• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
PuppetMaster said:
If someone really did steal unannounced & unreleased samples of a high profile product like the PS3, they would not just put it up for display out of the box in open market and let random tourists come up to touch it and shoot videos that end up on youtube.

This is simply an impossible scenario even in Asia.
Do you think they would really know this is a new product and are up to date on the latest GAF news? Look at the shit they're selling the back, some random shitty clothes, fans. They probably just get it and sell it.

inner-G

Banned
This thing looks like it should be sitting next to a Chintendo Vii.

If it is real... I'm glad I didn't wait for a slim :lol

HUELEN10

My God, I don't know what to believe. I know there is absolutely no way in hell that the Slim is a fake, but is this vid legit? Damn it GAF! I want this thing bad.

Stink

PuppetMaster said:
If it was viral they would have shot a more flattering video with better picture quality. No marketing exec would have approved that mess.

No, not initially. Expect each successive 'scoop' to get better in quality, and threads like this to get a few thousand hits each time they hit.

-x.Red.x-

PuppetMaster said:
If it was viral they would have shot a more flattering video with better picture quality. No marketing exec would have approved that mess.
that's exactly what they want you to think...

cvxfreak

Revolutionary said:
It looks real enough, but why didn't he buy it if he was in the market for a PS3 anyway?

He could've been posting impressions from home!

Would be nice, but that's more than many Filipinos make in a year...

DieH@rd

Banned
wotter said:
taken from here:

quote:
So here's the deal.

I was walking around this underground marketplace in the Philippines, hoping to get a good deal for a PS3. Lo and behold out of nowhere i saw the PS3 slim. It looked EXACTLY like the rumored photos. I asked the guy and he said it was brand new and that our country had it first. I have a video and a few details.

What I know:

- It has a 120GB HDD.
- Two USB Ports
- The 'touch' button for eject and on seems to be gone, and there are now these random buttons.
- The ps icon is now white instead of colored.
- No more card reader
- PLAYSTATION 3 is gone, rather its PS3. It says this on the bottom as well for some reason.
- The guy was selling it with a Dualshock 3. Whether it is compatible is another matter.
- The guy was selling it for 20,000 pesos, which is roughly £250, which is roughly $410
Pic:
2crueis.jpg

Movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUBn...2eb5cff937c057bc43a2c&feature=player_embedded

real or not gaf?

Bump for new page.

Stink

Sage00 said:
Why would Sony release a viral video to stop people buying PS3s?

People who don't know better won't know better.

People who do know better can now choose to wait, if they think a slim PS3 is in any way superior to the existing system.

HUELEN10

Stink said:
People who do know better can now choose to wait, if they think a slim PS3 is in any way superior to the existing system.
If it would be the same 400 USD and has a non-touch eject button, and is non-glossy, then it is already better in my book. :D That, and an external power supply please!

jts

...hate me...
HUELEN10 said:
If it would be the same 400 USD and has a non-touch eject button, and is non-glossy, then it is already better in my book. :D That, and an external power supply please!
Why don't you like nice things?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
if the slim is as shitty as the newer psps ill pass...

what a piece of shit the psps are compared to lunch units (well in therms of finish and build quality) the newer ones have such a god damn awful plasic feel about them ...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
HUELEN10 said:
If it would be the same 400 USD and has a non-touch eject button, and is non-glossy, then it is already better in my book. That, and an external power supply please!

what ? why ?

HUELEN10

jts said:
Why don't you like nice things?
1. touch-eject rarely worked for me due to wearing gloves some of the time, so mechanical is preferred IMO. That and if your hands are greasy or a little moist, it doesn't work all the time from my experience. Not only that, but it it way too easy to accidentally activate IMO, when you don't want to of all times! Basically, I hated it on my 60GB, and I don't want it anymore. Tactile buttons FTW.

2. Glossy is nice, but I prefer matte by a longshot. Looks sturdier IMO, even though it is just aesthetics.

3. I love external power supplies for 2 reasons. If they ever fuck up, I can replace them without having to do anything with the unit, and if I ever move, I just buy one specifically made for that region.
g35twinturbo said:
that video and screenshot makes me think it's a PS3 knock off, why would this lonely merchant have it?
Stolen goods? You never know what people are capable of stealing these days...

Dot50Cal

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
that video and screenshot makes me think it's a PS3 knock off, why would this lonely merchant have it?
Theres a PSP there too, so chances are this is a place that sells real stuff too.

Synless

HUELEN10 said:
1. touch-eject rarely worked for me due to wearing gloves a lot of the time, so mechanical is preferred IMO.
2. Glossy is nice, but I prefer matte by a longshot.
3. I love external power supplies for 2 reasons. If they ever fuck up, I can replace them without having to do anything with the unit, and if I ever move, I just buy one specifically made for that region.

You play games wearing gloves?

near

Gold Member
I'm pretty convinced this is real, and I'm sure this isn't viral. Looks like another leak that Sony can't contain. Leipzig is at the end of the month, and the original leak had the European box design. This retail outlet may have gotten their shipment a little early and then decided to start selling early because they thought they were smart. Shame Sony can't keep there legs together. :p

SonComet

HUELEN10 said:
Wow, you have described everything I don't like about it :(. I was kind of hoping it would be glossy still, have the touch buttons (since they are never used now that everything can be done on the controller and look much nicer), and keep the internal power supply as it's much cleaner than having a bulky external one. I also am hoping that the rotating PlayStation symbol would return, but if this is real then they stuck with what looks like a painted on white one that appeared in the first leaked shots (and maybe you can't position it vertically anymore). But I'm not really complaining since I got my ps3 mid 2007 and now that I don't like the look of the new one it will save me some money to not swap it out.

HUELEN10 said:
1. touch-eject rarely worked for me due to wearing gloves some of the time, so mechanical is preferred IMO. That and if your hands are greasy or a little moist, it doesn't work all the time from my experience. Not only that, but it it way too easy to accidentally activate IMO, when you don't want to of all times! Basically, I hated it on my 60GB, and I don't want it anymore. Tactile buttons FTW.

2. Glossy is nice, but I prefer matte by a longshot. Looks sturdier IMO, even though it is just aesthetics.

OK the glove thing and the fact that your hands are moist when touching your electronics kind of scare me. :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
HUELEN10 said:
and if I ever move, I just buy one specifically made for that region.

you can't

if you use european external power supply for Xbox360 instead of the US one , say goodbye to your poor system .

with Wii you can use universal adapter ( they are available now on Amazon ) , but for Xbox360 you still need huge ass 110-220v or 220-110v converter to use with your US one .

HUELEN10

Unregistered007 said:
IF SONY has any common sense left they will use the PS2 font style for the PS3..
From the "leaked box", these pics, and the PSP Go box being shown, this seems extremely unlikely.
Totobeni said:
you can't

if you use european external power supply for Xbox360 instead of the US one , say goodbye to your poor system .

with Wii you can use universal adapter ( they are available now on Amazon ) , but for Xbox360 you still need huge ass 110-220v or 220-110v converter to use with your US .
Yep, Wii is handy like that, but wasn't PS2 the same way? If PS2 was, wouldn't PS3? I mean, I don't want to assume anything, but wouldn't it make sense?

jts

...hate me...
HUELEN10 said:
1. touch-eject rarely worked for me due to wearing gloves a lot of the time, so mechanical is preferred IMO. That and if your hands are greasy or a little moist, it doesn't work all the time from my experience. Not only that, but it it way too easy to accidentally activate IMO.

The internal power suply of the PS3 is universal, if you ever move you just have to buy a cheap power cable. Mine already came with 3 different cables with different plugs.

It's the same type of cable any PC uses so I even have a couple around the house next to different TV sets so when I feel like moving the PS3 to my room or to the living room etc, I just take the console.

It is a better solution by all means.

I'll let you go on point 1 and 2 though.

CoG

jts said:
No feather touch is fail. There goes the coolness of the slim.

Feather touch sucks. Cant remember how many times my wife dusted the PS3 and it turned on. She closes the door to the entertainment system and I come home to the PS3 in vacuum cleaner mode.

HUELEN10

CoG said:
Feather touch sucks. Cant remember how many times my wife dusted the PS3 and it turned on. She closes the door to the entertainment system and I come home to the PS3 in vacuum cleaner mode.
Don't remind me. After 5 minutes of being one, mine kicked into gear 4 every time. So glad I sold it, so bring out the slim baby!

And feather touch does suck.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
CoG said:
Turn off the switch at the back. Save the planet!

jts

...hate me...
CoG said:
The thing has a power switch on the back, you or your wife should put it to good use! :p

edit: late, beaten, etc.

.GqueB.

Banned
HUELEN10 said:

Why are you wearing gloves? And why are your hands greasy and moist?

HUELEN10

.GqueB. said:
Why are you wearing gloves? And why are your hands greasy and moist?
I never said my hands were greasy or moist, but if you must know, I have Dermatitis on my hands, so sometimes I need to put on a prescription creme lotion, so I put on surgical gloves when the time calls for it so I don't grease up my stuff. :D (Good golly Molly, that was a long sentence!)

.GqueB.

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
I never said my hands were greasy or moist, but if you must know, I have Dermatitis on my hands, so sometimes I need to put on a prescription creme lotion, so I put on surgical gloves when the time calls for it so I don't grease up my stuff. :D (Good golly Molly, that was a long sentence!)
...well that explains that.

Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom