• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Reading some of the translations others on the board are providing, they apparently did and it didn't work.

The seller also apparently claims he got it from the US..however that worked.. :lol I guess it's possible. Maybe he meant off the back of a boat headed for the US ;) Or maybe he's just covering his tracks.

Surely if someone buys this and they have a net connection it'll be talked about or shown off somewhere..

Sleeker

2hdwfhl.jpg

man that is ugly.

They got it for $250 :O

Bearillusion said:
Would be nice if they tested a PS2 game on it.
They did, it didn't work.

Edit 2:

The guy who is reporting from those boards confirmed that the Slim video shown on youtube shows the seller who he's spoken to.

JDS 1977

Banned
Why would we need a slim anyway? It's not like the original PS2 which was a big ugly monster. The PS3 is pretty sleek and I don't see a problem with the size.

JDS 1977 said:
Why would we need a slim anyway? It's not like the original PS2 which was a big ugly monster. The PS3 is pretty sleek and I don't see a problem with the size.

Because it's cheaper for Sony to make. Also less cost to freight around the world because of its smaller size.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Insane Metal said:
They got it for $250 :O

That's what the original seller says he bought it for. Then sold it on for the 20k local (i.e. the regular price of a ps3 there).

If the seller's story is true, it kind of reeks of someone 'procuring' a couple of units from a distribution centre or something, and then selling them on as fast as they could to him. If they were 'free' to the original source, they wouldn't mind letting them go for an apparently low price. That and the fact there were no boxes makes me think how they were procured is a little suspect, legally.. ;)

Anyway, surely whoever has this will squawk about it online, maybe on ebay or something..

Cowie

JDS 1977 said:

isn't the ps3 the largest console to date? I remember the 'xbox is hueg' jokes began dying down when it was revealed the ps3 would be bigger than the original xbox.

Largest, that is, barring the dread Sega Tower.

carlosp

Banned
Bearillusion said:
I guess it not playing PS2 games doesn't really mean anything as that would be included in an upcoming firmware update if it were to happen.

the guy who knew when the last FW update was going to be released said they are going to add that in a couple of weeks. It was about two weeks ago :D Maybe we should just check the ps blog :p

panda21

glaurung said:
Found this update to the issue:

Seems kind of elaborate for a scam this size, but who knows. At least someone is trying to blow this thing out of the water.

thats old, it was posted before when the first pictures leaked. i think the general consensus at the time was that it was bullshit

Tobor

I can't believe you guys are sweating this much over this. It's going to be announced in a month or so anyway. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Tobor said:
It's going to be announced in a month or so anyway. :lol

This....

They will likely announce the PS3 slim at $400 and drop the price of the original PS3 to move them out of the warehouses.

cvxfreak

I can confirm the translations of the Filipino/Tagalog posted on GAF so far, in case there was any confusion.

Interestingly enough, they're saying the BUYER is Indian.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
As a Filipino-American I find the butchering of my language and my original countries name by well-known forumers quite funny.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
panda21 said:
has whoever actually bought it posted anything yet?

Nothing's shown up. It may very well have been another shop owner. In which case they might be no more inclined to post online about it than the original seller was.. :|

Tobor said:
I can't believe you guys are sweating this much over this. It's going to be announced in a month or so anyway. :lol

But the interwebs likes to scoop things! You have to admit this has been a winding rumour/story..it'd be nice to finally get some closure on it (to some degree anyway).

cvxfreak

Hcoregamer00 said:
As a Filipino-American I find the butchering of my language and my original countries name by well-known forumers quite funny.

Referring to me? Because I'm an American of Filipino descent myself and no one's ever had a problem with calling it Tagalog. Filipino is used for clarification purposes, and no one's had a problem with that, either, including academics.

Tobor

gofreak said:
But the interwebs likes to scoop things! You have to admit this has been a winding rumour/story..it'd be nice to finally get some closure on it (to some degree anyway).

This is true. I said it before, but I'll say it again, when does the new Qore release? ;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Apparently a whole group of them from the pinoyps boards are going to try to go back tomorrow to find it :lol :lol One of them knows where the Indian vendor's shop is - the guy who's supposed to have bought it.

This could turn into a bit of a wild goose chase :p

gofreak said:
Apparently a whole group of them from the pinoyps boards are going to try to go back tomorrow to find it :lol :lol One of them knows where the Indian vendor's shop is - the guy who's supposed to have bought it.

The Slim Ultimatum

boyaah!

140yfmd.jpg

Kyoufu

If the PS3 slim doesn't look radically different to the current model then I'll be severely disappointed. The pics I've seen so far all look the same as the fat ones we have right now.....

PSOne and PSTwo were both radically different in size, so please give us a small-ish PS3!

panda21

gofreak said:

:lol

Egmont

Neo Member
Well, isn't the important thing here that it played PS3 games at all, instead of like Atari or something like that? None of the forumers played it, but I don't think the Indian guy would have bought it if he'd seen that it didn't work.

It's real, if we can believe the report. And it's probably in mass-production.

Now I'm just waiting for some better pics.

Edit: What's really weird is that he says he got it from the US. He could be lying, of course, but I don't really see the point in doing that.

cvxfreak

gofreak said:

re4ganadoswithpitchforks.jpg

Come on, guys...this all smells like fucking bullshit. I guess most of you simply enjoy the chase, but I figured that most of the reasonable ones in here would have simply walked away by now. If the rumors are true, then it shouldn't be too long before it's officially announced.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
Come on, guys...this all smells like fucking bullshit. I guess most of you simply enjoy the chase, but I figured that most of the reasonable ones in here would have simply walked away by now. If the rumors are true, then it shouldn't be too long before it's officially announced.

Way to hedge your bets.. :p So you think it's bullshit or not?

Clearly something's up, I think it's quite reasonable to see that at least. If this thing does turn out to be fake, if there is no slim, it'll have been one of the most elaborate series of coincidences evar.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I'm still calling bullshit.

I don't see why Sony would just sit down and let something like that get out.

Come on GAF

Erebus

g35twinturbo said:
I'm still calling bullshit.

I don't see why Sony would just sit down and let something like that get out.

Come on GAF

For the same reason they let PSP GO get out a few days before their E3 conference.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
DarkUSS said:
For the same reason they let PSP GO get out a few days before their E3 conference.

but not for sale a month or more before its release. and not in a shoddy store

also, those rumors always have blurry pics and then when they go to redo them in hq they are magically gone or sold

i call bs.

like the story said, they had one left that isnt for sale, then why not ask to test it to see if its the real deal.

gofreak said:
Way to hedge your bets.. :p So you think it's bullshit or not?

Clearly something's up, I think it's quite reasonable to see that at least. If this thing does turn out to be fake, if there is no slim, it'll have been one of the most elaborate series of coincidences evar.
Heh...I have no reason to believe in a 'slim' PS3. I've no doubt in my mind about a price cut, but I can't see how they're going to pull this off this year. What I was talking about was this silly episode in the Philippines. It all sounds so fucking ridiculously vague and without confirmation of any kind that I wonder why people still cling to hope on it. So, for this 'slim' sighting...no, I don't believe it is the real deal.

inner-G

Banned
Tiduz said:
but not for sale a month or more before its release. and not in a shoddy store

also, those rumors always have blurry pics and then when they go to redo them in hq they are magically gone or sold

i call bs.

like the story said, they had one left that isnt for sale, then why not ask to test it to see if its the real deal.
That thing in the video isn't even in a box.

There's no way Sony officially sold that thing.

If it's real, then it has to be an early production model that escaped from the shipment or factory.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
Heh...I have no reason to believe in a 'slim' PS3. I've no doubt in my mind about a price cut, but I can't see how they're going to pull this off this year. What I was talking about was this silly episode in the Philippines. It all sounds so fucking ridiculously vague and without confirmation of any kind that I wonder why people still cling to hope on it. So, for this 'slim' sighting...no, I don't believe it is the real deal.

Well we have video of the unit.. we just don't know what the unit really is, yet. But it is the same thing that started this whole rumour, the same unit. So if we find out whether it's real or not, we find out if the rumour is true or false.

If it's not real it would beg so many questions though..like how they managed to predict sony's box styling for the Go so far in advance (i.e. the slim box from the shots matches it in style exactly), and various other parts of the puzzle and coincidences that have emerged since this was originally put out there on the net.

I do agree that a market in the phillipines is the last place I would have expected one to turn up, though :lol

gofreak said:
If it's not real it would beg so many questions though..like how they managed to predict sony's box styling for the Go so far in advance (i.e. the slim box from the shots matches it in style exactly), a

Maybe Sony liked the fake box so much they copied for the PSPgo. Hmm? HMMMM?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Graphics Horse said:
Maybe Sony liked the fake box so much they copied for the PSPgo. Hmm? HMMMM?

:lol Creative bankruptcy: confirmed.

Oh well, I know I'm tuning in for tomorrow's episode :lol :D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I really don't get how the shit this is already out in the open and Sony hasn't said a damn thing. Were they going to announce it at TGS and say everyone can buy it tomorrow or something?

paparazzo

Teetris said:
I really don't get how the shit this is already out in the open and Sony hasn't said a damn thing. Were they going to announce it at TGS and say everyone can buy it tomorrow or something?
IIRC, they called for a cease and desist on the pictures when they first surfaced.

Tobor

Teetris said:

They did. They said "We dont comment on rumors and speculation", which as we all know, means "We aren't ready to announce it yet".

Anyone who doesn't believe this is real by now is asking for crow, plain and simple.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I don't like it, if this shit comes out i'm getting a cheaper PS3 phat.
I don't like the.. matte finish that the slim appears to have.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Tobor said:
They did. They said "We dont comment on rumors and speculation", which as we all know, means "We aren't ready to announce it yet".

Anyone who doesn't believe this is real by now is asking for crow, plain and simple.
I know, bad wording on my part but I mean it's actually out in the open before they announced it. Don't they normally announce consoles when it's not even done developing yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom