• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
demosthenes said:
Yes it does.

As for the price. Sony said they reduced costs by 70% putting the cost of the system around $300. A lot of that cost savings have probably come from a smaller system. If it's around $300, Sony could sell it at almost breaking even for $300.

If it cost 800 to make at first, then a 70% saving would put it at 240. So they might even have hardware profitability on the current fats right now.

Puck

Banned
elrechazao said:
Complete derailment, but does madden ever chart in europe at all, like in the top 20? I know fifa sells all right in the us, but nothing like europe. Any numbers anyone has offhand?
Madden sells well in
Australia
because it is the only thing we have to our national sports in NRL/AFL/Super 14s.

Hey, speaking of the craziness of this thread... Here's an article on Crave by an author who says he just doesn't see the big deal about the PS3 Slim. He suggests that amount of hype is out of line with the actual importance of what many assume is going to be announced.

His reasoning:

Meisinger continued, "For others, it's the simple concept of something smaller, and possibly cooler--current PS3s run pretty warm. Smaller processors and external power bricks are expected to bring the system down in size. It'd also make it more convenient for travel or just sitting in the entertainment center. There's also the rumor of the re-inclusion of backwards-compatibility with (PlayStation 2) games."

To me, those are all interesting reasons to look forward to a possible new PS3, but nothing to get as worked up as a lot of bloggers seem to be. After all, the PS3 has been on the market for almost three years, so I have to wonder whether someone who really wanted a PS3 but hasn't yet pulled the trigger would finally break down over a potential $100 price break.

More likely, slow sales aside, there are simply a ton of PlayStation fans out there, and many of them simply love the idea of Sony coming up with something that could finally help the company improve its position in the console wars. If you're not a video game player, or if you are but not a serious one, you may not realize how passionate and partisan some gamers can be. Yankees vs. Red Sox? That's peanuts compared with the fervor that a good PlayStation vs. Xbox argument can bring up.

So, given that there are millions of gamers for whom the sun rises and sets with Sony, anything that company can do to rev the console wars up is worth the energy that's been expended so far on behalf of the PS3 Slim rumor.

"You may (ask), 'why should care, I already have a PS3,'" Johnson wrote. "I am personally excited that more people will get to enjoy the PS3, including some of my friends who weren't able to afford one (previously). And this may be Sony's chance to catch up with the Xbox 360."

For me, it doesn't make sense. To be sure, I'm not one of the partisans, but I just can't help thinking that even a newer, slimmer PS3 is still going to be a PS3. Which means it'll be more expensive than its rivals, and have a games library which, while including some impressive titles, is generally seen as less impressive than what's available for Xbox.

Some may argue that a lower-priced PS3 will lead to a larger consumer base, which in turn will result in more, and better, games. But that's a lot to hope for, given the struggles going on in the video games industry right now.

Note: Not looking to bring console wars into the thread. While I'm not sure I agree, I thought this more mainstream perspective was interesting - if nothing else, it gives us a glimpse of what some in the mainstream tech press are thinking.

HUELEN10

Shurs said:
I've never understood the multiple SKU haters. You don't like having options?
Options aren't a problem, what is a problem is when one of the options is one that has blatant disadvantages. A lot of people just want one good SKU.

somuchwater said:
Hey, speaking of the craziness of this thread... Here's an article on Crave by an author who says he just doesn't the big deal about the PS3 Slim. He suggests that amount of hype is out of line with the actual importance of what many assume is going to be announced.
He's right about a lot of that... but nothing stops GAFHYPE™ when it's in full swing. :lol

somuchwater said:
Hey, speaking of the craziness of this thread... Here's an article on Crave by an author who says he just doesn't the big deal about the PS3 Slim. He suggests that amount of hype is out of line with the actual importance of what many assume is going to be announced.

His reasoning:

Aside from the stupid "xbox has more games" (or is perceived to), I can't say I disagree with him.

Shurs

HUELEN10 said:
Options aren't a problem, what is a problem is when one of the options is one that has blatant disadvantages. A lot of people just want one good SKU.

The BC ship has long since sailed, if that's what you're referring to. Now I don't see any disadvantages of multiple SKU's.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That whole "Xbox has more games" bit is far less relevant now and is stupid to be even discussing it as both consoles have a great selection. Let's not regress to banter from 2 years ago now!

@@

dojokun

Banned
Shurs said:
I've never understood the multiple SKU haters. You don't like having options?
Options that are legitimate choices for the target market because they actually cater to different needs = good.

Options that are only legitimate for a select few and are only in existence so the company can legally advertise a lower price when in reality almost no gamer can go with that option alone = bad.

In case you're wondering, I'm referring to 360s that have no harddrive being on the market just so Microsoft can say they have the cheapest console. In reality, you're gonna need a hard drive. But that doesn't stop MS from marketing that bullet point and acting like it's legit.

somuchwater said:
Hey, speaking of the craziness of this thread... Here's an article on Crave by an author who says he just doesn't see the big deal about the PS3 Slim. He suggests that amount of hype is out of line with the actual importance of what many assume is going to be announced.

His reasoning:

Note: Not looking to bring console wars into the thread. While I'm not sure I agree, I thought this more mainstream perspective was interesting - if nothing else, it gives us a glimpse of what some in the mainstream tech press are thinking.

Wow. Thats got to be one of the worst articles i've read in a long time. Still just a PS3? I cant believe he actually said that. I hate games journalists, they need to be struck from the annals and not allowed to write anything.

Mikey Jr.

Just a question here.

If the slim gets revealed for $299, what the hell does SONY do with all their 160gb sku's?

Here's what I think.

160gb gets dropped to $299, slim introduced at $349.

It's the most logical assumption. Thats why you see all those "new low price!!! $299!" ads starting in September or whatever. Then after a few months, probably before MW2, and the 160gb's get depleted, drop the slim to $299 and that becomes the main sku.

pseudocaesar said:
Wow. Thats got to be one of the worst articles i've read in a long time. Still just a PS3? I cant believe he actually said that. I hate games journalists, they need to be struck from the annals and not allowed to write anything.

What exactly was wrong with his point about the slim itself that's so outlandish that he should have his laptop confiscated?

spwolf

pseudocaesar said:

not to mention that $299 PS3 would not be more expensive than its rival. Smells like system warz.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
somuchwater said:

he's right but as I said a few pages ago it gives Sony a small opportunity to re-brand themselves.

Maybe people will give the PS3 a second look if it's something new and (more importantly) cheap(er)!

DeadGzuz

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Just a question here.

If the slim gets revealed for $299, what the hell does SONY do with all their 160gb sku's?

Here's what I think.

It's the most logical assumption. Thats why you see all those "new low price!!! $299!" ads starting in September or whatever. Then after a few months, probably before MW2, and the 160gb's get depleted, drop the slim to $299 and that becomes the main sku.

Why can't they both be $299? The 160GB has a bigger HD,UC and Pain.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Mikey Jr. said:
Just a question here.

Here's what I think.

Personally I think it will be a temp price drop.

$299 for current PS3 and $399 for Slim, it would be easily for Sony to recover some of the money lost if they announced the Slim to be $399.

Then over time, the slim will get pushed down to $299

elrechazao said:
What exactly was wrong with his point about the slim itself that's so outlandish that he should have his laptop confiscated?

He states that, even if they do release a slim, its still just a Playstation 3 so it wont sell anyway cos it will be more expensive and have less games. Thats what he said, if you cant find whats wrong with that then you need to be assessed for some form of retardation tbh.

Mikey Jr. said:
Just a question here.

Here's what I think.

Sell them for $399 until they're gone. Then replace them with higher capacity slim model (250gb?).

Regarding the article, yeah, I don't really agree with it. Most people seem to be excited about the slim potentially being $299 first and foremost. Slimness is a secondary concern. And I think that would be kind of an interesting experiment because it would be the first time a ps3 costs the same as a comparable 360 model. When it was $50 more than a comparable 360, sales were generally even.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
pseudocaesar said:
He states that, even if they do release a slim, its still just a Playstation 3 so it wont sell anyway cos it will be more expensive and have less games. Thats what he said, if you cant find whats wrong with that then you need to be assessed for some form of retardation tbh.

It's a valid point. If somebody was looking at a PS3 and 360 then a Slim isn't going to make much difference. A price cut will.

spwolf

elrechazao said:

well personal opions are always that, so there is nothing wrong with it... But to suggest that PS3 is still PS3 and that 25% price drop is meaningless as people who really like it, would have already gotten it - regardless of price, is pretty silly.

But sales will show if that would be true or not.

pseudocaesar said:

oh ... k

Mikey Jr.

DeadGzuz said:
Why can't they both be $299? The 160GB has a bigger HD,UC and Pain.

I'm going to go ahead and say that 90% of people don't give a shit about a bigger HD. Hell, I don't. I'm still rocking the 40gb model and have no intention to get a bigger drive. But a brand new model of a system would entice me to pick one up. Just saying that between two options, I don't think the 160gb would move at all. Plus UC is gonna be like 30 bucks if people really wanted it.

g35twinturbo said:

$299 for current PS3 and $399 for Slim, it would be easily for Sony to recover some of the money lost if they announced the Slim to be $399.

399 is a lot! 350 would get the hype train moving without losing too much steam. A 399 new model would deflate all that hype.

Beowulf28

g35twinturbo said:

Well don't the big three make most of their money from software sales? The whole reasoning of selling at a lose is to get the console into the hands of as many customers as possible then recoup the losses with game sales. Wouldn't Sony stand more to gain by releasing the slim at $299?

DeadGzuz

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
I'm going to go ahead and say that 90% of people don't give a shit about a bigger .

So that leaves 10% left who do. I"m sure there are people who won't mind the size if it comes with +40GB + $40 of games for the same price. It's not like there are that many 160GB out there to sell.

Beowulf28 said:
Well don't the big three make most of their money from software sales? The whole reasoning of selling at a lose is to get the console into the hands of as many customers as possible then recoup the losses with game sales. Wouldn't Sony stand more to gain by releasing the slim at $299?

By that logic they'd stand to gain more from having price cut 2 years ago to 299 too, but "sell more consoles through lower price" isn't the only consideration they have to deal with.

Egmont

Neo Member
Mikey Jr. said:
399 is a lot! 350 would get the hype train moving without losing too much steam. A 399 new model would deflate all that hype.

Yes, let's not forget bout those 349$ stickers from Gamestop...

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Beowulf28 said:

You would think more systems=more software sales, but can you honestly say you wouldn't want to be making money on each console sold? That's additional to what you are already making on software.

But then you look @ it this way, if a $299 slim= still making profit on each system sold then it's a win win. Personally I think it can fall either way but looking at the past is why I said my original thought. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning folks. Be there or be Square.

For me, it doesn't make sense. To be sure, I'm not one of the partisans, but I just can't help thinking that even a newer, slimmer PS3 is still going to be a PS3. Which means it'll be more expensive than its rivals, and have a games library which, while including some impressive titles, is generally seen as less impressive than what's available for Xbox.

That's something that I really can't understand. If the PS3 drops to 299, it won't be more expensive than its rivals, if we count the features.

Microsoft has done a great work with the arcade. Even without hard drive (that don't allow to use half of the features of the 360), the important is the price. The impression is that the xbox costs 199. But, if we look for a console with similar features than the PS3, we have to go to the elite (specially now that the 360 pro is discontinued) that costs 299.

Sony should make a SKU without online connection (even without wifi and ethernet), without hard-drive, without even HDMI. And sell it for 199$. Then, the overall impression will be that the PS3 drops his price to 199, even if that SKU is completly useless if you want to do something more than playing singstar... without singstore.

spwolf

elrechazao said:
By that logic they'd stand to gain more from having price cut 2 years ago to 299 too, but "sell more consoles through lower price" isn't the only consideration they have to deal with.

we already know what the pricing is in europe... why is there need to speculate all over again about what is already known?

DangerousDave said:
That's something that I really can't understand. If the PS3 drops to 299, it won't be more expensive than its rivals, if we count the features.
By that same logic, the 360 has been outselling the PS3 at a higher price (check the chart). OMG!

It doesn't work that way. Sticker price > Consumer education.

This thread has really blown up and I am now more interested. I'd like to buy a Ps3, but I'm really waiting for a price reduction (moreso than a slim).

We will soon see..

Mikey Jr.

camaroace said:
Downtime in the past hasn't led to much before, but we will have to wait and find out.

Yeah, but RIGHT at the conference. Maybe they want everyone off their PS3's and watching the conference, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom