• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepbrown

slider said:
Credit to cyberheater. He revised his opinion. I can see how difficult it'd be to keep on top of developments in a huge thread.

Also, that Asda deal is frikkin great value. I might pick one up when I'm back in the UK for my bro.
Am I your bro? :)

slider said:
Credit to cyberheater. He revised his opinion. I can see how difficult it'd be to keep on top of developments in a huge thread.

Also, that Asda deal is frikkin great value. I might pick one up when I'm back in the UK for my bro.

Yeppers. The lesson here? Don't waltz into threads and say something without previous knowledge of the subject or thread. You will usually get ripped to peices.

deepbrown

Raist said:
Oh, you mean, what they've done with the PS2 and started to do the the PS3 already?
Yeah, won't happen.
:lol
Don't think he's read that they're already at 45nm....with the 45nm not actually being put into a PS3 yet. Currently 65nm. Here's a guess...the 45nm debuts in the Slim.

Raist said:
The what?
Unlike Amazon or Play.com - where tax isn't an issue for them etc etc...:p

slider

deepbrown said:
Am I your bro? :)

Practically blood brothers dude! *awaits deepbrown PM...*

TheExecutive said:
Yeppers. The lesson here? Don't waltz into threads and say something without previous knowledge of the subject or thread. You will usually get ripped to peices.

:lol

Yeah, I was gonna mention that too but thought it best to try to try to put fires out.

Lots of people say uninformed shit. It's the tone that'll get you mauled though.

Peace out.

Massa

2mo78er.jpg

From http://*************************/2009/07/22/eyepet-looking-for-a-good-home-this-october/

KillJade said:
This is a better vid to show what each system sounds like in regular operating conditions. The PS3 is actually deadly silent.

But if it's warm in the room, you can expect the PS3 to be louder than any of the other systems, at least that's it is for mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvBsDUWm_sk&feature=related

My 60gb does indeed get quite loud, even though it starts out dead silent. Although when it was new it was always silent. In my case I think it has more to do with killzone 2 online chaos combined with 80-90 degree weather with no AC in my house.

I did get two jasper 360s though. Both of them were excruciatingly loud as soon as they were powered on. And this is just scrolling through the UI without any disc in the tray.

yurinka

HUELEN10 said:
B002K8Q93C.01._SX581_SCLZZZZZZZ_V233873371_.jpg

PS3 game packaging appears to have changed drastically!
The Playstation/PSN logos part common to all games lokk really, really better than the current shitty design full of inconsistences.

The part particular to Eyepet is really horrible. Someone should say this monkey "winners don't use drugs":lol

KillJade

Banned
H_Prestige said:
My 60gb does indeed get quite loud, even though it starts out dead silent. Although when it was new it was always silent. In my case I think it has more to do with killzone 2 online chaos combined with 80-90 degree weather with no AC in my house.

I did get two jasper 360s though. Both of them were excruciatingly loud as soon as they were powered on. And this is just scrolling through the UI without any disc in the tray.

Yeah, the 360 is loud right from the get-go, but the PS3 is louder by the end of the race.

H_Prestige said:
Please tell me this is the real box art. That new one looks so dull.

Wut?

This one looks dull compared to the other one, much more going on. If the new look is standard though, it needs PS3 wrote on the bar somewhere. On the Blu-ray case is not distinct enough.

spwolf

KillJade said:
This is a better vid to show what each system sounds like in regular operating conditions. The PS3 is actually deadly silent.

But if it's warm in the room, you can expect the PS3 to be louder than any of the other systems, at least that's it is for mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvBsDUWm_sk&feature=related

it has nothing to do with temp in the room but dust blocking your vent from working properly,... clean it up while you can.

cyberheater said:
Yeah. You have a point. I've gone from thinking that this is definitely not going to happen to thinking it's going to happen sooner rather then later.
The only think that bothers me is that this should be announced at a huge show like E3 and that has passed this year. What other event could they use to launch it?

I feel like we've already been through this: there was way too much inventory in the channel for them to announce a new model. That's why we've had all these bundles recently: out with the old, in with the new.

offshore

If Sony are going to change the PS3 font, I wonder if they'll change the PS3 game load screen with the spidey font.

Sony should bring back the PS1 game boot up screen...that was just fucking epic.....after all, they've brought back the old "Play-Stay-Shun" V/O.

cyberheater said:
Yeah. You have a point. I've gone from thinking that this is definitely not going to happen to thinking it's going to happen sooner rather then later.
The only think that bothers me is that this should be announced at a huge show like E3 and that has passed this year. What other event could they use to launch it?

Sony has been pushing the European market heavily especially @ gameshows.

oneHeero

cyberheater said:
:lol :lol :lol

Your tag is great, fits you perfectly and now I can justify putting you on my ignore list for being so fucken stupid lol.

I've been involved with high tech manufacturing across multiple sites and different companies for the last 12 years so, you know..

:lol :lol :lol Sure man, whatever you say.

I guess one xbox fanboy felt he could come in and make a splash, I'd like to thank cyver here for making this thread fun again! And he hasnt responded again, lets keep it that way cyber.

spwolf

somuchwater said:
I feel like we've already been through this: there was way too much inventory in the channel for them to announce a new model. That's why we've had all these bundles recently: out with the old, in with the new.

its not the problem of old inventory but rather that Slim just started production... if Slim was ready for production, it would have launched last year and phat production would have been adjusted for that...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
offshore said:
If Sony are going to change the PS3 font, I wonder if they'll change the PS3 game load screen with the spidey font.

Sony should bring back the PS1 game boot up screen...that was just fucking epic.....after all, they've brought back the old "Play-Stay-Shun" V/O.

PS family logo with that sexy music you mean

oh fuck yeah ..I support this .

spwolf said:
it has nothing to do with temp in the room but dust blocking your vent from working properly,... clean it up while you can.

I think it's both. The ps3 is going to heat up anyway if it's in a hot room, causing the fans to kick into higher gears faster. And if there happens to be dust clogged in there, the fans will have to work even harder.

I gotta say, though, based on that video, the wii has the nicer slot loading drive. It's a lot smoother than the ps3. Hopefully the slim's new BD drive is similar to that.

It's not should, it is.

Careful man. You can't say that unless you've traveled through time.

deepbrown

oneHeero said:
:lol :lol :lol

Your tag is great, fits you perfectly and now I can justify putting you on my ignore list for being so fucken stupid lol.

:lol :lol :lol Sure man, whatever you say.

I guess one xbox fanboy felt he could come in and make a splash, I'd like to thank cyver here for making this thread fun again! And he hasnt responded again, lets keep it that way cyber.

For using that, makes me put you on my ignore list.

nib95 said:
It's also the point that many who are claiming Sony would be stupid to launch the slim at $399 are missing.

The point that your posts are missing is that the only reason to create a slim PS3 in the first place is to help drive a significant new movement of sales for the system. Being skinny has almost no marketing benefit in and of itself; it's the idea of connecting a new, appealing slim look with other factual improvements to the brand that in conjunction creates a new association in the mind of the potential purchaser, hopefully replacing the "PS3 is overpriced junk" image that is holding sales back right now.

Trying to get people to pay a premium for the Slim would do exactly what Sony doesn't want: strengthen the image that the people over there at Sony HQ are fucking idiots who have no idea how to manage a console.

You can't just think about this in terms of "what are all the conceivable ways Sony could position a Slim, even the dumb ones that wouldn't accomplish anything," as if the Slim is just coming into existence magically and Sony has to decide what to do with it; you have to think, what strategy on Sony's part would call for the creation of a Slim PS3? The answer, which people on GAF have been quite cognizant of for the whole year+ they've discussed the matter, is "put it out there with a pricedrop and a branding tweak in order to get a big hit of positive publicity and renewed interest all at once, and ride that into the holiday season with heavy marketing of your exclusive titles."

KillJade said:
Yeah, the 360 is loud right from the get-go, but the PS3 is louder by the end of the race.

But most importantly, both of those motherfuckers are hella fucking loud!

oneHeero said:
I guess one xbox fanboy felt he could come in and make a splash

Glass houses, stones, etc.

Massa

offshore said:

They could do that in a firmware update.

offshore said:

I approve of this idea. PS1 had the best start up ever.

spwolf said:
its not the problem of old inventory but rather that Slim just started production... if Slim was ready for production, it would have launched last year and phat production would have been adjusted for that...

I think it's a bit of both. Even if the Slim had been ready for production, in order to release it, Sony would've had to drop the price of the phat and take a 3/400 million dollar hit. I think it's just how console updates go - they're this weird balancing act of clearing out your old models without losing too much money on the inevitable markdown.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
travisbickle said:
That is the main reason for the theory there is going to be a slim! And i'll pre-empt your next question, the pro-slim theory is also based on the belief sony stopped producing the fat ps3 a while back so there's not many fats left in the distribution channels, backed up by the image of a slim chasse in may.

Interesting. I hope they've made enough 60Gb PS3 with BC for future failures/repairs unless the slim will feature a robust software BC.

spwolf

H_Prestige said:
I think it's both. The ps3 is going to heat up anyway if .

yeah but with clean ps3 it will never go up to highest fan mode... my launch unit was quiet for first 1.5 yr regardless of what i did to it, and then it started going to highest mode right away.... when i finally opened it up, there was a ton of dust inside, it is amazing that it didnt burn up :D - i have same issue with other computers, i have to clean my laptop every 2 months of it will scream higher than ps3 :)

spwolf

somuchwater said:
I think it's a bit of both. Even if the Slim had been ready for production, in order to release it, Sony would've had to drop the price of the phat and take a 3/400 million dollar hit. I think it's just how console updates go - they're this weird balancing act of clearing out your old models without losing too much money on the inevitable markdown.

it is not a bit of both... Sony knows when Slim was supposed to enter production hence they can easily adjust phat production previous to that. If Slim was to launch last year, then phat production would have been adjusted accordingly just like it was now. Inventory planning is not an rocket science and thats why you dont see many phats around anymore.

onken

cyberheater said:
Interesting. I hope they've made enough 60Gb PS3 with BC for future failures/repairs unless the slim will feature a robust software BC.

I dare say they don't just toss the old ones in the trash, they'll probably just repair them.

Kinan

H_Prestige said:

Well, its known that 45nm chips are already being manufactured since April, and have not yet appeared in any existing ps3 model.

Duke Togo

offshore said:

That would actually be pretty cool.

H_Prestige said:

Yeah careful...because things that have been confirmed for months are the same as speculating on things that will come in the future and are completely unconfirmed at this point.

seriously dude....

Kinan said:
Well, its known that 45nm chips are already being manufactured since April, and have not yet appeared in any existing ps3 model.

yup

Himuro said:
When the fuck is this going to come out so I can buy one? My 60 gb ps3 was used when I bought it and it's pretty much dying I think. It has trouble reading discs and can't connect to psn.

This shit better cost 299.

3 days. Pray for the announcement.

offshore

Station42 said:
damn the psn globe logo is so 1998...

It could be better...it would look better in black and white, like the PS logo looks better in b/w, especially now that they've started putting b/w logos at the start and end of trailers, the blue globe looks out of place.

Put IMO it's not the logo but the name that needs changing. "PlayStation Network" just sounds bland and pretty unimaginitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom