:

Oh, you mean, what they've done with the PS2 and started to do the the PS3 already?
Yeah, won't happen.
:lol

deepbrown

THE:MILKMAN said:
Nah........just taking the piss.............

In other news, asda in the uk have reduced the 80gig ps3 with 2 games(some are claiming 3) for £250.

If the high street stores are now getting rid of the ps3 fats, you know something is up......
Hm - I think there's been deals like that for ages. HMV has it at £290 with 2 games and a blu-ray.

Asda has all 360 and PS3 games at £25 or less at the mo, including new releases. Cheaper online, yes, but it is a store in the outside world.

slider

Credit to cyberheater. He revised his opinion. I can see how difficult it'd be to keep on top of developments in a huge thread.

Also, that Asda deal is frikkin great value. I might pick one up when I'm back in the UK for my bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom