• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The logo has already been heavily discussed when it was shown 2 months ago. Everything that needs to be said about it has been said, and nobody is going to change anyone else's mind.

EXGN

Justin Dailey said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet (I'm 5 pages behind but catching up) but why would Sony reinvent the PS3 logo in the May/June time frame...

Capture.png

...and then release a slim console with a clearly different logo?

Capture1.png

I don't get why everyone thinks thats a new logo. http://www.ps3center.net/ has been using that logo for a year now, so it's at least that old.

jmd494

Wollan said:
First read this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15874117&postcount=1201

And then you observe the video there and photo. It's identical.
Even if Knock-off companies were to make their own (as they surely will someday) they would had to be ahead of themselves and Sony in this case.
I wasn't saying this wasn't a real thing...or that the thing wasn't the same one observed in the initial leak. I was saying that it (in either of the sets of leaked photos) might not be genuine Sony hardware.

But after reading your previous post, I guess the case is pretty compelling. I usually love the design of Sony electronics. Maybe I'll like it more when I see it shot using a real camera.

Snowden

Banned
EXGN said:
I don't get why everyone thinks thats a new logo. http://www.ps3center.net/ has been using that logo for a year now, so it's at least that old.
Er, we're talking official use by Sony. It's not hard to grab the Spider-Man font online and just take the P, S, and 3 from it and recreate the logo at any point. The important thing isn't what some fansite's banner is, but what Sony itself uses in advertising the system.

edit: damn equestrians

HUELEN10

EXGN said:
Anyone can make that logo, all you need is the readily-available Spidey font!

Just like Wii, which is nothing more than slightly modified Continuum Medium! Here is the regular font.

6oj0cm.png

Here is the regular logo BTW. Just modified Continuum!
800px-Wii.svg.png

I'm still extremely skeptical of this.

Why does some store in the Philippines have an unboxed version of an updated game console that hasn't even been announced yet? How does that even happen? It doesn't make any sense. Some suggested that it was stolen - where from? A Sony R & D centre? A shipment?

If these were being secretly shipped to stores anywhere in the world we would have heard about it by now. Cell phone pics from GameStop employees would be flooding the internets.

DoctorWho said:

Why does some store in the Philippines have an unboxed version of an updated game console that hasn't even been announced yet? How does that even happen? It doesn't make any sense. Some suggested that it was stolen - where from? A Sony R & D centre? A shipment?

If these were being secretly shipped to stores anywhere in the world we would have heard about it by now. Cell phone pics from GameStop employees would be flooding the internets.

Who knows where they go once they leave Taiwan? pretty sure it's not straight to GameStop .

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DoctorWho said:

If it's a real thing, it's almost definitely some viral marketing campaign effort. There is no sense whatsoever in someone not making better photos / videos, or buying this outright and then selling it on ebay for much more than $400.

Graphics Horse said:
Who knows where they go once they leave Taiwan? pretty sure it's not straight to GameStop .

Well, there are only two ways this becomes plausible. Either this is a viral marketing campaign or they are being held in storage somewhere.

What's really frustrating about the video is that the guy doesn't ask the fucking obvious. First and foremost - CAN YOU HOOK IT UP? Also, I would have been interested in seeing the box.

XTERC

I'm 99.9% sure its real, I'm so convinced I've prepared a place for it in the bedroom to replace my TiVO DVR/DVD player. Now I just have to convince my wife we need a HDTV in the bedroom.

HUELEN10

XTERC said:
I'm 99.9% sure its real, I'm so convinced I've prepared a place for it in the bedroom to replace my TiVO DVR/DVD player. Now I just have to convince my wife we need a HDTV in the bedroom.
I have also made preparations. The day it comes out, my PS2 is being demoted to S-Video, so that my Slim can use the component!

JoJo13 said:
eh, you should be able to.

makes no sense to remove that feature

Slimmer design might physically change the HDD placement in the system. That would be a huge selling point for me if I were to pick one up to replace my dead 60 gig.

dwin45 said:
HD up to 1080i can go through component.

HUELEN10, if you have the PS2 and PS3 there, why not just swap which system the component cable is plugged into depending on which one you play? Can't be arsed to get up there and switch em manually?

HUELEN10

dwin45 said:
I have an HDTV, what made you think I didn't?
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
HD up to 1080i can go through component.

HUELEN10, if you have the PS2 and PS3 there, why not just swap which system the component cable is plugged into depending on which one you play? Can't be arsed to get up there and switch em manually?
Don't like the thought of possibly wearing down the pins on the cables or the console ue to so much connecting and disconnecting. Rather just downgrade the PS2.
inner-G said:
Just for BD movies.
So no 1080p through component for movies? That is seriously fucked up.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Justin Dailey said:
Oh really? I swear it was more recent than that. Guess I could be wrong. I don't see why a company would need to "transition" videogame fans to a font so similar to the PS2 though.
Yeah, the promo for that DualShock keypad.

Made a comment about it in that thread, didn't generate much interest at the time though.

EXGN said:
Not official Sony branding, of course. They were just doing what Sony should've done in the first place.

HUELEN10 said:
Don't like the thought of possibly wearing down the pins on the cables or the console ue to so much connecting and disconnecting. Rather just downgrade the PS2.
That's a good point. Also I remember hearing from somewhere here where last generation SD stuff looked kinda better through S-Video than component anyways so there's that going for you if it's true.

On the subject of this PS3 slim, I'm hoping I can slip in the hard drive I've got now since I have PSP-formatted movies on there that take up loads of space (Lord of the Rings Extended, all 3 of em together, are like 12 gigabytes). Failing that, I hope the slim model has enough space in the internal hard drive.

Cowie

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
That's a good point. Also I remember hearing from somewhere here where last generation SD stuff looked kinda better through S-Video than component anyways so there's that going for you if it's true.

On the subject of this PS3 slim, I'm hoping I can slip in the hard drive I've got now since I have PSP-formatted movies on there that take up loads of space (Lord of the Rings Extended, all 3 of em together, are like 12 gigabytes). Failing that, I hope the slim model has enough space in the internal hard drive.

if the box leak we saw and the reports from this guy hold true, supposed to be a 120gb drive in the slim.

HUELEN10 said:
I have an HDTV, what made you think I didn't?

So no 1080p through component for movies? That is seriously fucked up.

What's the problem? If you have a 1080P TV you're also going to have HDMI.

Cowie said:
if the box leak we saw and the reports from this guy hold true, supposed to be a 120gb drive in the slim.
This is true, damn what's wrong with me tonight? I usually remember this trivia. I've been going out of my way to always keep 100 gigs free from my 250gb drive so the slim'll probably work out for me.

HUELEN10

Valkyr Junkie said:
What's the problem? If you have a 1080P TV you're also going to have HDMI.
Only have 1 HDMI port, and my 360 didn't come with components, so it is taking up the HDMI. Have 2 component ports, WIi on one, PS2 on the other. Where else would the PS3 go? :lol Also, never said it was a 1080p set. :D

inner-G

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Only have 1 HDMI port, and my 360 didn't come with components, so it is taking up the HDMI. Have 2 component ports, WIi on one, PS2 on the other. Where else would the PS3 go? :lol
If you have a 720p/1080i TV, just get components for the 360 if you want BD movies.

HUELEN10 said:
Only have 1 HDMI port, and my 360 didn't come with components, so it is taking up the HDMI. Have 2 component ports, WIi on one, PS2 on the other. Where else would the PS3 go? :lol Also, never said it was a 1080p set. :D

Well you mentioned not being able to view BD movies at 1080P over component.

As for the HDMI port issue, you can either shell out $15 for an HDMI switch or go with MONSTER POWER for your 360.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BTBMWA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HUELEN10

inner-G said:
If you have a 720p/1080i TV, just get components for the 360 if you want BD movies.
I am not gonna shell out 40 USD for component cables!
Valkyr Junkie said:
Well you mentioned not being able to view BD movies at 1080P over component.

As for the HDMI port issue, you can either shell out $15 for an HDMI switch or go with MONSTER POWER for your 360.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BTBMWA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Hmm, the switch idea seems good. I will look into it, thanks.
In all seriousness though, at 720p, would it even make a difference if I hooked it with HDMI over component? Yeah, I know analog vs digital, but still, my cables are official and properly shielded.

Snowden

Banned
Machado said:
xbox 360 needs a slim model too, will that ever happen?
Whenever Natal drops, I suspect. Seems like it'd be the best time for a refresh of the console's image. Super-sized version of NXE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom