• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

Sony seems great with announcement leaks. Another one happened with European releasedates just a week ago:
planning2009.bmp

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Goldrusher said:
E3 was 2 hours and if they plan on showing at least as much + GT5 + PS3 slim + Jaffe's game + whatever

Conference will be 2 hrs tops. More like 1-1hr 30.

This thing is running from 6-9pm. I have no doubt this includes 'evening drinkies' and previous gamescom conferences have been this way.

Also..where did that list come from?

And why is GT5 on it, even if 'Not Confirmed'? :p

JoJo13

Banned
I just hope Sony's conference focuses on the Wand, actually.

A PS3 slim announcement would take all of 5 minutes.

But I really want to see more definitive details regarding the Wand -- how it looks, the sotware that will launch alongside it, etc.

The software, I would imagine, is coming from Sony's London/Cambridge studios that have canceled 8 days and The Getaway in favor of support this new device (I hope).

I hope we see some mature software for it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Shiggy said:

The site those came from claim they're still a rumor. It could turn out to be real, it might not, who knows. It's not that hard to pull dates out of places anyway when most retailers have placeholders, and September has been a long-held one for Uncharted 2 anyhow.

Shiggy

gofreak said:
Also..where did that list come from?

And why is GT5 on it, even if 'Not Confirmed'? :p

*looks at image* PS3Gen.fr
I can confirm that all dates of that list are right as of today, though I do not know about the Singstar titles.
GT5 might come together with the PS3 Slim? Who knows...I don't :D

Kagari said:
The site those came from claim they're still a rumor. It could turn out to be real, it might not, who knows. It's not that hard to pull dates out of places anyway when most retailers have placeholders, and September has been a long-held one for Uncharted 2 anyhow.

What does it matter? It's still another leak since Sony hasn't announced those dates yet.

noah111

Still Alive
JoJo13 said:
I just hope Sony's conference focuses on the Wand, actually.
That is somewhat doubtful, you really think they are going to have so much more 'concrete' software/info on the thing in just 30 or so days since their last showing? Again, doubtful, but one can only hope.. maybe they're saving a nice software demo, for all we know.

Sentry said:
That is somewhat doubtful, you really think they are going to have so much more 'concrete' software/info on the thing in just 30 or so days since their last showing? Again, doubtful, but one can only hope.. maybe they're saving a nice software demo, for all we know.

They'll be able to knock up a more polished video/demonstration, something as controlled as MS' was.

Issue for Sony at E3 was it literally looked like they seen MS show off Natal and put together something for the wand overnight. Not a dig at the tech, I think it's pretty cool, but the presentation was rough.

JoJo13

Banned
Sentry said:

It releases in the Spring (apparently).

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I think a product that will release so soon should have many of its details fleshed out by now, including software and hardware.

Also, if Sony's European studios are creating the bulk of support, then it wouldn't surprise me to see them reveal it at GC.

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah, their E3 demo was pretty rough. For all we know they might have been saving that for GC. But the question is do they have any stable software to show within such a short amount of time of their last demo? Again, who knows.. & like I said before I doubt it will be a spring launch, summer at earliest, and probably with limited software if so. It's best to think reasonably with this or else we're just hyping an imaginary device, but perhaps there are many studios working on the controller deeply right now? I sure hope so.

Dommel

Supposedly IGN has one and they talked about it on their podcast?

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/07/18/ign-on-ps3-slim-we-have-one-for-real/

It’s hard to tell whether IGN were either just trying to be funny or are actually really daft, because they might have just put months of speculation to rest by revealing that not only is the PS3 Slim real, but they actually have one in the office. IGN might well be hurrying to re-publish their latest edition of their podcast, but VG247’s Patrick Garratt might have already spoiled the party. The transcript of the bit we’re interested in happens just after 45 minutes into the podcast:

VegaShinra

DMeisterJ said:
I think they're lying... I listened to their podcasts, and it is definitely a joke.
It's a joke, but we know the Slim is real. The only reason they are joking about it is because the Slim is the worst kept secret in the industry right now.

Averon

Why would Sony give IGN a PS3 Slim after all the complaining Tretton made about leaks? If Sony were to give the gaming media a first-hand look at the Slim, it would be an outlet like GI.

Hypereides

Gold Member
If that list is true, Sony has to seriously start putting some effort into closing those leaks.

By the way whats that about LBP? French for Game of the year edition? or some new expansion/DLC pack?

Dra-Q

Banned
Averon said:
Why would Sony give IGN a PS3 Slim after all the complaining Tretton made about leaks? If Sony were to give the gaming media a first-hand look at the Slim, it would be an outlet like GI.

As I said, they made the same with the PSP GO. Hand-ons with new machines is nothing unusual.

VegaShinra

Dra-Q said:
As I said, they made the same with the PSP GO. Hand-ons with new machines is nothing unusual.
They would be under a NDA for it. Saying that in the podcast would have been a direct violation of it. They would have taken it out. Hands-on of new hardware isn't uncommon but IGN is just having fun with all the insane Slim rumors now. They know it's real, we know it's real, and if anyone is surprised about it when it gets announced in a month, then they are out of their minds.

spwolf

Dra-Q said:

what exactly would they hands-on with Slim? It should have same functionality... are they going to look at it sitting pretty and evaluate how good it looks?

As they said in the transcript, they should edit that out.

If, when the podcast goes live, it has been edited out, then we know it's legit. If not, it was a joke.

Edit: Nevermind. Didn't realize the podcast was already live, and that is where the transcript came from.

Are some of you guys really this dense? The IGN vid was obviously making fun of the ridiculously shaky-cam/shady nature of the 'slim' sighting video from the Philippines.

I still don't buy the authenticity of that original video or the idea that a 'slim' model got out somehow. (I think people are taking advantage of desperate-to-believe fans who are keying off of the info from whatever leak there might have been earlier in the year.)

I think a new model will come eventually, but I still have doubts about it hitting this year alongside a substantial price cut. There's a lot of hardware in retail channels and a lot of it isn't moving at a time when retailers are pulling back on their orders to begin with. This is due, in part, to slower sales and lower revenue projections for the near term, but also less credit extended to them and less ordering capacity to go around considering the upcoming deluge of hardware and software to take on. There are also less retailers around (due location closings and chain closings) to purchase them. So, unless the theory is correct about Sony quietly taking back existing boxes in the channels to re-release them for quick sale by boosting their value (a strategy which hasn't worked all that well, so far, at increasing their sales rate), I only expect the price cut this year and perhaps an announcement of a new model for later release. I'll be quite happy to be surprised at being wrong.

womfalcs3

Banned
highluxury said:
If that list is true, Sony has to seriously start putting some effort into closing those leaks.

By the way whats that about LBP? French for Game of the year edition? or some new expansion/DLC pack?

Yeah. It's GOTY edition.

MightyHedgehog said:
Are some of you guys really this dense? The IGN vid was obviously making fun of the ridiculously shaky-cam/shady nature of the 'slim' sighting video from the Philippines.

I still don't buy the authenticity of that original video or the idea that a 'slim' model got out somehow. (I think people are taking advantage of desperate-to-believe fans who are keying off of the info from whatever leak there might have been earlier in the year.)

I think a new model will come eventually, but I still have doubts about it hitting this year alongside a substantial price cut. There's a lot of hardware in retail channels and a lot of it isn't moving at a time when retailers are pulling back on their orders to begin with. This is due, in part, to slower sales and lower revenue projections for the near term, but also less credit extended to them and less ordering capacity to go around considering the upcoming deluge of hardware and software to take on. There are also less retailers around (due location closings and chain closings) to purchase them. So, unless the theory is correct about Sony quietly taking back existing boxes in the channels to re-release them for quick sale by boosting their value (a strategy which hasn't worked all that well, so far, at increasing their sales rate), I only expect the price cut this year and perhaps an announcement of a new model for later release. I'll be quite happy to be surprised at being wrong.

How do you know this?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think they were preparing a 'take the piss' game-scoop tv shakey-cam video with a 'ps3 slim' and that's what it was in reference to..although that episode never actually appeared.

I do think he was genuine when he said he thought it was real though.

About the slim itself, it would be nice if it did have a finish similar to the back of the psp 1000, like the guy who taped the footage allegedly claims. A ps2 matte finish with the disc loading area being heavy gloss seems odd.

H_Prestige said:
How do you know this?
You can get a feel for how much total hardware is out there by talking to folks across a decent slice of retail. Remember, there's more to consider than just Sony's stuff at retail as there's only so much volume in a glass of water...one that has shrunk a bit in the last twelve months...for everyone to have a sip at the same time. You don't need to know something from behind the scenes to see that, just as you really don't need to have privileged information to see that retailers are gearing up on the bigger selling platforms at the cost of lesser performing ones in the month before sales start to pick up on the traditional run-up to the holiday season.

gtj1092

MightyHedgehog said:
You can get a feel for how much total hardware is out there by talking to folks across a decent slice of retail. Remember, there's more to consider than just Sony's stuff at retail as there's only so much volume in a glass of water...one that has shrunk a bit in the last twelve months...for everyone to have a sip at the same time. You don't need to know something from behind the scenes to see that, just as you really don't need to have privileged information to see that retailers are gearing up on the bigger selling platforms at the cost of lesser performing ones in the month before sales start to pick up on the traditional run-up to the holiday season.

So you aren't sure. Where exactly did this there are 6 million Ps3s in retail channels thing start?

gtj1092 said:
So you aren't sure. Where exactly did this there are 6 million Ps3s in retail channels thing start?
Oh, I'm sure there is a fuck ton of hardware in the channel, yeah. And who's talking about six million PS3s out there? I've heard upwards of three million worldwide as late as a month ago.

gtj1092 said:

I'd like to know that myself :lol

The Ars mole says the 80gb ps3 will become a rarity in the next couple of months. About the same time the slim presumably launches.

Carl

I've been reading this thread since it was first started and have hence read every post in its 61 pages, but have only just worked out that i am a registered member and can actually post here...So, now that i have realised that i can post here, i wanted to just state my opinions on the prospect of the Slim. Don't care? Oh well i'm going to do it anyway.

Anyway all signs point me to believe that this thing is real, and i hope it is. Not because i want the sales to be +1bazillion (though that would dwarf even Ninty's sales) but because then more of my friends might own the consoles (i currently only have about 6 people i know in real life on my friends list).

Anyway, i look forward to GamesCon (or TGS) where this thing might be announced. Well, all signs from this thread point to this definitely being announced at one or the other unless something goes very drastically wrong. I think my money is on GamesCon for the reveal though.

And as everyone is guessing on the pricing structure for the release of the slim, i will state my guess too. I won't include the 160GB PS3 because i actually have no idea how much it costs at the minute, due to not living in America.

When Slim launches:

-Phat PS3 80GB dropped to $299.99 to shift the little remaining stock
-Slim PS3 120GB introduced at $399.99

Then, when remaining stock of Phat 60GB has gone (thouh possibly not immediatey after):

-Slim PS3 120GB dropped to $349.99

I don't think Sony will immediatley drop it all the way down to $299.99. If they drop it down to $349.99 first, they will no doubt recieve higher volumes of sales due to the minimal but effective price drop, AND importantly make more of a profit. This also would leave Sony free to drop the price again at a later date, ensuring another healthy increase in sales (though the strength of increase would obviously depend on timing of the price drop).

Anyway, i didn't realise this post was so long. Just wanted to state my opinions on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom