• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
Mojo said:
ab5sb9.jpg

So these two are one in the same, and I was leaning towards real before. Whether or not the one in the video was a functioning unit, I don't know, but the actual case seems it could be legit.

Nice catch. I really like the new design.

Cowie

buttons no buttons, glossy or no glossy, fuck that, let's talk price.

If you release a giant purple dildo at $300 that will play ps3 games I'm sold. Make it happen.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Cowie said:
buttons no buttons, glossy or no glossy, fuck that, let's talk price.

If you release a giant purple dildo at $300 that will play ps3 games I'm sold. Make it happen.

if Sony want people to buy some SCE games ( yeah right Sony sell games too ) instead of just thinking about the hardware .

at first it should be PS3Slim @ $400 with no games , PS3 Phat will go at $300 / $340 with two games till it gone , then ( next year or this holiday season ) PS3 Slim go for $300 .

also Pink, white , Purple PS3 slim for Japan ASAP

Machado

this looks real but I don't want to believe it.

quick question:

where is the power button? I only saw the eject button. if it was a fake it wouldn't have the eject button, or would emulate the same PS logo inthe front.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Very..weird.

Dude should have asked for a demo from the manager just to see if it's real or not.

Very very weird that it would show up like that though..if there are actually slims out there available for purchase and if it is actually real, then one would expect it to be all over ebay/the-net pretty soon.

Paracelsus

MassiveAttack said:

(Post-jack, but whatever. I went to that place many times.)

This seems to be in Greenhills in the Philippines.

The "black market" is on the older building. Usually third floor, but changes every now and then. You'll find fake electronics, pirated media that's packaged better than the real thing (kudos!), smuggled in consoles and handhelds (PSP was the rage those days), cellphones (even stolen ones!) and more stuff. In fact, that's where I first saw a PS3 phat.

I walked to the salesperson and asked how much was it. He replied PhP 45000 (a little below $1000) and I walked away. I'm not gonna be surprised if you find it there.

Confirmed (?)

Zhuk

Banned
That is definitely the machine we have seen in all those photos, no question about it. Whether its a PS3 is an entirely different thing now since it was spotted in a backwater of a country being sold by an unscrupulous individual.

Why are people laughing at the Philippines as the origin for this leak?
Filipinos are very often being employed as sailors on international commercial ships.
So while transporting them to EU/US/Japan some of the slims might have "fallen overboard" to emerge at a market in Manila.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Matte black? Goddamnit Sony, I didn't want to buy another PS3, it looks pretty great too in those real life pics. :(

edit, so this would probably have an external brick PSU?

Tobor

Phantast2k said:
Why are people laughing at the Philippines as the origin for this leak?
Filipinos are very often being employed as sailors on international commercial ships.
So while transporting them to EU/US/Japan some of the slims might have "fallen overboard" to emerge at a market in Manila.

Exactly. The "where" and "how" of this is the easiest part to believe.

Paracelsus said:
Confirmed (?)

Interesting theory...

I couldn't find any information about Sony operating any manufacturing plants in the Philippines, but if the PS3 is manufactured nearby at all (Malaysia is likely), I could see the following scenario occuring:

1. Test run of assemlbly process line for PS3 Slim is run at a Sony contractor plant in Malaysia.

2. A test run of 40 is made, and QC analyzes the units.

3. A problem is discovered, the units are stripped for reusable parts and the remaining shells are sent for disposal.

4. Some wiseguy at the plant "disposes" of the incomplete PS3 Slims... by secretly taking a bin of them to his contact at the docks in Kuantan's seedy district.

5. For maybe 1,000 Malaysian Ringgit (~300 USD) this guy's contact takes the bin of incomplete PS3s and loads it on a boat destined for the Philippines.

6. The PS3s are sold to street vendors at a decent margin, which are then sold to extremely gullible tourists at a really big margin.

7. Non-gullible, Engadget-reading tourist sees one and shoots a vid.

8. Engadget readers instantly conclude it's Photoshop.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Paracelsus said:
Confirmed (?)

He doesn't say he saw it to any degree in advance of when it was generally on the market in other countries..

There's 3 possibiltiies as far as I can see:

1) It's a knock-off, and this shop stocks and sells fakes, and it's finally getting out 'there'

2) It's real and a unit or two went astray and ended up in this store

3) Someone faked a fake to give the rumour more steam :p

I don't think it's 3... clearly it's the same machine as in the first photos. It doesn't look like a 'faked' version of that. The proportions, the materials etc. all look right. That leaves 1 and 2.. if it is a 'chintendo vii' style knock-off, its the first I've known of such knockoffs to use actual branding and to market the same features etc., rather than phony-ing it up. Doesn't mean it's not a knock-off, but it'd be a new level of gall as far as I know.

Teetris said:
Matte black? Goddamnit Sony, I didn't want to buy another PS3, it looks pretty great too in those real life pics. :(

Nobody knows, but none of the leaks have shown evidence of any external power brick. There was even some poster earlier in this thread who was arguing that an internalized power supply is actually more efficient so who knows.

Gomu Gomu

Totobeni said:
well , Killzone 2 leaked to Middle East where no one buy PS3 or it's games ( because you can't run backup/illegal copies shit on it ) a month or so before the official release .

You, sir, are misinformed. Actually, the PS3 is doing very well over here. And the KZ2 leak was simply because the guys at Sony here thought: "Fuck it. We have it, we sell it". Let me tell you something, if there's one thing related to games I like about this region. It's that retailers don't give a shit about release dates :lol

Teetris said:

From the leaked pics the AC opening in the rear of the chassis is still pretty large; larger than just about any device with an external PSU. Also, someone claiming to be an insider said that the PSU is still internal.

le.phat

i think it looks incredibly slick. the design feels modest, but remains its rigid reliable feel. I think it looks great and i'd consider getting one as i find the current ps3 design a bit too loud for my current interior.

I'm also fairly convinced its real. Its designed too well to be a cheap sweatshop fake console.

JoJo13

Banned
gofreak said:
He doesn't say he saw it to any degree in advance of when it was generally on the market in other countries..

There's 3 possibiltiies as far as I can see:

1) It's a knock-off, and this shop stocks and sells fakes, and it's finally getting out 'there'

2) It's real and a unit or two went astray and ended up in this store

3) Someone faked a fake to give the rumour more steam :p

I don't think it's 3... clearly it's the same machine as in the first photos. It doesn't look like a 'faked' version of that. The proportions, the materials etc. all look right. That leaves 1 and 2.. if it is a 'chintendo vii' style knock-off, its the first I've known of such knockoffs to use actual branding and to market the same features etc., rather than phony-ing it up. Doesn't mean it's not a knock-off, but it'd be a new level of gall as far as I know.

I'm guessing it's number 2.

inner-G

Banned
Does anyone thing that people in Japan will sell off their fat original PS3's for these?

I'd love to be able to get a cheap JP b/c model for my PS2 imports.

If we had to guess what could be cut to cheapen a PS3 as much as possible without losing base functionality?

*) HDMI output only (losing the ps2 connector)
*) Optical audio probably has to stay
*) Wifi gone
*) cheapest hard disc possible (20 gig?)
*) external power supply (no more integrated universal power supply like we have now)
*) Overall cheapening of electronic components inside

This would be the low cost slim machine.

They would then still be able to have that fatty high end machine with all the features integrated. Heck I think they should put hardware BC back into the high end machine honestly.

neptunes

Yeah, if they were cheap knock offs you'd see them creeping up on eBay and flea markets everywhere.

*) HDMI output only (losing the ps2 connector) <i doubt sony is losing much on their legacy A/V inputs
*) Wifi gone Sony Wouldn't be saving much if the wifi is integrated on board (or in one chip)
*) cheapest hard disc possible (20 gig?) < 20 gig would actually be the most expensive
*) external power supply (no more integrated universal power supply like we have now) < would cost more I believe
*) Overall cheapening of electronic components inside < This would be the biggest cost reduction, CPU-GPU all at 32nm etc...

I'm starting to warm up to the design myself. It looks a lot slimmer than a I thought, slimmer than the fat ps2, and I like that Sony has gone back to the all black look, like the ps2 and 20gb ps3. The 20gb looked so sleek and menacing, pity it didn't have wifi.

I still think a colored ps logo would look nicer, though. And the matte finish is kind of weird considering the disc loading area is all gloss. Makes the unit look sort of unfinished.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
UntoldDreams said:
If we had to guess what could be cut to cheapen a PS3 as much as possible without losing base functionality?

*) Wifi gone
*) external power supply (no more integrated universal power supply like we have now)

They would then still be able to have that fatty high end machine with all the features integrated. Heck I think they should put hardware BC back into the high end machine honestly.

The last 2 are the only 2 that will more than likely happen IMO.
The PSU will go external for form factor & cost reasons along with smaller PCB & component reductions.

JoJo13

Banned
H_Prestige said:
I'm starting to warm up to the design myself. It looks a lot slimmer than a I thought, slimmer than the fat ps2, and I like that Sony has gone back to the all black look, like the ps2 and 20gb ps3. The 20gb looked so sleek and menacing, pity it didn't have wifi.

I still think a colored ps logo would look nicer, though. And the matte finish is kind of weird considering the disc loading area is all gloss. Makes the unit look sort of unfinished.

I think it looks the sleekest out of any system on the market right now. It's a minimalistic design, thin, and would not look ugly or out of place in an entertainment center.

I like the white logo and matte finish.

Reminds me of the macbook air.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
UntoldDreams said:

*) Wifi gone

IF this is real, which may be an increasingly big IF (I really don't know any more :lol ), the photos indicate that all those things, at least, are in and indicate a 120GB hdd. The first photos from the back showed the same openings for the outputs as the current ps3, and the front seemed to have two led 'flashing' lights (one for hdd, one for wifi..the current 20GB only has one for the hdd).

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
H_Prestige said:
Nobody knows, but none of the leaks have shown evidence of any external power brick. There was even some poster earlier in this thread who was arguing that an internalized power supply is actually more efficient so who knows.
Valkyr Junkie said:
From the leaked pics the AC opening in the rear of the chassis is still pretty large; larger than just about any device with an external PSU. Also, someone claiming to be an insider said that the PSU is still internal.
No way! :eek:

inner-G said:
If it's an internal PSU and they got the thing to be that damn small, then holy shit.
Exactly, if they can pull that off, fucking hell that would be amazing!

le.phat

JoJo13 said:
I think it looks the sleekest out of any system on the market right now. It's a minimalistic design, thin, and would not look ugly or out of place in an entertainment center.

I like the white logo and matte finish.

Reminds me of the macbook air.

agreed. very well done redesign and once more, this look too sophisticated, too professional to be a sweatshop design. Besides, i really don't think the counterfeit industry would be so up-to-date on rumoured redesigns, let alone have the means to jump in and ship out said counterfeit to entice the early buyers.

BeeDog

Shit, I wish this latest filipino rumour is true, and that some rich fuck strikes on this deal. GAF minds will be blown if solid proof comes out of this.

BeeDog said:
Shit, I wish this latest filipino rumour is true, and that some rich fuck strikes on this deal. GAF minds will be blown if solid proof comes out of this.
I have cousins who live near Greenhills where that video was supposedly taken. I'll ask them to go check it out.

Kujo

UntoldDreams said:

*) HDMI output only (losing the ps2 connector) -
Remove component/composite? No way.
*) Wifi gone -
I believe it's integrated with the Bluetooth chip now, so it wouldn't save much.
*) cheapest hard disc possible (20 gig?) -
120GB is the cheapest now, and that's the one they seem to be using.
Also, the old rumour that mentioned the front button change also mentioned it's still an internal PSU, which would be impressive. With the reduction in power usage and cooling due to the smaller Cell/RSX chips, the PSU wouldn't need to be as large as it has been previously.

Schrade

donkey show said:
I have cousins who live near Greenhills where that video was supposedly taken. I'll ask them to go check it out.
Too many people keep saying this! Where's the results, dammit! We want results!

:)

Thrakier

I'm fine with the design except two things. The buttons look like SHIT. They look like a blain on a console. They don't belong there. AND the PS3 logo is too far to the right. In my mind it should be aligned to the with playstation symbole above the tray.

Orlics

Hmm, I'm going to be in the city for a week this August, might as well take a trip to Greenhills. I wonder what I should ask them though.

inner-G

Banned
Orlics said:
Hmm, I'm going to be in the city for a week this August, might as well take a trip to Greenhills. I wonder what I should ask them though.
Ask if you can see it hooked up to a TV?

We'll probably know by then though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
UntoldDreams said:

*) Wifi gone

unlikely. all modern consumer electronics are designed to have the cheapest components allowing them to meet their operational specs.

things sometimes go south in later revisions for one main reason: ramping up of production. that can bring mechanical parts issues (much more difficult to verify than electronic circuits) and trivial QC slip-ups.

now, i don't think sony plan to massively ramp up their production cappacity. the cheapening of compoents can only come from technology advancements.

blu said:
unlikely. all modern consumer electronics are designed to have the cheapest components allowing them to meet their operational specs.

things sometimes go south in later revisions for one main reason: ramping up of production. that can bring mechanical parts issues (much more difficult to verify than electronic circuits) and trivial QC slip-ups.

now, i don't think sony plan to massively ramp up their production cappacity. the cheapening of compoents can only come from technology advancements.

The current model of the PS2 has over 80% less components inside than the launch PS2. He's not talking about getting better bulk discounts.

Schrade

-x.Red.x- said:
first things first, get a GOOD CAMERA

:lol
Yeah and for christ's sake... if you're going to take a movie, STOP MOVING THE CAMERA AROUND!

Why is it when people take cell phone movies and whatnot they don't try to keep the phone steady? Come on! You must have seen what happens when you don't do that..

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Valkyr Junkie said:
The current model of the PS2 has over 80% less components inside than the launch PS2. He's not talking about getting better bulk discounts.
well, maybe i misinterpeted his main point, since he was generally speaking of 'cutting suff'. i don't count the technology iterations of a product as cutting stuff.

blu said:
well, maybe i misinterpeted his main point, since he was generally speaking of 'cutting suff'. i don't count the technology iterations of a product as cutting stuff.

Cutting stuff = Less capacitors, less power modules, less transistors, less solder, less silicon components. That is what happens when technology iterates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom