• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
Tiduz said:
now i dont believe it at all anymore, lol hardware leak to a shoddy store, yeah right.

Yeah well that smells like BS, however the leak which came weeks before the PSP go reveal showed the exact same box style with the same fonts and stuff. I really doubt it's a fake.

People complaining about lack of gloss, feather touch buttons and shiny metal rims being absent should probably buy a PS3 right now if they want such 'premium' fittings. You don't get to complain about current price as well as the machines current sexyness getting gutted in the slim.

The PS3 Slim is going to be a brutal piece of slimmer, but unimpressive looking plastic because thats what it takes to get those manufacturing costs down all the way to that all important price-cut price the internet and general public have demanded since Day One. You can't have your fucking cake AND snort it, after all.

Thrakier

The thing is when you owned a 60GB every other ps3 model looks worse. I love my 60gig and I want to keep it, but it doesn't want to live on. There were so many people talking bad things about it and now it has a weak heart. I resurrected it twice, maybe I will try to do it a third time...but it wants to rest. :(

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I emailed my cousin who lives nearby where that video was taken from. Hopefully he'll respond and take a look for himself.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
:lol +Holy fucking shit @ HUELEN10's hand

damn

Tiduz said:
now i dont believe it at all anymore, lol hardware leak to a shoddy store, yeah right.

well , Killzone 2 leaked to Middle East where no one buy PS3 or it's games ( because you can't run backup/illegal copies shit on it ) a month or so before the official release .

Everything is Possible

Defensor said:
I emailed my cousin who lives nearby where that video was taken from. Hopefully he'll respond and take a look for himself.

good stuff , but it's very late now in Philippine .

JoJo13

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
People complaining about lack of gloss, feather touch buttons and shiny metal rims being absent should probably buy a PS3 right now if they want such 'premium' fittings. You don't get to complain about current price as well as the machines current sexyness getting gutted in the slim.

The PS3 Slim is going to be a brutal piece of slimmer, but unimpressive looking plastic because thats what it takes to get those manufacturing costs down all the way to that all important price-cut price the internet and general public have demanded since Day One. You can't have your fucking cake AND snort it, after all.

Don't you get it?

These people don't ever want to get a PS3, they are just making up excuses at this point not to get one.

At first it was $399 or bust.

Then it was $299 or bust.

When $299 happens, the excuse will turn into "gloss finish and touch buttons or bust"

FFS, it plays games folks. I don't know why you care so much about how a stationary device is going to look. PS3 slim will look pretty slick in an entertainment center.

Wait, people actually think the pic on the last page is real? :lol :lol :lol

EDIT: Just saw the video. I'm banking on it being a knock off. If you plug that thing in it probably loads up 1000 different variations of pong.

JoJo13 said:
Don't you get it?

These people don't ever want to get a PS3, they are just making up excuses at this point not to get one.

At first it was $399 or bust.

Then it was $299 or bust.

When $299 happens, the excuse will turn into "gloss finish and touch buttons or bust"

FFS, it plays games folks. I don't know why you care so much about how a stationary device is going to look. PS3 slim will look pretty slick in an entertainment center.

Oh I know this, dude. I think if the PSP Go had even been announced with a cheaper RRP than the 3000 there'd still be the "missing features OMG" crowd. But several years into the PS3 with retail deals come and gone, impressive bundles and an ever growing exclusive library of completely awesome games, when the Slim does hit at that all important price cut, the people that will still be complaining are going to be branded even more obviously than before in my eyes. Just seeing the rumblings of it here in this thread narrows my eyes.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
re all the coolness talk here: if the slim shaved off 30-40W of power consumption from the current 130W that'd make it way 'cooler' in my book.

Forsete

SecretBonusPoint said:

+1

cakefoo

2u47z3b.jpg

Translates to 6:19am Eastern.

dolemite said:
If it's already available in stores why is it not on Ebay? Sounds fake.

If it was already in stores, sitting behind counters and waiting to be released, we'd have cell phone pics from every game store on the planet.

EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah, those hands are definitely fake.

I didn't say that the actual video was altered. I'm saying that the product in the video is not the fabled "PS3 Slim" that GAF is getting their panties so wet about.

SecretBonusPoint said:

Actually, I don't like these features of my current PS3. I want it to not be glossy so it didn't collect as much dust, I would rather have real buttons, and I think the 20 gig is the best looking PS3.

The problem I have with this report is that if the thing was real, this site would have had no problems shelling out the money to actually buy the damn thing so they could do a legitimate photo analysis/dissection of the thing to get 10 shit tons of traffic to their site.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
OldJadedGamer said:
Actually, I don't like these features of my current PS3. I want it to not be glossy so it didn't collect as much dust, I would rather have real buttons, and I think the 20 gig is the best looking PS3.

That's one of the coolest thing about the PS3 hardware. I'd be totally disappointed if they remove those from slim.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
New PS3 continues looking like an alien computer or piece of vertical architecture, which I definitely like. Too bad about no touch buttons, but it's understandable as that functionality is all accessible from controller and the buttons are not really used that much anymore. Doesn't surprise me they'd replace them with something cheaper.

OldJadedGamer said:
Well, there you go. But you are not one of the people complaining about those same things missing on PS3 Slim that he was addressing.

TTP said:
That's one of the coolest thing about the PS3 hardware. I'd be totally disappointed if they remove those from slim.

I don't mind turning it on, but I hate holding my finger over it waiting for it to turn off. I'm just lazy. One button to turn on, one button to turn off.

Lord Error said:
Well, there you go. But you are not one of the people complaining about those same things missing on PS3 Slim that he was addressing.

Oh, I know... just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Thrakier

TTP said:

Yeah. True. The buttons look like shit. Sadly almost every 60gig owner will end up with a slim in the long run. :D So better get used to it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OldJadedGamer said:
I don't mind turning it on, but I hate holding my finger over it waiting for it to turn off. I'm just lazy. One button to turn on, one button to turn off.
It will probably still power down the same way, much like PS2 did. You'll have to push and hold the button down.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lord Error said:
New PS3 continues looking like an alien computer or piece of vertical architecture, which I definitely like. Too bad about no touch buttons, but it's understandable as that functionality is all accessible from controller and the buttons are not really that useful anymore. Doesn't surprise me they'd replace them with something cheaper.

I'm not sure how much cheaper real buttons are compared to touch ones. I mean, I have disassembled my YLOD'ed system and there are just 2 bended metal stripes under those buttons. You basically make contact with the actual board via those touch sensors.

Adding normal buttons would require a more "complicated" switch, which I assume is more expansive.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
OldJadedGamer said:

I see. Well, I always switch it off via the PS button and mainly use the eject one manually.

Valkyr Junkie said:
The problem I have with this report is that if the thing was real, this site would have had no problems shelling out the money to actually buy the damn thing so they could do a legitimate photo analysis/dissection of the thing to get 10 shit tons of traffic to their site.

I think it's just someone who posted on their board, not the site's owner. Edit: he says he's going back next week to get a better video.

Raistlin

Hope those buttons aren't real. While I can live without body capacitance controls, if they are to be removed I would hope they wouldn't look so shitty.

DKnight said:
Holy shit extraterrestrials post at GAF!

?

What am I missing? His double-jointed thumb? Mine are the same. You should see my vampire feet.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
I'm not sure how much cheaper real buttons are compared to touch ones. I mean, I have disassembled my YLOD'ed system and there are just 2 bended metal stripes under those buttons. You basically make contact with the actual board via those touch sensor.
There's electronics behind those metal contacts. There has to be some transistor system somewhere behind the button or on the motherboard, that registers slight flow of current that happens when your finger touches those metal stripes, and tells the switching electronics to do it's job. All of that is done mechanically in a regular switch, with just making real contact between metal pieces, I'm guessing even if there's only one small IC or a couple of transistors that are being replaced with mechanical parts, it still a dollar cheaper because mechanical buttons must cost nearly nothing. And that translates into millions of dollars savings as that many consoles sell.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TTP said:

no more Kutaragi

this Slim one is ugly just like PSP GO , I guess PS4 will be like Sony Electronic's Blu-ray players or some shit like that .

bring back Kutaragi sama

TTP said:
I see. Well, I always switch it off via the PS button and mainly use the eject one manually.

I do this a lot too and love it on the PS3. I don't like that I have to hold down my 360 Guide button for so long for it to turn off.

I'm just very anti hold button I guess.

Tobor

Totobeni said:
no more Kutaragi

this Slim one is ugly just like PSP GO , I guess PS4 will be like Sony Electronic's Blu-ray players or some shit like that .

bring back Kutaragi sama

It's interesting how different people's tastes are. I think the PSP GO looks much better than the old one, and the PS3 Slim is a vast improvement.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lord Error said:
There's electronics behind those metal contacts. There has to be some transistor system somewhere behind the button or on the motherboard, that registers slight flow of current that happens when your finger touches those metal stripes, and tells the switching electronics to do it's job. All of that is done mechanically in a regular switch, with just making real contact between metal pieces, I'm guessing even if there's only one small IC or a couple of transistors that are being replaced with mechanical parts, it still a dollar cheaper because mechanical buttons must cost nearly nothing. And that translates into millions of dollars savings as that many consoles sell.

I guess those touch switches are more complicated than I thought.
I schooled myself reading some wikipedia:

A capacitance touch switch works using body capacitance, a property of the human body that gives it great electrical characteristics. The lamp keeps charging and discharging its metal exterior to detect changes in capacitance. When a person touches it, it increases the capacitance and triggers the switch.

So cool. I'll be sad if this omission turns out to be true.

Onix said:
What am I missing? His double-jointed thumb? Mine are the same. You should see my vampire feet.
Yeah, I was looking at it thinking "what's wrong with that?"... Until I realised that I'm a freak too. :lol

Though my fingers do it as well as my thumbs. :D

Kujo

ab5sb9.jpg

So these two are one in the same, and I was leaning towards real before. Whether or not the one in the video was a functioning unit, I don't know, but the actual case seems it could be legit.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
well the pics on teh box have the "eject" and "power" logo on them. They're just dots on the new leaked pics. It's probably just a non-functioning prototype case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom