• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

PhlivoSong said:
I sold my PS3 about a year ago and I'm in a better financial place now to be able to buy a new one. Did I read correctly that I won't be able to use my old hard drive on my new PS3 and keep the data on it intact? Before I sold it I took out the hard drive that was in it and replaced it with a different drive. What if I connect the old drive as a USB drive and transfer everything over? This would be crushing if I lost all of my saved games. Not only did I have all of my PS3 saved games on that drive, but I also have all of my PS1 and PS2 saved games on it.

hm, you should have used the backup function?

PhlivoSong said:
I sold my PS3 about a year ago and I'm in a better financial place now to be able to buy a new one. Did I read correctly that I won't be able to use my old hard drive on my new PS3 and keep the data on it intact? Before I sold it I took out the hard drive that was in it and replaced it with a different drive. What if I connect the old drive as a USB drive and transfer everything over? This would be crushing if I lost all of my saved games. Not only did I have all of my PS3 saved games on that drive, but I also have all of my PS1 and PS2 saved games on it.

Your data is lost. It's only any good going back into the console you took it out of.

PhlivoSong said:
Sorry, the internal hard drives are encrypted with a key from your system. No other system can read that data.

Half the things people bash the PS3 + PSP for are complete media hype. The high price, no GAEMZ, PSn SUKS, etc...

90% of the time I don't even bother dropping knowledge. Anyway the page before this features some of the worst photoshops this thread has seen yet! Step it up if you're going to fake something people.

Phreak47

NinjaFusion said:
but you can restore a backed up drive to another console.... right?

I have not done this myself, but I have been told that you can do it and use your content on the new unit *IF* you remembered to deactivate the old console first, while you were still using it. This info might need some clarifying or correcting though.

CrayzeeCarl said:
Sorry, the internal hard drives are encrypted with a key from your system. No other system can read that data.
But if you backed up your old system using the ps3's utility you can restore the data to a new system... Right.

Beau beaten

Phreak47 said:
I have not done this myself, but I have been told that you can do it and use your content on the new unit *IF* you remembered to deactivate the old console first, while you were still using it. This info might need some clarifying or correcting though.
You can have up to 5 consoles activated for game content; 1 console for video content. So if all you do is game and you haven't game-shared too much, you won't need to deactivate the old one, but it's a good idea, in case you some how use up your 5 activations.

DoctorWho said:
But if you backed up your old system using the ps3's utility you can restore the data to a new system... Right.

Yes. Although some people have said copy-protected saves won't transfer over. Copy-protected saves will transfer over when you backup before upgrading your HDD however.

CrayzeeCarl said:
You can have up to 5 consoles activated for game content; 1 console for video content. So if all you do is game and you haven't game-shared too much, you won't need to deactivate the old one, but it's a good idea, in case you some how use up your 5 activations.
How do you deactivate?

Facism

Valkyr Junkie said:
Yes. Although some people have said copy-protected saves won't transfer over. Copy-protected saves will transfer over when you backup before upgrading your HDD however.

I wish, if they had to lock saves, it was to PSN accounts and not consoles.

dolemite

Anth0ny said:
Rest assured, tomorrow, GAF will crash.

But there will be megatons. And meltdowns.
It'll probably be safer to watch the show, wait for a bit, and then come in and inspect the wreckage.

Egmont

Neo Member
You know, the announcement is all fine and dandy, but what I really want is some damn closure for that PS3 that was found and then sold in the Philippines.

How could they just ship it off to the Middle East and never tell us anything else about it? How could they!? Selfish bastards!!!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
-Pyromaniac- said:
Half the things people bash the PS3 + PSP for are complete media hype. The high price, no GAEMZ, PSn SUKS, etc...

Um... how is "the high price" media hype? It launched at $599. That's a lot of money. Sony made a big mistake and we continue to see this mistake every month in NDP numbers.

The PS3 does have the best 1st party linuep, as demonstrated by metacritic scores. The metacritic scores come from... the media. The media lavishes well deserved praise on PS3 exclusives such as K2, Uncharted, Resistance, Motorostorm, etc. etc.

There isn't any media bashing going on here.

RSTEIN said:
Um... how is "the high price" media hype? It launched at $599. That's a lot of money. Sony made a big mistake and we continue to see this mistake every month in NDP numbers.

The PS3 does have the best 1st party linuep, as demonstrated by metacritic scores. The metacritic scores come from... the media. The media lavishes well deserved praise on PS3 exclusives such as K2, Uncharted, Resistance, Motorostorm, etc. etc.

Talking about the PSP Go when I said high price.

Egmont

Neo Member
RSTEIN said:

Well, there are those articles calling the PS3 "a failure" and whatnot, although whether or not they're correct has doubtless been the topic of much, much debate.

And as for MC liking the games doesn't necessarily equate to liking the system; they could still think that Sony mishandled the general things while saying that developers have done some good work with it.

Edit: Also, new couple of pages, new posting of the

Doomsday Clock!

th_wickedcoolstuff_2044_179793782.jpg

Now with less than 24 hours!

Sony iz teh doom3d, blu ray is failzzz, sony the new segaaa, etc etc...

To the general population of gaf articles like that are stupid. But that's because the general population of this place is smarter than the people "out there" who eat that stuff up and create huge discussions over it like it has any merit. That's all I meant, I know my post was confusing.

Back on topic: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35420/PS3-price-drops-begin

Egmont

Neo Member
The PS2's slim edition was called "Slimline." Considering that we The Fans probably won't stop calling it the PS3 Slim, that's the name that will probably stick, whether or not Sony uses it.

gogogow

About PSone, yeah, even says so on the system itself, whereas the PS2 has PS2 and Playstation 2 on the system. But in the corner of the PS2 box it says TWO.

53470.jpg

No45

Sentry said:
Err, no. Only system that ever got called PSnumber is the reiteration of the PS1.
Hmm, I seem to recall it being the PSTwo. But you might be right, perhaps that's just the name I'm used to seeing it referred to as. >_<

D4Danger said:
They won't change the name. It will just phase out the original PS3.
I agree. I think it's just more needless and counter-productive confusion for the market to have more than one name for the system unless there is an actual feature/performance-based-difference between it and the other models.

noah111

Still Alive
gogogow said:
About PSone, yeah, even says so on the system itself, whereas the PS2 has PS2 and Playstation 2 on the system. But in the corner of the PS2 box it says TWO.
http://i.techrepublic.com.com/gallery/53470.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Where does it say PSTwo? PSOne, ok, PS2 with "two" in the bottom corner of its box, not to be seen in any logos, game covers, or on the system itself, means pretty much nothing. It'll be PS3, simple as that.

[QUOTE=D4Danger]They won't change the name. It will just phase out the original PS3.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
MightyHedgehog said:
I agree. I think it's just more needless and counter-productive confusion for the market to have more than one name for the system unless there is an actual feature/performance-based-difference between it and the other models.

It also gives Sony a small opportunity to re-brand themselves.

new console, new price, new Sony. Maybe people will stop and look at the PS3 and see what it has to offer instead of walking past with their preconceived notions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom