• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

Teetris said:
I know, bad wording on my part but I mean it's actually out in the open before they announced it. Don't they normally announce consoles when it's not even done developing yet?
What you want them to do?

"Here's the new PS3 Slim. You'll be able to buy one in 3-4 months time. Just so you know, we wont be cutting the price on the current models. So if you're planning on getting one just wait and let the units we have on store shelves collect dust" :lol

Gamecocks625 said:
The Slim Ultimatum

boyaah!

140yfmd.jpg
:lol This is getting ridiculous.

Kyoufu said:
If the PS3 slim doesn't look radically different to the current model then I'll be severely disappointed. The pics I've seen so far all look the same as the fat ones we have right now.....

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting from the pictures. It just doesn't seem that much smaller to me. The new chips will be great but they could easily stuff those in the old case. I guess every inch matters when it comes to shipping and storage, though.

HUELEN10

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting from the pictures. It just doesn't seem that much smaller to me. The new chips will be great but they could easily stuff those in the old case. I guess every inch matters when it comes to shipping and storage, though.
And image, don't forget the image!

JoJo13

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:

The PS3 slim looks to be significantly smaller in terms of its height. The PS3 Phat is really thick, while the PS3 Slim is pretty thin.

They have shaved a little bit off the horizontal and vertical dimensions, but most of the slimness comes from the lack of height.

gofreak said:
Apparently a whole group of them from the pinoyps boards are going to try to go back tomorrow to find it :lol :lol One of them knows where the Indian vendor's shop is - the guy who's supposed to have bought it.

This could turn into a bit of a wild goose chase :p

:lol This is seriously ridiculous...I just hope they manage to find a unit and take high res pictures of it from multiple angles.

Like I said pages ago. This shit is very unlikely - I stand by that.

Still believe the slim itself is happening though, I just don't think you are going to find it months before release.

imperium

If the slim is shipping in a few months, wouldn't Sony want to get a prepoduction model into the hands of developers for compatability testing? Perhaps that's where this unit came from.

imperium said:
If the slim is shipping in a few months, wouldn't Sony want to get a prepoduction model into the hands of developers for compatability testing? Perhaps that's where this unit came from.

That's not the job for devs.

Siaynoqq

The plot thickens...

From 1up:

An internal memo from Canadian retail chain Zellers appears to reveal that they may no longer be restocking their supply of 80GB PlayStation 3's. That may not sound like much of a story, but here's the interesting part -- back in June, a rumor floated that Sony was planning to begin reducing supplies of the 80GB model in anticipation of a price drop, and even the launch of the long-rumored "PS3 Slim."

The memo itself (which was passed along anonymously to *******) is an edict to employees to stop accepting rainchecks for a special offer on an 80GB PS3 with a game less than $30, with the whole package costing $380. But the interesting part is why the rainchecks are no longer being accepted: "We can not accept the rainchecks because we can not promise we could fill them with the same item," the memo reads. Or in other words, it looks like they'll no longer have 80GB PS3's to fill them with.

According to the earlier rumor (passed along by a historically reliable "mole" to ArsTechnica), Sony is planning to restrict supplies of 80GB PS3s in the next few months, leaving only the 160GB model on store shelves, with the intention of selling through those as well. Then, near the end of the year, they'll supposedly introduce the "PS3 Slim" at a lower price. So, yes, if Zellers is indeed no longer restocking 80GB PS3s already, that would seem to fall in line with Sony's rumored plans.

Ardorx

Banned
It would really suck is the PS3 slim took the place of the 80GB at the same price. Again, I don't mind buying used but a $300-$350 system would be tempting.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
:lol @ Ultimatum posters

And Xzibit's real name is Alvin?! wow

spwolf

neptunes said:
What you want them to do?

"Here's the new PS3 Slim. You'll be able to buy one in 3-4 months time. Just so you know, we wont be cutting the price on the current models. So if you're planning on getting one just wait and let the units we have on store shelves collect dust" :lol

even better, outline the road map for pricing for next 3-4 years, as well as platnium releases, so people figure out to wait 2 years and get it all almost free :lol

Machado

I'm starting to lose faith...so many hours and all we've got is more rumors??? come on. if someone bought it pictures should already be all over the place

and the line "he said it plays ps3 games" is quite cheesy

JoJo13

Banned
Ardorx said:
It would really suck is the PS3 slim took the place of the 80GB at the same price. Again, I don't mind buying used but a $300-$350 system would be tempting.

I don't believe there's a chance in hell that it'll be releasing at $400.

dolemite

And Wal-Mart is apparently trying to move the old 160 gigers hard:
IMG00195-20090714-1714.jpg

They threw in LBP and KillZone 2 for good measure. The bundle is Canadian btw.

Ardorx

Banned
That's a hell of a deal. Wish I had the cash to spend right now. Is that Canada, BTW?

JoJo13 said:
I don't believe there's a chance in hell that it'll be releasing at $400.

I'm not trying to troll here or anything but with Sony you never really know.

JoJo13

Banned
dolemite said:
[IMGhttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k229/languy/IMG00195-20090714-1714.jpg[/IMG]
They threw in LBP and KillZone 2 for good measure.

damn those are some insane deals going around

even if you don't wait for the slim, the current bundles are a spectacular value

Can't wait for the slim.

Harvey Norman in Australia is actually selling the 160GB here exclusively. I'm almost tempted to get one for the fuck of it, but I already have a 60GB which is now packed away and an 80GB that I use.

The slim will be my third.

KtSlime

I think the slim is real, if not it would have had to been made by someone with insider knowledge to know what the box could look like.

Oh and that Canadian Wal-Mart deal sounds awesome.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JoJo13 said:
Any updates on this today?

Sigh.

I think the indian guy that purchased it was a Sony agent.

I'm not sure..one of the folks who were supposed to be going today (i think) has just checked back in with lots of hand-clapping smilies :lol Google translate can't make out what's being said though.

I guess the others will check in hopefully with some english, as to what happened..:D :lol

Egmont

Neo Member
Audioboxer said:
GAME UK are doing some sweet bundles also, the £299 bundles with two games are great value. Especially as it's fucking awesome games.

http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=7068&cm_sp=ps3-_-topnav-_-bundles

This is real guys, stop doubting it :lol

Damn, that's bordering on desperation. If I weren't interested in the Slim for the weight/size (travel reasons) I'd have my eyes open for deals like those. Some of those games are like brand new. inFamous/Ghostbusters?

Kittonwy

Banned
dolemite said:
IMG00195-20090714-1714.jpg

They threw in LBP and KillZone 2 for good measure. The bundle is Canadian btw.

That's a CRAZY bundle, everyone who don't have a PS3 should get this, srsly.
angry.gif

Visualante said:
Can't most PS3 games, even good ones be found for like £10 anyway? Doesn't seem like a bargain to me.

£10?

Tell me where you shop please.

inFAMOUS - http://www.***********/PS3/GAMES/PS3IN02-inFamous.html
Ghostbusters - http://www.***********/PS3/GAMES/PS3GH02-Ghostbusters: The Video Game.html
Killzone 2 - http://www.***********/PS3/GAMES/PS3KI01-Killzone 2.html

Okay ShopTo is blocked, point is all are above £30 except from KZ2 at £28.

HMV - http://hmv.com/hmvweb/navigate.do?c...ac=highlights_games_190109_consoles#anchorPS3

and

Gamestation - http://www.gamestation.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/HardwareBundle/

Are also doing bundles.

davygee

Banned
I've posted this before and this is how I see the PS3Slim coming into effect.

Sony announce the new PS3Slim, it's smaller, sexier and comes with a 160Gb hard drive.

Sony currently has 2 models on the market, the 80Gb $399 model and the 160Gb $499 model, I can see Sony replacing the current 160Gb model with the PS3Slim and reducing the price to $399. And finally reducing the basic PS3 price by $100 on the 80Gb model for a period of 6-12 months.

So come September, there is a $299 80Gb PS3 and a $399 160Gb PS3Slim.

People will of course rather go for the cheaper $299 model, which will effectively sell off all remaining stock of the 80Gb models, although there will be a selection of people wanting the new smaller PS3Slim and are fine at spending the same price as before ($399)....some 6-12 months down the line...maybe around Summer next year....the PS3Slim will then reduce to $299 and will stay there for another year.

Why do this, well Sony have reduced the costs of the PS3 with the Slim and they costs are reduced even further. BR costs will half within the next 3-6 months and the reduction of the chip costs is helping further. The PS3Slim will IMHO costs significantly less to make than sell at $399 by the time it comes out....of course Sony will make a loss with the 80Gb PS3Phat, but much less than bringing out Slim at a $299 price. By the time the Slim is due to come down to the $299 price point...the PS3 should have made Sony some profit for a change and it should be even within 12 months.

Kai Ozu

I hope it comes out soon, I'm going to buy one just for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, so I have a nice new system to play on. :D

____

davygee said:
I've posted this before and this is how I see the PS3Slim coming into effect.

Sony announce the new PS3Slim, it's smaller, sexier and comes with a 160Gb hard drive.

Sony currently has 2 models on the market, the 80Gb $399 model and the 160Gb $499 model, I can see Sony replacing the current 160Gb model with the PS3Slim and reducing the price to $399. And finally reducing the basic PS3 price by $100 on the 80Gb model for a period of 6-12 months.

So come September, there is a $299 80Gb PS3 and a $399 160Gb PS3Slim.

People will of course rather go for the cheaper $299 model, which will effectively sell off all remaining stock of the 80Gb models, although there will be a selection of people wanting the new smaller PS3Slim and are fine at spending the same price as before ($399)....some 6-12 months down the line...maybe around Summer next year....the PS3Slim will then reduce to $299 and will stay there for another year.

Why do this, well Sony have reduced the costs of the PS3 with the Slim and they costs are reduced even further. BR costs will half within the next 3-6 months and the reduction of the chip costs is helping further. The PS3Slim will IMHO costs significantly less to make than sell at $399 by the time it comes out....of course Sony will make a loss with the 80Gb PS3Phat, but much less than bringing out Slim at a $299 price. By the time the Slim is due to come down to the $299 price point...the PS3 should have made Sony some profit for a change and it should be even within 12 months.

Only problem, I think the rumored PS3 Slim box had 120GB on it :D , not 160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom