• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisis

Banned
All of you looking heavily at the "PS3" logo are doing yourself a disservice there. That logo is being used because it's much easier to see in advertisements when you can have less letters but still get the idea across. Whenever they spell out "PLAYSTATION 3" unless it's a PS3 exclusive title it's usually too small to see among the tons of little logos at the bottom of the advertisement or on television.

____

Totobeni said:
125px-Microsoft_XBOX.svg.png

XBOX_360_LOGO.png

original spidy-like Xbox font was more " mature and bold " too but also unrememberable , the new Xbox 360's "kiddy" Xbox font is way way more catchy for the eyes , your eyes see it first in ads , same as the " Wii " font .

I think sony aim for that .

I do actually like the XBOX 360 font. >_<

EXGN

thelurkinghorror said:
The spiderman font was a terrible mistake!

BTW... assuming this Ps3 Slim is true how and when Sony can officially show this thing? At E3? Probably but in this case Sony can't announce any price cut because doing this way the momentun don't last longer (they need to gain momentum in november and not now).

They won't announce it at E3. They'll probably cut the price of the current SKUs at E3 and announce the slim this holiday season, similar to what they did in 2007(axe the price of the 60GB, announce the 40GB in November).

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
____ said:
I think it just looks more mature and bold, and the new font looks kind of kiddy-ish...if that makes any sense.
Wouldn't that be the point? It's softer and more inviting to an audience outside of "edgy" young males. Think Wii.

leroidys

I don't foresee them waiting long very long to get this out. They need to clear out current PS3 stock, and since the cat is out of the bag, the best way to do that is a price cut.

However, I think a lot of people would be pissed if they made a price cut, and then raised the price back up for the PS3 slim, and I don't foresee them selling the slim at a lower price point anytime soon.

Also, E3 is the biggest gaming event of the year, if Sony is really going for a relaunch of their console, I don't think they would want to miss this opportunity to announce it. It seems like the press it would garner would be equal to millions of dollars of advertising for a fall reveal. (Not that they wouldn't advertise it then anyway, but it just makes so much more sense to do a big E3 reveal.)

Of course this is just all my own armchair gamer speculation. Almost every business decision Sony has made this gen has completley baffled me, so it will likely be the opposite of what I think.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
leroidys said:
However, I think a lot of people would be pissed if they made a price cut, and then raised the price back up for the PS3 slim, and I don't foresee them selling the slim at a lower price point anytime soon.

if it's like this , 80GB old PS3 for $299 or 350 ( until stock sells out ) and 120GBPS3 Slim for $400 , then why anyone will be angry about that ? if you bought old PS3 it has less the storage and it's big compared to 120GB and new smaller hardware , also it's not like they will rise the price , it's just like selling 2 different SKUs for two different prices .

Dunlop

leroidys said:
I don't foresee them waiting long very long to get this out. They need to clear out current PS3 stock, and since the cat is out of the bag, the best way to do that is a price cut.

Something is afoot as we are getting a lot of bundle deals at the bigbox stores here in Canada, last week there was a 80GB + Socom (with headset) and Ratchet and Clank for $399. It has tobe one of the first times I have seen a PS3 bundle..ever

leroidys

Totobeni said:
if it's like this , 80GB old PS3 for $299 or 350 ( until stock sells out ) and 120GBPS3 Slim for $400 , then why anyone will be angry about that ? if you bought old PS3 it has less the storage and it's big compared to 120GB and new smaller hardware , also it's not like they will rise the price , it's just like selling 2 different SKUs for two different prices .

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I meant that if they cut the price on the large SKUS to sell stock
UNTIL the slim comes out, then the slim comes out at a higher price. It seems to me that they need to get the thing on the market relatively soon, because people don't buy a lot of consoles in the summer anyway, and I think that in this economy, knowing that a new model is coming, they would see a HUGE drop in sales unless they dropped the price.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Machado said:
only one week away from e3 and still no word about this?

nothing else has leaked? geez
what was leaked in the first place?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Machado said:
information about a possibe slim ps3 maybe???
where? all i've seen so far is conjectures based on more conjectures. nothing we've seen so far qualifies as a 'leak' in my book.

those chinese 'leak' shots are anything but. if you're going to go through the trouble of leaking something on the net, you could at least make it more believable. what's been 'leaked' is ufology in full force.

where are the manufacturing tidbits? where are the lithography node news? a console does not build from the lid in.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kibbles said:
Because it doesn't exist. Why wouldn't they reveal it at E3?

If they were releasing it later in the fall and didn't want to cut price ahead of that, they'd wait until the last minute to announce it.

blu said:
those chinese 'leak' shots are anything but. if you're going to go through the trouble of leaking something on the net, you could at least make it more believable.

They look perfectly believable to me. The info you talk about it isn't necessarily stuff a leaking assembly plant worker would know anything about.

Rolf NB

I think the big versions of those images are resized and "enhanced" after the fact, that's what makes them so noisy and by extension, really fishy. I think the smaller ones might be the originals though. They look plausibly shitty for a simple camera, but not deliberately fucked up to hide imperfections caused by doctoring around.

Mrbob

My prediction.

Price drop comes at E3 for current 80GB models. No mention of the PS3 slim at all. Inventory depletes on the 80 gigger, new slim model announced in September for October release and Sony gets a 2nd sales boost right before the holiday season.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mrbob said:
My prediction.

Price drop comes at E3 for current 80GB models. No mention of the PS3 slim at all. Inventory depletes on the 80 gigger, new slim model announced in September for October release and Sony gets a 2nd sales boost right before the holiday season.

That's what I think as well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
leroidys said:
Do you think they'll introduce the slim at the lower pricepoint though, or raise the price back up when the slim comes out?

Raising the price would be a really stupid move. They'll probably release it at whatever price they drop the 80GB down too... hopefully $299...

Totobeni said:
imo ...this

30c4ygj.png

is million years better than spidy font

I agree. It's so much more appealing... smooth and sleek like the PS2 logo - the way the PS3 logo should have been from the beginning. I find the spiderman font to be kind of tacky and EXTREEEME! if you know what I mean.

Kagari said:
Raising the price would be a really stupid move. They'll probably release it at whatever price they drop the 80GB down too... hopefully $299...

It SHOULD be $299 but I think they'll drop it $50 to $349.

I just can't see the PS3 costing the same as the X360 Pro.

DrXym

Kagari said:

My expectation is that while the old stock and new stock co-exist that only the old stock will have a price drop. The new stock won't, or rather it will be bundled with stuff to justify a higher price point. Once the old stock gets cleared out (in time for christmas) the slim will be unbundled and available at the lower price.

DrXym

Kibbles said:
Because it doesn't exist. Why wouldn't they reveal it at E3?

Of course it exists. It doesn't serve Sony at all to have potential customers sitting on the fence waiting to buy a slim on the basis of phony pictures. They would have emphatically, categorically denied those photos a week ago if they were fake.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
KernelPanic said:

Would be a good move though, you can't deny that.

____

Catalix said:
Wouldn't that be the point? It's softer and more inviting to an audience outside of "edgy" young males. Think Wii.

Yeah, from a business standpoint it makes sense I guess. I just don't like the way it looks.

I guess that's why I don't run Sony. :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Kagari said:
Would be a good move though, you can't deny that.

yup ..no one can deny that , but so far Sony against selling Ps3 with a lose .

thing is , Sony need/must know they are a publisher too , the bigger and the best one on their system too , but now because of their system price they are losing their own Software sales too .

because they kept their " sell PS3 with minimum lose " strategy , they don't sell games too , because that strategy actually don't work ( you still selling with lose , system don't sell well and because that software don't sell too ).

if Sony don't want to cut at least $50 from a fucking discontinued PS3 model ( they were losing way way more on BC units anyway ) for better 1st party games sales , then they are buttfucked in their brains by a monkey .

I guess they should " sacrifice " what left of the old model for the good of their own games .

____ said:
Really? I don't like it at all.

I mean, it's not that I don't like it so much as I just think the spidey font looks better.

I think it just looks more mature and bold, and the new font looks kind of kiddy-ish...if that makes any sense.

Not that it matters. I'm not buying a new one until mine dies. (crosses fingers. I've had to get mine replaced twice already ;_; )

What the hell do you do to your ps3 to warrant two replacements?!

Flavius

KernelPanic said:

What they're doing here is rather drastic and in many aspects, unprecedented.

They're not doing this in preparation of a $50 price drop. It's going to come in under $300.

Zen

Banned
Well I'm going to state that I believe the PS3 Slim is real. We'll see in a week I suppose. :lol

From the Infamous thread:

Holy shit just saw the commercial on TvTropolis (Seinfeld) and it did have that PS1 voice at the end, it also ditched Playstation 3 for PS3. Sick.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15994780&postcount=2127

Totobeni said:
yup ..no one can deny that , but so far Sony against selling Ps3 with a lose .

thing is , Sony need/must know they are a publisher too , the bigger and the best one on their system too , but now because of their system price they are losing their own Software sales too .

because they kept their " sell PS3 with minimum lose " strategy , they don't sell games too , because that strategy actually don't work ( you still selling with lose , system don't sell well and because that software don't sell too ).

if Sony don't want to cut at least $50 from a fucking discontinued PS3 model ( they were losing way way more on BC units anyway ) for better 1st party games sales , then they are buttfucked in their brains by a monkey .

I guess they should " sacrifice " what left of the old model for the good of their own games .

I'm not saying taht you're right or wrong, obviously Sony is probably looking at projected sales of lower priced hardware versus currently first party sales and third party royalty revenues, but had Killzone 2 launched along side a 299 PS3 it easilly would have sold more... but that's fairly obvious.

Septimus

I didn't really have a problem with the spiderman font, didn't really think it was overly great either. But the new PS3 in the spiderman font (like in recent magazine ads and the inFamous commercial) looks great to me.

Blackface

Banned
Totobeni said:
125px-Microsoft_XBOX.svg.png

XBOX_360_LOGO.png

original spidy-like Xbox font was more " mature and bold " too but also unrememberable , the new Xbox 360's "kiddy" Xbox font is way way more catchy for the eyes , your eyes see it first in ads , same as the " Wii " font .

I think Sony aim for that .

From a design point, you have it backwards. The original Xbox font is not mature and bold and never was suppose to be(just look at action figure box's, similar style). The new one is suppose to be minimal, sleek and mature.

Wollan

Discussed in the inFamous thread but seems like Sony is going back to it's roots with the latest PS3 advertising.

Instead of the evil PLAYSTATION 3 Darth Vader ending to TV Promo's, the inFamous one ends with the shortened 'PS3' logo and the nostalgic (and great) robot voice going 'Play-Stay-shon'.

inFamous TV ad @ Viddler

Looks like they are rebranding the PS3 back to the PS1/PS2 glory days...

Wollan

Not sure what that is but this is the spoken line which was in a ton of PS1 and PS2 tv-ads.

edit: Japan continued to use that voice but not in the west.

Goldrusher

Wollan said:
Not sure what that is but this is the spoken line which was in a ton of PS1 and PS2 tv-ads.
For PS2, they clearly said PlayStation TWO. In fact, in Europe, a girl screamed it at you.
And in that inFamous commercial, you clearly hear the same as in this Japanese ad, only without THREE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVCem3JBMg&#t=12s

Oh well, I guess we'll have to live with the fact there's absolutely zero communication and unity between SCEA, SCEE and SCEI. They even had unique system specs at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom