• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoJo13

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Oh, I'm sure there is a fuck ton of hardware in the channel, yeah. And who's talking about six million PS3s out there? I've heard upwards of three million worldwide as late as a month ago.

The thing is, anecdotal evidence in your case is pretty much 100% useless.

spwolf

Carl said:
I've been reading this thread since it was first started and have hence read every post in its 61

-Phat PS3 60GB dropped to $299.99 to shift the little remaining stock
-Slim PS3 120GB introduced at $399.99

well you obviously didnt read the memo.

noah111

Still Alive
spwolf said:
well you obviously didnt read the memo.
I think he means the 160GB/80GB units out there now. Would Sony really have a $299 160GB along with a $499 120GB Slim? :s Pretty sure it'll be the 80GB current phat that remains.

reKon

Banned
lol, poor Sony. Terrible marketing and terrible at keeping secrets = accurate description of how they truly fail this gen so far...

JoJo13

Banned
I still don't think they're going to release the PS3 slim at a higher price and then drop it in a month.

They'll introduce it at a lower price and bundle existing 80 GBs to get rid of inventory

Carl

JoJo13 said:
I still don't think they're going to release the PS3 slim at a higher price and then drop it in a month.

They'll introduce it at a lower price and bundle existing 80 GBs to get rid of inventory

Introducing it at a high price and eventually dropping it makes more sense, especially when considering they did exactly the same thing when they switched from 60GB standard to 40GB standard.

Culex

Banned
reKon said:
lol, poor Sony. Terrible marketing and terrible at keeping secrets = accurate description of how they truly fail this gen so far...

To be fair, they aren't failing this generation, but they certainly have lost what they had with the PS1 and PS2.

reKon

Banned
Culex said:
To be fair, they aren't failing this generation, but they certainly have lost what they had with the PS1 and PS2.

Oh, what I meant is that they fail specifically their marketing strategy and their prevention of leaks. This generation is far from over. They still have a good chance at generating an adequate amount of sales to make a profit and increase attach rates by the end if they have strong continuous support from the better developers.

JoJo13

Banned
Carl said:
Introducing it at a high price and eventually dropping it makes more sense, especially when considering they did exactly the same thing when they switched from 60GB standard to 40GB standard.

No they didn't. The 40 GB was introduced at the lower price.

Phreak47

Sentry said:
Hate to break it to you, but already posted last page j.

Yeah I just came back to edit my post, but you have beat me to it and brought much shame and disgrace upon my family!

(draws sword)

This is really getting interesting. If this is all true then Sony has got to be banging their heads on the wall right about now.

First PSP Go and now this:lol

I'm still kinda hoping the Slim will be 160GB HDD instead of this rumored 120GB HDD one, I'm pretty sure a 160GB is about the same price or cheaper than a 120GB HDD.

AranhaHunter said:
I'm still kinda hoping the Slim will be 160GB HDD instead of this rumored 120GB HDD one, I'm pretty sure a 160GB is about the same price or cheaper than a 120GB HDD.

The 120 is more about having a new number on the box than price I would guess.

JoJo13

Banned
AranhaHunter said:

How would you know that? If that were the case, Sony would go with the 160 GB HDD.

Sentry said:
:lol Great marketing on IGNs part, 1k extra hits confirmed.

It's not IGN's fault; it's the sites like thesixthaxis and vg247 that are running with this story and in the process exposing their own journalistic ineptitude. The fact that they think Greg Miller, the host of the Knocking Boots with Greg Miller segment (27:15-40:00), isn't joking shows that they don't listen to Gamescoop or Podcast Beyond very much. :lol

Hypecube

Banned
So what are the odds that the PS3 slim not only has 45 nanometer Cell, but RSX has made the transition to the 45 nanometer node as well? We've been hearing about rumblings about 45nm cell since last year. But no news on whether or not RSX has been given a die shrink as well.

I'm hoping that the PS3 slim had both Cell and RSX at 45 nanometers. but i thing the safe bet is that it will only have 45nm cell.

JoJo13 said:
How would you know that? If that were the case, Sony would go with the 160 GB HDD.

Just browsing around for laptops HDD, if it's cheaper for the consumer, it should be cheaper for Sony as well. I think newegg have 160GBs cheaper than 120GBers and pricewatch has it around the same price.....and 160GBs is the defacto laptop HDD nowadays. Just an educated guess on my part.

Likewise 320GBs HDD shouldn't be that much more expensive than 250GBs HDD, so that should be the size that Sony should include in their premium SKU IMHO.

spwolf

AranhaHunter said:
Just browsing around for laptops HDD, if it's cheaper for the consumer, it should be cheaper for Sony as well. I think newegg have 160GBs cheaper than 120GBers and pricewatch has it around the same price.....and 160GBs is the defacto laptop HDD nowadays. Just an educated guess on my part.

Likewise 320GBs HDD shouldn't be that much more expensive than 250GBs HDD, so that should be the size that Sony should include in their premium SKU IMHO.

except it is not cheaper :). sony orders hdd's in millions, so smaller hdd will be cheaper for them, retailer pricing is influenced by other factors which dont come in play when you have huge orders. In manufacturing industry, every cent matters, and nothing is spared to get to what looks like miniscule savings to us. I wonder if 120 GB will trully be standard. Or course, we dont know real pricing and usually higher end product carry bigger margin to the manufacturer, but price difference shown on pricewatch between 120 GB and 80 GB is quite large. $8 is a lot of money. I guess Sony is really serious about that online strategy :)

Wow never thought that my post would cause such a statement, im really sorry for posting something out of line, never thought there would be such a fuzz maybe because of my typing but well im sorry i really waited so long to be a member of this great and respectable forum.

Now back in the topic uhm maybe its me or whats the chance that Sony only confirms a price reduction in the current 160/80 gb SKU in Cologne so that people can buy it and present the ps3 slim more near Christmas time at $400 so that people can decide which they like most and when the 160/80 gb sku are gone they later on present the new price of the ps3 slim at $300 i think this will be more accurate or not?.

p.s. Sorry wollan for your avatar didnt know it was exclusive to you but your avatar is so good if theres seems to be an issue i can put it out no problem at all.

Ok seriously late here, but for those of you suggesting that the Slim will arrive attached to a higher retail (with the 120GB hdd)...

Sony is looking to clear stock of the 80GB model already, so we can draw that this will be the "junior" SKU of the PS3 under the 160GB model. Thus, we can expect that it will cost a lot less (I thought the whole purpose of this endeavour was to produce a less costly hardware revision?)

Of course, Sony has been known to go against what everyone else thinks...they could just pitch this as another "premium" model which I really can't see happening. :lol

Hypecube said:
So what are the odds that the PS3 slim not only has 45 nanometer Cell, but RSX has made the transition to the 45 nanometer node as well? We've been hearing about rumblings about 45nm cell since last year. But no news on whether or not RSX has been given a die shrink as well.

I'm hoping that the PS3 slim had both Cell and RSX at 45 nanometers. but i thing the safe bet is that it will only have 45nm cell.

I wouldn't discount this.

Hypereides

Gold Member
DieH@rd said:
t5g0nl.jpg

That doesnt even look like the Slim PS3. I cant see any resemblance to it.

Kujo

Hypecube said:
So what are the odds that the PS3 slim not only has 45 nanometer Cell, but RSX has made the transition to the 45 nanometer node as well?
Not likely, mainly due to the fact that the GPUs are either 55nm or 40nm. Now, whether the question of the RSX being 40nm already, probably not. 40nm GPUs thus far have suffered from shortages so far due to yield problems, and if a lot of the Slims are already being built, then I'd say the GPU will remain at 65nm or 55nm for now.

Zhuk

Banned
Mojo said:
Not likely, mainly due to the fact that the GPUs are either 55nm or 40nm. Now, whether the question of the RSX being 40nm already, probably not. 40nm GPUs thus far have suffered from shortages so far due to yield problems, and if a lot of the Slims are already being built, then I'd say the GPU will remain at 65nm or 55nm for now.

This would be true if the RSX was manufactured by TSMC, but the RSX is manufactured by Toshiba along with the CELL that's why it uses a 65nm process currently. Toshiba have got the 45nm stuff going, but if its ready for mass production already is another question altogether.

Zhuk

Banned
Hypecube said:

Sony are going to need to reduce the size of both chips to 45nm if they are going to be able to make the sufficient reductions of cost in components and materials they are looking for in a PS3 slim, not only this but also the issue of heat and energy consumption will play an important factor. A PS3 slim which has both the CELL and the RSX running at 45nm will be a very cool device.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Zhuk said:
This would be true if the RSX was manufactured by TSMC, but the RSX is manufactured by Toshiba along with the CELL that's why it uses a 65nm process currently. Toshiba have got the 45nm stuff going, but if its ready for mass production already is another question altogether.

We already heard they moved to 45nm early this year. For Cell. No word on RSX. And we still have yet to see any systems in the wild with 45nm. Which means they are stockpiling 45nm cell systems for some reason...

noah111

Still Alive
Internet Celebrity said:
Ok seriously late here, but for those of you suggesting that the Slim will arrive attached to a higher retail (with the 120GB hdd)...

Sony is looking to clear stock of the 80GB model already, so we can draw that this will be the "junior" SKU of the PS3 under the 160GB model. Thus, we can expect that it will cost a lot less (I thought the whole purpose of this endeavour was to produce a less costly hardware revision?)
I certainly wouldn't put it past Sony to have two PS3 Slim SKUs though, perhaps a 120G and a 40/60/80GB version, maybe the prices would be 300, 350, & 400? It's hard to tell at this point though, it would be kind of odd for them to keep ONLY the 160GB phat model out there, but who knows.

XTERC

In a dream world Sony would sell me a PS3 Slim without a HDD. I'm going to be adding my own anyway. Sell it online only through SonyStyle or something, you don't need to confuse the consumers at Walmart.

HUELEN10

Hmm, I had a thought...

What if Sony releases the Go AND the Slim on the same day? Plausible, or am I being insane again?

Zhuk

Banned
AndyD said:
We already heard they moved to 45nm early this year. For Cell. No word on RSX. And we still have yet to see any systems in the wild with 45nm. Which means they are stockpiling 45nm cell systems for some reason...

Toshiba also said that they planned to start producing 45nm RSX by March 2009 in their financial statements a while back, I think it would be safe to assume if they have perfected 45nm for CELL and that is in production that it is not a far stretch that RSX got the same treatment.

Dra-Q

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Hmm, I had a thought...

What if Sony releases the Go AND the Slim on the same day? Plausible, or am I being insane again?

September 2009: PS3 slim US+EU
October 2009: PSP GO US+EU

Same day would be BS.

spwolf

XTERC said:
In a dream world Sony would sell me a PS3 Slim without a HDD. I'm going to be adding my own anyway. Sell it online only through SonyStyle or something, you don't need to confuse the consumers at Walmart.

it costs like $10 for them for that HDD...

Dra-Q

Banned
A friend of mine from the Philippines send me a photo of the content of the PS3 slim's box.

o8rvyd.jpg

As you can see, Sony did everything possible to make the console cheaper. Wired Controller without sticks and rumble, external powersupply and they even removed the touch-sensitive buttons on the front. The biggest news but is, the PS3 slim will be DD only - like the PSP GO. But they're also increasing the value of the console. The slim will be bundled with a GunCon 4 by Namco and will be even smaller than a PSX.

The price for this slim bundle is rumoured to be
$499

Shiggy

Dra-Q said:
A friend of mine from the Philippines send me a photo of the content of the PS3 slim's box.

o8rvyd.jpg

As you can see, Sony did everything possible to make the console cheaper. Wired Controller without sticks and rumble, external powersupply and they even removed the touch-sensitive buttons on the front. The biggest news but is, the PS3 slim will be DD only - like the PSP GO. But they're also increasing the value of the console. The slim will be bundled with a GunCon 4 by Namco and will be even smaller than a PSX.

$499

startrek_spock.jpg

HUELEN10

Dra-Q said:

o8rvyd.jpg

$499
raq3ap.jpg

Kujo

Zhuk said:
This would be true if the RSX was manufactured by TSMC, but the RSX is manufactured by Toshiba along with the CELL
Ahh, didn't realise TSMC weren't producing the GPU. Well I guess that's possible the Slim will be using both a 45nm CPU and GPU then.

panda21

Dra-Q said:

o8rvyd.jpg

$499

wow, that is a huge downgrade imo. sony are in real trouble unless they can drop the price significantly and catch up with the 360

Hypereides

Gold Member
Dra-Q said:

o8rvyd.jpg

$499

Cant wait for the Funstation 3 to compliment my Polystation 1 & 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom