• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt really think much of this until today when I saw this.

090522003.jpg

Anyone notice that??
The small PS3 next to xbox360 logo, the logo has changed to the exact same font and logo that is on these new PS3 boxes and console.
Up until recently Sony have been using PLAYSTATION 3 spidermanfont, so seems very odd that the lawyers got involved and now Square have blown the lid off the slim PS3 logo.
So i'm now backing the slim PS3 with a rebranding and slim PSP, slim is the new black.

glaurung

Family Fry said:

*pic*

Anyone notice that??
The small PS3 next to xbox360 logo, the logo has changed to the exact same font and logo that is on these new PS3 boxes and console.
Up until recently Sony have been using PLAYSTATION 3 spidermanfont, so seems very odd that the lawyers got involved and now Square have blown the lid off the slim PS3 logo.
So i'm now backing the slim PS3 with a rebranding and slim PSP, slim is the new black.

Does that huge ass wall say COMING MARCH 17th 2009?

Never mind, I am stupid. That's the old poster for GTA.

____

Family Fry said:

[im]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/05/090522003.jpg[/img]

Anyone notice that??

much clearer, here

Scotch

Family Fry said:

090522003.jpg

Anyone notice that??
It's still the Spiderman font, so it's not exactly the same as on the rumored slim PS3, though I still think it's real.

Rolf NB

Bearillusion said:
There is a DS3 next to it on the box.
A montage may not be to scale. If you're using the box image, or the shot of the upper shell, it's safer to rely on the known width of the disc slot.
The image we were talking about has no reference object at all.
Family Fry said:

<useless image>
Can you please post an image that actually shows what you claim to see on it kthxbai.

____

glaurung said:
The Infinity Ward page still shows the Spiderman font logo, unless I am selectively blind.

Or was that some clever ruse to make me watch the new trailer for CoD?

Yea, before the lock I had replied.

It was something along the lines of "I know, and what I meant by "much clearer" was to show that it WAS still the spider-man font, but his point of the re-branding from PLAYSTATION 3, to now PS3 (with a much smaller "playstation 3" under it) still stands, I guess.

Loudninja

____ said:

It was something along the lines of "I know, and what I meant by "much clearer" was to show that it WAS still the spider-man font, but his point of the re-branding from PLAYSTATION 3, to now PS3 (with a much smaller "playstation 3" under it) still stands, I guess.

Yeah, that is different,first thing I notice.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
____ said:

This is a very good point IMHO.

Family Fry said:

Anyone notice that??

in 3rd party adds in magazines, Sony did raise concerns of their Logo's visibility with a long Spider-Man font spelling out the whole words "Playstation 3" in 12 characters vs the 360 and Wii's simple easy to spot 3 character logos

Sony going PS3 with a 3 character logo is a good + for them to augment their visibility recognition in 3rd party adds

a facelift re-branding is the smart thing to do IMO with a catchy 3 character logo

____ said:

hasnt it always said "ps3" on the case spine? hardly new.

ps3_game_cases_09_qjpreviewth.jpg

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just saw a commercial for inFamous in the theater yesterday watching Terminator Salvation, they used the small PS3 logo/font as well at the end of the trailer.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Thrakier said:
Wat? Why should anyone want this?

:|

that's the only really for ps3 install is due to the ps3 x1 blu ray drive.

hence, speed it up, faster load times, no mandatory installs.

Bearillusion said:
I have 7,8 and 9. 8 and 9 work but 7 doesn't.

your crazy, it does work.

I have it and was playing it the other day.

thaOwner

Nolan. said:
I would like a slim... but I like having BC so I doubt I'd get rid of my 60g... Kind of conflicted.
Watching the Bonus Round yesterday, I'd be surprised as hell if both the PS3 slim was announced as E3 as well along with
PSP GO which seems like it's definitely a lock for E3.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
androvsky said:
That picture's been posted, I thought it was a comparison of the launch motherboard vs. the current 80GB 65nm board. And the picture of the assembled slim was shopped by someone in this thread. :)
the picture is a comparison between the CECHA (COK-001) and CECHH (DIA-001) rev motheboards.

alos, the magic-box are idiots.

____

MobiusPigeon said:
hasnt it always said "ps3" on the case spine? hardly new.

ps3_game_cases_09_qjpreviewth.jpg

On spines, sure. On game advertisements, be it TV spots, trailers, paper/mag ads...or even the multiple revisions of the PS3 box, never.

At least not until recently.

So what's Sony going to use? The 'PS3' in the spidey font or the 'ps3' on the slim boxes? It would be strange if they used both. They need to pick one and just stick with it.

____ said:
On spines, sure. On game advertisements, be it TV spots, trailers, paper/mag ads...or even the multiple revisions of the PS3 box, never.

At least not until recently.

maybe its just sony's way of freshening up the ps3 brand? i think you guys are looking too deep into it.

____

H_Prestige said:
So what's Sony going to use? The 'PS3' in the spidey font or the 'ps3' on the slim boxes? It would be strange if they used both. They need to pick one and just stick with it.

I think they're first going to break their "PLAYSTATION 3" use down to "PS3" (spidey font), and then release the PS3slim, with "PS3" on the console/box in that new (ugly) font.

SuperPac

Also the new inFamous TV spot uses this shortened "PS3" logo at the end with the old PS1/PS2-era "Play-Sta-Tion" robotish voice at the end. Noticed this last night (commercial was played during Adult Swim). It is still the Spidey font but without the metal accents to it that made it look exactly like the film logo.

____

MobiusPigeon said:
maybe its just sony's way of freshening up the ps3 brand? i think you guys are looking too deep into it.

:lol That was my point to begin with.

I think the original discussion sprung from people saying the PS3slim pics were 100% fake because of the box/console saying "PS3" instead of "PLAYSTATION 3".

I (and others) were just noticing that they're changing from the full wording to a shorter one nowadays anyway. So it didn't seem so farfetched. The new text however, is kind of ugly.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
____ said:
I think they're first going to break their "PLAYSTATION 3" use down to "PS3" (spidey font), and then release the PS3slim, with "PS3" on the console/box in that new (ugly) font.

imo ...this

30c4ygj.png

is million years better than spidy font

____

Totobeni said:
imo ...this

30c4ygj.png

is million years better than spidy font

Really? I don't like it at all.

I mean, it's not that I don't like it so much as I just think the spidey font looks better.

I think it just looks more mature and bold, and the new font looks kind of kiddy-ish...if that makes any sense.

Not that it matters. I'm not buying a new one until mine dies. (crosses fingers. I've had to get mine replaced twice already ;_; )

The spiderman font was a terrible mistake!

BTW... assuming this Ps3 Slim is true how and when Sony can officially show this thing? At E3? Probably but in this case Sony can't announce any price cut because doing this way the momentun don't last longer (they need to gain momentum in november and not now).

thelurkinghorror said:
The spiderman font was a terrible mistake!

BTW... assuming this Ps3 Slim is true how and when Sony can officially show this thing? At E3? Probably but in this case Sony can't announce any price cut because doing this way the momentun don't last longer (they need to gain momentum in november and not now).

It takes a while for news of a price drop/slim ps3 to get around.

I'd imagine if they want as many people as possible to hear about the new unit and/or price, E3 is the place to announce it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
____ said:
I think it just looks more mature and bold, and the new font looks kind of kiddy-ish...if that makes any sense.

125px-Microsoft_XBOX.svg.png

XBOX_360_LOGO.png

original spidy-like Xbox font was more " mature and bold " too but also unrememberable , the new Xbox 360's "kiddy" Xbox font is way way more catchy for the eyes , your eyes see it first in ads , same as the " Wii " font .

I think Sony aim for that .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom