• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomu Gomu

We know the that PSThree is real, what we don't know is that, is it being sold in the Philippines ?

edit: and that gif is disturbing :/

inner-G

Banned
-x.Red.x- said:
Vespene is someone official?

either way
Sony better do some re-hiring...

Dunno HOW official, but...

GT said:
The behind the scenes team that are responsible for making this site what it is today. Beside the profile names are the roles that each staff member plays, keeping GameTrailers in full swing.

* Support - Site support
* billbaggins - Producer, Bonus Round
* BloodworthGT - Editorial
* Brandon - Editorial
* chodefloater - Site Support
* CoopXL - Tech
* cyblog - Server guy
* danielkayser - Host
* dayeight - Editorial
* Dunecat - Compression Monster!
* gazelle27 - Marketing
* geoffg - Guru
* gpleazy - Photoshop hero
* Greenlight711 - Editorial
* GTRich - Content/Money Puzzle Exchanger
* jMoney - Content
* keldohead - Site Support
* Mandy - Host
* MarioLinkSamus - Video Wizard
* rsumi - Tech
* seanba36 - Tech
* smepsi - Content
* UltimateBrent - Tech
* Vespene - Vespene Gas/Editor & Graphics
* Wendy - Tech
* Zepyulos - Editoral
* ZorroDeLaArena - Tech

mr_nothin

Banned
inner-G said:
Dunno HOW official, but...

GT said:
The behind the scenes team that are responsible for making this site what it is today. Beside the profile names are the roles that each staff member plays, keeping GameTrailers in full swing.

* Support - Site support
* billbaggins - Producer, Bonus Round
* BloodworthGT - Editorial
* Brandon - Editorial
* chodefloater - Site Support
* CoopXL - Tech
* cyblog - Server guy
* danielkayser - Host
* dayeight - Editorial
* Dunecat - Compression Monster!
* gazelle27 - Marketing
* geoffg - Guru
* gpleazy - Photoshop hero
* Greenlight711 - Editorial
* GTRich - Content/Money Puzzle Exchanger
* jMoney - Content
* keldohead - Site Support
* Mandy - Host
* MarioLinkSamus - Video Wizard
* rsumi - Tech
* seanba36 - Tech
* smepsi - Content
* UltimateBrent - Tech
* Vespene - Vespene Gas/Editor & Graphics
* Wendy - Tech
* Zepyulos - Editoral
* ZorroDeLaArena - Tech

Now if it was 1 of these guys, I wouldnt believe it. :p

inner-G

Banned
Holtz said:
Uh, i already thought it was real. But is it selling on the Philipines or not?
Not officially. If that is the slim, it probably was 'liberated' from a manufacturer or shipment or something.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Valkyr Junkie said:
Cutting stuff = Less capacitors, less power modules, less transistors, less solder, less silicon components. That is what happens when technology iterates.
yes. when all that comes at no expense to the product's functional specs, we call it 'technology iteration'. cutting off stuff, as described in the guy's post, and then adding 'cheapening of components' usually stands for 'speccing down of the product'. again, i may have just misinterpeted his idea.

DrXym

UntoldDreams said:
If we had to guess what could be cut to cheapen a PS3 as much as possible without losing base functionality?

*) HDMI output only (losing the ps2 connector)
*) Optical audio probably has to stay
*) Wifi gone
*) cheapest hard disc possible (20 gig?)
*) external power supply (no more integrated universal power supply like we have now)
*) Overall cheapening of electronic components inside

This would be the low cost slim machine.

They would then still be able to have that fatty high end machine with all the features integrated. Heck I think they should put hardware BC back into the high end machine honestly.

*) PS2 connector is necessary for SD output. It has to stay.
*) Quite possibly. How many people with PS3s have sound systems? I'd be surprised if it were more than 1 in 20 and even of those HDMI will become more prevalent in time to come.
*) Wifi has to stay. Virtually every new broadband customer uses wifi. It's so prevalent that I almost see it more likely that the ethernet port would go, although I think that will be preserved too.
*) HDDs come cheaper by the day. They could stay at 80 or 120Gb and it will still get cheaper.
*) External PSU would certainly help unit size, but it might be more cheaper to house the PSU in the case, as well as more thermally efficient.
*) Cheapening components is obvious but that doesn't necessarily mean less reliable. Consider that if Cell yields went from 60 to 80% that there's a 33% cost saving just through improved process. Consider also that if they go from 65nm to 45nm that more chips can be cut from a single wafer meaning lower costs again. Consolidating silicon also means less parts to fail, reduced circuitry and lower heat & power consumption too. Lots of rationalizing can result in better hardware and cost savings.

I am also certain that BC will never appear in hardware again unless the GS circuitry can be consolidated into the GPU. I suspect that Sony would far prefer software only any way since it means they can reach the millions of PS3 owners who don't have hardware.

Halvie

Banned
I really hope the slim is real and does come out soon, but that thing is so ugly I can't believe that it is the design they settled on.

inner-G

Banned
FFChris said:
Good work Sony, hopefully it retains its reliability. Although the likelyhood of a price drop is a bit slimmer now.
i see what you did there

Actually, I think it might make a price drop more likely. If not to liquidate phats, then because of cheaper manufacturing costs. They had previously stated that the phat was so expensive to make that they couldn't really drop it, so I'm guessing that manufacturing cost was a MAJOR concern for (if not the main reason for) the slim.

HUELEN10

alr1ghtstart said:
there's an internal PSU in this...
2yvl1es.jpg
That, but not the original slimlines. Keep that in mind!
polyh3dron said:
HUELEN10
I ONLY HAVE HERPES
she begs, she pays
(Today, 10:21 AM)
Reply | Quote

The tag is a lie
Wait, why is everybody on my case again? :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
le.phat said:
they are fairly reliable are they not ?

It takes time for defects to be revealed, and the PS3 (like the 360) is prone to disastrous heating problems, especially if you do not regularly clean your PS3.

45nm for everything should resolve that issue.

Hey... last time we had something like this some rudimentary size comparisons were done. Given we know how big the slot load hole is, who is going to give it a go? :)

[Edit - Actually, given it's virtually identical to the one on the box I guess that still applies]

Thrakier

le.phat said:
they are fairly reliable are they not ?

Mine died already three times, it's almost impossible to get replacement lasers for the older models because they are sold out and on my regional message board new dead 60gigs show up every day. Mostly with YLOD mainboard issues which is similiar to the RROD and is fixed the same way. We don't know yet how many PS3s will die in the upcoming months. However they seem to be more reliable than the 360 which is not exactly a compliment, tbh. ;) Better than 360 doesn't mean good.

FFChris

inner-G said:
Actually, I think it might make a price drop more likely. If not to liquidate phats, then because of cheaper manufacturing costs. They had previously stated that the phat was so expensive to make that they couldn't really drop it, so I'm guessing that manufacturing cost was a MAJOR concern for (if not the main reason for) the slim.

Well I hope that's the case, I'd like to actually be able to afford a PS3 before Sony shoves them on the back burner in favour of the PS4.

Thrakier said:
If the PS3 fat would be reliable to begin with...

I didn't realise they had many problems in the first place. I any system from a 360 owners eyes looks reliable. Though only one 360 has failed on me.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Psychotext said:
Hey... last time we had something like this some rudimentary size comparisons were done. Given we know how big the slot load hole is, who is going to give it a go? :)

[Edit - Actually, given it's virtually identical to the one on the box I guess that still applies]
Paging GoFreak!!!

Thrakier

lupinko said:
He had bad experiences with his, and posted about how he took it to an unauthorized Sony vendor for repairs as well.

An unauthorized sony vendor, lol! It was a fucking console repair shop and they are fairly good in what they are doing for the last 15 years! I would have LOVED to bring it to an authorized sony vendor but sony said "fuck you" to me, so I couldn't! Sorry. :) It's a joke that you try to take away from my opinion with shit like that. I'm only talking about what I'm reading and what I experienced. And from that, I don't think that the PS3 60GB model is a highly reliable piece of hardware. It's ok, nothing more. You could also ask FFO or Fersis for their experiences.

spwolf

Thrakier said:
An unauthorized sony vendor, lol! It was a fucking console repair shop and they are fairly good in what they are doing for the last 15 years! I would have LOVED to bring it to an authorized sony vendor but sony said "fuck you" to me, so I couldn't! Sorry. :) It's a joke that you try to take away from my opinion with shit like that. I'm only talking about what I'm reading and what I experienced. And from that, I don't think that the PS3 60GB model is a highly reliable piece of hardware. It's ok, nothing more. You could also ask FFO or Fersis for their experiences.

chill, thats why we have that official my ps3 kicked my ass thread for.... My 20 GB going strong as ever :lol

jmd494

Not sure if this has been posted yet (I'm 5 pages behind but catching up) but why would Sony reinvent the PS3 logo in the May/June time frame...

Capture.png

...and then release a slim console with a clearly different logo?

Capture1.png

Justin Dailey said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet (I'm 5 pages behind but catching up) but why would Sony reinvent the PS3 logo in the May/June time frame...

Capture.png

Capture1.png

In before someone posts an image of the thousand of different typefaces used on the cover of first-party PS3 games :lol

HUELEN10

Justin Dailey said:

Capture.png

Capture1.png
It's be talked about, but I think the answer lies in the transition. It is a transition with that at its mid-point IMO.

JoJo13

Banned
Justin Dailey said:

Capture.png

Capture1.png

Because they haven't yet revealed the new PS3 slim?

Why change it from Playstation 3 to PS3 at all, then?

The fact that they're now using PS3 in their marketing clearly gives more credence to the PS3 slim rumors that are only branded as 'PS3'

Truespeed

Justin Dailey said:

Capture.png

Capture1.png

Hmm, good question...

8031583261536794.JPG

Snowden

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
It's be talked about, but I think the answer lies in the transition. It is a transition with that at its mid-point IMO.
I'll be disappointed if they do decide to abandon the Spider-Man logo this late in the game. It was a horrible choice, but what's done is done.

I actually really like the look of the new shortened PS3 logo; it evokes much less Spider-Man now, and more of that "sleekness" Kutaragi said better matched the console's form factor Looks better than the rounded PS2 font we've seen on all the leaked shots, too. All that does is remind me of Powerade.

If they do ditch the Spidey font, I'm curious to see whether they redesign the PS3 game cases to match.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Justin Dailey said:

Capture.png

Capture1.png
They've been using the "PS3" logo in their advertisements a little bit longer than that. Earliest I remember was November of last year.

I think they're just easing the transition.

jmd494

kazuma_pt said:
yeah, just like th...wait wtf?
_leech_ said:
Hey, both Trico trailers look awesome.
"Crappy" was being used in a relative sense. I agree both trailers were awesome...but...by comparison...

Anyway, the same doesn't apply to the PS3 slim if real. I was really expecting something great looking and this looks pretty meh.

Truespeed said:
Hmm, good question...

8031583261536794.JPG
Sure the logo is similar to the PS2 logo...but that doesn't refute my argument (which was, why would they reinvent the logo, only to use a different one a few months later)? I'm not saying it's fake, but it's at the very least a questionable marketing decision for a company that keeps talking about the Playstation family.
1. PS2 logo with a thin, boxy font with straight lines and right angles
2. A PS3 logo that looks like a poor man's version of the PS2 logo (fat, rounded letters placed in an awkward position on the unit - why isn't it centered relative to the disc drive?)
3. A PSP logo that combines that PS2 font (for the letters "PSP") and the new PS3 font (for the letters "go"), and
4. A brand spankin' new PS3 Spiderman 3 logo floating out there in no man's land with the only explanation being that it's there as a "transition"

Ugh...

Edit:
Catalix said:
They've been using the "PS3" logo in their advertisements a little bit longer than that. Earliest I remember was November of last year.

I think they're just easing the transition.
Oh really? I swear it was more recent than that. Guess I could be wrong. I don't see why a company would need to "transition" videogame fans to a font so similar to the PS2 though.

Wollan

Nice leak. I'm betting that this is very real. It's a perfect copy of the existing shots.

Also looks very sleek, yum.
In thinness it looks about 2/3 of the current model.

Rhindle

If this is real - and it probably is - someone is going to buy one when shops open in the Philippines in a few hours, and better media will start flooding the internets.

So the question is: What does Sony do? Do they rush out an official announcement? I don't see how they can avoid doing so.

HUELEN10

Rhindle said:
If this is real - and it probably is - someone is going to buy one when shops open in the Philippines in a few hours, and better media will start flooding the internets.

So the question is: What does Sony do? Do they rush out an official announcement? I don't see how they can avoid doing so.
They will pull an NOA like in 05 when the GBA SP 2 came out. Not even an official PR release if I remember correctly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom