• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypecube

Banned
Sin said:
499 - 599?

Is this guy serious?

I Don't understand why anyone would think Sony would change there strategy when introducing a new Sku.

They'll drop the price on the what ever PS3 fats that are still in stock. Most likely the 80 gig will be reduced to $299. while introducing the Slim at 399. After they've run through all of their PS3 Fats They'll drop the Slim to 299.

They've done this with every new sku they've introduced. Besides selling the Slim for 400 dollars with more then make up for the money lost on dropping the Fatty to $299.

DR2K

Banned
TTP said:
You mean France? I though that was confirmed by Sony to be false...

Wasn't Germany also the other one? Confirmed false, eh? Regardless, the meat and potatoes of profit comes from software for retailers. It would take a massive price increase in the PSPgo to make up for software sales.

Yixian

Banned
PS3 just doesn't shift decent numbers of units at it's current price, and neither will a new SKU at the same price, whatever they release it should be less than the cheapest current PS3.

cakefoo

DR2K said:
Wasn't Germany also the other one? Confirmed false, eh? Regardless, the meat and potatoes of profit comes from software for retailers. It would take a massive price increase in the PSPgo to make up for software sales.
ding ding ding, now that you're all caught up...

cakefoo

Yixian said:
PS3 just doesn't shift decent numbers of units at it's current price, and neither will a new SKU at the same price, whatever they release it should be less than the cheapest current PS3.
If the Slim really does has a 120GB HDD and retains all the major functionality of the 80 and 160GB, then the Slim should probably be worth more than a fat 80GB. It would be hard for the 80GB to sell if it was priced higher than the slim. They'll absolutely have to pricedrop the 80 and 160GB this holiday, just before the Slim is released, because otherwise, at the current pace, the PS3 is going to get spanked this holiday just like last year if it goes another one without a pricedrop.

Maybe this will be the (US) pricing when the Slim is launched:

80GB: $299 (after $100 drop)
Slim 120GB: $349
160GB: $399 (after $100 drop)

But then again, maybe prices will be $50 higher across the board in an attempt to minimize their losses at the expense of marketshare. It is a tradeoff they've been making for the last few years, after all.

80GB: $349 (after $50 drop)
Slim 120GB: $399
160GB: $449 (after $50 drop)

That second set just looks too high though, even in Sony's situation. Some analysts say that even a $100 drop might not be enough. Which is pretty insane if you ask me though. At $299, that puts the 80GB at the same price as a 60GB 360, which has no wifi, no Blu-ray, and no free online. Maybe Sony will wait for MS to make the first move- they were said to be phasing out the Pro altogether pretty soon, weren't they?

Sin said:
499 - 599?

Is this guy serious?
:lol "Believe"

Anyway Sin. While you're here I was wondering if you'd feel comfortable saying something about the recent sighting in the Philipines, and if there is any truth to it. You've dropped some tidbits in the past(Which we're all greatfull for) so if you can't that's fine as well.

cakefoo

The 160GB is $499 at most places in the US. Amazon is the only retailer I know of that has it below MSRP- $479- and it isn't exactly setting the bestsellers on fire.

Maybe instead of $100 drop, they'll do $50, and bundle more software inside. They've been talking about "added value" for a while now in response to pricedrops, and the only added value we've seen is a couple retailer-exclusive bundles so far. They can bundle anything they want, but if people can't afford the minimum cost of entry, it doesn't make a difference.

Sin

CrushDance said:
Anyway Sin. While you're here I was wondering if you'd feel comfortable saying something about the recent sighting in the Philipines, and if there is any truth to it. You've dropped some tidbits in the past(Which we're all greatfull for) so if you can't that's fine as well.

I'd rather not really, I already said too much on this topic. >.<

Hydrargyrus said:
:D :D

Hahaha, You say a lot without saying anything

Or else you assume a lot just because someone isn't saying something :lol

There's like a 99.9% certainty of a PS3 slim coming, but what happens if the one in the Philippines is an unfinished prototype? Probably not the best of ideas for anyone close to Sony to be running around going "yeah it's real but unfinished, bumped out of the Q&A HQ lulz, Sony security sleeping on the job".

Plus I'd rather we don't get confirmation just to see how Sony handle it's unveiling, I'm sure there will be classy PR jokes about leaks :lol

Shiggy

Sin said:
This is all getting out of hand, honestly, I do not like all the attention my posts are getting. My name's all over the internet regarding these rumors.

The 'ban if wrong' thing I do not like, and it comes up in every thread I post in. You guys have to realize that things change, plans change, dates get shuffled all the time in this industry. I do not want to get banned and get bad reputation over something as trivial as a missed date on a rumor I post. Practically, its one mistake and all the previous positives are forgotten.

I know about the PS3 Slim, I have said that its planned to come out during fall '09 last year, but I can't tell you how many times the release schedule has changed. September is the last date I have heard, and I haven't said if it was a release or reveal.

Ultimately I might be wrong and for that I am sorry.

I'll just speculate about these things like everybody else from now on.

Yes, he said too much already :D

Hydrargyrus

Audioboxer said:
Or else you assume a lot just because someone isn't saying something :lol

There's like a 99.9% certainty of a PS3 slim coming, but what happens if the one in the Philippines is an unfinished prototype? Probably not the best of ideas for anyone close to Sony to be running around going "yeah it's real but unfinished, bumped out of the Q&A HQ lulz, Sony security sleeping on the job".

Plus I'd rather we don't get confirmation just to see how Sony handle it's unveiling, I'm sure there will be classy PR jokes about leaks :lol

Everybody knows that PS3 slim it's a true project, even exists at this time... mmm, I'm assuming a lot again lol

With respect to the Philippines-video-version, I believe it's a fake, probably the final version will be very similar, as you say, maybe a prototype

CurlySaysX said:
GT5 + Slim Bundle US$349 - October.
IMO

IMHO, Slim at 300€ in October
Bundles with Ratchet (October), Uncharted 2 (November) and GT5 (December)
October seems so early for Gt5

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Goldrusher said:
For years Polyphony has said "GT Mobile" would come after GT5. Now that stupid PSP Go will make us wait even longer ?

this shit already decided when they didnt show gameplay of GT5 at e3 .

GT PSP will hold GT5 for at least one year , Sony cant put 2 GTs in one year , this will be waste of sales and money on both systems, since they need to sell GT PSP untill it drop from media create top 50 ,so yeah.

i guess GT5 is fall 2010 title

Sin said:

it's cool, now we have an idea.
it's out of the 499-599 price range =D
it's all but a given, in regards to the statements made by sony.
september target date for launch.
the pics that surfaced are real.

cakefoo said:
If the Slim really does has a 120GB HDD and retains all the major functionality of the 80 and 160GB, then the Slim should probably be worth more than a fat 80GB. It would be hard for the 80GB to sell if it was priced higher than the slim. They'll absolutely have to pricedrop the 80 and 160GB this holiday, just before the Slim is released, because otherwise, at the current pace, the PS3 is going to get spanked this holiday just like last year if it goes another one without a pricedrop.

Maybe this will be the (US) pricing when the Slim is launched:

80GB: $299 (after $100 drop)
Slim 120GB: $349
160GB: $399 (after $100 drop)

But then again, maybe prices will be $50 higher across the board in an attempt to minimize their losses at the expense of marketshare. It is a tradeoff they've been making for the last few years, after all.

80GB: $349 (after $50 drop)
Slim 120GB: $399
160GB: $449 (after $50 drop)

That second set just looks too high though, even in Sony's situation. Some analysts say that even a $100 drop might not be enough. Which is pretty insane if you ask me though. At $299, that puts the 80GB at the same price as a 60GB 360, which has no wifi, no Blu-ray, and no free online. Maybe Sony will wait for MS to make the first move- they were said to be phasing out the Pro altogether pretty soon, weren't they?

I doubt there will even be any 80gb ps3's left once the slim launches. The 80gb is already starting to see serious supply constraints and I have to imagine Sony is deliberately timing the slim launch around September for a reason.

I think the 80gb ps3 will be discontinued in the same way the 20gb ps3 was. Sony didn't drop the price on that unit when the 60gb went down to $500, so retailers had to get rid of the few 20gb ps3's they had somehow. I remember even in late 07 Toys R Us was selling leftover 20gb's for $299.

So I think 80gb will remain at $399 for Sony for the next couple of months until the supply chain is dry, then slim comes in at $300 or $350. I'm not sure what happens with the 160gb though. There's rumored to be a 250gb slim that replaces that, but the 160gb inventory is still pretty healthy. So maybe Sony will sell a core 160gb ps3 for $450 or $400 when the slim launches. Then when those are gone the 250gb slim replaces that at the same price.

this shit already decided when they didnt show gameplay of GT5 at e3 .

GT PSP will hold GT5 for at least one year , Sony cant put 2 GTs in one year , this will be waste of sales and money on both systems, since they need to sell GT PSP untill it drop from media create top 50 ,so yeah.

i guess GT5 is fall 2010 title

You're joking right? Even if GT5 launches in November or December, that's still plenty of breathing space for GT PSP. And that's assuming that GT for PSP and GT5 for PS3 will somehow cannibalize each other.

And PD not showing any footage of the game months before launch means nothing. That's par for the course. GT5P was unveiled and released in a similar manner and Kaz has said GT5 will follow suit.

Ettie

Sin said:

Just caught up with your posts around the 20's pages. Please for the love of Gaf, stay involved here. Post what you're comfortable with, but stick around. Your tidbits helped me so much with my PSPGo decision.

OTOH, I don't know what it's like to be GAF-famous.

noah111

Still Alive
Sin said:
499 - 599?

Is this guy serious?
:lol Now we know how to get ahold of Sin to post in this thread :p

Seriously though, I've read this thread in its 60 page entirety and some of the stuff that came up from Sin and put on him were a bit excessive, the guy can't even fucking post anymore without a few people asking him questions lol..

Thankfully though, just like Sony and their 'no comment' thing, "you can say a lot without saying anything" :D

thejared

Bearillusion said:
I guess it not playing PS2 games doesn't really mean anything as that would be included in an upcoming firmware update if it were to happen.

For those still holding out hope and interested in a 60gig launcher, let me know. No warranty and the drive door has a tendency to stick, but she still purrs like a kitten.

DrXym

H_Prestige said:
I doubt there will even be any 80gb ps3's left once the slim launches. The 80gb is already starting to see serious supply constraints and I have to imagine Sony is deliberately timing the slim launch around September for a reason.

Even if Sony had a problem with pricing of the fat vs slim models they'd just shift the balance by bundling one or the other. For example, if the Slim were initially 80Gb and they still had 120Gb old models to move, they'd just bundle the Slim with a few games and slap $100 on the price.

In any event they'll ensure that the old stock is the cheaper option to get rid of it. Once it's cleared out they'll diversify the new model with new bundles, storage limits etc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't know if we're in 'serious' territory yet, but there have been some rumblings from retail (e.g. zellers) of supply drying up.

JoJo13

Banned
The best buy bundles and stuff are obviously an attempt to move inventory before a reveal.

I think the PS3 slim will launch @ $299 and they will just move inventory of the old PS3s by doing bundles. By the time they reveal the PS3 Slim, there will hardly be 80 GBs on store shelves.

yurinka

IMO:

at slim launch:
PS3 120/160GB slim + 1 or 2 games or DS3 bundle $399
PS3 120/160GB slim $349
PS3 80GB phat + 1 or 2 games or DS3 bundle $349
PS3 80GB phat $299

after some months from launch, when the phat stock is sold out:
PS3 120/160GB slim + 1 or 2 games or DS3 bundle $299
PS3 120/160GB slim $249

Woo-Fu

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Why do people think the slim will come out at 300 USD, I mean really?
Why do people think anything? Might as well speculate wildly, since all of this speculation is only good for momentary entertainment value anyways.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JoJo13 said:
Because the system needs a price cut.

This. Plus cheaper components should = cheaper price. And before someone mentions the PSP Go, with the PS3 Slim, they don't have to cater to retailers due to digital downloads, so stop bringing that up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The slim won't be $499 :lol It'll either be $399 or $299 or something in between.

The 160GB will be either $499 or $399 or something in between.

IMO those will be the two SKUs and they are the possible pricepoints. Let's hope for something less than $399/$499.

I reckon they've converted 80GB stock to 160GB machines in order to let them keep selling fats at >= $399 in the face of a 120GB slim. It's the only way IMO to explain how they're running out of 80GBs like this, in what seems like a pretty controlled fashion, and the sudden prominence of the 160GB (and the Ars mole's contention that the 160GB will have relatively unconstrained supply beyond the summer). And it's the neatest explanation I can think of of what to do with a reasonable number of remaining 80GBs short of selling them off at a massive loss (assuming the slim is going to be $299, a 80GB fat would have to be $249 or less in order to keep moving! A sudden extra loss of $150..). If that's what they're doing, it's quite clever.

I'd so be all over this if it had some sort of BC. As it stands now, I'll put up with a huge console if it means I can play my PS2 games.

Come on, Sony. Offer a solution. : ( Surprise us!

noah111

Still Alive
JoJo13 said:
Supposed 3 hour press conference..

But if we don't see the Slim at GC we will at TGS. So the Slim is either launching in Aug/Sept if announced at GC, and Sept/Oct of announced at TGS.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
The whole bit that Sony's got 3 hours or so booked for Gamescon, yeah. Loads of stuff to show I guess?

Gamescom keynotes are usually 1 or so hours of conference and then 2 or so hours of drinks and stuff. The conference won't be the entire 3 hours that the press is invited for.

Goldrusher

gofreak said:
Gamescom keynotes are usually 1 or so hours of conference and then 2 or so hours of drinks and stuff. The conference won't be the entire 3 hours that the press is invited for.
E3 was 2 hours and if they plan on showing at least as much + GT5 + PS3 slim + Jaffe's game + whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom