• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dolemite said:
it could still be Phat at $399 with two awesome games and Slim with nothing for $399.

Possible. Though I was more trying to consider pricecut scenarios (asides from the awful suggestion of a $399/$499 pairing :p).

But yeah it is possible they'd leave price alone and just release the slim at that price too, and burn through fats with bundles. I would hope they don't do that though..they need a ps3, be it a fat or a slim, at a lower absolute price this holiday.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wollan said:
You may be onto something here.

I hope the hell not.

The price point is (unfortunately) the biggest barrier to entry to the system. Even if they bundled Uncharted 2 and Gran Turismo 5 with a 399 PS3 it sure would not move the units of a 299 PS3. Even though the value is there, the perception is that it is still 400 bucks. And even 'awesome' games don't appeal to everyone.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agreed. They've pushed the value angle for arguably too long already. Maybe not as strongly as they are now with the latest NA bundles, but that has been the philosophy for the past 18 months - maintain price by throwing in freebies. Yes, I get that maintaining price is important if trying to maintain 'premiumness' and not to cheapen a brand etc. but enough is enough.

There's nothing as psychologically effective as bringing down the numbers a person is paying, especially these days. And those numbers are the fundamental limiting factor for the PS3, and it's really holding back the effectiveness of everything they do now. The whole point of a slim unit ought to be to bring costs down to allow a lower price for this holiday.

Sony has the opportunity of a practically perfect hand of cards to play over the Oct-Mar period, but there's always that sneaking suspicion that they'll fumble things in some way..and this way seems uncomfortably plausible :p

There is no way the slim isn't coming in at a lower price. This isn't the PSP Go scenario where its got added on board memory and a 'better' slide design, this is a matte plastic bare bones eject button sporting 'Economy' PS3. Nearly every single part of it's design screams "we had to do this to get it to this price".

Theyve been doing the bundle route at $399 since at least MGS4 anyway. They don't mean shit to the people the Slim is for who are holding out for that all important base console drop. I'll be interested to see if they'll be re-supplying the PS3 Phat 'Premium' Model as it'll become alongside the slim, or if theyre going to just call it a day put all their eggs in the Slim basket.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, by the way, in defence of the $299 fat, $399 slim scenario (if there is going to be any price cut): the extra loss on the $299 fat would likely be more than offset by the profit on a $399 slim. So they could afford to sell the fat at that price until they burn through, then cut the slim back to $299 maybe sometime early next year. If they about break even on a $299 slim, then a $399 slim would bring them ~$100 in profit..balancing out the extra $100 loss on the 80GBs.

So that's how the slim allows for a pricedrop without being cheaper itself to start with. I hope :p

DMeisterJ

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
There is no way the slim isn't coming in at a lower price. This isn't the PSP Go scenario where its got added on board memory and a 'better' slide design, this is a matte plastic bare bones eject button sporting 'Economy' PS3. Nearly every single part of it's design screams "we had to do this to get it to this price".

Theyve been doing the bundle route at $399 since at least MGS4 anyway. They don't mean shit to the people the Slim is for who are holding out for that all important base console drop. I'll be interested to see if they'll be re-supplying the PS3 Phat 'Premium' Model as it'll become alongside the slim, or if theyre going to just call it a day put all their eggs in the Slim basket.

It would be really good if the Phat was 400 and the slim 300... But the chances of that happening are slim-none in my book. They're going to milk the 'newness' of the slim and put it at a higher price point.

What my worry is, and what I think will happen is a 500 slim and 400 phat, and Sony seems stupid enough to try that shit.

suffah said:
Do you guys think MS will respond with a price drop of their own if the Slim comes out at $299?

The Ars mole (who has never been wrong afaik) confirmed a ps3 price cut around this August, but didn't say by how much. The mole says the 360's price points will remain the same, just more storage.

HUELEN10

Wollan said:
A friend of mine is trying to reach through to his Philippine buddy atm. Surely there's someone here on GAF from the area?

Edit: We have contact. It's 9:25pm there now though. Will probably have to wait over night.
Any possible developments at all Wollan?

spwolf said:
not at all, because then they will be losing $150 per unit of Phat and would have huge losses in their Playstation business.

People need to understand that the fact that Slim is coming out, doesnt mean that those Phats are produced any cheaper than they are.

It will be cheaper for Sony to sell $300 Slim than $300 Phat.

Exactly. They would lose way too much money dropping that thing to $300 in a fireside clearance sale. Moreover, is there really that much stock left to burn through? I don't think Sony has made a single 80gb or 160gb ps3 since last year if slim production started early this year. They've technically been clearing through the inventory ever since and reports are starting to come in that the 80gb/160gb ps3's are getting hard to find, just like the Ars mole claimed would happen starting around August.

Wollan

HUELEN10 said:
Any possible developments at all Wollan?
A bit confusing from my view but my buddy is on it atm and he will message me back if he gets someone to go.
Me (Norwegian) -> Buddy (Australia) -> Friend (Philliphino) -> Friend's friends (more Philliphino's)
It's night time there right now so info (if it happens) is still half-a-day away at the earliest. I'll post more if it happens (don't let this stop you guys down in finding alternative ways).

Oni Jazar

If Sony ever intends to reach their sales estimates for this year there's no way it can be $399 this holiday I don't care how many games they bundle with it.

HUELEN10

Oni Jazar said:
If Sony ever intends to reach their sales estimates for this year there's no way it can be $399 this holiday I don't care how many games they bundle with it.
s63c5x.gif

What if it comes with a nice new hat? :lol

Oni Jazar said:
They better reach the $299 price point with this slim or they will phail.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Insane Metal said:
They better reach the $299 price point with this slim or they will phail.

Don't think it matters so much that it's the slim this side of Xmas if there's reasonable levels of 80GB inventory, but one way or another they'd want to have a $299 PS3 this holiday. Fat or slim, I don't care, but they need that price.

jett

D-Member
Justin Dailey said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet (I'm 5 pages behind but catching up) but why would Sony reinvent the PS3 logo in the May/June time frame...

Capture.png

...and then release a slim console with a clearly different logo?

Capture1.png

It doesn't make much sense. My guess is that the slim cases that have been surfacing are old, if they're real.

Tobor

jett said:
It doesn't make much sense. My guess is that the slim cases that have been surfacing are old, if they're real.
Sure, it makes sense. There's nothing stopping them from making 2 different shortened logos, one for the older fat PS3s and one for the Slim.

skulpt

I'm starting to get the feeling that we will see this:

Phase out fats at $300 for 80gb and $400 for 160gb PS3

Bring in

160gb PS3 slim with no wifi + LittleBigPlanet at $350

320gb PS3 slim with wifi with Killzone 2 and MGS4 at $450

On the other hand, think about Sony for a second. This last year, they sold basically 10 million units. If they sell another 10 million+ this year and cut it by $100? I think if Sony can sell say 11 million at the current price or a slight decrease of say $50, they'll do it. Even if that means the 360 selling say 14 million.

Viewing what Sony is doing with the PSP Go pricing, 2010 is the year they try and take some of their money back on hardware. I predict just a $50 price cut, and them hoping the slim plus HD upgrade will make people jump at them and let them reach that 13 million number they are aiming for. I don't like it. I think a $300 slim along side God of War 3 and GT5 could actually shift some pretty good numbers for Sony. But they need to make some money back.

DEO3

So, I was planning on finaly picking up a PS3 this weekend to complete my new home theater. I was mainly going to use it for Blu-ray, but there are a couple of games I'd eventually be interested in playing (GT5/FFXIII, sigh). But now with all this talk about a new slim PS3, rumored bundles, price cuts, etc. it's making it very difficult to pull the trigger.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I dunno how good or bad these guys are about rumours (?), but thesixthaxis says 'sources' tell them the slim is real and will be announced at cologne next month alongside a pricedrop.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/07/13/rumour-ps3-slim-is-real-big-reveal-at-cologne/

Of course, it omits to say which system would be getting a price cut. And it's nothing a lot of others haven't speculated before. But, in case they've a decent track record, there's their report.

lupinko

gofreak said:
I dunno how good or bad these guys are about rumours (?), but thesixthaxis says 'sources' tell them the slim is real and will be announced at cologne next month alongside a pricedrop.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/07/13/rumour-ps3-slim-is-real-big-reveal-at-cologne/

Of course, it omits to say which system would be getting a price cut. And it's nothing a lot of others haven't speculated before. But, in case they've a decent track record, there's their report.

That's nofi's site, he's good.

skulpt said:
Bring in

160gb PS3 slim with no wifi + LittleBigPlanet at $350

Not going to happen since it would cripple the PS3s media streaming as well as Remote Play, that's why wifi was made standard in the first place ever since the 40GB came out.

womfalcs3

Banned
Oh. So Games Convention just moved to a different city. I was under the impression it was canceled this year.

That event would make more sense.

HUELEN10

DEO3 said:
So, I was planning on finaly picking up a PS3 this weekend to complete my new home theater. I was mainly going to use it for Blu-ray, but there are a couple of games I'd eventually be interested in playing (GT5/FFXIII, sigh). But now with all this talk about a new slim PS3, rumored bundles, price cuts, etc. it's making it very difficult to pull the trigger.
Yep, this one of those times when it might really pay to wait!

Machado

dolemite said:
it could still be Phat at $399 with two awesome games and Slim with nothing for $399.

SONY said They'd lose money this year, they will lose money on some end...

the phat will be $299 or 349 with 2 awesome games and 2 controllers so it'll make them loose more money

Ardorx

Banned
I really hope this is real and comes with a price drop or not real and comes with a price drop. I really want to get a PlayStation 3 but $400 + games/accessories is just too much for me.

I think the newest pictures are real.

I won't be selling off my 40GB though, I love the gloss finish as it fit's in with my TV/TV stand. It's worth putting up dusting it constantly for that :D

DeadGzuz

Banned
Oni Jazar said:

Which is why the price will drop soon.

Shiggy

There should be a "surprise" announcement at the GamesCom next month...

It would be funny if someone bought this console in the Philippines and then show it to a Sony representative during an interview.

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet

Hey guys, thanks for all the input.

Just want to make a few clarifications about the video.

1. The video is 100% real. As ACE has said, nothing was altered. The unit itself maybe questionable but all i did was ask to take a video of it.

2. I apologise for the quality of the video. This is what you get when you have 30 seconds, a 3MP cameraphone, and 10 people shoving your back behind you :p

3. The guy selling the system said it will play PS3 games.

4. Some of you are asking why its in the Philippines. While some of you think this is far fetched, it actually makes a little sense. China or Japan (not sure which one is developing the actual unit) are both very close to the Philippines. Underground markets get many things before retailers do, most likely because it is stolen. The people who smuggle it in have strong ties with other countries.

5. For those asking what it 'felt like', it felt noticeably lighter, and the surface is obviously different to previous models. If you were to ask what the surface felt like, the closest i could describe is that it is very similar to the back surface of the PSP-1000. I also noticed that the logo of 'SONY' and 'Playstation' were on it, unaltered. Of course this is no real indication that this is the real PS3 slim, but one should take note that many ripoffs have misspelled names or at least different fonts.

6. I will be returning this weekend (hopefully. It's over an hour away) with an 8MP camera (not a phone!). I will do my best to take a more detailed look into the PS3. In fact if there is anything you would like to see in particular, please post it here.

Thank you again!

You'll probably all do what I did, and that is go stroke the back of my PSP :lol

Gomu Gomu

6. I will be returning this weekend (hopefully. It's over an hour away) an 8MP camera (not a phone!). I will do my best to take a more detailed look into the PS3. In fact if there is anything you would like to see in particular, please post it here.

Yeah right :lol . More like, wait until the weekend so I can finish my next fake video idea.

Egmont

Neo Member
He really should just buy it.

Hopefully someone will get there before him and take pics/videos/buy it. I have a feeling that the announcement will come even earlier than the European convention. How else would they get sufficient marketing in, especially if (as some rumors have it) it'll be shipping later this month?

Unless, of course, there was some sort of viral marketing campaign. . . perhaps one that leaks out screenshots and videos causing flurries of discussion on message boards. I dunno though, doesn't sound entirely plausible for something for Sony to be doing. Guess it's always a possibility.

lupinko

Shiggy said:
It would be funny if someone bought this console in the Philippines and then show it to a Sony representative during an interview.

So-called games journos, DO THIS, and only then will you ever become semi-legit psuedo journos.

panda21

if its real i wonder what firmware it has on it.. and can it play ps2 games..

someone from the internet buy it already!

also, the whole logo thing, since they already changed it once (to make the PS3 fit in adverts rather than having a tiny PLAYSTATION), surely it makes sense to change it to something similar on the slim, but different for the new model, like they did with the psone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom