• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Thrakier said:
WAT? The PS2 slim imo is the most sexiest console ever made, especially the new one. <3 I have to see this thing in real life to judge it, it's also smaller obviously. I'm fine with the shape and stuff, but the buttons look horrible and the "PS3" letters are too far to the right. Other than that it's ok. If you have a 60gig every other console will look like shit, even the 80gigs with their plastic front. So if my 60gig breaks again, I'll buy a slim.

Why to people keep saying this?the eject button is the same.It was clear when I look at the pic on my PS3.

Thrakier said:
WAT? The PS2 slim imo is the most sexiest console ever made

Really?...

Uh...even with that hideous pop up load tray?

230205748.jpg

No thanks.

VegaShinra

le.phat said:
you have a poor sense of quality design my friend.
You can honestly say that if "leaked" pictures of this came out you wouldn't think it's a fake? The PS3 Slim is in the exact same line of looks as the PS2 Slim was.

ps2-slim-black.jpg

Wollan

suffah said:
Do you guys think MS will respond with a price drop of their own if the Slim comes out at $299?
The rumor is that Microsoft is removing the Elite/third sku.

$199 for Arcade
$299 for New Pro (which has same spec as previous Elite model)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So..umm.. wouldn't this store have been open the last several hours (it's nearly 5pm there now)? No further investigation?

Wollan said:
The rumor is that Microsoft is removing the Elite/third sku.

$199 for Arcade
$299 for New Pro (which has same spec as previous Elite model)

A $300 PS3 slim vs. a $300 Xbox 360 elite. I like the sound of this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Don't get your hopes up for a $300 slim, at least not initially.

I'm sure many others will disagree with me, but a $300 80GB is more likely.

Stink

gofreak said:

It's a shame that the PS3 has been downgraded since launch.

When the PS2 Slim was launched, the last line of PS2 'Fat' was the system to get. Mostly because of the hard drive bay of course. My silver PS2 Fat is still whisper quiet :D

Thrakier

Loudninja said:
Because its more detail?Really is that so hard for you to understand? :p

I don't know what you are talking about!!!! What is more detailed!??? Does SOMEONE understand what this guy wants? XD

Stink

Thrakier said:
lol wtf!? I don't get it at all. So please explain in detail: What is the same, why and where can I see it?

Fundamentally, it looks like the same black grained finish.

PS2 to Slimline PS2 is the same 'redesign formula' as PS3 to this leaked PS3 Slimline.

Thrakier

But he claims that the eject button is the same which it isn't. It's a button. Maybe the symbol on it is the same but they still look fundamentally different.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Keep a very close eye on the hard drives shipped with newer PS3's. In a few months (or possibly sooner), something strange is going to start happening.

Sony wouldn't make proprietary HDD's for the slim? Right?

olubode said:

They could, and with the growing need of HDD space for older users they should be offering an official external solution, or even an internal one at least for the Slim users. Or maybe a hybrid solution with the option to make it either internal or external depending on the model you have.

In any case, there have been hints from execs about future HDD storage. Nothing concrete, but we'll see.

Woo-Fu

Banned
suffah said:
Do you guys think MS will respond with a price drop of their own if the Slim comes out at $299?

I think if Microsoft adjusts their pricing it will be because of their own sales figures, not directly because of Sony's pricing.

glaurung

If the leaked photo is anything like the real slim PS3 will look like, I am happy with it.

I am still not too sold on the new logo, looks way too streamlined and 60s to me, but I can live with it.

As for selling proprietary hard drives with the consoles and forbidding the user to upgrade to a larger one... It makes sense - I believe the Linux-installing feature would also be dropped, because it is used only by IT-nutters and not anyone I know personally.

I believe that a 240GB/280GB fixed-size non-removable hard drive in the slim would be a distinct possibility.

dumbass_

Banned
I found this picture in another forum ,Looks fake to me i mean if you already own the console in your office or something why not take a better picture? but i like how it looks so slim compared to my current huge ps3 :lol

slim.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The shape looks off, and the ps3 doesn't have the same 'quality' as the rest of the photo in terms of noise etc.

Angeles said:
I found this picture in another forum ,Looks fake to me i mean if you already own the console in your office or something why not take a better picture? but i like how it looks so slim compared to my current huge ps3 :lol

slim.jpg

photoshop

Barrett2

Angeles said:

Considering the box-shaped white glow around the PS3, im' guessing its shopped. :lol

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
HUELEN10 said:
I wouldn't do this because I am not a bettting man, but out of curiosity, has anyone made a ban/tag bet on the slim?
I doubt anyone would dare betting against Sin.
Now the pricing is another matter - all bets are open there ;)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
The moment Netflix gets announced for PS3, I'm going to triple dip and pick up two more.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminG said:
We've had plenty of time to jump on a plane and purchase this. What's taking so long, GAF?

While I know you're joking, I'm wondering how likely it is that not a single other person near this market has gone to also check this out and report back 'to the internet'. Surely someone in the vicinity saw the video and would go to check it out..? Surely if someone actually bought this they'd post about it online?

spwolf

gofreak said:

not at all, because then they will be losing $150 per unit of Phat and would have huge losses in their Playstation business.

People need to understand that the fact that Slim is coming out, doesnt mean that those Phats are produced any cheaper than they are.

It will be cheaper for Sony to sell $300 Slim than $300 Phat.

Wollan

A friend of mine is trying to reach through to his Philippine buddy atm. Surely there's someone here on GAF from the area?

Edit: We have contact. It's 9:25pm there now though. Will probably have to wait over night.

neptunes

olubode said:
Maybe the new HDDs will come with instructions on how to insert them in the new Slim?

I don't think Sony would launch this below $399, not when there are still older ps3's in the channel. Those units will probably be seeing a price cut this fall. not the slim.

plasmasd

I downloaded the video, went through it frame by frame, and wow, the details on that Slim are pretty amazing if its a fake. I took six frames and tried to process them in HD looking for additional details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aN1gqcJjQE

I very well could be an idiot, but why all the effort into a model shot with a cameraphone??? That thing would have taken days to create if handmade, and why present it in such an awful fashion. Who knows.
xfilesbelieve1c.jpg

It seems pretty silly that no-one else has gone out to confirm this. Its definitely the real deal though. The only issue for me is whether its an actual working unit or something pilfered from a defect batch.

SecretBonusPoint said:
It seems pretty silly that no-one else has gone out to confirm this. Its definitely the real deal though. The only issue for me is whether its an actual working unit or something pilfered from a defect batch.

x-files-believe1.jpg

Anso said:
It would break my heart if it was just a prototype stolen from R&D and nothing will be released for a while. Still, Sony patented an Emotion Engine emulation technology for Cell processors (or at least so Siliconera says: http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/2...ine-emulation-technology-for-cell-processors/ ) so who knows, maybe that's something in the pipeline for Slim.

On the other hand it might just be a downloadable upgrade... Rumours make my head hurt.
That's been covered to death in another thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366636

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
spwolf said:
not at all, because then they will be losing $150 per unit of Phat and would have huge losses in their Playstation business.

People need to understand that the fact that Slim is coming out, doesnt mean that those Phats are produced any cheaper than they are.

It will be cheaper for Sony to sell $300 Slim than $300 Phat.

If there's going to be a pricecut, and both models are going to be on the market for a while, the PS3 80GB has to come down to somewhere below the Slim's price.

Thus slim won't be $299. They won't bring the fat below that price.

An 80GB fat has to be cheaper than a 120GB slim.

=> to me, either a $399 slim/$299 fat (then $299 slim later), or a $399 fat/$499 slim. I'd rather not contemplate the latter option :p

Yes it means losing more on the 80GB, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel: they will run out fairly soon after that (I'm presuming Sony has stopped production on the current fats since there's no advantage to either them or the consumer to keep producing them). So it'd be a short lived bite in the ass.

Of course it's still possible there WON'T be a 80GB model alongside the slim. But I think it's unlikely they're gonna burn through all their inventory before a slim arrives.

dolemite

gofreak said:
If there's going to be a pricecut, and both models are going to be on the market for a while, the PS3 80GB has to come down to somewhere below the Slim's price.

Thus slim won't be $299. They won't bring the fat below that price.

An 80GB fat has to be cheaper than a 120GB slim.

=> to me, either a $399 slim/$299 fat (then $299 slim later), or a $399 fat/$499 slim. I'd rather not contemplate the latter option :p

Of course it's still possible there WON'T be a 80GB model alongside the slim. But I think it's unlikely they're gonna burn through all their inventory before a slim arrives.
it could still be Phat at $399 with two awesome games and Slim with nothing for $399.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom