• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
kazuma_pt said:
so, it's pretty much general opinion that the slim will cost 399? i mean...seriously?
sony just keeps hitting those damn doorknobs...

Ars mole says Sony will cut the price around August/September, which is when the slim should be hitting stores and fats disappearing.

Kagari said:
More like, general assumption.

yeah yeah.
i was saying that, because the psp go is also more expensive, (which i don't think it's a very good move) and i guess i can see sony doing the same thing again =\
hope not really, they need to make it 299.

With Sony continually saying they want to focus on profitability many will assume the Slim will launch at the same price.

However with the cost cutting savings that will go into the Slim (cheaper materials, 45nm, lighter footprint) I think it will come to light that the profitability chat was a ground to ride on to cockblock a fat price cut for 2 years.

This November it will be 2 years since a price drop. Something will be cheaper by the end of the year, whether it be the Slim at a straightforward $299, or the fat dropping in price. Something.

I don't even think it would be far fetched at the idea of the Slim at $299 possibly selling for a small profit, or being very near break even to the point of it turning a profit soon after launch (if it's not). If the leaked pictures are true, they've toned down everything, even the touch sensitive buttons/gloss look.

You don't go to those measures unless you're doing everything you can to make the console cheaper, hence supporting the idea that is necessary to nuke everything "premium" about your console to support a lower retail price.

Machado

kazuma_pt said:
yeah yeah.
i was saying that, because the psp go is also more expensive, (which i don't think it's a very good move) and i guess i can see sony doing the same thing again =\
hope not really, they need to make it 299.

pspgo is a "premium product"

sim ps3 is a cheap ass product

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Machado said:
pspgo is a "premium product"

sim ps3 is a cheap ass product

But (if true) it seems to have the same features as the existing PS3, but with a larger HDD (120GB), and a smaller size.

That demands it cost more than the 80GB at retail, despite costing Sony less, while the 80GB is still around.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
300 bucks christmas would be the sweet spot
especially if Microsoft joins in on the fun

Egmont

Neo Member
Angeles said:
I found this picture in another forum ,Looks fake to me i mean if you already own the console in your office or something why not take a better picture? but i like how it looks so slim compared to my current huge ps3 :lol

slim.jpg

Obviously he photoshopped it onto the desk, but I wonder what the original source was for such a relatively clear picture of the PS3 slim. It's clearer than anything I've seen up to this point.

Weird, the computer looks a little messed with, too.

From a site to do with sticks of joy that is banned:

We asked Sony to take a look, and according to a representative, it was the first time she'd seen the video, and then, predictably, she issued the standard company line: "We don't comment on rumor and speculation." So, it's your call. But let us at least advise you against booking a ticket to the Philippines and heading straight for the black market. For anything.

Make of it what you will, but surely if it was a cheap knock off they'd say "no, nothing to do with us"? Would they "no comment" the Polystation? :lol

But yes, I know that line is pretty standard and is often issued.

JoJo13

Banned
Egmont said:
He really should just buy it.

Hopefully someone will get there before him and take pics/videos/buy it. I have a feeling that the announcement will come even earlier than the European convention. How else would they get sufficient marketing in, especially if (as some rumors have it) it'll be shipping later this month?

Unless, of course, there was some sort of viral marketing campaign. . . perhaps one that leaks out screenshots and videos causing flurries of discussion on message boards. I dunno though, doesn't sound entirely plausible for something for Sony to be doing. Guess it's always a possibility.

Madden releases August 14th in the US, IIRC.

Sony was rumored to drop the price alongside the release of Madden. So, if that does happen, then you'd expect the official announcement to happen about a week before as that's when retailers put out their ads.

We could be seeing an announcement around early August if this is the case.

Machado

gofreak said:
But (if true) it seems to have the same features as the existing PS3, but with a larger HDD (120GB), and a smaller size.

That demands it cost more than the 80GB at retail, despite costing Sony less, while the 80GB is still around.

how do you know this?

they could have removed something like DVD playback. Iknow it's just a stupid thought but we don't know for certain what they removed or added until someone buys that slim in that country I cannot spell

they could also add ps2 plaback as a dwnload option for $50 to make up some money

gofreak said:

Just some wild speculation here. There was a photo that went around years ago showing Sony's "dedicated Warhawk servers", and it was just racks of retail PS3s. Rather than sell through their stock of fats, they could simply take them all back from distributors and retailers, and then use them as servers for future first-party online games. Then the slim could exist all by itself on shelves, at any price point they want.

Sony would be giving up earning any money back on the sunk cost of manufacturing those unsold fats, but this would be partially offset by not having to buy hundreds of thousands of game servers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's some local discussion on this here:

http://pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28868&start=45

I don't know filipino and google translate isn't much help, but from what english is there it seems they're generally sceptical. No one's been able to get a demo (no tv in the store?), and there appears to be no box or wires..some wonder if it's a stray pre-production unit or what. No new pictures or video or anything there. And of course, no one has actually bought it to see what it is at home :p

But at least some folks are 'on the case'.

glaurung

Found this update to the issue:

All of this story has been related with emails and MSN but the whole story seems true.

2 weeks ago, we presented the "stolen" pictures of a PS3 Slim still wondering about the truth of them - even though it is quite clear that Sony is now working on it.

Threats received by e-mail
A few days later, we received by mail a letter of a supposed Chinese Lawyers firm located in Taïwan, threatening us of legal actions - such as most of the websites that shown these pictures have received. Some have been scared and immediately removed the pics, but too much things let us tought that all this was hugely fake.

Quite a funny thing, though : this has been sent from a mailbox named sexybutterfly... By a guy called Ryan Hor (that's a nickname).

Too many clues leading to a fake
So, we took these in[차단]--formations one by one. Firstly, we asked about this strange mailbox : we've been told that due to the emergency he had to send it from his personal mailbox. Then we asked for an official contact in France, as Chinese Lawyers are not supposed to intend legal actions in France.

He gave us the name of a French debt collection firm that had just nothing to do with the questions of industrial property that was, by the way, the reason why we've had been threatened.

Overmore, Li Mo & Associates is juste a private University but has nothing to do with a lawyers firm.

Our answer that reveals the fake
We answered him taking one by one each problem, and asking him to send copies of our mails to the french firm. We also took the engagement to retire the pictures if Sony sent us an official demand. Facing so much incoherences, our contact told us the truth : all of this is fake, and the aim of it was to sell at the highest possible price the false PS3 slim. Our Relationship Director obtained an interview with Ryan Hor where he revealed everything about the story.

Who are they?
You already know them : they're the same team that created the famous countdown to the launching of the Playstation Home. Actually, they're about 10 people from China and some of them spent a few time living in France.

Two of them are the brain : Ryan Hor and Limo Law (both use nicknames to stay anonymous) are in charge of the creation of the fakes, and the other spread the rumor worldwide.

What is their goal?
Money, of course. They wanted to sell their fake PS3 Slim on eBay at the best possible price - such as they wanted to do it with the domain name of the Playstation Home countdown. They told us that even though it could only be a few thousand dollars, it's quite a lot of money in China.

So they created the first hype with the pictures, and wanted it to grow with the threats of legal actions - so it could have looked a bit more official and increase the price of their false PS3 Slim.

How did they make it?
Both of them work in Chinese factories and used their infrastructures to have the "PS3 factory like" pictures, and used the tools of the factories to build the fake PS3.
By the way, they told us the hardest thing to do was to introduce a camera and take the pictures into the factory without being caught.

Then they made a motherboard on the basis of an old Atari console, and managed to make it work on a TV with RCA cables. So this was just a PS3 that could play old fashioned Atari games. Total cost : about 280$.

Why did they accept to reveal us all the story?
The first hype of the pictures worked very well, but the second (supposed to be more official) was too fragile to make the story believable. Too much incoherences had the opposite effect than expected, their story was not so true anymore, and their fake PS3 Slim couldn't be sold as much expensive as they wanted to...

So the only thing they could rely on was their ego, and we have to admit it was a nice try!

Seems kind of elaborate for a scam this size, but who knows. At least someone is trying to blow this thing out of the water.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
glaurung said:

Seems kind of elaborate for a scam this size, but who knows. At least someone is trying to blow this thing out of the water.

unlikely due to the very official looking new packaging shown in the slim pics with the same style as the psp GO, before the GO was announced or any of the packaging for the GO was shown

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That 'it's a fake' article is pretty old news at this stage..

Anyway, hopefully we'll know the truth of it soon enough if someone picks up the model in the phillipines. Even if it doesn't work (e.g. if it's a non-working test unit or whatever), opening it up would tell you pretty quickly if it's genuine or not.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
glaurung said:

wherever you got this from is probably looking for a little e-fame by making up a "it's fake — they told us in an e-mail!" story.

I still think the pics and video are legit.

perhaps they saw the pre-production PSPgo packaging and modeled the PS3 Slim packaging off that?

I doubt it's fake though, my personal opinion is that it's REAL :)

Egmont

Neo Member
dogmaan said:
unlikely due to the very official looking new packaging shown in the slim pics with the same style as the psp GO, before the GO was announced or any of the packaging for the GO was shown

Not to mention the more or less credible moles that have confirmed its existence and nearness to the release.

There are much easier ways to make big bucks if you're already going to be dancing around copyright like that, I think. They wouldn't be able to sell too many consoles before people started realizing it was all fake; that information would travel just as fast as the initial leaks.

I guess it seems plausible enough, though, for someone to want to try to profiteer off the hype like that. I dunno why he would cave in and spill all the beans before selling anything, though. It's not like keeping quiet would have hurt him more. I'm more skeptical about that "explanation" than I ever was about the pics, crappy and sketchy as they may be.

On a different note, it'd be cool if someone who understood Filipino could scan over those kinds of boards looking for people who might have gone and checked it out.

Edit: Ah, they move the conversation into English on the last couple of pages. Looks like someone might buy it?

[http://pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28868&start=90]

Rhindle

gofreak said:
There's some local discussion on this here:

http://pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28868&start=45

I don't know filipino and google translate isn't much help, but from what english is there it seems they're generally sceptical. No one's been able to get a demo (no tv in the store?), and there appears to be no box or wires..some wonder if it's a stray pre-production unit or what. No new pictures or video or anything there. And of course, no one has actually bought it to see what it is at home :p

But at least some folks are 'on the case'.
Eh, that's just weak. It's been two full days and none of these guys has managed to get their ass over to this mall with a cameraphone.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Real or fake, I hope someone makes a move on that unit ASAP..before Sony does.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had one of its staff in the Phillipines go track this down. If it's real, it's obvious why they'd want it off the market. And if it's fake, it's fairly obvious too (i.e. they wouldn't want fake sony-branded goods out there).

Egmont

Neo Member
Audioboxer said:
Another fake, this really needs to be cleared up soon :lol

Do you mean fake picture or fake unit?

Edit:

Real or fake, I hope someone makes a move on that unit ASAP..before Sony does.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had one of its staff in the Phillipines go track this down. If it's real, it's obvious why they'd want it off the market. And if it's fake, it's fairly obvious too (i.e. they wouldn't want fake sony-branded goods out there).

It'd really be a great acquisition for a games website. Really, the possibility of getting one's hands exclusively on a console before it's even announced? Or even just to bust the rumors.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That is hilariously bad :lol

We do need this sorted out. It's dragging along. I'm used to stuff being figured out at internet speed :p

PinoyPS, I choose you!

Psychotext said:
Isn't that a window behind that rack... and the "slim PS3" is somewhere behind / in the window? :D

Shop next door is trying to steal customers! Look at our shit that you don't have in there.

edit: Didn't mean to double post.

Egmont

Neo Member
Audioboxer said:
Fake picture, there's no unit for questioning in that shop at all.

Yeah, not to mention that box's edges don't even match the "real" leaked pics.

That, and it appears to be levitating. Unless that's a new feature, too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If the dude in the store is unwilling or unable to demo it (for lack of a TV, as seems to be the case), then the only way they're going to find out for sure, unfortunately, is for someone to buy it.

If it works, there's your answer. If it boots up a NES rom loader, or the PS2 OS that's another answer :lol If it doesn't work at all, then opening it up would be the only next option to figure out if it's genuine..if there's proper looking ps3 guts in there, then congrats, you have a non-functional but very likely 'real' ps3 slim.

Failing that they should try to find out if this store only sells other genuine goods (i.e. if it's filled with chintendo viis, that might be a hint), and if this is the only one unit they have, or if they have more than one.

gofreak said:
If the dude in the store is unwilling or unable to demo it (for lack of a TV, as seems to be the case), then the only way they're going to find out for sure, unfortunately, is for someone to buy it.

If it works, there's your answer. If it boots up a NES rom loader, or the PS2 OS that's another answer :lol If it doesn't work at all, then opening it up would be the only next option to figure out if it's genuine..if there's proper looking ps3 guts in there, then congrats, you have a non-functional but very likely 'real' ps3 slim.

Failing that they should try to find out if this store only sells other genuine goods (i.e. if it's filled with chintendo viis, that might be a hint), and if this is the only one unit they have, or if they have more than one.

In the picture you can see two PSP's below the PS3 Slim and they look real.

If the whole shop is fake it's the most convincing fakes seen to man :lol Usually fakes are named incorrectly, look terrible and don't cost £250.

The issue is you wouldn't expect 1 Slim to be bumped off production, at least a tangible amount maybe say 40, to make the looting worthwhile. We haven't seen any more pop up, and for some reason no one in the Philippines wants to go back to that shop :/

HUELEN10

a Master Ninja said:
What the hell is going on here? Is someone at Sony attempting to create doubt that the slim is real so PS3 sales don't slow down in anticipation?
That's exactly what I think is going on too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
a Master Ninja said:
What the hell is going on here? Is someone at Sony attempting to create doubt that the slim is real so PS3 sales don't slow down in anticipation?

Sony's not that silly/clever :lol

Basically we're on the cusp of finding out if this thing is fake or not. But it's raining.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So someone who went out to the store from the board has reported back..I'm using google here, so this is rough:

He couldn't get the slim. Because it seemingly was sold to someone else. I think he was all ready to buy it and everything, had got the money together.

He says that apparently it was tested before being sold, with street fighter 4, and it worked. I don't think he saw it being tested himself, but this is what people were talking about (he may have even spoken to the purchaser, not sure). It had the cables, and the ds3, but no box. I think he says it might have been a US unit.

The owner of the store apparently has a second unit, but it's not for sale. They're the only units he has...(or had).

http://pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28868&start=120

RAYANT8 is the poster in question reporting back. If anyone has good filipino, a better translation might be good :p

Now I guess we can just hope whoever bought it will post about it somewhere..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom