• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So they finally reported back :lol This is from jsnepo on the pinoyps forum:

So... here it goes...

I'm not saying there wasn't one in Greenhills. It's possible for it to resurface this week in that store owned by that indian guy who last bought it.

We went to the original store where the slim PS3 was displayed and talked to the guy whom I think owns the stall (he's the same guy in the video).

Here are the things he said:
* unit was bought from some dude who got the unit from the US.
* there are two units but only one unit was for sale (the one he got).
* it was sold to him because it cannot be modded (LOL).
* they tested a PS3 game (Unreal Tournament III) and it worked.
* they tested an unknown (not bootlegged) PS2 game from an unknown region, the PS3 detected the disc, it didn't work. SUCKS!
* hard drive slot is underneath when placed horizontally.
* slim PS3 cannot be placed vertically without some sort of a stand unlike the fat one.
* he got it for 12K PhP.
* there was some sort of packaging but it's not a retail box.
* it came with the necessary cables and a DS3.
* he sold the unit to an indian fellow who has a game store in Bridgeway for 22K PhP.
* he said the indian dude was planning on creating a customized box for it (I guess for it to look like something that is being sold in retail).
* slim PS3 is almost the same size as the fat PS2.
* he's unaware of the firmware installed.
* it's possible for him to get another unit next month.
* when asked about any contact information of the dude that sold the unit to him, he declined giving it.

Okay... I don't believe everything he said but I've got a gut feeling the slim PS3 that he got is real. It's possible he's only covering his tracks.

Then we went to the store of that indian guy but he's nowhere to be found. The slim PS3 is nowhere to be found as well. But I did talk to one of his employees.

* she confirmed her boss got one yesterday.
* it's not in the store.

The employee was hesitant in answering my questions. I don't know why. LOL

http://pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28868&start=345

So the trail goes cold..unless it resurfaces on ebay or something.

Interesting if the bit about the hdd being on the underside at the front when placed horizontal is correct though..that's what some of us where thinking when the case shots first went out (figured that's what the larger opening at the front was for).

Shiggy

Edit: Gofreak sucks :p

They went back...
http://pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28868&start=345#p1047780

Here are the things he said:
* unit was bought from some dude who got the unit from the US.
* there are two units but only one unit was for sale (the one he got).
* it was sold to him because it cannot be modded (LOL).
* they tested a PS3 game (Unreal Tournament III) and it worked.
* they tested an unknown (not bootlegged) PS2 game from an unknown region, the PS3 detected the disc, it didn't work. SUCKS!
* hard drive slot is underneath when placed horizontally.
* slim PS3 cannot be placed vertically without some sort of a stand unlike the fat one.
* he got it for 12K PhP.
* there was some sort of packaging but it's not a retail box.
* it came with the necessary cables and a DS3.
* he sold the unit to an indian fellow who has a game store in Bridgeway for 22K PhP.
* he said the indian dude was planning on creating a customized box for it (I guess for it to look like something that is being sold in retail).
* he's unaware of the firmware installed.
* it's possible for him to get another unit next month.
* when asked about any contact information of the dude that sold the unit to him, he declined giving it.

Okay... I don't believe everything he said but I've got a gut feeling the slim PS3 that he got is real. It's possible he's only covering his tracks.

Then we went to the store of that indian guy but he's nowhere to be found. The slim PS3 is nowhere to be found as well. But I did talk to one of his employees.

* she confirmed her boss got one yesterday.
* it's not in the store.

The employee was hesitant in answering my questions. I don't know why. LOL

Anyway, it's up to you guys if you want to believe the rumor. Sorry for making you guys expect some good news. BTW, the place where the slim PS3 was sold... there were no game console knock offs on sight. I mean even the other stores don't sell knock offs. Some stores are even selling fat PS3s and Xbox 360s. But most of the stores are selling PSPs and mobile phones. We tried checking the other stores for the slim but to no avail.

I'm starting to hate that indian guy for buying the slim PS3 and for not showing the world that it works.

If you guys have questions, feel free to ask.

And yeah... we suck! :rofl:

lupinko

Danthrax said:
wow.... that's $680 US-worth of product for $450 US. I have half a mind to cross the border... can we still just use birth certificates or do we need passports now?

Passport or if your state has em, those updated special driver's licence.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I am definitely getting one if they come in at 299. And all signs point to it. It will replace my BC fatty which will go on Craigslist.

I think its getting tougher and tougher to deny it at this point. The question is, could it be announced in August for an August September release? I thought TGS wasnt until end of September.

I know I've gotten more emotionally invested in this story than I do with most movies

I wonder if this is just some really elaborate viral marketing from Sony :lol

Either way, this story is starting to get really absurd with all the twists and turns. Someone needs to get to the bottom of all this.

Shiggy

AndyD said:
I am definitely getting one if they come in at 299. And all signs point to it. It will replace my BC fatty which will go on Craigslist.

I think its getting tougher and tougher to deny it at this point. The question is, could it be announced in August for an August September release? I thought TGS wasnt until end of September.

Sony may announce it at the German GamesCom, which is the largest videogames exhibition worldwide.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They also say the first seller told them that the power supply is internal. Just one other tidbit.

They're gonna see about watching the indian guy's shop over the next few days for its reapperance :lol

Gods...why didn't that first person who made the video not just buy it!

Donos

nice story :lol

sony has probably already surrounded the area by ninjas on the roofs. everytime now someone asks the shopowner about the slim he get's a laserpointer dot on his head "slim? what slim ? never heard of it.... *sweat*"

Goldrusher

Wollan said:
terrible image but assuming the disc slots are of equal width:
Here's an old comparison by chubigans:

thinps3.jpg

I find it hard to believe that someone was able to get a hold of a Playstation 3 Slim, even if it is an older version of whatever Sony might be working on behind the scenes. Maybe it's possible that someone saw the images of the Playstation 3 Slim earlier this year, and made a replica of it. Plus, if someone really had a Playstation 3 Slim, one would think that they would take better video of it, and also better pictures. Even a video of it being hooked up to a television to show that it's actually real, but none of that is out there. There's definitely something coming soon from Sony later this year, though, due to the recent happenings. The happenings are stores not selling 80GB Core Playstation 3 systems, and SCEA all of a sudden doing bundles. So, my thinking is that Sony might be making a Playstation 3 Slim, but what that person bought is a fake Playstation 3 Slim.

lupinko

lastinline said:
I find it hard to believe that someone was able to get a hold of a Playstation 3 Slim, even if it is an older version of whatever Sony might be working on behind the scenes. Maybe it's possible that someone saw the images of the Playstation 3 Slim earlier this year, and made a replica of it. Plus, if someone really had a Playstation 3 Slim, one would think that they would take better video of it, and also better pictures. Even a video of it being hooked up to a television to show that it's actually real, but none of that is out there. There's definitely something coming soon from Sony later this year, though, due to the recent happenings. The happenings are stores not selling 80GB Core Playstation 3 systems, and SCEA all of a sudden doing bundles. So, my thinking is that Sony might be making a Playstation 3 Slim, but what that person bought is a fake Playstation 3 Slim.

A fake PS3 slim that can actually play PS3 games?

lupinko said:
I think that we the person bought is fake, but in order for me to believe that it is indeed real, I would have to see video of it being able to play Playstation 3 games. Even then, though, that can be faked in video too. The person saying that it plays Unreal Tournament III is not enough for me to believe in it, because that person can just be saying that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
lupinko said:

In fairness we don't have proof of that yet.

But the reason the owner hasn't spilled the beans for all and sundry online is that the owners so far are both just traders. Probably not the type who frequent games boards or care about breaking news or anything ;) Moreover if the goods are slightly hot, they may not want broader attention.

If and when eventually a gamer actually buys it that might change. But right now it's in the hands of a trader, supposedly. If what we're being told is true, though, he paid $400 for it... so I'm sure he checked it was a working PS3 before forking out for it. I don't think one trader would give another trader $400 for an empty shell or a nes clone in PS3 clothing or whatnot. IF what we're told is reliable, of course.

gofreak said:

Interesting if the bit about the hdd being on the underside at the front when placed horizontal is correct though..that's what some of us where thinking when the case shots first went out (figured that's what the larger opening at the front was for).

bigfoot.jpg

cjdunn

gofreak said:

* slim PS3 cannot be placed vertically without some sort of a stand unlike the fat

Er, doesn't the fat PS2 sit vertically without a stand?

No, wait, it does have those cheap, plastic bookend bits. Damn!

Tobor

"* it's possible for him to get another unit next month."

:lol. It will be possible for all of us to get a unit next month, or the month after that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cjdunn said:

Moreover this unit might actually be slightly slimmer than a PS2 fat..which would make it a little trickier to have freestanding without risking it falling over. I'm sure you COULD have it standing on its own if you wanted though.

Binabik15

cjdunn said:

I never used a stand for my German launch PS2 and it´s still working :D

I hope the slim is real, my dad needs one. Playing blurays over his pc is so much worse than with my PS3 it´s not even funny.

cjdunn

Okay, so my recollection of the fat PS2 being boxy/square enough to "freestand" is accurate then.

I still have it somewhere. May break it out to visualize a PS3 of those proportions.

Hypecube

Banned
Is it wrong to be more excited about the eventual "PS3 slim tear-down" then about the PS3 slim it's self?

I'm really curious about the internals of he PS3 slim.

1. 45 Nanometer cell is pretty much a given at this point, but what about RSX?

2. What does the new Cooling system look like?

3. how does the new board layout compare to the old one?

The PS3 slim can not come fast enough.

inner-G

Banned
Hypecube said:
Is it wrong to be more excited about the eventual "PS3 slim tear-down" then about the PS3 slim it's self?

I'm really curious about the internals of he PS3 slim.

1. 45 Nanometer cell is pretty much a given at this point, but what about RSX?

2. What does the new Cooling system look like?

3. how does the new board layout compare to the old one?

The PS3 slim can not come fast enough.
The phats have that huge 120mm fan, and they can probably drop it with the reduction in die size.

I'd shit if the mobo has a GS on it.

enewtabie

I'll just be glad when it's announced so the guessing can stop and we can start hearing the complaining about the lack of features. :lol

I don't need another unit, but I wouldn't mind one in my home office.

Hypecube

Banned
inner-G said:
The phats have that huge 120mm fan, and they can probably drop it with the reduction in die size.

LOL, So would I but I'm pretty sure it would be costly.

Although I've often wondered if it was possible to merge the GS into the RSX.

inner-G said:

That would be a gigaton. But Sony will never do it. If there's one reason I'd want Sony to ditch the ps3 and move onto the ps4 in the next few years, it would be to get ps2 software emu right off the bat. But Sony won't do that either. They can barely afford the ps3.

So its rumoured to be the same size as a ps2 fat. I'm gonna have to get my old PS2 out, because I seem to remember it wasn't really all that "slim".

Perhaps I'm just blind to the PS3's actual fatness at the moment.

I think in terms of overall volume it should be about the same, but the dimensions are obviously different. From the looks of it, the slim has about the same depth as the regular ps3, but it's not as long and it's slimmer than the fat ps2.

So its rumoured to be the same size as a ps2 fat. I'm gonna have to get my old PS2 out, because I seem to remember it wasn't really all that "slim".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
woodsey1982 said:

My intial guesstimates put it somewhere slightly smaller than a PS2 fat in terms of volume..perhaps deeper than a PS2 fat, but smaller on every other dimension.

Hard to say for sure though. If it's as 'slim' as a PS2 fat, though, at its thickest point, it'll be slimmer as it curves in. PS3s, and this unit, aren't of uniform thickness.

IIRC, I guesstimated that the slim might be 6cm thick, maybe 7cm, at its thickest point..the base part is only ~3cm thick..that much we could measure pretty accurately from the original photos, and I came up with 6 or 7cm in total by just doubling that. A PS2 fat is 7.8cm thick.

It looks the most expensive, which is why I'll be keeping my fat if the leaked PS3 slim pics are anything to go by.

The slim looks like a games console, as opposed to something (current PS3) that passes as a home entertainment device, at least in my setup (glossy black bravia and black glass TV table).

It's the way it goes though when most of your buyers want that low price. The premium fixings get fucked. They were already quick to tear out the chrome strip to help them get down to $400 :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Actually based on this, I'd be fairly confident guesstimating that this thing..whatever it is..appears to be somewhere between 5 and 6cm thick.

30u8myu.jpg

That opening marked in red is for the network cable, and those inputs are 1cm high. So you can come up with your own estimate..I came up with anything from 4.9cm to 5.6cm depending on assumptions I made in measuring the height of the input in the picture (which is difficult to do accurately because it's blurry)..add in some uncertainty given the slight rotation of the box, and I'll stick to 5-6cm :p

By comparison a regular PS3 is I think 9.8cm thick, a PS2 7.8cm.

Hypecube

Banned
gofreak said:
Actually based on this, I'd be fairly confident guesstimating that this thing..whatever it is..appears to be somewhere between 5 and 6cm thick.

That opening marked in red is for the network cable, and those inputs are 1cm high. So you can come up with your own estimate..I came up with anything from 4.9cm to 5.6cm depending on assumptions I made in measuring the height of the input in the picture (which is difficult to do accurately because it's blurry)..add in some uncertainty given the slight rotation of the box, and I'll stick to 5-6cm :p

By comparison a regular PS3 is I think 9.8cm thick, a PS2 7.8cm.

If true, then WTF?

How they get it so thin ? It can't be just the transitions from 65nm to 45nm for Cell and possibly RSX. something else had to have been reduced , or merged to get it that size.

Raist

Banned
Hypecube said:
If true, then WTF?

How they get it so thin ? It can't be just the transitions from 65nm to 45nm for Cell and possibly RSX. something else had to have been reduced , or merged to get it that size.

They've downsized the cooling system a LOT already. Maybe they carried on with the slim.

Hypecube said:
If true, then WTF?

Slimmer optical drive, less cooling needed, smaller power supply...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hypecube said:
If true, then WTF?

the main thing that made the phat huge was the bd-drive. It got shrunk down immensely.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Graphics Horse said:
You might need to add on another CM or two for the curve of the top, taking perspective into account.

Some of the curve is visible there, but also some of the bottom as it is rotated slightly away from the camera..meaning we're not seeing the 'full' height of the curve. As I said, though I am trying to factor that in by giving a range of 5-6cm.

The curve is very very flat indeed.

Either way, I think it's safe to say it's thinner than a regular PS2. Somewhere between 1 and 2 cm thinner I think.

It has been years since I had my PS2 phat, the slim spoiled me. That looks much fatter than I remembered.

alr1ghtstart, if those are your pics, any chance of a ps2/ps3 vertical stack pic? Maybe top down, and front view.

tass0

Banned
PS2 is a sexy beast. I hate the "curve" shape of the PS3, you can't stack other consoles or whatever on it, but it's still a nice looking thing.

alr1ghtstart said:
towerofwin.jpg

Thanks, that puts it in better perspective. So from rough eyballing it ~2 cm shaved off, if the ps3slim = ps2phat rumor is true. Wish it was a bit more drastic, but I'll bite either way. Have been contemplating a second ps3.

tass0 said:
PS2 is a sexy beast. I hate the "curve" shape of the PS3, you can't stack other consoles or whatever on it, but it's still a nice looking thing.

You know how the iPhone 3G is tapered? Well the PS3 is curved for the same reason.

It allows more to fit inside at it's highest point, but gives the illusion of a slimmer/smaller device due to the curve

If the PS3 wasn't curved to house it's insides it would look one bulky device (it's already the biggest). Which explains why the Slim curve is less - They probably could of got rid of the curve in the slim entirely at the expense of it being as slim as it is. Although I guess they've just stuck with it due to it being how the PS3 is now remembered...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom